Adam Cole Reign

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
JTCole

Re: Adam Cole Reign

Post by JTCole »

Steen might have acted like a heel when he was champ but the majority of crowds sure didn't treat him like one. Cole is smarmy and chickenshit enough to draw actual heel heat now.
Mattxx87
Banned
Banned

Post by Mattxx87 »

JTCole wrote:Steen might have acted like a heel when he was champ but the majority of crowds sure didn't treat him like one. Cole is smarmy and chickenshit enough to draw actual heel heat now.
The fans loved to hate Nigel when he was champ too. It's called respect.

After Cole throws down Ladder War, and his match with Steen at Global Wars, and Tanahashi/Nakamura in New York, he will be just as respected. That will give him over ten **** matches since the beginning of 2013. Can't ask for more. He hasn't hit that groove yet. But he will.

EDIT: I want Jay to grab the title and win the Ladder War just so we can screwed out of Cole/Steen AGAIN. :lol:
ninetwentyfour

Post by ninetwentyfour »

Hee/face dynamics are so skewed right now in pro wrestling, especially in a company like ROH. The grey area has never been more prevalent . You're either good at what you do and get cheered regardless, or you don't get a reaction.

As far as Cole, I'm not a fan of the more dark/serious character. I really think he should have more of a pompous, arrogant, cocky twist with a hot chick on his arm. That wouldn't necessarily improve his matches, but I do think he would be much, much less boring, which is where I'm at with him currently.

I don't really buy the him "Working as a heel," because I have the same issues with his current extended singles that I have been the last few years. A real tendency to be contrived and plodding. Also, he needs to drop the flip piledriver asap because it looks like shit and generates a flat finish to 99% of the matches he uses it as a finish in.
watadam20

Post by watadam20 »

I've enjoyed it. The matches haven't exactly been top notch but there's been something about his reign I've really enjoyed and I hope it continues a bit longer (although I wouldn't be opposed to another Steen reign). He's got enough about him character and promo wise (not the most intense, passionate promo guy but certainly one of the most natural ROH has had in years) to carry the belt without having amazing matches (something someone like Elgin couldn't do). I just don't think he's gelled very well with anyone yet match wise. Hopefully that is coming because a couple of amazing matches could really kick his reign into sixth gear (maybe Ladder War V and his match vs. Steen will do just that - lets hope so anyway!)
Northwoods_Nightmare

Post by Northwoods_Nightmare »

watadam20 wrote:I've enjoyed it. The matches haven't exactly been top notch but there's been something about his reign I've really enjoyed and I hope it continues a bit longer (although I wouldn't be opposed to another Steen reign). He's got enough about him character and promo wise (not the most intense, passionate promo guy but certainly one of the most natural ROH has had in years) to carry the belt without having amazing matches (something someone like Elgin couldn't do). I just don't think he's gelled very well with anyone yet match wise. Hopefully that is coming because a couple of amazing matches could really kick his reign into sixth gear (maybe Ladder War V and his match vs. Steen will do just that - lets hope so anyway!)
With guys that can cut promos like Jay Briscoe and Kevin Steen, I have a feeling that we'll be going into these matches with a lot more excitement and anticipation than we've seen in Cole's reign yet.
Lone Wolf

Post by Lone Wolf »

Bump. After the Ladder war match, how do you guys feel about his run?
Marketh.

Post by Marketh. »

I want the finishes to his matches to go back to when he was teasing the heel turn. Where they weren't totally clean, but he was at least on his own and looked like a smart dickhead.

I wasn't minding the interference until Ladder War, because it's still inconclusive who's better - Cole or Jay. And Jay's winning because he pinned Cole clean 2 or 3 times in the buildup.
Last Real Man Hype
JigsawVs.Jason

Post by JigsawVs.Jason »

Ladder War was the first exceptionally good match of his reign, I really hope he stays champ until Final Battle, as I get the feeling his reign is only about to pick up steam in the coming weeks.
Last edited by JigsawVs.Jason on Sat Apr 19, 2014 8:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
"If anyone complains about how today's pro wrestling isn't as good as the past and isn't watching New Japan, their opinions have no validity." ~ Dave Meltzer
JTCole

Post by JTCole »

Pretty sure his reign is ending at BitW. They probably want a shock ending for their first live PPV.
jordidebaas

Post by jordidebaas »

JTCole wrote:Pretty sure his reign is ending at BitW. They probably want a shock ending for their first live PPV.
There would probably be more shock value if he retains, though it will depend on who he's facing, of course.
I was in the front line when we battled page 15
Thelone

Post by Thelone »

RD Evans obviously. Streak vs. title, BOOK IT LIZARD MAN !
http://thelone.be/ => My site, which means a bunch of random stuff really.
GardenStateSaint

Post by GardenStateSaint »

JTCole wrote:Pretty sure his reign is ending at BitW. They probably want a shock ending for their first live PPV.
There are other ways to have a shocking ending other than a title change. They might want Adam Cole as their golden boy of PPV for the first couple.
Tomato cans don't stand a chance.
Fidel Costco

Post by Fidel Costco »

I'm enjoying it. Most of his matches as champion have been very good, with a couple ok ones. Cole seems destined for big things.