Official Supercard of Honor VIII (New Orleans) Thread

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
DXvsNWO1994

Official Supercard of Honor VIII (New Orleans) Thread

Post by DXvsNWO1994 »

Note: Even though that technically, the Main Event will be announced on a future episode of ROH TV, Ring of Honor just announced the Main Event in an article on their website as well as Twitter, so I am considering it official.

Ring of Honor comes to New Orleans for the biggest wrestling weekend of the year to put on one of their trademark shows! Here is the card with other announced talent:

Supercard of Honor VIII
New Orleans, Louisiana 4/4/14

- Undisputed ROH World Title - Ladder War V - Adam Cole vs. Jay Briscoe
- IWGP Heavyweight Title #1 Contender's Match - Kevin Steen vs. "Unbreakable" Michael Elgin
- Grudge Match - Roderick Strong vs. Cedric Alexander
- ROH World TV Title Match - 2/3 Falls - "Sicilian Psychopath" Tommaso Ciampa vs. Jay Lethal
- No DQ Match - Mark Briscoe vs. Michael Bennett (with Maria Kanellis)
- ROH World Tag Team Title #1 Contenders Triple Threat Match - reDRagon vs. Hanson & Raymond Rowe vs. The Forever Hooligans
- Matt Taven vs. ????? (with Truth Martini)
- Silas Young vs. "The Barrister" RD Evans
- Six-Man Tag Team Scramble - The Decade & Adam Page vs. Adrenaline RUSH & Andrew Everett

Keep all discussions here...
Last edited by DXvsNWO1994 on Wed Apr 02, 2014 11:40 am, edited 9 times in total.
DXvsNWO1994

Re: Official Supercard of Honor VIII (New Orleans) Thread

Post by DXvsNWO1994 »

Here's the announcement article. Again, even though it will be announced on a future episode of ROH TV, they have announced it in this article on their website and their social media outlets (Facebook, Twitter, etc...), so I consider the match official.
At last year's Supercard of Honor, Jay Briscoe finally won the Ring of Honor World Championship in an emotional moment no one will ever forget. It was the culmination of years of dedication to ROH and Jay Briscoe looked poised to become another legendary champion. But all that changed after a devastating shoulder injury cut short the Briscoe title reign.

On July 3rd 2013, Ring of Honor stripped Jay Briscoe of his championship. It was the first and only time in ROH's history that its most elite world title was declared vacant. To determine a new champion, it was decided a 2 month title tournament would be held. ROH invited some of the top professional wrestlers on the planet to participate. But in the end - September 20th, 2013 - winner of the tournament and new champion would be none other than Ring of Honor's own Adam Cole.

When he returned to action, Jay Briscoe carried with him a championship belt which he declared was the "real" ROH World Title. His argument and frustrations were clear: he never lost his title. Adam Cole never pinned Jay Briscoe. Ring of Honor has taken what belongs to him. There can only be one world champion, and in the eyes of Jay Briscoe, that title still belongs to him.

At the same time, Adam Cole has no doubts as to the legitimacy of his title reign. He believes he was born to be ROH World Champion and his incredible rise to prominence was inevitable. He has surrounded himself with powerful, ambitious allies like Michael Bennett, Maria Kanellis, and - most importantly - his mentor, Matt Hardy. Adam Cole's transformation from gracious, hardworking underdog to the arrogant champion he is today has troubled and disappointed many people, but the fact remains: Adam Cole is the official ROH World Champion.

The time has come to settle the Ring of Honor World title situation once and for all. It is true that Jay Briscoe never actually lost his championship. But it is also true that Adam Cole came out on top of an officially sanctioned tournament to determine the World Champion. Jay Briscoe has not been pinned once since his return to Ring of Honor. On the other hand, Adam Cole has sustained several pinfall losses - in non-title matches.

On April 5th at Supercard of Honor VIII, pins will not matter. Submissions will not be a factor. In New Orleans, Adam Cole and Jay Briscoe will face each other in Ring of Honor's definitive match to end all conflicts: a Ladder War! Jay Briscoe definitely has the experience edge in Ladder Wars. But Adam Cole has one of professional wrestling's most prolific ladder match competitors in his corner - his mentor, Matt Hardy. It will be Jay Briscoe's "Real" World Title versus Adam Cole's ROH World Championship. Whoever wins this Ladder War will unify the ROH title lineage and be declared the true champion of the world.

This has potential to be the most violent, heated Ladder War in the history of Ring of Honor. Supercard of Honor VIII is part of the biggest wrestling weekend in the world and this World Title Ladder War is just one of the many exciting matches you'll see there live! To purchase tickets to Supercard of Honor VIII in New Orleans, click HERE!

You can also order the VOD right HERE!
187_Joeism

Post by 187_Joeism »

Almost 1 year in the making, pretty cool
DXvsNWO1994

Post by DXvsNWO1994 »

I gotta say I really like the Supercard of Honor VIII graphic.
The Dragon Saga

Post by The Dragon Saga »

Going to be awesome!
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

A great weekend I'll have in NOLA.
KL_

Post by KL_ »

It's gonna be interesting time in Ring of Honor during WrestleMania weekend ;)
BTW10

Post by BTW10 »

They have the wrong date in the article for SCOH. Proof-reading must not be honorable.
SteenMark23

Post by SteenMark23 »

Curious to see how the rest of the card will be rounded out. Elgin/Steen in a Number 1 Contenders match? BTW10 vs The Dragon Saga in a Fight Without Honor?
KL_

Post by KL_ »

SteenMark23 wrote: Elgin/Steen in a Number 1 Contenders match?
But Steen already won #1 Contender's Match at State of the art ;) Although you're talking about #1 Contender's Match for the ROH TV Title :D
TYFDK

Post by TYFDK »

ROH noted in the past that the Forever Hooligans will compete in singles matches at one or both of these nights.

Who would you guys like to see them against?

I'd love to see Roddy against Rocky and Cedric against Koslov.

Then the other day, have the Hooligans face either Adrenaline Rush or Whitmer and Jacobs.
The Dragon Saga

Post by The Dragon Saga »

SteenMark23 wrote:BTW10 vs The Dragon Saga in a Fight Without Honor?
If somebody going to the NOLA shows can make a sign that says this, I'll give them €10. Legitimately.

Also I'd win.
BTW10

Post by BTW10 »

I read in the Dragon Saga Newsletter that I'm going over. Sorry, guy.
DXvsNWO1994

Post by DXvsNWO1994 »

Some notes from the recent Newswire on possible matches:
- Truth Martini says he has a surprise for Matt Taven at Supercard of Honor VIII on April 4th in New Orleans. Truth was a huge factor in Taven's winless weekend inMilwaukee and Chicago in an effort to ruin Taven's life for firing him. We hope to have more details soon.

- Cedric Alexander has challenged Roderick Strong to a one-on-one match at Supercard of Honor VIII.
jordidebaas

Post by jordidebaas »

BTW10 wrote:I read in the Dragon Saga Newsletter that I'm going over. Sorry, guy.
I thought they were false
I was in the front line when we battled page 15
TYFDK

Post by TYFDK »

DXvsNWO1994 wrote:Some notes from the recent Newswire on possible matches:
- Truth Martini says he has a surprise for Matt Taven at Supercard of Honor VIII on April 4th in New Orleans. Truth was a huge factor in Taven's winless weekend inMilwaukee and Chicago in an effort to ruin Taven's life for firing him. We hope to have more details soon.

- Cedric Alexander has challenged Roderick Strong to a one-on-one match at Supercard of Honor VIII.
I wanna know what Truth's surprise is! Truth's been scouting Silas a lot it seems, think he'll be managed by him starting at this show?
BTW10

Post by BTW10 »

jordidebaas wrote:
BTW10 wrote:I read in the Dragon Saga Newsletter that I'm going over. Sorry, guy.
I thought they were false
Nope, DS has the scoopz.
Northwoods_Nightmare

Post by Northwoods_Nightmare »

I wonder which night ladder war will headline, and what will main event the other night? Maybe a tag team main event the other night?
DXvsNWO1994

Post by DXvsNWO1994 »

Northwoods_Nightmare wrote:I wonder which night ladder war will headline, and what will main event the other night? Maybe a tag team main event the other night?
The original article posted listed April 5th but ROH later corrected themselves (they noted this on Twitter) and it is indeed on the Friday Show, April 4th.
Double D

Post by Double D »

It's highly likely there'll be an autograph signing before this, right?