Official Supercard of Honor VIII (New Orleans) Thread

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
ROHWorld_Harry
Admin
Admin

Re: Official Supercard of Honor VIII (New Orleans) Thread

Post by ROHWorld_Harry »

I told all of you Lethal would turn heel!

(2 years ago...)
BigTChamp

Post by BigTChamp »

BTW10 wrote:
BigTChamp wrote:Anyone know if Briscoe actually bladed or if it was hardway?
I think this goes without asking.
Not necessarily, didn't they do a strict blading ban a couple years back?
fm20000

Post by fm20000 »

BigTChamp wrote:
BTW10 wrote:
BigTChamp wrote:Anyone know if Briscoe actually bladed or if it was hardway?
I think this goes without asking.
but you can't stop briscoe from going out there and doing it himself. You know how he is
JigsawVs.Jason

Post by JigsawVs.Jason »

if he did it on his own, I am grateful he did, that feud needed color and I hate this ban of blood in ROH. They don't have to do it all the time for insignificant matches like steen/Bennett, but a major grudge feud like Cole/Briscoe desperately needs some blood IMO.
"If anyone complains about how today's pro wrestling isn't as good as the past and isn't watching New Japan, their opinions have no validity." ~ Dave Meltzer
187_Joeism

Post by 187_Joeism »

After i see it i can´t tell, but i asume the blood was more because of Jay taking unprotected shots than for him blading.
Mr. Orange

Post by Mr. Orange »

I agree with the ban on unprotected chair shots. But IMO blood is fine every once in awhile if the guys get tested. Sometimes it could really help the crowd get into a match. By every once in awhile I'm talking like 2-3 times a year tops in big feuds.
Burnside

Post by Burnside »

Mr. Orange wrote:I agree with the ban on unprotected chair shots. But IMO blood is fine every once in awhile if the guys get tested. Sometimes it could really help the crowd get into a match.
ROH isn't "testing" anybody for anything.

Blading sucks. The problem with it is that casual fans all assume it's fake, because the real explanation that guys are slicing their own foreheads open with razor blades is so grotesque and disgusting that it would never even occur to the average viewer as a possibility.
Northwoods_Nightmare

Post by Northwoods_Nightmare »

Mr. Orange wrote:I agree with the ban on unprotected chair shots. But IMO blood is fine every once in awhile if the guys get tested. Sometimes it could really help the crowd get into a match. By every once in awhile I'm talking like 2-3 times a year tops in big feuds.
Just a couple times a year is perfect. It adds to the match/moment. When people are bleeding in every match, it adds nothing.
I also agree on unprotected shots with steel chairs. I don't mind it with plastic. Obviously still an impact, but I'm guessing not as bad. But again, limited to wild brawls that need that type of thing.
NaddaLot01

Post by NaddaLot01 »

Good show, not great.

Firstly, the line was so long because they didn't open the doors until nearly the advertised bell time.

The show fell in line with most of your other "Big" ROH shows. Consistent, solid wrestling, easy to watch, maybe a stand out match or two, but was ultimately hampered by booking and a lack of that extra intangible.

Alexander/Strong was about as fun of a 10 minute opener as you'd expect. Would have preferred this later in the card and for Alexander to have looked stronger in defeat, but they'll get there eventually.

Six man was better than the other ones they've done recently. Couple of very fun spots in this one.

Evans/Young started off really poorly, but when they got into the swing of things with some tricks, the crowd was buying into it.

Bennett/Briscoe was fun. They brawled around the venue and did some good spots. Bennett continues to be one of the flattest acts on the roster despite being one of the most pushed and having Maria.

3-way tag may have been my favorite match on the show. It was laid out really smartly and just fun action bell to bell. Unfortunately the finish was super deflating.

Lethal/Ciampa never really connected at all. The work was largely ok and they did have the crowd for the finishing sequence, but as a whole they've had better matches in the past. Will be interested to see how they sell the story considering Lethal won the title on his own over two years ago, and the idea is probably that Truth can get him over the hump like he did Strong. I'm only ok with the switch if it means Ciampa is being elevated to the main title scene. I really couldn't care less for Lethal at this point.

Elgin/Steen was everything you'd expect for 20 minutes.

Briscoe/Cole was the second best ladder war, I think. Attended Generico/Steen live and thought the one Friday was substantially more creative. They tried desperately to bust one another open in the first five minutes of the match. Once again, we got a very unfortunate, lame finish that detracted from the match. Oh well.

All in all I had a good time and it always enhances the experience when you have a big, active crowd.

Alexander/Strong - ***1/4
Six man - ***
Evans/Young - **1/2
Bennett/Briscoe - ***
3-way tag - ***1/4-1/2
Lethal/Ciampa - **3/4
Elgin/Steen - ****
Briscoe/Cole - ****
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

Not too impressed with either show I attended in NO. Both Cole and Steen had me thinking thinking "these two are too good for this shit."
BigTChamp

Post by BigTChamp »

Still no VOD? Whatever happened to getting the big PPV shows up by Monday morning at the latest? I'll have to wait till I see it but from everything I've read this sounds like a hell of a show. Also, what is "too good for this shit" supposed to mean? ROH is supposed to have the best wrestling in the world, no? Don't you want ROH to retain top talent?
YimYac

Post by YimYac »

fm20000 wrote:
BigTChamp wrote:
BTW10 wrote: I think this goes without asking.
but you can't stop briscoe from going out there and doing it himself. You know how he is
What the hell is this supposed to mean?
The Dragon Saga

Post by The Dragon Saga »

BigTChamp wrote:Still no VOD? Whatever happened to getting the big PPV shows up by Monday morning at the latest? I'll have to wait till I see it but from everything I've read this sounds like a hell of a show. Also, what is "too good for this shit" supposed to mean? ROH is supposed to have the best wrestling in the world, no? Don't you want ROH to retain top talent?
Supersonic feels they should be in WWE, because ROH's roster should suck so he can shit all over it for sucking.

And they spent the entire weekend in NOLA gathering from Steen's Weekend Escapade and all of the ROH guys Twitters. So that probably delayed it a day or two, as to why its taken until Thursday is anyones guess, but at least this could be the final time we got to do things this way with the hope uStream works out.
fm20000

Post by fm20000 »

YimYac wrote:
fm20000 wrote:
BigTChamp wrote: Not necessarily, didn't they do a strict blading ban a couple years back?
What the hell is this supposed to mean?
He takes unprotected chairshots to the head and blades insanely deep anytime he's in a hardcore match situation and sees no problem with it cause MAN UP BOY
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

I'll have my thorough breakdown of why all three indy events I attended in New Orleans were a huge waste of my time and money by this weekend. These couldn't even be up to par with Atlanta, and those shows had nothing blow away either.
JigsawVs.Jason

Post by JigsawVs.Jason »

Why are you even posting on here, if everything you do is bitch about ROH and praise WWE for everything they do? Isn't there a WWE forum you can go to? It gets really annoying, if you are not interested in the product stop posting on this forum, no?
"If anyone complains about how today's pro wrestling isn't as good as the past and isn't watching New Japan, their opinions have no validity." ~ Dave Meltzer
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

I'm sorry that I don't drink the kool aid on your fanboy forum.

Praise is earned, there have been times in which I was consistently blown away by ROH and nothing but vitriol towards WWE.

To be fair, there are enough lowest common denominator fanboys like you to offset a customer like me who can see how thin the roster is right now. So in terms if business, ROH is making the right choice. Can't say the same for WWN.
TYFDK

Post by TYFDK »

I don't mind supersonic. Like he said, he's been positive about ROH before as well. He's just down on it right now. Of course that could change, and of course it could not.

It's not like every post is putting down ROH. We've had trolls before, supersonic is certainly not a troll.
Mr. Orange

Post by Mr. Orange »

Briscoe doesn't blade that much. The last time I remember him bleeding in ROH is like Final Battle 2011. Also with the unprotected chair shots I can't remember that many either. Seems like a bit of an exaggeration saying he blades deep and takes unprotected chair shots in every hardcore match.
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

TYFDK wrote:I don't mind supersonic. Like he said, he's been positive about ROH before as well. He's just down on it right now. Of course that could change, and of course it could not.

It's not like every post is putting down ROH. We've had trolls before, supersonic is certainly not a troll.
TYB.