Official "Flyin' High" (Dayton, Ohio 3/22) Thread

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
Mattxx87
Banned
Banned

Re: Official "Flyin' High" (Dayton, Ohio 3/22) Thread

Post by Mattxx87 »

TYFDK wrote: I think this is the first time since like '07 that a 6-man tag has opened a show.
This is where my database and I come in handy.

Opening match six man tags, non-tv, descending newest to oldest:

1) ANX & TJ Perkins d. The Young Bucks & Mondo, Border Wars 2012
2) Chris Hero, Eddie Edwards, Hagadorn (Sweet N' Sour Inc) d. Magno, Jay Briscoe, & Steen, SCOH IV (2009)
3) Sal Rinauro, Chasyn Rance, Kenny King d. Dingo, Bushwhacker Luke, Alex Payne, SCOH III (2008)

And then none since Trios Tournament 2006, which was obviously opened by a six man tag. :D

4) Alex Shelley, Jimmy Rave, & Abyss (The Embassy) d. Jay Fury, Rinauro & Mamaluke, Trios Tournament 2006
5) CM Punk, Colt Cabana, Steve Corino d. Guillotine LeGrande, JImmy Rave, Oman Tortuga, Trios Tournament 2005
6) Fast Eddie, Don Juan, Hernandez d. HC Loc, DeVito, Masada, First Year Anniversary

Anything else?
sg86

Post by sg86 »

I thought it was a really good show.

The six-man opener was incredibly fun. It really stood out to me just how high Caprice Coleman gets on his crossbody in person. It looks crazy on DVD but in person it's just ridiculous. Lots of good spots as there should be in an opener. No idea why ACH is getting pinned in a match that includes Coleman though.

The MMA thing was hilarious. Bennett and Maria had the Briscoe's mannerisms down perfectly. I don't care much for Maria but she was awesome during this.

Four-way was nothing special but it was fun and did a good enough job of keeping the crowd going.

Elgin-Alexander was fucking awesome and right up there with the Elgin-ACH match from Dragon's Reign. Terrific in every way.

I was a little upset with the Fish-Steen antics at first but the tag match ended up being really good and it did a great job of getting RD Evans over more.

Taven-Ciampa was average. Nothing bad but nothing remarkable. I will say though that Taven is much better than he gets credit for and I kind of felt bad for him by the end of the match. He cut a promo about how he hears the boos and he understands them but he was brainwashed by Truth and that's not how he really is.

Styles-Hero was really great. The finish did seem a tad bit random, but the match was well done and I was incredibly into it. He cut a promo mentioning either his mom or grandma (not sure which) who was there and crowd popped good for her.

Main event was better than I expected. Kind of thought it would be a little half-assed with the screwery tossed in but they did a great job making it exciting and fun. Bennett has really gotten a TON better.

All in all, I'd say buy the show. It was a damn good time.
BTW10

Post by BTW10 »

DieHard wrote:And I really don't like Hero's booking. His return was great but now he feels like a second Jay Lethal who always loses in big matches.. Show sounds meh.
Why would Hero win here? He's already been in two titles matches and it's obvious that AJ is being built for a title match soon.
cviens

Post by cviens »

Any idea if they'll be releasing this show on DVD?
Mattxx87
Banned
Banned

Post by Mattxx87 »

They haven't released 12th Anniversary on DVD yet. But I imagine they want their DVD catalogs available before the NJPW shows so everyone can catch up, so, I have to assume the first week of May. It will still take 2 weeks to process and ship your order, in my experience.

I'm still waiting on GBH XI, 11YA, and 12YA DVDs which I ordered 2/21/14, and it hasn't even been processed yet. I've been less than pleased with how slow ROH is when it comes to releasing new DVDs and shipping them the last six months. Maybe it's a norm, but, I never ordered new DVDs before Pursuit Weekend.
cviens

Post by cviens »

Yikes. Well hopefully this will end up on DVD. Very interested in Hero vs. Styles.
TYFDK

Post by TYFDK »

Mattxx87 wrote:They haven't released 12th Anniversary on DVD yet. But I imagine they want their DVD catalogs available before the NJPW shows so everyone can catch up, so, I have to assume the first week of May. It will still take 2 weeks to process and ship your order, in my experience.

I'm still waiting on GBH XI, 11YA, and 12YA DVDs which I ordered 2/21/14, and it hasn't even been processed yet. I've been less than pleased with how slow ROH is when it comes to releasing new DVDs and shipping them the last six months. Maybe it's a norm, but, I never ordered new DVDs before Pursuit Weekend.
Good catch on the 6-man's there.

And did you buy those 3 DVD's at the same time? If so, they're probably waiting for the 12YA to be released before they send your order out. Probably to save on shipping costs.
Mattxx87
Banned
Banned

Post by Mattxx87 »

Oh definitely, I know they're waiting for it to be released on DVD. I did that on purpose to save on shipping, myself. Just a little disgruntled it takes this long. We're going over a month now. Pursuit took 5-6 weeks.

Six mans fact: Thanks. Anytime you guys want an obscure factoid like that, ask.
SteenMark23

Post by SteenMark23 »

cgstong wrote: Whitmer pinned ACH.
Surprise, surprise. :roll:
YimYac

Post by YimYac »

I love the whining that comes anytime ACH gets pinned
KL_

Post by KL_ »

Destroyed by Jay Briscoe :)
K.O.

Post by K.O. »

I made it out to the show last night as well, but I arrived late. I'll give some thoughts on the matches I saw, but know that I hate giving legit star ratings to matches I have only seen once live, I'm too busy absorbing the live experience to really worry about evaluating a match to that extent.

This was one of the better crowds I've seen at the Fairgrounds Coliseum. They didn't set up any bleachers, they just put out a bunch of extra rows of chairs and left a lot of standing room, which was quite full. I'd estimate the crowd in the 800 range give or take(which is a very good number considering the venue).

I missed most of the pre-intermission action, but I did get in early on in the Elgin/Cedric match, which was spectacular. Despite missing the first couple minutes, I feel safe calling it Cedric's best singles match in ROH. The false finishes were awesome, including one very believable one that happened late when Alexander pulled a roll-up on Elgin as he was in the middle of his finishing sequence. Following that Elgin re-initiated his buckle bomb, spinning sit-out bomb combo for the pin. If the feeling out process(the part I missed) was even above average at all then they flirted with four stars.

After the intermission Kelly and Corino came out for commentary and Charlotte(who was ring announcing) informed the crowd that they were going to tape some matches for TV and fired everyone up by spoiling the finish of Dayton upsetting Syracuse in the NCAA tournament.

Steen/Fish was comedy action. First Steen had an entertaining exchange with a heckler. Then the match started slow and frustrated Fish. He put on a couple of different leg submissions and Steen quickly grabbed the ropes which caused Fish to talk shit. Steen loudly declared that he would grab the ropes all night if he wanted and eventually he had the crowd chanting for the rope any time the rope was touched at all. He even had a crowd poll over who they preferred more- the rope or Fish? The crowd chose the rope which pissed Fish off further. Then Fish got a rope break of his own and received a chorus of boos that sent him into a fit. Before the action could ever pick up Steen blew a "snot-rocket" over the rope onto both members of reDRagon as they consulted ringside, and Kyle came in the ring to assault him, drawing a DQ. RD Evans came in swinging a ridiculous looking piece of luggage to save Steen from the double beatdown, and Steen requested a tag match as part of some entertaining mic work. Fish initially refused, declaring reDRagon above wrestling a "makeshift" tag team, until Steen questioned their balls, or lack there of. The tag match that followed was heavily comedy influenced, with nice interplay between Evans and Steen. Eventually Steen got the package piledriver on Fish and then threw Evans on top of him for the pin. Kyle broke up the pin with a chair a mili-second before the three count, drawing a DQ. RD, Veda, and Steen, along with an entertaining sign carrier, celebrated the continuation of the #NewStreak, which was touted as 67-0.

Ciampa/Taven was next, but it never really hit third gear. The crowd was pretty hard on Taven, but some funny comments resulted, including a "give Marty Jannetty his tights back" line, and some Pauly Shore jokes. At one point Ciampa put up his knees on a frog splash, which looked brutal. Taven did end up hitting the splash later but couldn't recover in time for the pin. Truth and Seleyzia ended up coming out to cost Taven the match, with Truth distracting Ciampa and the ref and Seleyzia hitting a low blow as Taven tried to convince her that she was too good to be wasting her time with Martini. Ciampa didn't see the interference and hit Taven with an inverted version of Project Ciampa, laying Taven's gut/chest out across his knees instead of his back. After they shook hands and Ciampa made it clear that he had not seen the low blow and appeared to offer Taven another rematch. Then Taven took the mic, and said he didn't blame the crowd for booing him due to the year he spent with Truth, he then promised to take out Martini once and for all in New Orleans. The match was very average.

Hero and Styles followed, with the hometown boy Hero entering first. The crowd was really split and heavily into both guys. The action was everything you'd expect from these two. The opening couple minutes were highly technical, and things got progressively quicker and stiffer. Hero booted the shit out of AJ on a couple of occasions and appeared to legitimately knock him silly at one point. From there things slowed a bit as AJ troopered on eventually locking on a calf-killer that Hero tapped quickly from, despite being very near the ropes. The ending seemed rushed, perhaps an indication that AJ was legitimately out of it. It was fun while it lasted though and probably still warranted a rating in the low threes, but with another five minutes it could have been special.

Afterwards, Hero took the mic and put over AJ, thanked Dayton, talked about growing up here, and thanked a woman in the crowd that may have been his mother. As he was speaking, The Decade came out with Jacobs walking to the ring with Page and interrupting and putting Hero down, while Roddy and BJ came through the opposite side crowd to jump Chris from behind. Some solid mic work from Jacobs here, after he stopped saying Hero's name a hundred times.

Cole and Bennett came out next, with Maria still in a camo get up complete with Briscoes t-shirt that she was wearing from a Briscoe-mocking comedy segment that I missed earlier in the night. Jay and Mark followed and were not surprisingly the crowd favorites in the match, though there was also not surprisingly a solid contingent that seemed to prefer Cole. The Briscoes controlled early, until the heels finally took an advantage they clinged to. Each Briscoe was able to get a hot tag during the match, and Mark had a pretty fun redneck kung-fu sequence, that Bennett and Cole would eventually mock once they rallied back. The action finally, but not shockingly, completely broke down and became a brawl at ringside with Mark pairing off with Bennett and Cole and Jay battling. Bennett took a couple hard bumps on whips into the guardrail, but went on to hit a box office smash(should I still call it that??) on Mark off the apron through a ringside table- prompting some well-deserved Holy Shit chants. This left the two would-be world champs with a few minutes to go at it one-on-one. Some nice superkicks were exchanged, but after a couple of attempts Jay was ultimately able to land the Jay Driller on Cole for a clean 1-2-3 in the middle.

Dem Boys celebrated the victory until they were jumped by Cole and Bennett, who executed the beatdown until Elgin came out for the save, chasing the heel contingent into the back. Elgin then got on the mic and put over Mark and especially Jay before informing him that he would be coming for him if he came out on top in Ladder War, drawing a next-world-champ chant from the crowd. He then turned his attention to the camera to deliver the same message to Cole. Mark then took the mic and talked about everyone drinking cold beers to send the crowd home happy.
Mattxx87
Banned
Banned

Post by Mattxx87 »

Sidenote: As for the Dayton/Syracuse basketball game; I have to say that one of Dayton's stars Scoochie Smith played high school basketball in the town I live in (Putnam Science Academy Prep in Connecticut) and was coached by high school friends of mine. So THAT is awesome. :D

Was a good weekend for the city of Dayton, Ohio.
DieHard

Post by DieHard »

BTW10 wrote:
DieHard wrote:And I really don't like Hero's booking. His return was great but now he feels like a second Jay Lethal who always loses in big matches.. Show sounds meh.
Why would Hero win here? He's already been in two titles matches and it's obvious that AJ is being built for a title match soon.
I was talking in general.. Everyone were so excited for Hero's return and now his momentum is gone.
MOOSE!
BTW10

Post by BTW10 »

DieHard wrote:I was talking in general.. Everyone were so excited for Hero's return and now his momentum is gone.
Probably because his matches have been disappointing so far and it looks like vs. AJ will be underwhelming too. That's not just in ROH either. He's yet to have a truly outstanding match anywhere. I would say his best has been vs. AR Fox in DGUSA, but even that wasn't too great.
The Dragon Saga

Post by The Dragon Saga »

I personally really enjoyed his Ringmasters Challenge with Cole. While it wasn't Joe vs. Kobashi or anything, it was a really good fun match to watch.

Flyin' High sounds like a really good show, and all reports suggest the place was pretty packed, seen some figures of 800 - 900 been thrown around, but at least the attendance is still Flyin' High - get it? Cause y'know the name of the event, get it? I'm sure you get it.
Marketh.

Post by Marketh. »

I really liked the Ringmaster's Challenge too, one of my favourite matches this year. Though I still think the stip is dumb.

The only Hero match I've been disappointed with so far is the Steen one. It better get a rematch.
Last Real Man Hype
jrlb45

Post by jrlb45 »

I was there front row and you could tell that Tomasso was pissed that the crowd was more into making fun of Sinclair by chanting Twinkies than watching/getting into his match
JigsawVs.Jason

Post by JigsawVs.Jason »

I strongly disagree with people claiming Hero's return has been disappointing. It was clear he wouldn't be featured too heavily due to the fact he is not part of the roster. But his matches have been good to great IMO. Addmitedly, he still needs that one outstanding match, but I envisioned him to be much worse coming from that filthy place called WWE where a wrestler's soul and passion rot and decay.
"If anyone complains about how today's pro wrestling isn't as good as the past and isn't watching New Japan, their opinions have no validity." ~ Dave Meltzer
JTCole

Post by JTCole »

JigsawVs.Jason wrote:I strongly disagree with people claiming Hero's return has been disappointing. It was clear he wouldn't be featured too heavily due to the fact he is not part of the roster. But his matches have been good to great IMO. Addmitedly, he still needs that one outstanding match, but I envisioned him to be much worse coming from that filthy place called WWE where a wrestler's soul and passion rot and decay.
Jeez tell us how you really think.