Steen & Roddy Going To WWE Camp - Possibly Elgin Too

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
BTW10

Steen & Roddy Going To WWE Camp - Possibly Elgin Too

Post by BTW10 »

From the Observer:
Roderick Strong and Kevin Steen are confirmed for the next camp, which will be from 3/24 to 3/26. I hope Steen contacts Mike Dolce, and gets into a major cardio routine and diet because the first day is how quick they can blow people up. Unless his cardio can outlast everyone, his getting tired fast combined with his physique will leave a negative opinion even as talented as he is. Michael Elgin was trying to get in on that camp but I don’t know if he heard from them or not.
supersonic

Re: Steen & Roddy Going To WWE Camp - Possibly Elgin Too

Post by supersonic »

Hope Steen and Strong go there, they've done everything they can on the indy scene. It's been literally a decade for Strong in ROH too, time for him to move on and make some $, learn how to show off the personality that he actually has.
Memphis Mark

Post by Memphis Mark »

I thought Kevin Steen and Michael Elgin were under contract to ROH. I read Steen is not free until August . I would guess that Strong is a freelancer since he is working for DGUSA/Evolve. Unless the contracts are kayfabe , how can they go to WWE camps ?
Heyzel

Post by Heyzel »

good luck to those guys especially roddy buddy has paid his dues But I just can not see steen making it ti the wwf unless he have a major overhaul with his weight
The Dragon Saga

Post by The Dragon Saga »

Memphis Mark wrote:I thought Kevin Steen and Michael Elgin were under contract to ROH. I read Steen is not free until August . I would guess that Strong is a freelancer since he is working for DGUSA/Evolve. Unless the contracts are kayfabe , how can they go to WWE camps ?
Steen can do a tryout and sign a contract so that when his ROH contract expires he joins. Or it could be agreed in principle that he does once his contract expires. Or who knows, maybe ROH will just let him out of it.
BigTChamp

Post by BigTChamp »

Selfishly, I hope they stay in ROH.. they're losing stars faster than they can make them, and the Wolves leaving was already a pretty big blow. I wouldn't count on AJ, Hero, or London being around for the long haul either. Losing any one of these guys right now would be pretty damaging.. losing all 3 might be a death blow, especially since a 15 dollar iPPV suddenly doesn't seem like such a great bargain anymore with the Network launch.
DXvsNWO1994

Post by DXvsNWO1994 »

Just because they go to a tryout camp doesn't necessarily mean they'll be signed. Adam Cole & Ricochet were at tryouts in the last year and they weren't picked up. Of course if they are offered deals, then more power to them.

This makes me kinda unsure about what Elgin's Contract Status is. Obviously it's known that Steen's deal expires in August and Strong is a freelancer now that he's appeared in Dragon Gate USA/Evolve.
Memphis Mark

Post by Memphis Mark »

Well it is a free country , people have a right work to wherever . I understand people want a shot , albeit a long shot , of becoming a millionaire However , I think it is poor form to attend WWE camps if you are under contract to ROH. I get why the guys want to work for the WWE , but it is still a horrible company that produces a crappy product. Elgin and Strong would be better off to split time between ROH and NJPW . They are wrestlers not sports entertainers. Just my take , does not mean I right . I don't think Steen has a shot , unless they want for a specific gimmick. Just my take.
LJimmy

Post by LJimmy »

WWE turned down the Wolves and Ricochet for being too small. How in the world is Roddy going to make it in? As been said with Steen, they won't look past his look and whether or not he's capable of performing these drills even though he can talk and put on a show for the crowd. Add to that WWE detesting people who make a name elsewhere. They don't stand a chance.
Northwoods_Nightmare

Post by Northwoods_Nightmare »

Not only are they going to try and get jobs (obviously), but I'm sure they're also looking at getting feedback and using it as a learning experience to improve.
Tim

Post by Tim »

I would be shocked if any of them get signed to be honest, Steen because of his weight, and Roddy and Elgin because of their lack of charisma. That being said, I hope they all get contracts, they deserve them.

And for those people who say the company will be in trouble if they get all signed, it will be a challange, but it won't be a death blow. ROH has Cole, Ciampa, ACH, and O'Reilly (They should think about bringing in some new teams and breaking up reDRagon and Adreniline Rush in the comming months), in my opinion those are the 4 guys who will lead the company into the future.

Sorry, I know that was off subject.
Memphis Mark

Post by Memphis Mark »

No it would not be a death blow to lose those three. If the NJPW deal holds up alot of new talent will be available. Karl Anderson , Doc Gallows , Young Bucks , Rocky Romero , Tama Tonga ,Alex Kolsov , Alex Shelly , Lance Hoyt and Davey Boy Smith would all be available in between tours of NJPW .

Per Kevin Kelly there are at least two dozens talents waiting for a shot in ROH . There are alot of guys though out the country that could break out in ROH . See Hanson , Raymond Rowe .

There are plenty of indy guys in the business , that are just waiting to breakout on a bigger stage .
Drake Younger , Willie Mack , Brandon Gatson , Steven Walters, John Skyler , Matt Cage , Christian Rose , Luke Hawx , Steve Anthony , Jason Kincaid , Ethan Page , Josh Alexander just to name a few guys .

ROH could also take some of the DGUSA talent : Johnny Gargano , Chuck Taylor , Drew Gulak , AR Fox . Uhha Nation , Rich Swann , Ricochet , Bravados , Tony Nese , Trent ? , etc, contracts will eventually all be up , so there is plenty of talent in the market ,

Steen and Strong have done everything in ROH . If they leave fine , if they stay that is great too. Elgin still has alot to do in ROH and NJPW. I want to see Elgin work Wrestle Kingdom and G-1 Climax.
Tim

Post by Tim »

Memphis Mark wrote:No it would not be a death blow to lose those three. If the NJPW deal holds up alot of new talent will be available. Karl Anderson , Doc Gallows , Young Bucks , Rocky Romero , Tama Tonga ,Alex Kolsov , Alex Shelly , Lance Hoyt and Davey Boy Smith would all be available in between tours of NJPW .

Per Kevin Kelly there are at least two dozens talents waiting for a shot in ROH . There are alot of guys though out the country that could break out in ROH . See Hanson , Raymond Rowe .

There are plenty of indy guys in the business , that are just waiting to breakout on a bigger stage .
Drake Younger , Willie Mack , Brandon Gatson , Steven Walters, John Skyler , Matt Cage , Christian Rose , Luke Hawx , Steve Anthony , Jason Kincaid , Ethan Page , Josh Alexander just to name a few guys .

ROH could also take some of the DGUSA talent : Johnny Gargano , Chuck Taylor , Drew Gulak , AR Fox . Uhha Nation , Rich Swann , Ricochet , Bravados , Tony Nese , Trent ? , etc, contracts will eventually all be up , so there is plenty of talent in the market ,

Steen and Strong have done everything in ROH . If they leave fine , if they stay that is great too. Elgin still has alot to do in ROH and NJPW. I want to see Elgin work Wrestle Kingdom and G-1 Climax.
I agree 100% with what you're saying about there being plenty of talent out there, and I wouldn't mind seeing them get signed... but Brandon Gatson??? Lol, he is awful.
Memphis Mark

Post by Memphis Mark »

Tim wrote:
Memphis Mark wrote:No it would not be a death blow to lose those three. If the NJPW deal holds up alot of new talent will be available. Karl Anderson , Doc Gallows , Young Bucks , Rocky Romero , Tama Tonga ,Alex Kolsov , Alex Shelly , Lance Hoyt and Davey Boy Smith would all be available in between tours of NJPW .

I agree 100% with what you're saying about there being plenty of talent out there, and I wouldn't mind seeing them get signed... but Brandon Gatson??? Lol, he is awful.
Yea. I just recalled his name from PWG shows. I should have gone with Brian Cage .
bik100

Post by bik100 »

Damn it, I wanted to see Roddy in TNA. :/
Fidel Costco

Post by Fidel Costco »

They both deserve a fair shot at the big time. Despite his physique, Steen has two pluses in his favor: skill and charisma. I know that may not be enough, but it can't hurt.

As for Strong, he controls the ring whenever he's in it, whoever he's against. He's best as a cocky, smarmy asshole.

On a side note: WWE should really reconsider Adam Cole. He's been on fire the past year between ROH and PWG.
The Dragon Saga

Post by The Dragon Saga »

BigTChamp wrote:Selfishly, I hope they stay in ROH.. they're losing stars faster than they can make them, and the Wolves leaving was already a pretty big blow. I wouldn't count on AJ, Hero, or London being around for the long haul either. Losing any one of these guys right now would be pretty damaging.. losing all 3 might be a death blow, especially since a 15 dollar iPPV suddenly doesn't seem like such a great bargain anymore with the Network launch.
I've read this line or variants of it I'd say 300 times over the past eight years and it always makes me laugh. Especially this one, as Davey and Eddie weren't all that big of a loss. Least when Nigel and Bryan left we were losing the top guys.
Mattxx87
Banned
Banned

Post by Mattxx87 »

ROH has never put themselves in a position where losing 1-2 guys would actually hurt them. They come, they go. They make (some) money, and sometimes they come back (London, Styles, Homicide). Guys that work for ROH know the money isnt always there, but, it's a very prestigious company known worldwide. They know for the most part you are treated right in ROH. Everyone gets an opportunity to prove they belong, some how some way.
AssShooter

Post by AssShooter »

The Dragon Saga wrote:Davey and Eddie weren't all that big of a loss.
I agree.
And for Steen, Roddy etc... departure, it has always be like that, everyone expect to be in WWE a day, and ROH is still alive even after having lost a couple of their top guy in a little amount of time in the past. I am 100% sure it will not be a death blow.
ImageImage
Burnside

Post by Burnside »

To be honest I don't see WWE ever signing Strong, Steen, or Elgin.

If this were the late 90s, all three guys would be signed by WCW, although Steen is the only one who would get used on Nitro. He would be in terrible hardcore matches with Brian Knobs and Mikey Whipwreck, but he'd be well paid. Elgin and Strong would be on the syndicated shows with Horshu, El Dandy, and Roadblock.

For those mentioning London, has a ROH even referenced him since he missed that show at the beginning of the year? I feel like he might be done for now.