Its a shame SCUM flopped like it did

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
Braggis

Its a shame SCUM flopped like it did

Post by Braggis »

It really sucks that angle ended up being such a wet fart. Especially considering all the build-up.

I was really excited when SCUM expanded at the 11th Anniversary Show. I was confident that, with guys like Corino, Steen and Jacobs affiliated with it, they'd avoid the trap of making it an nWo knock-off.

I think the biggest problem wasn't even necessarily even the booking but the fact nobody gave a shit about most people involved. Nobody cared about Rhett Titus or Cliff Compton, who ended up being the work horses. Rhyno only appeared once after that in his 20 second job at Steel Cage Warfare.

Add to that Steve Corino deciding to stop wrestling and instead take on the awkward pseudo-cult leader/hammy Heel commentator role. And their top dog biggest wrestler being an overweight, out-of-shape, haggard Matt Hardy.

If they'd have turned Adam Cole heel and had him as The Man instead of Hardy, used Strong and Whitmer instead of Compton and Titus, scheduled Rhyno more and told Corino he was fucking up... it could have been awesome.
Die Harder

Re: Its a shame SCUM flopped like it did

Post by Die Harder »

I've been watching the ROH vs Scum 3 disc set, i think it was a point of they didn't do anything once they did expand, and as soon as Steen lost the title, they jobbed out to him... i really think they dropped the ball on it... if they had put enough in, that steel cage warfare could had headlined Final Battle easy... it would had been a much bigger deal.
Ladrao12

Post by Ladrao12 »

I was under the impression that the SCUM angle would run to Final Battle, and we'd see a lot more, overall, from this angle. I wasn't a big fan of most of the guys in SCUM, to be honest, they're average wrestlers, but the angle was hot for a little while. Now seeing the alignment of Cole and Hardy, i'm definitely interested in what could have been with SCUM.
Sardonic Artery

Post by Sardonic Artery »

To be fair, most wrestling groups suck after a while (can somebody think of one that ends well without feeling cut short?).

For me, Scum sucked as soon as they brought in way to many people -- the night Rave, Compton, etc. joined. The core -- Corino, Steen, Jacobs and Rh(vowel)no -- was where it was at.
I am cosmetically pleasing.
felkerpat

Post by felkerpat »

I just feel like "We are here to kill the company" angles will never work in wrestling, it's just too unrealilistic.
Saying a wrestler isn't good because they're not in WWE is like saying a musician isn't good because they're not in Nickelback - Chuck Taylor
trufreedom

Post by trufreedom »

Eric Bischoff begs to differ.
Northwoods_Nightmare

Post by Northwoods_Nightmare »

It had so much potential and it's a bummer it went the way it did. It felt to me like all the matches were basically the same. The SCUM story also suffered quite a bit from the departure of Cornette. With him leaving, their whole purpose to fight the company, piss of advertisers, etc. was gone. After Steen left the group just seemed pointless.
BigTChamp

Post by BigTChamp »

I might be in the minority here, but I enjoyed the angle.. it gave ROH storylines a driving force and they ended it before it overstayed its welcome.