Apparently WWE is Passing on Eddie Edwards

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
Baxter Stockman

Apparently WWE is Passing on Eddie Edwards

Post by Baxter Stockman »

Eddie Edwards & Davey Richards won’t be back at the next NXT tapings and aren’t going to be offered a contract. The basic gist of the situation was that HHH didn’t want to sign them after the tryout camp because of their size. The feeling is they are loaded with guys who aren’t big who can go so the mentality is that they are looking for guys who can headline WrestleMania in five or ten years out of these camps. A lot of people went to bat for both of them, feeling they should get a deal and several pushed that they should go directly to the main roster. So HHH agreed to give them a several month tryout period. The problem with that at first is that WWE also didn’t want them on anyone else’s TV past the commitments they already had with ROH until the end of the year. But after the first taping, HHH made the decision not to sign them.
Source: Meltzer

Obviously Davey isn't coming back anytime soon (I think he's signed with TNA anyway, as he recently tweeted about having signed somewhere), but I'm holding out hope that Edwards decides to stick with ROH.

It would look silly after he just had his big farewell, but whatever. He has a feud with The Decade waiting for him if he does make the decision to continue working for ROH.
LJimmy

Re: Apparently WWE is Passing on Eddie Edwards

Post by LJimmy »

Edwards also had a farewell with PWG. I think they are both TNA bound. It has been well known that TNA has serious interest in signing them.
The Dragon Saga

Post by The Dragon Saga »

I hope Eddie holds out. If they have to bring him back sooner then maybe they wanted or something, Mania Weekend at Supercard could be perfect, just build Decade up and then have Eddie comeback seeking revenge alongside Lethal and whoever, London or Styles or whoever. Could be a nice moment.

Really hope they haven't signed with TNA. Davey can do whatever, but Eddie, God no.
JSP

Post by JSP »

Don't even know why there was a farewell considering they never signed contracts in the first place.
Mr. Orange

Post by Mr. Orange »

The reason why they weren't given a big farewell was this exact reason that there was a possibility they may be back soon anyway. If they went with Edwards and Richards in the main event with no buildup and big goodbye speeches ROH would look really silly right now. Eddie coming out and attacking Strong at 12th Anniversary would be awesome. A Strong and Edwards feud with a purpose could actually be really awesome right now, in my opinion.
LJimmy

Post by LJimmy »

Mr. Orange wrote:The reason why they weren't given a big farewell was this exact reason that there was a possibility they may be back soon anyway. If they went with Edwards and Richards in the main event with no buildup and big goodbye speeches ROH would look really silly right now. Eddie coming out and attacking Strong at 12th Anniversary would be awesome. A Strong and Edwards feud with a purpose could actually be really awesome right now, in my opinion.
I think this is a good point. I just wonder why they would give Eddie a farewell in PWG.
Smile

Post by Smile »

Davey and Eddie wouldn't be going around saying farewell in various indie promotions if they hadn't actually signed a contract with either WWE or TNA. It doesn't make sense.

Davey in TNA was inevitable. Eddie, I was iffy about.
Mattxx87
Banned
Banned

Post by Mattxx87 »

What I just said to a friend:
And the WWE "released" Davey Richards and Eddie Edwards after their trial period... effin christ. Im done with WWE. Ive said it before, but, I never had a real alternative since TNA sucked and I wasnt into ROH when I've said this before.. but.. Ive honestly enjoyed ROH far more in 2013 than WWE.. WWE is all about Lesnar and Batista and Orton and Cena.. this isnt ****ing 2003 anymore. Definitely just going to invest in ROH, as I have been most of the year.
I've bought Final Battle 2012, 11th Anniversary, Supercard of Honor VII, Border Wars, Best in the World, A Night of Hoopla, Death Before Dishonor XI, Glory by Honor XII, Pursuit Night 1, Pursuit Night 2, and Final Battle 2013 on either iPPV/DVD/VOD in the last 13 months compared to just Wrestlemania 29 on PPV and Summerslam 2013 on DVD for the WWE. It hasn't been intentional. I've just been far FAR more interested in Ring of Honor, and have changed from a casual fan to an investor willing to give them my money as much as reasonable and possible.

WWE has does everything opposite of what is good for business, refuse to push or put over new talent (Bryan, Ziggler, Cody Rhodes, Shield, Sandow?, messing up Ryback's entire push who was VIOLENTLY over at the Rumble) despite running an entire summer program on "what is best for business". That's why I haven't watched a single episode of RAW since the night they stripped Bryan after Night of Champions. I knew it was going to be a clusterfuck.

This entire rant has been the result of reading they passed on the Wolves. Davey may be hard to work with, but, they want guys who can main event Wrestlemania in the next 5-10 years? Yes, please continue to push 45 year old Batista and give R-Truth and Great Khali television time. :roll:
Last edited by Mattxx87 on Fri Jan 03, 2014 1:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
bik100

Post by bik100 »

Hope they signed with TNA, would be a good career move for them as a team.
JigsawVs.Jason

Post by JigsawVs.Jason »

bik100 wrote:Hope they signed with TNA, would be a good career move for them as a team.
Signing with TNA isn't a good career move for anybody.
God these TNA marks are killing me :D funniest thing I've read on here for quite some time :D
"If anyone complains about how today's pro wrestling isn't as good as the past and isn't watching New Japan, their opinions have no validity." ~ Dave Meltzer
ICHIFUJI

Post by ICHIFUJI »

Eddie didn't say farewell in NOAH. Hope stay long as ROH guy until singed with WWE.
DXvsNWO1994

Post by DXvsNWO1994 »

JigsawVs.Jason wrote:
bik100 wrote:Hope they signed with TNA, would be a good career move for them as a team.
Signing with TNA isn't a good career move for anybody.
I'd agree. Going to TNA right now, in the shape they're in and with all the bad rep they've been getting, wouldn't be a good move.

I believe Richards said on Twitter recently that he signed a contract somewhere (has to be with TNA or with Gabe), and if he does go there, more power to him. Edwards, however, I think will wind up back with ROH.
sg86

Post by sg86 »

the farewells were really more their peers being convinced they'd make it than Eddie and Davey assuming
TYFDK

Post by TYFDK »

I may get crap for this, but maybe the Wolves signing with TNA wouldn't be a bad thing.

There's a possibility (a small, incredibly small possibility) that TNA could have a rejuvenation this year, and with the Wolves there they'll probably have some decent matches which only helps.
DXvsNWO1994

Post by DXvsNWO1994 »

TYFDK wrote:I may get crap for this, but maybe the Wolves signing with TNA wouldn't be a bad thing.

There's a possibility (a small, incredibly small possibility) that TNA could have a rejuvenation this year, and with the Wolves there they'll probably have some decent matches which only helps.
I will say if The Wolves go to TNA, I would actually become interested in their product for the first time in awhile.
EcwHardCore07

Post by EcwHardCore07 »

If they go to tna they probably get a small push then disappear off tv like Kenny king
indyfan

Post by indyfan »

Im not surprised. I hope they don't come back to ROH either.
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

Mattxx87 wrote:What I just said to a friend:
And the WWE "released" Davey Richards and Eddie Edwards after their trial period... effin christ. Im done with WWE. Ive said it before, but, I never had a real alternative since TNA sucked and I wasnt into ROH when I've said this before.. but.. Ive honestly enjoyed ROH far more in 2013 than WWE.. WWE is all about Lesnar and Batista and Orton and Cena.. this isnt ****ing 2003 anymore. Definitely just going to invest in ROH, as I have been most of the year.
I've bought Final Battle 2012, 11th Anniversary, Supercard of Honor VII, Border Wars, Best in the World, A Night of Hoopla, Death Before Dishonor XI, Glory by Honor XII, Pursuit Night 1, Pursuit Night 2, and Final Battle 2013 on either iPPV/DVD/VOD in the last 13 months compared to just Wrestlemania 29 on PPV and Summerslam 2013 on DVD for the WWE. It hasn't been intentional. I've just been far FAR more interested in Ring of Honor, and have changed from a casual fan to an investor willing to give them my money as much as reasonable and possible.

WWE has does everything opposite of what is good for business, refuse to push or put over new talent (Bryan, Ziggler, Cody Rhodes, Shield, Sandow?, messing up Ryback's entire push who was VIOLENTLY over at the Rumble) despite running an entire summer program on "what is best for business". That's why I haven't watched a single episode of RAW since the night they stripped Bryan after Night of Champions. I knew it was going to be a clusterfuck.

This entire rant has been the result of reading they passed on the Wolves. Davey may be hard to work with, but, they want guys who can main event Wrestlemania in the next 5-10 years? Yes, please continue to push 45 year old Batista and give R-Truth and Great Khali television time. :roll:
Danielson is a much bigger star now than he was a year ago thanks to his push. Shield is a credible act that can be placed anywhere on the card. Cody has finally clicked by being a babyface tag partner with his brother and also thanks to HHH, Steph, and the Shield being tremendous heels. While clicking as acts and getting over, these names mentioned have also put on good to fantastic matches on an almost weekly basis.

Ziggler failed to click as a babyface, so I'm not surprised he was depushed. Ryback was a flash in the pan box office draw that lacked the substance to maintain a main eventer status. Atrocious on the mic and very generic in the ring.
Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine »

EcwHardCore07 wrote:If they go to tna they probably get a small push then disappear off tv like Kenny king
While this is, unfortunately, the most likely scenario, it is entirely possible that TNA could bring the Wolves in, have them just kill Bro-Mans for the tag belts and they try to rebuild that whole division around the Wolves. Lagana is the head booker in TNA, isn't he?
DXvsNWO1994

Post by DXvsNWO1994 »

EcwHardCore07 wrote:If they go to tna they probably get a small push then disappear off tv like Kenny king
Only a matter of time before King shows up in Dragon Gate USA & Evolve in my opinion...