First Decade Promo

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
mkpunk

Re: First Decade Promo

Post by mkpunk »

NickMann10 wrote:I like this gimmick a lot and i think they will play the heels as it seem ROH fans are pretty forgiving of guys when they leave to go to WWE and come back. Unlike ECW fans who would chant "YOU SOLD OUT" ROH fans glorify guys who are now with bigger companies. I think Jacobs will use that to bash the fans. Really good promo.
Good point. ECW basically crapped on guys who came from WCW (WWF not so much) while RoH chants welcome back, even from TNA guys (who is more WCW to RoH's ECW than WWE.)
Northwoods_Nightmare

Post by Northwoods_Nightmare »

I hope that eventually they end up with The Decade vs Hardy/Cole. Everyone expects Cole to be the next WWE golden boy eventually, and having Matt Hardy as a mentor plays into that perfectly. It would be great fuel for The Decade to feud with Cole. I think it could be a great story, as long as they book it very subtly and not like "I'm the champ and I'm taking the belt with me to WWE." since that's been done a couple times before.
Mattxx87
Banned
Banned

Post by Mattxx87 »

I like this idea of Decade vs Cole/Hardy, but I disagree about not using the title in it.

I love the idea of Jimmy Jacobs chasing Cole, only to win the ROH Title in Detroit finally (Jacobs/Cole III would be worth it), after a hot program, with Strong and Whitmer, Steen, Corino, maybe even Lacy? (Jacobs lip locking her with the title would be a HUGE pop) and others celebrating with him as he saves the ROH Title and Cole gets sent packing. That would be one hell of a "moment".

LETS DO IT MR JOHNSON!
YimYac

Post by YimYac »

I can't imagine Heel Jimmy vs Heel Cole being better than the recent Face Jimmy vs Heel Cole
Mattxx87
Banned
Banned

Post by Mattxx87 »

YimYac wrote:I can't imagine Heel Jimmy vs Heel Cole being better than the recent Face Jimmy vs Heel Cole
I dont see Jimmy or Decade remaining heels for very long. Everyone complained that Jimmy turned heel again, I simply see it as him getting pissed at people leaving. We can view it as a heel turn, but it's really just a shade of gray. If a "face" said the same thing (think Joe during 2005-2006), we wouldnt say it was a heel turn.

If and when Cole says he's leaving, Decade immediately turns face.
YimYac

Post by YimYac »

They attacked Eddie during his big emotional farewell.
Mattxx87
Banned
Banned

Post by Mattxx87 »

YimYac wrote:They attacked Eddie during his big emotional farewell.
Because they were angry that he was getting a standing ovation for leaving. The quote was "We have never wanted to leave, the only place we have ever wanted to be, is here." resonated that. They are playing neutral-bad at the moment. When they feud with AJ, they will get booed. When Steen leaves this summer, they will get booed even more during that program. When Cole leaves, they will be cheered.
Burnside

Post by Burnside »

Mattxx87 wrote:
Because they were angry that he was getting a standing ovation for leaving. The quote was "We have never wanted to leave, the only place we have ever wanted to be, is here." resonated that. They are playing neutral-bad at the moment. When they feud with AJ, they will get booed. When Steen leaves this summer, they will get booed even more during that program. When Cole leaves, they will be cheered.
I don't see that as "interesting" booking. I see that as "a mess".

PS They're clearly meant to be heels. Fans in general will have the same ambivalent, confused reaction to them as people in this thread, which is why the booking is already suspect.
Robareid

Post by Robareid »

Yeah, to me at least, they definitely feel like they're being booked as heels. I'm surprised anybody couldn't see that.
Tenryu's Perm

Post by Tenryu's Perm »

After the TV Tapings we should have a pretty clear idea of where The Decade stand as far as their alignment goes. I imagine sooner rather than later they are going to start shitting on us fans for being too accepting/welcoming of returning or leaving roster members. All three of these guys can play great faces or heels, but I don't really wanna see them as directionless, kinda bland tweeners.
Marketh.

Post by Marketh. »

I'd need some pretty solid evidence before believing they're anything but heels. The fact they don't approve of guys leaving for fame and fortune makes them the wrestler equivalent of that minority of smarks that chant "You Sold Out!" Not very likeable at all.

Just because BJ isn't motivated by money isn't much of a reason either. Age of the Fall weren't about that either. Oh, and attacking one of the most likeable babyfaces on the roster on the night he leaves is an even worse way of establishing babyfaces than when Homicide Cop Killa'd Generico for no reason the first show after Final Battle 2010.
Last Real Man Hype
Burnside

Post by Burnside »

I think the best angle ROH ran in all of 2013 was very simple:

Babyface Jimmy Jacobs must win 3 out of a 5 match series in order to get a title shot against heel champ Adam Cole in Jacobs' home town. Simple, logical, effective feud based on underdog babyface personality vs dickhead heel personality, and the importance of winning matches.

Bullshit like "The Decade" is the opposite of that. As a general rule, if an angle involves guys talking about "this business", "this company", "boys in the back", "this industry", "up north", "behind that curtain", "greener pastures", "the politics" and other worked-shoot stuff, it's going to suck, and I'm not going to like it.

Also, Jimmy Jacobs pauses too much in his heel promos. Maybe it's a deliberate choice to annoy me, in which case I guess is okay because he is a heel.

The only two things I like about this angle is that BJ Whitmer's career is apparently not over, and Roderick Strong is a least being booked to do SOMETHING.
Northwoods_Nightmare

Post by Northwoods_Nightmare »

Once Jay is through with Cole, I hope the Briscoes align themselves with the Decade. They'd be the perfect addition to the group. Heck, Jay's promos are basically Decade promos already; "Since day one!"
Braggis

Post by Braggis »

Such a random Heel Stable. None of them have anything in common and it makes no sense why they'd even form.

Not to mention Strong and Whitmer are just bland. That promo is proof. I think RoH clearly has no plans for Strong (he hasn't even been in a storyline in a year) and don't know how to book Jimmy unless hes in a Heel Stable so they threw this together.
JSP

Post by JSP »

Braggis wrote:Such a random Heel Stable. None of them have anything in common and it makes no sense why they'd even form.
It sounds like you're disregarding everything they've said so you can complain about it. It's pretty cut and dry as to why they formed...ya know, since they've said it all in their first two promos already.
JSP

Post by JSP »

Mattxx87 wrote:
Are you another one of those phony insiders that seems to pollute this board every couple months or so?
Braggis

Post by Braggis »

I don't mean its not clear WHY they formed. They're pissed at guys who "walk out" on RoH. But it makes no sense why these three guys, of all people, would randomly decide to team up and take on everyone who they think will leave RoH.

And they have zero chemistry together. Whitmer and Strong have always been crap on the mic and very stiff personality-wise. The whole Stable relies on Jacobs carrying it himself and getting it over.
Mattxx87
Banned
Banned

Post by Mattxx87 »

JSP wrote:
Mattxx87 wrote:
Are you another one of those phony insiders that seems to pollute this board every couple months or so?
Uh. Considering Ive been here for almost a year, but I disappeared during the Black Summer (How I refer to the period between BITW and DBD), perhaps you should actually read some of my posts. I dont run around giving matches ******3/4 ratings, nor do I defend TNA to the grave, nor do I make a new account when one is banned.

Just because someone disagrees with what you say, or someone says something you dont believe doesnt make them a troll. Steen has made his intentions clear. He plans on trying to go to the WWE during the summer. If they dont want him, he's okay with that, but he wants to try.
Sardonic Artery

Post by Sardonic Artery »

Braggis wrote:Not to mention Strong and Whitmer are just bland. That promo is proof. I think RoH clearly has no plans for Strong (he hasn't even been in a storyline in a year) and don't know how to book Jimmy unless hes in a Heel Stable so they threw this together.
Yeah, there was that early line about people not noticing they've been around a 10 years (which isn't true). Many have; they just want them to go elsewhere. That said, BJ has taken some sick bumps over the years and Roddy's finisher still rules.

As for Jacobs, agreed that another heel turn/stable is too soon, so I'm hoping for the tweener route. The 3 out of 5 series was more interesting, but there was really only one way it could end, so the end of those later matches was spoiled a bit. The Jacobs as champ bit has merit, though TV champ makes more sense.
I am cosmetically pleasing.
TYFDK

Post by TYFDK »

Thought I'd bump this thread to post the new video ROH just put up of the Decade, basically just detailing how they formed at Final Battle.

Also, never noticed Eddie's excellent facial expressions in the hug w/ Whitmer.