Petition for Ippv return

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
Robareid

Re: Petition for Ippv return

Post by Robareid »

jordidebaas wrote:
TYFDK wrote:I can't remember where I heard this, but the reason iPPV failed was because of the amount of people watching it. The servers couldn't handle all the traffic it was getting.

If ROH can find a server that can handle how many people are watching a PPV, then they'll be good.

It's entirely possible that even Ustream could fail, and that the technology is just not here yet for a good live feed on the internet.

I honestly think ROH should try YouTube to host iPPV's. They have live concerts on there all the time, and I've never had a problem watching them, and I imagine even a band like Bloc Party could easily get at least 5000 people to watch them, so ROH could get 2,000-3,000 easily.
Youtube has a good streaming service, but you don't have to pay to stream something on Youtube, so that wouldn't work either.
They do have some things that you do need to pay for.

But yeah, not signed. What they're doing now is fine. Would love for some events to be released a bit quicker though (Pursuit Night 2 still not out).
YimYac

Post by YimYac »

Not sure whats up with Pursuit Night 2

All the other events were up within a week however.

For the record New Japan's IPPV is $35 for the stream
JigsawVs.Jason

Post by JigsawVs.Jason »

I'd rather see ROH putting money into talent and booking guys like Styles, Hero or the Young Bucks than investing in a technology that is still flawed, even WWE couldn't stream Wrestlemania without technical difficulties.
"If anyone complains about how today's pro wrestling isn't as good as the past and isn't watching New Japan, their opinions have no validity." ~ Dave Meltzer
MooseNugget

Post by MooseNugget »

I think for them to grow they need to provide some kind of live event to show people live on pay per view. SBG is just not willing to fork out the money to do it right.
Robareid

Post by Robareid »

JigsawVs.Jason wrote:I'd rather see ROH putting money into talent and booking guys like Styles, Hero or the Young Bucks than investing in a technology that is still flawed, even WWE couldn't stream Wrestlemania without technical difficulties.
Amen. Give me a delayed AJ and Hero any day over neither of those two live any day.
Shook1

Post by Shook1 »

Like many have said in this thread, lets wait until its a fool-proof system. I am fine with the current format.
LongTimeROHFan
Banned
Banned

Post by LongTimeROHFan »

JigsawVs.Jason wrote:I'd rather see ROH putting money into talent and booking guys like Styles, Hero or the Young Bucks than investing in a technology that is still flawed, even WWE couldn't stream Wrestlemania without technical difficulties.

This is as intelligent a post as you will ever see in this thread.
Lol it was JSWO again - ROHWorld_Harry.
BalzOfHonor

Post by BalzOfHonor »

ROH has Final Battle 2013 out in 48 hours if I'm not correct, which is fine by me. So I am perfectly fine for the time being with VOD, they should focus on talent and booking more than anything else.
JSP

Post by JSP »

GenericoSteen2010 wrote:This topic doubles as Petition to ROH to re-initiate their Live Internet Pay-per-view for those fans who have followed the company primarily through said medium. The company has from now until the 12th Anniversary Show on Friday February 20th to bring those back. I can not justify cheating the fans who have followed this company since 2009 who can't get out of their own homes out witnessing an ROH through a televised medium just because of streaming issues anyone who wishes to please sign your name in comments section once this topic is posted.

GenericoSteen2010
Spoiled fans like you are worse than the lack of iPPV, brother. Stop while you're behind.
SteenMark23

Post by SteenMark23 »

Hellfont93 wrote: If SBG are willing to invest money in marquee talent like Styles, Hero, Piper etc. - then why not invest in top of the line iPPV technology?
Because there's no such thing.
YimYac

Post by YimYac »

Even Wrestlemania had streaming problems online.

Hell a few months back WWE had a PPV where the power got shut off and every single person watching TV or online lost the feed to the show for about 20minutes.
Shook1

Post by Shook1 »

The only company I haven't had an issue with is UStream and NJPW. But for the most part iPPV's are trouble right now.
Jeremy

Post by Jeremy »

YimYac wrote:Even Wrestlemania had streaming problems online.

Hell a few months back WWE had a PPV where the power got shut off and every single person watching TV or online lost the feed to the show for about 20minutes.
Nobody ever said accidents can't happen, and in the case of Showdown In The Sun Day 2 and that WWE PPV, that was due to weather/arena issues. However, the rate ROH had problems (Which varied from minor annoyances to major issues), after they repeatedly made excuses and assured a quality stream repeatedly, was the problem for many.

Honestly, they tried bringing it back for DBD I believe and it was a total misfire. Bringing it back would only cause more frustration. Their current VOD system seems to be working fine, they get them out fairly quickly for the most part so why change it for the sake of potentially no gain?
Mattxx87
Banned
Banned

Post by Mattxx87 »

They didn't "try to bring it back" for DBD. They announced that 48 hours before the show, and it was free for everyone. That was a test run with a live audience. They were testing out any new ideas they had, and from what I've heard it was a general success.

I feel like I already said that in this thread.
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

I really do find it hard to believe that people who can't wait a few days for this inferior ROH era do exist.
Marketh.

Post by Marketh. »

Mattxx87 wrote:They didn't "try to bring it back" for DBD. They announced that 48 hours before the show, and it was free for everyone. That was a test run with a live audience. They were testing out any new ideas they had, and from what I've heard it was a general success.
It was only a success in the sense that they could at last establish with absolute certainty GFL wasn't to be trusted.
Last Real Man Hype
Mattxx87
Banned
Banned

Post by Mattxx87 »

Marketh. wrote:
Mattxx87 wrote:They didn't "try to bring it back" for DBD. They announced that 48 hours before the show, and it was free for everyone. That was a test run with a live audience. They were testing out any new ideas they had, and from what I've heard it was a general success.
It was only a success in the sense that they could at last establish with absolute certainty GFL wasn't to be trusted.
When running a test, you can have different kinds of successes. You mostly get TRUE or FALSE/ERR results, regardless if they're positive or negative. That's how you debug a computer program or spreadsheet.

If 'x' view for this long, TRUE
If 'x' view for this long, FALSE
If 'y' bandwidth and 'x' viewers FALSE, where FALSE equals working stream

You learn all types of stuff like that using tests, which is what I'm positive they were using for information regarding GFL. The correlation in the report helps them fix things, or decide to change things entirely. 8-)

Therefor success doesn't always means it worked that night, but, you had the same sentiment.