AJ Styles returns to ROH!

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
DBSommer

Re: AJ Styles returns to ROH!

Post by DBSommer »

DXvsNWO1994 wrote:
I like the Strong vs. Styles match. Should be great! I kind of hoping now that AJ actually feuds with The Decade. Part of me is actually hoping that we get this, and it leads to (maybe) The Decade vs. AJ Styles & Paul London. That would be awesome!
I actually forgot that Styles and London were the tag team that never was, since it had been planned for the two of them to be a team, then London got some injury that necessitated Red replacing him and becoming champs with AJ> He and Aj were going to have a feud when WWE came calling. Would like to see them finally team.
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

DBSommer wrote:
DXvsNWO1994 wrote:
I like the Strong vs. Styles match. Should be great! I kind of hoping now that AJ actually feuds with The Decade. Part of me is actually hoping that we get this, and it leads to (maybe) The Decade vs. AJ Styles & Paul London. That would be awesome!
I actually forgot that Styles and London were the tag team that never was, since it had been planned for the two of them to be a team, then London got some injury that necessitated Red replacing him and becoming champs with AJ> He and Aj were going to have a feud when WWE came calling. Would like to see them finally team.
London vs. Styles II would cure men with ED.
Northwoods_Nightmare

Post by Northwoods_Nightmare »

If he's not involved in the Decade angle, I wouldn't mind seeing Styles' character be the anti-Hardy and work his way to a title shot vs Cole.
Mostly, if his appearances end up being at least semi-regular I hope Styles becomes part of some story line rather than just there to have matches.
Recall

Post by Recall »

I knew it. And we had people being all like "contracts say this", "this website says this", further proving that no one knows shit except the direct party involved.

Seriously awesome news and look forward to what matches take place, and vs. Strong is the perfect welcome back match.
In your honour.
bik100

Post by bik100 »

I wonder how ROH fans will react to AJ's slower style that he used in 2013 for the most part.
Mattxx87
Banned
Banned

Post by Mattxx87 »

bik100 wrote:I wonder how ROH fans will react to AJ's slower style that he used in 2013 for the most part.
If the company is smart, they would book Silas Young vs Matt Hardy (heel vs heel, but still) before the AJ match, so the pace of the Styles/Strong match will seem extremely good regardless if it really is. It would be an illusion, the same way a fastball seems faster after a changeup even though it isn't.

I don't think AJ has been working a slow style. Aside Aries and Hardy (who isn't exactly as limber as he once was either), who has AJ worked against that allows him to work a fast paced match?
YimYac

Post by YimYac »

Mattxx87 wrote:
bik100 wrote:I wonder how ROH fans will react to AJ's slower style that he used in 2013 for the most part.
If the company is smart, they would book Silas Young vs Matt Hardy (heel vs heel, but still)
Wait what
JigsawVs.Jason

Post by JigsawVs.Jason »

IMO that is just a result of the TNA roster being really bad; Styles didn't have any opponents to go a faster pace.
It is true however that he is not the Styles of 2005, we should not expect him to be as good as he was 8 years ago, but it'll be interesting to see if he can still hang with the top guys in the business.
"If anyone complains about how today's pro wrestling isn't as good as the past and isn't watching New Japan, their opinions have no validity." ~ Dave Meltzer
MooseNugget

Post by MooseNugget »

Recall wrote:I knew it. And we had people being all like "contracts say this", "this website says this", further proving that no one knows shit except the direct party involved.
lol I been going through the forum and I have been seeing a lot of that. You should just link someone to this tread when they start that.
JigsawVs.Jason

Post by JigsawVs.Jason »

reminds me a lot of when Daniels returned to ROH in 2010, hopefully Styles is as motivated as Daniels was three years ago and will deliver some great matches!
"If anyone complains about how today's pro wrestling isn't as good as the past and isn't watching New Japan, their opinions have no validity." ~ Dave Meltzer
Mike Adamle

Post by Mike Adamle »

JigsawVs.Jason wrote:
IMO that is just a result of the TNA roster being really bad; Styles didn't have any opponents to go a faster pace.
It is true however that he is not the Styles of 2005, we should not expect him to be as good as he was 8 years ago, but it'll be interesting to see if he can still hang with the top guys in the business.
AJ's as good as he ever was. Now instead of just being a spotfest type wrestler he can tell a damn good story in the ring now and incorporate some of those spots into the story as opposed to then before when he was just giving you move after move (not knocking him at all, he was still awesome then.)
BlackLesnar wrote:Seriously though, I completely agree with Mike.
Mr. Mojo Risin wrote:
Mike Adamle wrote:Should've named this show "Masters of the Roll Up"
This is the best post ever by Adamle. I laughed my ass off at this.
mkpunk

Post by mkpunk »

Mattxx87 wrote:
If the company is smart, they would book Silas Young vs Matt Hardy (heel vs heel, but still) before the AJ match, so the pace of the Styles/Strong match will seem extremely good regardless if it really is. It would be an illusion, the same way a fastball seems faster after a changeup even though it isn't.

I don't think AJ has been working a slow style. Aside Aries and Hardy (who isn't exactly as limber as he once was either), who has AJ worked against that allows him to work a fast paced match?
Didn't he interact with Kazarian, Daniels and even Joe this past year? I seem to remember at least one match with any of them.
Mike0284

Post by Mike0284 »

@ChikaraKingston
So @ringofhonor you suspended us to pay for aj styles who has been stuck in purgatory for years!Enjoy our payday aj, your welcome.#OutlawInc
TYFDK

Post by TYFDK »

mkpunk wrote:
Mattxx87 wrote:

Didn't he interact with Kazarian, Daniels and even Joe this past year? I seem to remember at least one match with any of them.
Cagematch.net says at least Kaz ("I think we all know where babies come from, KAZ!") and Joe. But he faced Daniels at last years Final Resolution, so that technically counts.
The Dragon Saga

Post by The Dragon Saga »

Pumped, like have been listening to VAST for the last half hour pumped, but I do wish they put together a better promotional image, knows its only a little thing but it does look rather sloppy. Anyone care to improve on it?
BTW10

Post by BTW10 »

Recall wrote:I knew it. And we had people being all like "contracts say this", "this website says this", further proving that no one knows shit except the direct party involved.
I hope you realize that the bush-league dirtsheets reported all of that nonsense. Meltzer nor Mike Johnson ever confirmed a new contract or anything like that.
bik100

Post by bik100 »

JigsawVs.Jason wrote:
Nah he slowed it down due to getting older and to fit the darker character. His matches are still on-par with where he was years ago, just replaced the flashy stuff with more storytelling.
ROHFanAnthony
Donator
Donator

Post by ROHFanAnthony »

I'm so glad it's official that he is coming. AJ vs Strong should be great. That was actually the first Impact main event I believe.
Hellfont93

Post by Hellfont93 »

ROHFanAnthony wrote:I'm so glad it's official that he is coming. AJ vs Strong should be great. That was actually the first Impact main event I believe.
Yeah, the first Impact on Spike TV :D I can't believe I still remember that!
bik100

Post by bik100 »

It was the opening match to the first IMPACT on Spike I think.