AJ Styles backstage at final battle?

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
Renegade121

AJ Styles backstage at final battle?

Post by Renegade121 »

Was Aj indeed backstage? If you answer yes please provide us with some proof
187_Joeism

Re: AJ Styles backstage at final battle?

Post by 187_Joeism »

Various sites reported that but nobody can proof it.
LongTimeROHFan
Banned
Banned

Post by LongTimeROHFan »

This was reported nowhere I read, PWInsider.com or F4WOnline.com. So the two lone credible news sites did not report this so I'll believe it to be false.
Lol it was JSWO again - ROHWorld_Harry.
Smile

Post by Smile »

Doubt it. Styles has a non-compete clause.
DXvsNWO1994

Post by DXvsNWO1994 »

Non-Compete Clauses don't prevent a wrestler from being backstage at another companies show to talk to people. Plus I thought I saw a number of people say that Meltzer reported AJ as being backstage last night...
LongTimeROHFan
Banned
Banned

Post by LongTimeROHFan »

DXvsNWO1994 wrote:Non-Compete Clauses don't prevent a wrestler from being backstage at another companies show to talk to people. Plus I thought I saw a number of people say that Meltzer reported AJ as being backstage last night...
Nothing from Meltzer at all. Be it from both audio or written. He did mention in the last newsletter ROH will be using Styles in the coming year at least on a partial basis.
Lol it was JSWO again - ROHWorld_Harry.
ADouble

Post by ADouble »

Styles doesn't have a non-compete when his TNA deal ends. To have a non-compete you must be under contract. From 12 o'clock tonight he can do whatever he wants. If he was backstage at ROH, its either to A) discuss with ROH management if they are in the same ballpark in terms of money for him to work ROH shows in the near future or B) get tongues wagging and set the rumour mill turning. Either way I doubt he's at ROH to give Cary Silkin a Christmas jumper. If AJ does come in, I do hope he gets rid of that silly haircut and leather jacket he's been wearing.

He's technically still TNA champion judging by their storylines. ROH should announce they've signed TNA's champion. You would think if they were going to allow him to leave, they'd have aired him dropping the belt by now.
DXvsNWO1994

Post by DXvsNWO1994 »

LongTimeROHFan wrote: Nothing from Meltzer at all. Be it from both audio or written. He did mention in the last newsletter ROH will be using Styles in the coming year at least on a partial basis.
So he confirmed that ROH will be at least using Styles in 2014?
Smile

Post by Smile »

DXvsNWO1994 wrote:Non-Compete Clauses don't prevent a wrestler from being backstage at another companies show to talk to people. Plus I thought I saw a number of people say that Meltzer reported AJ as being backstage last night...
Why would he be backstage? It makes no sense. He was at the TNA holiday party the night before in Nashville. I doubt he traveled to NYC during a snow storm to hang out backstage.
Smile

Post by Smile »

ADouble wrote:Styles doesn't have a non-compete when his TNA deal ends. To have a non-compete you must be under contract. From 12 o'clock tonight he can do whatever he wants. If he was backstage at ROH, its either to A) discuss with ROH management if they are in the same ballpark in terms of money for him to work ROH shows in the near future or B) get tongues wagging and set the rumour mill turning. Either way I doubt he's at ROH to give Cary Silkin a Christmas jumper. If AJ does come in, I do hope he gets rid of that silly haircut and leather jacket he's been wearing.

He's technically still TNA champion judging by their storylines. ROH should announce they've signed TNA's champion. You would think if they were going to allow him to leave, they'd have aired him dropping the belt by now.
This is incorrect. Styles' contract ends in October of 2014. There was an opt out clause in his contract that allowed him to opt out of his contract one year early to negotiate a new deal. However, his non-compete clause doesn't expire until Oct of 2014.
ADouble

Post by ADouble »

Smile wrote:This is incorrect. Styles' contract ends in October of 2014. There was an opt out clause in his contract that allowed him to opt out of his contract one year early to negotiate a new deal. However, his non-compete clause doesn't expire until Oct of 2014.
Is that why he can go to WWE and appear on iPPV and DVDs if he wants to? The deal is cancelled because both parties cant agree on a deal which would increase his salary. Therefor, he doesn't have a non-compete clause. You have to actually pay someone to not work. Something TNA cant afford to do. If they could afford to pay him for a non-compete, he'd be still working for them.
DXvsNWO1994

Post by DXvsNWO1994 »

Smile wrote: This is incorrect. Styles' contract ends in October of 2014. There was an opt out clause in his contract that allowed him to opt out of his contract one year early to negotiate a new deal. However, his non-compete clause doesn't expire until Oct of 2014.
What? [cornette]

Where did you pull that from? His contract doesn't end in 2014. It ended October of this year. If he had a contract 'til 2014, then why did they have to sign him to a 3-Month Extension when he won the World Title? Why would he be taking independent bookings? Just ridiculous information that's not even true...
Smile

Post by Smile »

DXvsNWO1994 wrote:
Smile wrote: This is incorrect. Styles' contract ends in October of 2014. There was an opt out clause in his contract that allowed him to opt out of his contract one year early to negotiate a new deal. However, his non-compete clause doesn't expire until Oct of 2014.
What? [cornette]

Where did you pull that from? His contract doesn't end in 2014. It ended October of this year. If he had a contract 'til 2014, then why did they have to sign him to a 3-Month Extension when he won the World Title? Why would he be taking independent bookings? Just ridiculous information that's not even true...
It's 100% true. Styles signed a 5-year deal in October of 2009, with an opt out clause in Oct of 2013. He can't appear on another company's iPPV, PPV, or DVD until Oct 2014 or with TNA's approval.
DXvsNWO1994

Post by DXvsNWO1994 »

That makes no sense. Care to explain, then, why everyone (and I mean EVERYONE) has been saying AJ is a free agent as of this week. Why? Again, why sign AJ to a 3-Month Extension if he has a 5-Year Deal? That makes no sense. Why is he taking Independent Bookings? You are literally the first person I've heard (and the only person I've heard) say this.
ADouble

Post by ADouble »

Smile wrote:It's 100% true. Styles signed a 5-year deal in October of 2009, with an opt out clause in Oct of 2013. He can't appear on another company's iPPV, PPV, or DVD until Oct 2014 or with TNA's approval.
You dont seem to understand what a rolling contract is. The 5th year is optional and because they cant afford to re-sign him they opted to renegotiate and when they couldn't come to terms the contract was null and void. Its unreal that you actually think he's going to have a non-compete where TNA doesn't pay him for a full year. Your whole post is insane.

Case in point, Bobby Roode signed for 5 years in 2009. In March his contract came up and because the final year was open for negotiation. TNA didn't realise his deal hadn't rolled over, and thus he stopped showing up for TVs in the lead up to Lockdown.
DXvsNWO1994

Post by DXvsNWO1994 »

ADouble wrote: You dont seem to understand what a rolling contract is. The 5th year is optional and because they cant afford to re-sign him they opted to renegotiate and when they couldn't come to terms the contract was null and void. Its unreal that you actually think he's going to have a non-compete where TNA doesn't pay him for a full year. Your whole post is insane.
Agree with this 100%.
JSP

Post by JSP »

Smile wrote:
DXvsNWO1994 wrote:
What? [cornette]

It's 100% true. Styles signed a 5-year deal in October of 2009, with an opt out clause in Oct of 2013. He can't appear on another company's iPPV, PPV, or DVD until Oct 2014 or with TNA's approval.
No one buys your insider gimmick, brother.
DXvsNWO1994

Post by DXvsNWO1994 »

I personally think that he's just in denial that TNA is losing AJ Styles and potentially Jeff Hardy, two of TNA's biggest stars.
Kenny

Post by Kenny »

ADouble wrote:
Smile wrote:This is incorrect. Styles' contract ends in October of 2014. There was an opt out clause in his contract that allowed him to opt out of his contract one year early to negotiate a new deal. However, his non-compete clause doesn't expire until Oct of 2014.
Is that why he can go to WWE and appear on iPPV and DVDs if he wants to? The deal is cancelled because both parties cant agree on a deal which would increase his salary. Therefor, he doesn't have a non-compete clause. You have to actually pay someone to not work. Something TNA cant afford to do. If they could afford to pay him for a non-compete, he'd be still working for them.
I'm not trying to be a jerk, but that's not how non-compete clauses work. A non-compete is a clause that must be fulfilled for the contract to be executed. For example, say I contracted you to paint my apartment for $2000 and there was a non-compete clause saying you couldn't paint any other apartments in my building until 6 months after you complete my apartment. Even though I'd pay you after you completed my apartment, if you were to paint someone else's apartment within that 6 months, you'd owe me my money back. Usually non-competes are pro-rated, so the amount of money you'd have to give back would depend on how many months into the non-compete we are.
ADouble

Post by ADouble »

Kenny wrote:
ADouble wrote:I'm not trying to be a jerk, but that's not how non-compete clauses work. A non-compete is a clause that must be fulfilled for the contract to be executed. For example, say I contracted you to paint my apartment for $2000 and there was a non-compete clause saying you couldn't paint any other apartments in my building until 6 months after you complete my apartment. Even though I'd pay you after you completed my apartment, if you were to paint someone else's apartment within that 6 months, you'd owe me my money back. Usually non-competes are pro-rated, so the amount of money you'd have to give back would depend on how many months into the non-compete we are.
I know how non-competes work, and your example isn't valid in this case. If you cant honor the original contract and there is no physical agreement anymore (which there isn't in the case of Styles and TNA), the painter or builder or in this case wrestler would be free to do whatever he wants. Which he is. Because they couldn't agree to a new deal. There is no contract, there is no agreement and the negotiations and short term deal suggests there is no leverage on TNAs side. Your example isn't what is being discussed.