Ring of Honor Events Schedule Thread

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
WHG

Re: Ring of Honor Events Schedule Thread

Post by WHG »

I'm not a Cody fan...and I'm personally much, much less interested in ROH than I was a couple years ago (when I cared enough to track attendance figures), but I do objectively believe he's had a measurable impact on ROH. I say this because coming to that conclusion kind of shocked me.

The first thing that I took note of was his debut in NYC. Final Battle sold out faster than any show in at least recent ROH history at the Hammerstein. Months in advance and faster than WOTW '14, which was far quicker than all of the shows there for at least a few years. To that point, the ONLY thing that had been announced for that show was that Cody would be there. This was also during a time where nearly all of their markets were down from the prior year and the recent pace of sales for NYC shows had been pretty sluggish. It's not like there was great momentum for the promotion then. So if not Cody, then why?

Following that, while Final Battle had the most anemic build and almost no buzz from the wrestling crowd, it was widely reported that the show did the best buy rate in company history. Given that he was really the only thing different about that show, he should get at least some of the credit for that as well.

Early in the year, markets that had trended downward drew much stronger crowds than they had in 2016, including Atlanta (which sold out), Pittsburgh and San Antonio. The promotion had pretty decidedly negative momentum but was drawing larger crowds and the only real difference was one guy: Cody.

You also had the Lakeland crowd, which I think is mostly due to the Bucks/Hardys, but Cody's match was probably the second most heavily pushed match on the card and should get a small share of the credit on that.

I don't see why people want to see him, but objectively I have to admit that so far they have. Saying otherwise basically credits ROH creative for the uptick this year, which I don't think many would argue is the case.
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

ROH ANNOUNCES GLOBAL WARS 2017!

http://www.rohwrestling.com/news/roh-an ... -wars-2017

Three events in three days – October 12th in Buffalo, NY, October 13th in Pittsburgh, PA, and October 14th in Columbus, OH – the tour brings the combined stars of ROH and NJPW to these cities for the first time. At this time, Ring of Honor is proud to announce that competing from NJPW, fans can expect to see the current ROH Television champion - KUSHIDA; The Killer Elite Squad; Hiromu Takahashi; and FIRST TIME IN THE USA – Yoshi Hashi. Also expected to appear, ROH World Champion Cody, ROH Tag Team Champions The Young Bucks, ROH Six Man Champions Dalton Castle and the Boys, Bully Ray, The Briscoes, Jay Lethal, and many more.

Tickets for these three events go on sale for Ringside Members next Wednesday, July 19th at 10:00 AM ET and for the General Public on Friday, July 21st at 10:00 AM ET.
AlexROH

Post by AlexROH »

Ufff, too much join shows this year. If we count Honor Rising, this is 4 tours in 1 year. Is fine for NJPW's expansión, but bad for ROH from a creative/storyline standpoint.

Btw, there you have your Omega title defense in October.
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

but Honor Rising is in japan...wotw in uk,what is the problem? :lol: :lol:
Thelone

Post by Thelone »

Instead of slowly phasing out NJPW (let's face it, it's going to happen soon enough anyway), ROH just goes full steam ahead into the brick wall like a bunch of clueless morons. I mean, NJPW is sending the C-team for those shows (+ Omega and Ospreay if this is the planned US title match) and no one could possibly give a shit about the debut of YOSHI-HASHI.
http://thelone.be/ => My site, which means a bunch of random stuff really.
BurningHammer

Post by BurningHammer »

Happy with the talent coming over, especially if you add Omega, Ospreay and maybe a couple more.

With that being said this is just really pointless for everyone involved, especially with ROH not running very little this month and the joint show in August it's just too much and just points to a massive money grab that may well fail as people will see it as over kill and not bother.

I actually can't wait until NJPW looks go to go out on their own it will actually mean ROH having to work for once.
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

im agree with that last part burning hammer they are very comfortable with this and is dangerous...njpw think about the next step and roh needs to create their own way.

killer elite squad, hiromu,kushida , yoshi hashi ( he is very good) are great names for this mini tour.
BurningHammer

Post by BurningHammer »

monster mafia wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2017 7:40 am im agree with that last part burning hammer they are very comfortable with this and is dangerous...njpw think about the next step and roh needs to create their own way.

killer elite squad, hiromu,kushida , yoshi hashi ( he is very good) are great names for this mini tour.
It's easy money right now, the only way they are going to change is if the numbers don't match and in a way i hope it bomb's ROH has shown on it's own it can create good numbers it doesn't need NJPW, just decent talent and booking which for the most part they have.
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

I think this is how NJPW's US expansion will look, honestly.

Maybe 2 solo mini tours of the US, plus Global Wars and War of the Worlds in 2018. One set of shows per quarter and then ramp up from there in 2019 if the numbers are there.

I just wish ROH would do more with CMLL.
Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine »

I'm not going to disagree with anything anyone has said about too much reliance on New Japan etc. etc., but I actually don't hate this. We're getting a different pack of guys than we usually get, and they're going to markets that don't usually get NJPW talent to see how much they can draw with a "B team" (although that is without factoring in the likeliness of Omega and Ospreay working these shows). I think it will pop a big house for shows that otherwise wouldn't get much attention because they wouldn't have any storyline significance. It's much better than just running that triple shot (or even a double-shot) with basically nothing like they're done with Pittsburgh/Buffalo the past two years.
Wilson

Post by Wilson »

A truly rare occurrence when me, famicommander, and Big Red Machine all appear to be on the same page. Those names listed are reliable talents to soup up any card, and can be utilized more flexibly than New Japan's most protected players. As to prevent special attraction burnout, it's probably a better blanket-idea to curate particular talent for different tours. I don't know if this will become a trend, but I think it's a way to book forward. As for the impending New Japan territory, these markets are probably not in New Japan's key plans in the near future--so, on it's face, I think it's smart short-term co-opting for both promotions.
Mr. Mojo Risin

Post by Mr. Mojo Risin »

Wilson wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2017 2:59 pm A truly rare occurrence when me, famicommander, and Big Red Machine all appear to be on the same page. Those names listed are reliable talents to soup up any card, and can be utilized more flexibly than New Japan's most protected players. As to prevent special attraction burnout, it's probably a better blanket-idea to curate particular talent for different tours. I don't know if this will become a trend, but I think it's a way to book forward. As for the impending New Japan territory, these markets are probably not in New Japan's key plans in the near future--so, on it's face, I think it's smart short-term co-opting for both promotions.
Yeah this makes sense. Although at this point isn't it like putting a band aid on a puncture wound? Within two years the relationship with NJPW will be dead.
TYFDK

Post by TYFDK »

Surprised no one's mention the Buffalo show is in Buffalo proper.
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

1. Two years is a long time in this business.

2. I am not convinced the NJPW relationship will end by then. I don't see NJPW getting a better US TV deal in that time and it's hard to say how many US events they will be running by that time, and in which markets.

ROH TV gets more than twice NJPW on AXS's viewership via the Sinclair stations alone. That's before factoring in Fite TV, rohwrestling.com, Charge, any international broadcasters, or any potential new ROH TV outlets from the Sinclair/Tribune merger.

If NJPW wants to be a truly national brand they will need much more than just AXS and NJPW World. ROH TV gives them that for essentially zero cost.
Mr. Mojo Risin

Post by Mr. Mojo Risin »

famicommander wrote: Sun Jul 16, 2017 11:25 am 1. Two years is a long time in this business.

2. I am not convinced the NJPW relationship will end by then. I don't see NJPW getting a better US TV deal in that time and it's hard to say how many US events they will be running by that time, and in which markets.

ROH TV gets more than twice NJPW on AXS's viewership via the Sinclair stations alone. That's before factoring in Fite TV, rohwrestling.com, Charge, any international broadcasters, or any potential new ROH TV outlets from the Sinclair/Tribune merger.

If NJPW wants to be a truly national brand they will need much more than just AXS and NJPW World. ROH TV gives them that for essentially zero cost.
Yeah I get what you are saying man, but with NJPW trying to establish a bigger foothold in the U.S. with the shows and the dojo (which I suspect Rocky Romero might play a big role in), I truly think they have the marketing strategy and the money to eventually part ways with ROH. It was insane how quickly they sold out the Cali shows.
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

Again, why part ways with ROH?

They've worked with smaller Japanese promotions within Japan before. I don't see any negatives to continuing to work with ROH while they grow. Delirious lets them do whatever they want anyway.
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

Any possible insiders think a Houston return is possible for Survivor Series weekend? I actually think that could be a neat annual Glory By Honor weekend going forward.
WHG

Post by WHG »

I'm not an insider, but I wouldn't count on them running a show SS weekend anywhere near Houston.

One thing that NXT has done effectively is chased ROH from the non-Mania weekends. This was the first year in a few they didn't run on Rumble weekend, seemingly to avoid the NXT head-to-head.
Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine »

WHG wrote: Sun Jul 16, 2017 5:54 pm I'm not an insider, but I wouldn't count on them running a show SS weekend anywhere near Houston.

One thing that NXT has done effectively is chased ROH from the non-Mania weekends. This was the first year in a few they didn't run on Rumble weekend, seemingly to avoid the NXT head-to-head.
This.
Mr. Mojo Risin

Post by Mr. Mojo Risin »

famicommander wrote: Sun Jul 16, 2017 1:49 pm Again, why part ways with ROH?

They've worked with smaller Japanese promotions within Japan before. I don't see any negatives to continuing to work with ROH while they grow. Delirious lets them do whatever they want anyway.
I can't dispute the last sentence at all.