Ring of Honor Events Schedule Thread

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
famicommander

Re: Ring of Honor Events Schedule Thread

Post by famicommander »

NWA does not deserve co-branding with the other three. Not by a long shot.
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

why do you hate nwa?
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

monster mafia wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 8:23 am Image

Stars from ROH, NJPW, CMLL and the NWA are joining forces to present Summer Supercard at Toronto’s Mattamy Athletic Centre on Aug. 9.

Riding a wave of momentum from last month’s historic G1 Supercard, Summer Supercard promises to be a sizzling spectacular that pro wrestling fans will not want to miss.

Tickets for Summer Supercard go on sale this coming Wednesday, May 22, at 10 a.m. Eastern for HonorClub members and Friday, May 24, at 10 a.m. Eastern for the general public.

Summer Summercard will feature the greatest wrestlers from the US, Japan and Mexico competing for championships and in dream matches.

Don’t miss your opportunity to experience the hottest show of the summer live in Toronto or streaming live for HonorClub!
so this is between g1 finals?? wow...i would put stardom instead of njpw.
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

monster mafia wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 8:43 am why do you hate nwa?
Because it's a sad joke. It's some serious Weekend at Bernie's crap. Billy Corgan is a vile, disgusting, stupid human being and the NWA represents the segment of wrestling fans that lives in the past, supporting nostalgia for nostalgia's sake and holding the business back.

People talk about the politics of ROH's ownership, and that's fair. But people like Billy Corgan and Vince McMahon? These are legitimately insane people and nobody should feel comfortable giving them money.

If it weren't for hipsters that weren't even alive when the NWA was relevant, people would see the NWA for what it is: a promotion that can't even run its own shows leeching onto better promotions and adding nothing to the equation.
Memphis Mark

Post by Memphis Mark »

famicommander wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 1:13 pm
Because it's a sad joke. It's some serious Weekend at Bernie's crap. Billy Corgan is a vile, disgusting, stupid human being and the NWA represents the segment of wrestling fans that lives in the past, supporting nostalgia for nostalgia's sake and holding the business back.

People talk about the politics of ROH's ownership, and that's fair. But people like Billy Corgan and Vince McMahon? These are legitimately insane people and nobody should feel comfortable giving them money.

If it weren't for hipsters that weren't even alive when the NWA was relevant, people would see the NWA for what it is: a promotion that can't even run its own shows leeching onto better promotions and adding nothing to the equation.
You are right McMahon is total nutcase. . I don't know enough about Billy to comment.
Chrisvegas27

Post by Chrisvegas27 »

I think that why their changing the booking and starting to build talent
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

so you hate corgan...i understand.
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

Memphis Mark wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 4:13 pm

You are right McMahon is total nutcase. . I don't know enough about Billy to comment.
Billy Corgan buys into everything Alex Jones says. He believes that the condensation streams left by jet engines are actually the government dumping poison onto the population. He's a bigoted, self aggrandizing lunatic.
Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine »

I, too, will express my bewilderment at how the NWA has become a part of this. They have no name-value and scream "old and irrelevant," and yet they've managed to worm their way into ROH and are consistently wasting time on ROH shows. I'll take Aldis as a commentator I'd take James Storm in a heartbeat, and would be perfectly accepting of Allysin Kay as a member of ROH's women's division, but I don't want the rest of these mediocre-at-best nobodies anywhere near ROH.
Laviemarg

Post by Laviemarg »

Saturday Night at Center Stage in Atlanta will be an international television taping on Saturday, Aug. 24. Honor For All in Nashville takes place Sunday, Aug. 25 and will stream live for HonorClub.

Tickets for both shows go on sale Wednesday, June 5 at 10 a.m. local time for HonorClub members, and Friday, June 7 at 10 a.m. local time for the general public.

Center Stage was the home of WCW’s television show in the late 80s and 90s, and ROH has been holding events there regularly since 2017.

The show at the Nashville Fairground Sports Arena will be the final wrestling event at the historic venue and ROH’s first appearance there in more than four years.

If you’re in the Atlanta or Nashville area, you won’t want to miss the hard-hitting, in-your-face action that only ROH can deliver live!

ROH PRESENTS SATURDAY NIGHT AT CENTER STAGE
(INTERNATIONAL TV TAPING)
SATURDAY, AUG. 24, 6 P.M. EASTERN
CENTER STAGE
374 WEST PEACHTREE ST. NORTHWEST
ATLANTA, GA 30309

ROH PRESENTS HONOR FOR ALL 2019
(STREAMING LIVE FOR HONORCLUB)
SUNDAY, AUG. 25, 7 P.M. CENTRAL
NASHVILLE FAIRGROUNDS ARENA
625 SMITH AVE.
NASHVILLE, TN 37204
Wilson

Post by Wilson »

I like the branding around Summer Supercard a lot. It's hilarious to see shell-promotion NWA being put on an equal footing to ROH, CMLL, and New Japan. Dave Lagana magic strikes again.
dhads7161

Post by dhads7161 »

Laviemarg wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 5:32 am The show at the Nashville Fairground Sports Arena will be the final wrestling event at the historic venue
I thought tonight's House of Hardcore show had that billing? Guess ROH got the date booked last minute. I love attending shows there, goid venue. May end up going but All Out is also the week after.
Montana

Post by Montana »

I could be wrong, but i didn't think ROH has ran Portland/Seattle before. Either way, these were poorly marketed. Grand Rapids looked like that too, 15 minutes before the show, but once it starts, all the people buying merchandise, meet and greets, and eating pizza/hot dogs sat down, and it filled out. ROH is clearly running bigger venues now, as they'd rather invest in bigger buildings... however i assume most of these decisions were pre-AEW.

A lot of negative energy with the IWC and ROH. ROH still has quite a roster of extremely talented wrestlers. Hopefully they can weather the storm. If you think about it, ROH has actually spawned NXT and AEW...the two hottest brands, yet all the fans forget about ROH.
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

Montana wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2019 2:16 am
I could be wrong, but i didn't think ROH has ran Portland/Seattle before. Either way, these were poorly marketed. Grand Rapids looked like that too, 15 minutes before the show, but once it starts, all the people buying merchandise, meet and greets, and eating pizza/hot dogs sat down, and it filled out. ROH is clearly running bigger venues now, as they'd rather invest in bigger buildings... however i assume most of these decisions were pre-AEW.

A lot of negative energy with the IWC and ROH. ROH still has quite a roster of extremely talented wrestlers. Hopefully they can weather the storm. If you think about it, ROH has actually spawned NXT and AEW...the two hottest brands, yet all the fans forget about ROH.
Just like the territories spawned the WrestleMania era. They failed to keep up.
Memphis Mark

Post by Memphis Mark »

I would imagine that the Northwest events were sold shows. Sinclair does not like to lose money . Anyway , ROH will continue on a downward spiral as long as Delirious is the booker. It is past time for Johnson and company to be replaced by ROH.
Montana

Post by Montana »

supersonic wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2019 6:12 am

I wasn't alive during the territory days but i enjoy watching old videos/documentaries, and basically from my understanding Vince bought out the promotions and/or key wrestlers to go national / close circuit. So i guess my thinking was that Vince/WWF made significant modifications to what was already being showcased in the territories. Vince wanted to go national, Close Circuit /PPV, and make larger than life stars (none of which was being done at the time). While territories were successful for a period with their syndication in local markets, Vince made wrestling in general more accessible. (Which is similar to what i think you meant by ROH and the territory comparison.)

In terms of what NXT is and AEW is ..... I look at NXT , which WWE/WWF has had developmental companies for a while, they noticed a large growth in popularity in Indy wrestling, and basically bought out it's top indy wrestlers to put on a "supercard" of the best of indy's. I don't really see NXT (at least not the television product) as a developmental. Thus, NXT would likely be vastly different if not for ROH, whom at one point, best of the indy's.

AEW... basically the ROH wrestlers banded together to start a new promotion, with more of their vision in mind, with large finanical backing. In terms of the product it's basically with same, with a slightly different take on it.

I guess i don't see major modifications from the ROH product to what NXT/AEW are doing other than a wider audience, and making it more accessible. Either way, good for NXT and AEW to capitalize on it, and too bad it looks like ROH may have missed a window of opportunity to strike while the iron was hot.
Big Red Machine

Montana wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2019 11:04 am
supersonic wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2019 6:12 am

I wasn't alive during the territory days but i enjoy watching old videos/documentaries, and basically from my understanding Vince bought out the promotions and/or key wrestlers to go national / close circuit. So i guess my thinking was that Vince/WWF made significant modifications to what was already being showcased in the territories. Vince wanted to go national, Close Circuit /PPV, and make larger than life stars (none of which was being done at the time). While territories were successful for a period with their syndication in local markets, Vince made wrestling in general more accessible. (Which is similar to what i think you meant by ROH and the territory comparison.)

In terms of what NXT is and AEW is ..... I look at NXT , which WWE/WWF has had developmental companies for a while, they noticed a large growth in popularity in Indy wrestling, and basically bought out it's top indy wrestlers to put on a "supercard" of the best of indy's. I don't really see NXT (at least not the television product) as a developmental. Thus, NXT would likely be vastly different if not for ROH, whom at one point, best of the indy's.

AEW... basically the ROH wrestlers banded together to start a new promotion, with more of their vision in mind, with large finanical backing. In terms of the product it's basically with same, with a slightly different take on it.

I guess i don't see major modifications from the ROH product to what NXT/AEW are doing other than a wider audience, and making it more accessible. Either way, good for NXT and AEW to capitalize on it, and too bad it looks like ROH may have missed a window of opportunity to strike while the iron was hot.
There is tremendous gap in the booking between ROH and NXT.
Montana

Post by Montana »

To me, the booking is an opinion thing though. I don't think the ROH booking is bad as people make it out to be. They have direction with their stars, they have clear heels/faces. They have continuity to their storylines. They don't insult fans intelligence as much as other companies. Kind of the basics, but many companies can't even get that right. Now is it free of mistakes, no to me no company has perfect booking. In fact, you could even say NXT is VERY predictable. Plus the whole goal/intent of NXT is supposed to be a developmental company, and you could argue is not doing a good job in that aspect. Could be the main wwe roster that ruins them, but my opinion having guys like Kyle O Reily and Bobby Fish (wrestlers) being a focal point, hurt the overall WWE product, BC a new comer like let's say Elias (entertainer) may not get featured/utilized/given an opportunity in NXT.

Now i think where the disconnect between the booking/fans... is that when the fans want ROH to push guys like Marty or Jeff Cobb... They won't push them over guys like Kenny King or Matt Taven, who have proven their loyalty, and have a longer time left on their contract. I get it. I'd rather push the guys that will be around for more than 6-12months too. Sure, i don't want cheeseburger on the roster, but imo a minor complaint in the grand scheme of things.

My opinion, ROH is lacking in the digital distribution, ease of access, and ability to market/promote the product.
Big Red Machine

Montana wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2019 3:38 pm To me, the booking is an opinion thing though. I don't think the ROH booking is bad as people make it out to be. They have direction with their stars, they have clear heels/faces. They have continuity to their storylines. They don't insult fans intelligence as much as other companies. Kind of the basics, but many companies can't even get that right. Now is it free of mistakes, no to me no company has perfect booking. In fact, you could even say NXT is VERY predictable. Plus the whole goal/intent of NXT is supposed to be a developmental company, and you could argue is not doing a good job in that aspect. Could be the main wwe roster that ruins them, but my opinion having guys like Kyle O Reily and Bobby Fish (wrestlers) being a focal point, hurt the overall WWE product, BC a new comer like let's say Elias (entertainer) may not get featured/utilized/given an opportunity in NXT.

Now i think where the disconnect between the booking/fans... is that when the fans want ROH to push guys like Marty or Jeff Cobb... They won't push them over guys like Kenny King or Matt Taven, who have proven their loyalty, and have a longer time left on their contract. I get it. I'd rather push the guys that will be around for more than 6-12months too. Sure, i don't want cheeseburger on the roster, but imo a minor complaint in the grand scheme of things.

My opinion, ROH is lacking in the digital distribution, ease of access, and ability to market/promote the product.
Your criticism of NXT's failure as a developmental territory is fair, but I'd argue it's irrelevant. Whatever you or I might think NXT should be doing is not relevant to an evaluation of whether the booking succeeds at doing what it has chosen to try to do.

I disagree that predictability is an inherently negative quality in storytelling. It's certainly a boon if you can make it work for you (i.e. surprise people in a way that makes sense, not in a "surprise for the sake of a surprise" kind of way), but many great stories are predictable. We all knew exactly how Back to the Future was going to end, but that didn't mean the story wasn't great.

To be fair to NXT, they have produced a number of acts that were not big on the indies (or, in some cases, were not even trained outside of WWE's system) that have been big stars. Some of them got ruined on the main roster (Revival, AoP, American Alpha, Tyler Breeze) while others have had varying degrees of success on the main roster (Charlotte, Sasha, Bliss, Bray Wyatt, Braun Strowman, Big E. Lars Sullivan, Rusev), but they were all either big stars in NXT or were at least trained through NXT's developmental system (and that's not including people still in NXT like Street Profits, Bianca Belair, and Velveteen Dream) so saying that they have no produced top acts for WWE is not really fair.

You're correct that the booking is an opinion, but I think most people will agree that NXT has done a much better job telling its stories over the past four years than ROH has.