Ring of Honor Events Schedule Thread

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
The Dragon Saga

Re: Ring of Honor Events Schedule Thread

Post by The Dragon Saga »

In respect to ROH's attendance being a bit down, the markets they've ran outside of Pittsburgh which was sold-out aren't their more "invested" markets. I always get a laugh whenever they run Florida because it doesn't really fit in with their other markets too much. Columbus is also a funny one.

They'll be back to normal business with the WOTW tour. Looking at the seating charts it looks like they'll all sell out, but Chicago does need a solid walk up. I'm not too sure why there are so many resale tickets for the Chicago show either, but resale tickets are still tickets bought, whether people show up or not.
WebConn

Post by WebConn »

supersonic wrote: Thu May 03, 2018 7:26 pm
WebConn wrote: Tue May 01, 2018 3:18 pm Whats with ROH and the slow summers?

Only two shows scheduled for July!

I've been saying for a while now that ROH should use there CMLL relationship to expand into the southwest. A region of the country that WWE doesn't tour much.

Albuquerque has a minor league stadium, Isotopes Park. Run a show during the summer featuring CMLL talent. It seems the reason they don't run much in July-August is alot of their top talent are in the G-1 Climax. The isotopes are out of town the weekend of July 13th. Run a show on the 13th which is a saturday and see how well they do with Dalton, SoCal Uncensored, Silas, MCMG, Lethal and whichever CMLL stars they get.

I would try to at least expand to the southwest. Arizona, Utah, New Mexico and Nevada all uncharted territory.
famicommander wrote: Tue May 01, 2018 3:39 pm Yeah, I think with the right mix of CMLL and NJPW talent they could do really well in places like El Paso, San Diego, Los Angeles, Phoenix, Albuquerque, Denver, etc.
As long as WWE refuses to bring TV/PPV events to these markets, I'd consider penetrating them:

Vancouver
Calgary
Edmonton
Winnipeg (convince Omega to compete in a meaningful singles main event)
Honolulu (crossover with NJPW)
Salt Lake City
Albuquerque
El Paso
Lubbock
Odessa

Other markets with less priority would include Reno, Spokane, Billings, and Madison. See if there's an opportunity that WWE is passing up, especially if those fans might appreciate not having to draw 2-4 hours to see an event.
They should really make a go off touring smaller markets during the summers. Go to the southwest with the homegrown ROH talent and CMLL talent and see what happens.
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

If there's confidence that the annual 1st quarter Vegas weekend won't be hurt in ticket sales, I'd book an Arizona double-shot on Rumble weekend. Debut in Tucson on Thursday night, then run in Phoenix on Friday night. Show some balls and stop tolerating Takeover getting shifted around to sabotage Supercard every year. Even more damning was WWE putting an NXT event in SA the same night as ROH on Survivor Series weekend, putting fans in position to not enjoy both events in person. Go straight for the jaw in response to that shit.
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

The Dragon Saga wrote: Sat Apr 28, 2018 5:05 am ROH tries to be an overall entertaining show that features spot fests, features great wrestling, has comedy, has some recognizable names, has some corny bullshit too - not that it didn't have any of that in the past, because you know, Bushwacker Luke was licking people even back when Gabe booked and apparently that era of ROH is untouchable despite the fact they made no fucking money and it as an entirety nearly drove Cary Silkin to bankruptcy.
ELLE OH ELLE. Sapolsky era fans were giving up on him in noticeable numbers by 2008. The "untouchable" era that would be borderline blasphemous to criticize is April 2004 to September 2006. I don't know any lapsed fans that blindly shield from shitting on Sapolsky's PPV/burnout period, and in fact they're quite happy to shit on him for it.
The Dragon Saga

Post by The Dragon Saga »

supersonic wrote: Fri May 04, 2018 5:08 pm
The Dragon Saga wrote: Sat Apr 28, 2018 5:05 am ROH tries to be an overall entertaining show that features spot fests, features great wrestling, has comedy, has some recognizable names, has some corny bullshit too - not that it didn't have any of that in the past, because you know, Bushwacker Luke was licking people even back when Gabe booked and apparently that era of ROH is untouchable despite the fact they made no fucking money and it as an entirety nearly drove Cary Silkin to bankruptcy.
ELLE OH ELLE. Sapolsky era fans were giving up on him in noticeable numbers by 2008. The "untouchable" era that would be borderline blasphemous to criticize is April 2004 to September 2006. I don't know any lapsed fans that blindly shield from shitting on Sapolsky's PPV/burnout period, and in fact they're quite happy to shit on him for it.
I think you need to go back and check when Luke appeared in Gabe's ROH to understand my reference. I know fans were turning on him gradually as years progressed, which is another reason I think people need to let the "ROH of old" go. If Gabe was the master some say he is, EVOLVE wouldn't be trying to sell out 200 tickets in a nightclub.
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

I distinctly remember Luke at a PPV and someone in attendance telling me “WrestleCrap Ahoy!” Dropping interest levels were very apparent by that point, with some telling me Sapolsky had clearly reached empty on ideas

Drawing record business can be viewed as higher priority, that doesn’t discount it as being a fallacious reason to expose how surface-level the creative direction became in exchange for drawing a more massive, less nuanced audience. As stated months ago, the current customer base feels very much like the TNA 2000s audience (with the key difference is ROH’s current base actually willing to spend money on consuming ROH rather than just drawing TV ratings.) The “newsletter audience” ROH drew a dozen years ago moved on to WWE, NJPW, Lucha, other indies, etc.
TYFDK

Post by TYFDK »

The following have been announced for BOSJ this year:

A Block
ACH
BUSHI
Flip Gordon
Taiji Ishimori
Tiger Mask IV
Will Ospreay
Yoshinobu Kanemaru
YOH

B Block
Chris Sabin
Dragon Lee
El Desperado
Hiromu Takahashi
KUSHIDA
Marty Scurll
Ryusuke Taguchi
SHO

So don’t expect any of them for the Honor United UK tour or the NYC Excellence taping on 6/2
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

3 ROH, 1 CMLL, and 1 freelancer.

Surprised ACH hasn't ended up in NXT or something.
Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine »

Hopefully this means we'll get some Alex Shelley singles matches.
Mr. Mojo Risin

Post by Mr. Mojo Risin »

Big Red Machine wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 10:17 am Hopefully this means we'll get some Alex Shelley singles matches.
Agreed. An Alex Shelley TV title reign would be quite satisfying as well.
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

Titan and Ultimo Guerrero coming for the Hammerstein TV tapings

Can we actually start putting these CMLL dudes in real feuds and angles now?

Don't get me wrong, I'm always down to watch Ultimo Guerrero in a one-off dream match, but come on.
Wilson

Post by Wilson »

famicommander wrote: Wed May 09, 2018 11:13 am Titan and Ultimo Guerrero coming for the Hammerstein TV tapings

Can we actually start putting these CMLL dudes in real feuds and angles now?

Don't get me wrong, I'm always down to watch Ultimo Guerrero in a one-off dream match, but come on.
This is so frustrating to me! You are partnered with two of the three biggest wrestling companies of the world and you won't give an inch to Latinx one, the audience much more obviously relevant market to your locations.

Just try pushing a match or a program and see how it takes off! How have there still been no World Title defenses against Dragon Lee, Volador Jr, or Ultimo Guerrero? Has any CMLL star, for that matter?
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

I know CMLL guys have challenged for the other belts but no, I can't recall one challenging for the world title.

Especially odd considering CMLL seems to really like guys like Taven and Flip.
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

Atlantis is coming in for the Texas shows!
https://www.rohwrestling.com/news/legen ... ebut-texas

Absolute legend. Certainly no spring chicken but you can't not book a guy like this if you have the chance, especially in Texas.
Wilson

Post by Wilson »

Mr. Mojo Risin wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 12:57 pm
Big Red Machine wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 10:17 am Hopefully this means we'll get some Alex Shelley singles matches.
Agreed. An Alex Shelley TV title reign would be quite satisfying as well.
If not for anything else, Alex Shelley having the one X-Division reign as his defining singles achievement is too hard a pill for me to swallow.

Always down for Atlantis. I'd like to see Gresham against some of the sub-35 year old talent.
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

Also coming to the Texas shows are a returning Stuka Jr and a debuting Guerrero Maya Jr
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

main events for the uk tour : tag matches....boring.
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

nyc card so far.

ROH WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP
ULTIMO GUERRERO VS. DALTON CASTLE

TITAN VS. CODY

NO DQ AND NO COUNTOUT
BULLY RAY VS. CHEESEBURGER

CHUCKIE T VS. JAY LETHAL

ROH WORLD TAG TEAM CHAMPIONS THE BRISCOES & PUNISHMENT MARTINEZ VS. ADAM PAGE & YOUNG BUCKS

KENNY KING VS. JONATHAN GRESHAM
AlexROH

Post by AlexROH »

monster mafia wrote: Mon May 21, 2018 8:14 pm nyc card so far.

ROH WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP
ULTIMO GUERRERO VS. DALTON CASTLE

TITAN VS. CODY

NO DQ AND NO COUNTOUT
BULLY RAY VS. CHEESEBURGER

CHUCKIE T VS. JAY LETHAL

ROH WORLD TAG TEAM CHAMPIONS THE BRISCOES & PUNISHMENT MARTINEZ VS. ADAM PAGE & YOUNG BUCKS

KENNY KING VS. JONATHAN GRESHAM
Where did you read that?
AlexROH

Post by AlexROH »

Ok, just saw that it is on the event page on their website. Looks like a good card. So for BITW we should see:

- Dalton vs. Cody vs. Scurll
- Bucks vs. Briscoes
- Silas vs, Aries?
- Martinez vs. Page
- Gresham vs. Lethal?