Ring of Honor Events Schedule Thread

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
monster mafia

Re: Ring of Honor Events Schedule Thread

Post by monster mafia »

Ring of Honor continues to expand internationally, and in May the “Best Wrestling on the Planet” makes its much-anticipated return to the UK with the Honor United tour, featuring the stars of ROH as well as top talent from New Japan Pro-Wrestling.

The following stars from NJPW have been confirmed for the tour: Hiroshi Tanahashi, Toru Yano and IWGP Heavyweight Tag Team Champions EVIL and SANADA of Los Ingobernables de Japon.

They join the following ROH stars as confirmed competitors for the tour:“The American Nightmare” Cody, Jay Lethal, The Young Bucks (Matt and Nick Jackson), Adam Page, Bully Ray, The Kingdom (Matt Taven, Vinny Marseglia and TK O’Ryan), Punishment Martinez, Kenny King and Shane Taylor.

Honor United is shaping up to be one of ROH’s best tours ever, and there are more talent announcements still to come including multiple champions and Women of Honor talent!

The Honor United tour kicks off in Edinburgh, Scotland on May 24. The tour then heads to London, England on May 26 before concluding on May 27, when ROH makes its debut in Doncaster, England. These events mark the first time ROH has been in the UK since last August’s sold-out War of the Worlds UK Tour.

Stay locked into ROHWrestling.com and ROH Social for more Honor United tour talent and match announcements as they are signed.
Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine »

monster mafia wrote: Fri Apr 20, 2018 1:44 pm Image

Ring of Honor continues to expand internationally, and in May the “Best Wrestling on the Planet” makes its much-anticipated return to the UK with the Honor United tour, featuring the stars of ROH as well as top talent from New Japan Pro-Wrestling.

The following stars from NJPW have been confirmed for the tour: Hiroshi Tanahashi, Toru Yano and IWGP Heavyweight Tag Team Champions EVIL and SANADA of Los Ingobernables de Japon.

They join the following ROH stars as confirmed competitors for the tour:“The American Nightmare” Cody, Jay Lethal, The Young Bucks (Matt and Nick Jackson), Adam Page, Bully Ray, The Kingdom (Matt Taven, Vinny Marseglia and TK O’Ryan), Punishment Martinez, Kenny King and Shane Taylor.

Honor United is shaping up to be one of ROH’s best tours ever, and there are more talent announcements still to come including multiple champions and Women of Honor talent!

The Honor United tour kicks off in Edinburgh, Scotland on May 24. The tour then heads to London, England on May 26 before concluding on May 27, when ROH makes its debut in Doncaster, England. These events mark the first time ROH has been in the UK since last August’s sold-out War of the Worlds UK Tour.

Stay locked into ROHWrestling.com and ROH Social for more Honor United tour talent and match announcements as they are signed.
I should stay locked into "ROH Social"? Are they having some sort of dance? And can we please be consistent with capitalization? Tour should be capital in "Honor United Tour" as it is in just the previous sentence when they talked about the "War of the Worlds UK Tour."

Also, can we please not book Yano anymore?
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

Yano is over as hell. Did you hear the pop he got at SSE?
King of Indy Style

Post by King of Indy Style »

Just because Yano's over doesn't mean everyone likes him. I could go without ever thinking about a Yano match again and I'd be more than happy.
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

I didn't say everyone liked him, or that everyone should.

But clearly enough people do that it shouldn't be a mystery why he keeps getting booked. And personally, I usually have fun watching his matches.
Big Red Machine

famicommander wrote: Sat Apr 21, 2018 11:50 am I didn't say everyone liked him, or that everyone should.

But clearly enough people do that it shouldn't be a mystery why he keeps getting booked. And personally, I usually have fun watching his matches.
Is he over? Inexplicably, yes. But he's not a draw, so not booking him on the show won't hurt the show, and it will make the large portion of people who think the guy brings the cards down. He's more of a turn off for the people who dislike him than he is a turn-on for the people who do like him.
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

Please prove to me, using facts, what the precise drawing ability of Toru Yano is.

And please specify how you're measuring the proportions of the fanbase who do and do not like Yano.
Big Red Machine

famicommander wrote: Sun Apr 22, 2018 2:36 pm Please prove to me, using facts, what the precise drawing ability of Toru Yano is.

And please specify how you're measuring the proportions of the fanbase who do and do not like Yano.
I'm not saying that all of these measurements are in any way precise, but I hear more people express an extreme dislike of Yano than I hear people expressing an extreme like of him.

As for drawing power, can we agree that his drawing power is less than Naito, Sanada, EVIL, Tanahashi, Hiromu, Roppongi 3K, etc.?
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

No, we can't agree with that. It's speculation you pulled out of thin air based on your own biases.
Big Red Machine

famicommander wrote: Sun Apr 22, 2018 7:23 pm No, we can't agree with that. It's speculation you pulled out of thin air based on your own biases.

We can't agree that Naito and Tanahashi are bigger draws than Yano?
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

Those two are, obviously. But you can't just lump guys like Sho and Evil in there with them.
Big Red Machine

famicommander wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 6:25 am Those two are, obviously. But you can't just lump guys like Sho and Evil in there with them.
EVIL as a singles act maybe not, but I would go so far as to say Roppongi 3K are at this point (maybe if only because they feel fresh).

But the point is that I often hear people say they find Yano to be a major turn-off, and not once have I sever seen someone say that Yano is a major driving force for them to come to shows and they would be disappointed if he got sick and couldn't work. The only exception I can think of was when he was booked against Cabana.
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

So, basically, all you have is anecdotes.
Big Red Machine

famicommander wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:58 am So, basically, all you have is anecdotes.
Yes. But until we get a show where the only real name on it is Toru Yano to see how well that show draws, that is all anyone will ever have. I do think it is relevant, though, that more people find his presence a hindrance to their enjoyment of a show than a benefit to it.
AlexROH

Post by AlexROH »

I'll get to see Toru Yano live next month!!!!! Yeaaaaaah, he's the type of guy I've always wanted to see. Such a great and hilarious mid carder.
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

Big Red Machine wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:02 am
famicommander wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:58 am So, basically, all you have is anecdotes.
Yes. But until we get a show where the only real name on it is Toru Yano to see how well that show draws, that is all anyone will ever have. I do think it is relevant, though, that more people find his presence a hindrance to their enjoyment of a show than a benefit to it.
If more people found his presence a hindrance he wouldn't get cheered so loudly. Especially now, when NJPW/ROH are pretty much at the apex of their popularity in the US/Canada/UK.

Just admit that you don't like him and don't have any other reason for wanting him not to be booked. It's okay, everybody already knows.
Big Red Machine

famicommander wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 1:12 pm
Big Red Machine wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:02 am
If more people found his presence a hindrance he wouldn't get cheered so loudly. Especially now, when NJPW/ROH are pretty much at the apex of their popularity in the US/Canada/UK.

Just admit that you don't like him and don't have any other reason for wanting him not to be booked. It's okay, everybody already knows.
You're missing my point. It's not about net like and net dislike. It's the fact that the people who dislike him dislike him a lot more than the people who like him like him.

There is definitely a place for him, but the way New Japan books their shows with all of these pointless tag matches on the undercard rather than any sort of undercard singles matches mean that Yano at best is in a match with people who weren't going to have a good match anyway, and at worst (as is often the case) he's dragging down guys who could be having better matches if he were replaced with someone else. If you're going to bring Yano over, book him against Cabana or Chuck Taylor or someone without he can have a comedy match and let that be your comedy match from the show and be separate from everything else. Book him to his strengths.
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

Big Red Machine wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 2:21 pm You're missing my point. It's not about net like and net dislike. It's the fact that the people who dislike him dislike him a lot more than the people who like him like him.
This is not a fact.
Big Red Machine

famicommander wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 4:14 pm
Big Red Machine wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 2:21 pm You're missing my point. It's not about net like and net dislike. It's the fact that the people who dislike him dislike him a lot more than the people who like him like him.
This is not a fact.
But you cant prove the reverse, either. Yes, I'm operating off of anecdotes, but you are operating off of one, too. He got one big pop. No one is saying "If I could just get Toru Yano on my show, that would help move tickets."
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

That he got a big pop is a verifiable fact. All you have to do is watch the show and it's plain as day.

You can't argue by making random claims that can neither be verified nor falsified. You're the one making the assertion, you're the one who has to prove it. You don't just make wild speculations and decide they're true because they're not testable.