Official Final Battle 2013 Thread

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
Northwoods_Nightmare

Re: Official Final Battle 2013 Thread

Post by Northwoods_Nightmare »

Well, this thread pretty much covers every topic, argument, and opinion from the past year. :)

Looking forward to the VOD; sounds like an exciting show.
TYFDK

Post by TYFDK »

Northwoods_Nightmare wrote:Well, this thread pretty much covers every topic, argument, and opinion from the past year. :)

VOD's already out, brotha.
Northwoods_Nightmare

Post by Northwoods_Nightmare »

TYFDK wrote:
Northwoods_Nightmare wrote:Well, this thread pretty much covers every topic, argument, and opinion from the past year. :)

VOD's already out, brotha.
Thanks. Unfortunately I have to impatiently wait a week until work settles down and I get a break at the holidays.
Kenny

Post by Kenny »

Shockindefendin wrote:
Mike0284 wrote:Final Battle is going to be fun. I'll be the guy with the Christmas Fedora in the 3rd row of section B.

I saw you in the block opposite us! I was going to say hello but never got the chance.

Just sat in hotel bar before flight back to England after a great week in Manhattan. Really enjoyed the show, perhaps not as much as Supercard of Honor - but that's probably due to Supercard being my first trip to the Hammerstein & the atmosphere of Jay v Steen. Overall the matches were probably better than Supercard, even my mrs liked some of them & it was her first ever wrestling show!

We were in block D just in front of where Homicide climbed Into the box. I still don't know how much of that was real or a work. All I know is the couple sat next to us got involved & never returned to their seats so must have been thrown out or left. Very bizarre situation.

If the John Cena guy is the same one whom was at the TV tapings in April in the Grand Ballroom then he is actually a real nice guy. At the TV tapings he was getting some real abuse & he stood up on his chair, gave the middle finger & did the you can't see me back. I met him later on & he said he was shitting himself.

Looking forward to my next ROH shows in New Orleans & if I can convince the wife maybe see you back in NY for the next Hammerstein shows.
Oh wow. Dude, I think I was sitting very close to you. The couple that got involved with Homicide...he accidentally kicked her in the head and she vomited after that.

We need to have an ROHWorld meet-up next time!

BTW - I saw Christmas Fedora guy over in Section B and wasn't able to get over to say hi.
Fidel Costco

Post by Fidel Costco »

Just finished watching Final Battle. Overall, I really enjoyed it, but ROH has this way of pulling off a main event that forgives missteps throughout the remainder of the card. That triple threat had some amazing spots, was well paced, everyone played their part perfectly. Despite reading the spoilers I about lost my shit when Hero's music hit.

Questionable angles aside, the short synopses of matches and happenings don't do them justice... Except for that reDRagon/Outlaw Inc. match; I'm not entirely sure what the point of that was.

I'm curious to see what happens with BJ, if he's going to be a manager or a sometime active competitor. While this does end Jimmy Jacobs' face run, at least Roderick Strong has something to do.

I don't mind gimmick matches, like the strap match or stretcher match. The strap match was pretty standard. However, the stretcher match was pretty spot on and throwing out the gimmick mid-match was a smart move, and different (I won't say new, but it was the first time I had seen that).

The Ciampa/Taven squash did a real disservice to Taven. Ciampa deserves a championship, but I wish that could have been a longer and more epic match, like I know both men can pull off. Maybe it's an excuse for the HoT disband, allowing Taven to go his own way, or it may be an excuse to expand it.

One of the things that may be a strike against ROH as a whole is they have a lot of talented wrestlers and just not enough room for them all. So, the booking gets muddled. But, as long as I get a good show I'm fine with a bit [cornette] time and again.

Should be interesting to see how the next months play out for the company. For me, I'm excited to see what matches may be booked for the February show in San Antonio.

EDIT: Steve Corino cracks me up.
Baxter Stockman

Post by Baxter Stockman »

This was the best show ROH ran this year, no question. Honestly I thought it was fantastic.
The Dragon Saga

Post by The Dragon Saga »

ROH Final Battle 2013 Results and Review: A Hero Rises, A Decade Turns and Steen Comes Unleashed

Another card people trashed going in, another event which duly delivered. I'm real interested in The Decade solely due to their agenda, they've so much material to work off with guys like Bryan, Punk, Joe and Aries having left the company for WWE or TNA, promos could be real interesting and I hope Jacobs is the mouthpiece as opposed to Whitmer.

Tons of fun during this event, only one match that didn't deliver - fuckin' crowd didn't help but whatever, and that main event was awesome. Matt Hardy. That is all.
DXvsNWO1994

Post by DXvsNWO1994 »

The Dragon Saga wrote:ROH Final Battle 2013 Results and Review: A Hero Rises, A Decade Turns and Steen Comes Unleashed

Another card people trashed going in, another event which duly delivered. I'm real interested in The Decade solely due to their agenda, they've so much material to work off with guys like Bryan, Punk, Joe and Aries having left the company for WWE or TNA, promos could be real interesting and I hope Jacobs is the mouthpiece as opposed to Whitmer.

Tons of fun during this event, only one match that didn't deliver - fuckin' crowd didn't help but whatever, and that main event was awesome. Matt Hardy. That is all.
Really enjoyed reading the review!
JigsawVs.Jason

Post by JigsawVs.Jason »

just watched Final Battle: really good show, not great, but much better than the card promised it to be:
MOTN and legitimate ROH MOTYC was Bucks vs AR, holy fuck was this match awesome, exceeded my already high expectations. Put it at **** 1/2
Bucks vs reDRagon....wanna see this match so baaaad :D When it goes down it HAS to be the main event!

booking wise I actually loved this show, so many good, intriguing things set up for 2014, really excited what ROH is going to do in 2014, I'm hoping for a long Cole run and NO invovlement of Elgin in the championship hunt, he needs to stay away from the belt until Delirious decides to take it from Cole!

Main Event was surprisingly good, definitely exceeded my expectations, Elgin fucking ruled that match, but credit has to go to Cole as well.
"If anyone complains about how today's pro wrestling isn't as good as the past and isn't watching New Japan, their opinions have no validity." ~ Dave Meltzer
BelieveInTheFallAOTF

Post by BelieveInTheFallAOTF »

I liked the show. It wasn't the best ROH show I've seen but it was okay. The Triple Threat was easily the best match on the card IMO, followed by Adrenaline Rush Vs. The Young Bucks, some of the spots in that match were excellent. After seeing it, I don't think the Outlaw Inc/ReDragon match was that bad, there wasn't anything insanely botchtastic that was obvious, it just seemed like the two teams lacked chemistry with each other, so some of the spots were off in terms of timing it seems, and the pacing was just terrible, other than that, it totally wasn't the worst match Ring Of Honor has put on. Hero's return was awesome, and The Decade heel turn was very well done. Matt Hardy is so great in ROH. I didn't enjoy the Silas Young/Mark Briscoe strap match, while he's a funny guy naturally, I just hate how ROH has turned Mark Briscoe into a comedic act.
BelieveInTheFallAOTF

Post by BelieveInTheFallAOTF »

187_Joeism wrote:One thing is to like the golden era of ROH wich is something we all do and agree on and another is still living in the past and expect the company to be the same now and not enjoy all the good things they have because of that.

Nobody ever said they didn't do any good things currently. They're just inconsistent with the good things. There were a lot more good moments back then than it is now. Simple.

Someone saying you're not a fan because we like the older product better, is an idiot. Also simple. And you can't quote one post which states "ROH should go back to 2006 and be like that", because nobody ever said it. All I said was I'd take the "DVD Company" over the product it is now.
ROHFanAnthony
Donator
Donator

Post by ROHFanAnthony »

^Same here.
AM Dragon

Post by AM Dragon »

Shockindefendin wrote:
Mike0284 wrote:Final Battle is going to be fun. I'll be the guy with the Christmas Fedora in the 3rd row of section B.

I saw you in the block opposite us! I was going to say hello but never got the chance.

Just sat in hotel bar before flight back to England after a great week in Manhattan. Really enjoyed the show, perhaps not as much as Supercard of Honor - but that's probably due to Supercard being my first trip to the Hammerstein & the atmosphere of Jay v Steen. Overall the matches were probably better than Supercard, even my mrs liked some of them & it was her first ever wrestling show!

We were in block D just in front of where Homicide climbed Into the box. I still don't know how much of that was real or a work. All I know is the couple sat next to us got involved & never returned to their seats so must have been thrown out or left. Very bizarre situation.

If the John Cena guy is the same one whom was at the TV tapings in April in the Grand Ballroom then he is actually a real nice guy. At the TV tapings he was getting some real abuse & he stood up on his chair, gave the middle finger & did the you can't see me back. I met him later on & he said he was shitting himself.

Looking forward to my next ROH shows in New Orleans & if I can convince the wife maybe see you back in NY for the next Hammerstein shows.

Yes on the Cena guy being the same guy from the tv tapings. I've talked to him a few times throughout the years and he is a pretty cool guy and he gets his antics in between matches so I don't have a problem with his shtick.
DirtyDave

Post by DirtyDave »

Hero was scheduled to by the mystery man but didn't arrive on time according to the Wrestling Observer.
"Money kept, is twice as good as money burned
And money won, is twice as sweet as money earned"
TYFDK

Post by TYFDK »

DirtyDave wrote:Hero was scheduled to by the mystery man but didn't arrive on time according to the Wrestling Observer.
I wonder if the Decade would've even formed if he did show up in time. I'm guessing that was a back up angle in case that happened.

Any other interesting things from the Observer about Final Battle?
DBSommer

Post by DBSommer »

TYFDK wrote: I wonder if the Decade would've even formed if he did show up in time. I'm guessing that was a back up angle in case that happened.

The Decade probably would have done a simple run in and beat on Eddie in that scenario, with 'I'm Not Booked' Jacobs leading the charge and Roddy in ring making the turn rather than BJ doing it. Overall the card works better with Hero coming out of nowhere in the end rather than being intro'd earlier then coming out. But it is what it is.
SteenMark23

Post by SteenMark23 »

Didn't see the show yet, but I fast forward towards to the end to peek Hero's return. Goosebumps. Crowd looked fairly big too.
DirtyDave

Post by DirtyDave »

TYFDK wrote:
DirtyDave wrote:Hero was scheduled to by the mystery man but didn't arrive on time according to the Wrestling Observer.
I wonder if the Decade would've even formed if he did show up in time. I'm guessing that was a back up angle in case that happened.

There was match write ups for the show, mostly good reviews. No other breaking ROH news, but interesting stuff.

Some great info about WWE stuff. Batista's in great shape and ready for a match. Roman Reigns could win the Rumble. Michelle beadle called CM Punk "fuck face" and AJ didn't like it. Punk didn't like it either and sided with AJ.

Other stuff too I'm forgetting

oh yeah, I guess PWG is running Hero vs Cole ahead of ROH. PWG will have dvd sales before ROH does the same match. ROH didn't have PWG dvd's in NY apparently?
"Money kept, is twice as good as money burned
And money won, is twice as sweet as money earned"
Baxter Stockman

Post by Baxter Stockman »

Attendance for the show was 1,400.
ROHWorld_Jon
Admin
Admin

Post by ROHWorld_Jon »

Am I the only one who didn't think the tag title match was as bad as everyone made it out to be? It wasn't a great match by any means, but it wasn't the dumpster fire the live reports made it out to be.
Teenage Mutant Nana Turtle