Fun Facts About ROH

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
YimYac

Fun Facts About ROH

Post by YimYac »

Figured this would be a fun thread to find out some more info and fun facts about ROH to share around. I'll start with one feel free to add your own.

-Adam Cole vs Kevin Steen with the World Title on the line has been canceled twice. Once when Jay won the belt from Steen and again last weekend due to Cole's concussion.
TYFDK

Re: Fun Facts About ROH

Post by TYFDK »

Tommy Dreamer has made 3 appearances in Ring of Honor.
AmericanDolphin_3

Post by AmericanDolphin_3 »

Nigel McGuinness was originally supposed to take Steve Corino's role in the Steen/Corino vs. Generico/Cabana feud.
Northwoods_Nightmare

Post by Northwoods_Nightmare »

There is unlimited fruit punch gatorade and milk backstage at ROH shows exclusively for Steen, Corino, and Jacobs (as granted in Kevin Steen's demands prior to GBH XI).
The Dragon Saga

Post by The Dragon Saga »

Shane Hagadorn has a talent of keeping specific steel chairs safe over a long period of time.
Tim

Post by Tim »

-The first Joe vs. Punk match was a replacement for Joe vs. Corino, but Corino couldn't make the show (I can't remember why).

-Gabe wanted Spanky to defeat Low Ki for the ROH Title before he got signed by WWE, so they put it on Joe.

-Davey Richards was originally booked to defeat Danielson for the ROH World Title in his debut, however an injury delayed his debut and it never happened.

-El Generico debuted against Jay Lethal as Weapon of Mask Destruction III(or II) at Final Battle 04, Kevin Steen was originally booked to play the weapon.

-Jimmy Jacobs was going to stopped getting booked before his balled of Lacey saved his ROH career.

-Mike Quackenbush hated working ROH because he thought the style was to stiff.

-Tony Nese was at the same tryout as Elgin and Ciampa.

-When the HOT needed an enforcer type Petey Williams almost got the spot until Jimmy Jacobs recomended Elgin.

-Despite the claims that Jay Briscoe vs. Amazing Red was "the first official match in ROH history", it wasn't... Christopher Street Connection vs. Da Hit Squad was, and ROH has been trying to make us forget that fact for years now.
JustSkiff

Post by JustSkiff »

This made me remember the trivia night that used to happen on the old boards.
bik100

Post by bik100 »

Ken Shamrock was supposed to be Eddie Edwards trainer in that feud with Davey.
YimYac

Post by YimYac »

bik100 wrote:Ken Shamrock was supposed to be Eddie Edwards trainer in that feud with Davey.
One of my favorites
Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine »

Tim wrote:-The first Joe vs. Punk match was a replacement for Joe vs. Corino, but Corino couldn't make the show (I can't remember why).

-Despite the claims that Jay Briscoe vs. Amazing Red was "the first official match in ROH history", it wasn't... Christopher Street Connection vs. Da Hit Squad was, and ROH has been trying to make us forget that fact for years now.
Pretty sure it was the second Joe vs. Punk match, not the first (well the third one actually, but no one counts their match in 2003).

As for Jay vs. Red not being the first official match, I'm pretty sure the reason they say "the first official match" instead of just saying "the first match" is because the CSC vs. Hit Squad match wasn't official. DHS just jumped CSC. I don't think there was ever an opening bell (though a referee did make the count).
Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine »

Rhett Titus' part in the Rhett-Daizee-Delieious storyline was originally intended for Human Tornado
Tim

Post by Tim »

Big Red Machine wrote:
Tim wrote:-The first Joe vs. Punk match was a replacement for Joe vs. Corino, but Corino couldn't make the show (I can't remember why).

Pretty sure it was the second Joe vs. Punk match, not the first (well the third one actually, but no one counts their match in 2003).

As for Jay vs. Red not being the first official match, I'm pretty sure the reason they say "the first official match" instead of just saying "the first match" is because the CSC vs. Hit Squad match wasn't official. DHS just jumped CSC. I don't think there was ever an opening bell (though a referee did make the count).
I rewatched it as soon as I read your comment, there was no bell, but there was a ref, the announcers acknoleged it was a match, it's on the DVD... It's a gray area, but personally I feel like ROH tries their hardest to erase the fact the company started with literal gay bashing, and that way they can advertise Jay Briscoe as "being in the first official ROH match ever". In my opinion CSC/Hit Squad was the first official match in ROH history, and it annoys me when ROH says it isn't.
Burnside

Post by Burnside »

- Delirious had all that time to come up with something for Tomasso Ciampa to do to capitalize on the momentum of his return from injury, and came up with exactly nothing.
D2Kvirus

Post by D2Kvirus »

Tim wrote:-When the HOT needed an enforcer type Petey Williams almost got the spot until Jimmy Jacobs recomended Elgin.
Petey Williams??? The guy doesn't exactly scream "enforcer" to anyone!
Silentpoisin

Post by Silentpoisin »

- After 10th anniversary, Jim Cornette offered a ROH contract to The Amazing Red but Red declined due to WWE showing interest in him at the time.

- Caprice Coleman competed in the ROH Do or Die shows back in 04

- (not sure about this one) RFvideo originally was gonna invest more money into CZW but Zandig wanted nothing to do with them, (why, idk) so instead RFvideo created Ring of Honor.

- Before Adam Pearce got released from ROH he originally had plans on bringing in Jon Moxley (Dean Ambrose)
BlackLesnar

Post by BlackLesnar »

Jerry Lynn's Title win was an attempt to capitalize off of The Wrestler. Another idea was putting the Title on Necro Butcher.

I think. Heard it on the old forum.
I'm gonna be at the top of the mountain in three years, with or without this belt. I'm gonna be the best that ever lived. And what you don't understand is, even if I don't get that far, at least I had the courage to get off my ass and try.
DBSommer

Post by DBSommer »

Of the ECWA 2002 Super 8 competitors, 5 of them have won titles in ROH: AJ Styles, Amazing Red, Xavier, Donovan Morgan, James Gibson/Noble. 2 others appeared several times in ROH: Matt Sryker, Pepper Parks. The only man not to appear in ROH: Robert Roode/Rude

Of all the people not to book....
RacingBoy

Post by RacingBoy »

CM Punk's appearance at Unscipted Night 2 was approved by Tommy Dreamer who was working in the WWE offices at the time. How ever Dreamer forgot to clear it was the WWE bosses and Punk got heat for it.
AndyDiaz

Post by AndyDiaz »

BlackLesnar wrote:Another idea was putting the Title on Necro Butcher.

I think. Heard it on the old forum.
Ya, Gabe mentioned this in his Book Of ROH Shoot Interview.
Silentpoisin

Post by Silentpoisin »

1. According from Steen, Gabe originally wanted to break up Steen & Generico so Generico can join with Austin Aries's group The Resilience. It was gonna be Aries, Erick Etevens & Generico. Thank god Steen talked Gabe out of it.

2. Jim Cornette wanted the Steen/Generico feud from 2010 to end 6 months earlier at DBD8.

3. ROH owes Dragon Gate money