Jack Evans

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
Tim

Jack Evans

Post by Tim »

What was his appeal? When I first saw him I thought he was purely a comedy wrestler, how can anybody take a white dude with a do-rag and baggy pants who pretended to be "gangsta" seriously? Personality aside, he botched everything, couldn't do anything but his botched flips. The only matches I enjoyed were tag matches, expecially with Roddy, and the 4 corner survival with Kikataro, Delirious, and Joe, and that was only because it was comedy. The only person who could have good matches (not great) with him was Roddy. How was he so over???
The Dragon Saga

Re: Jack Evans

Post by The Dragon Saga »

He was really over with live audiences because a flip in-front of a live crowd is one of the coolest things you can do, it's where the stereotype "flippy indie wrestler" came from. Evans himself wasn't all that good, in-fact I think I more preferred him on Wrestling Society X than in ROH.
Marketh.

Post by Marketh. »

He was from a time when people were really discovering the indies and TNA, and chances are a lot of people got into ROH from stumbling upon a clip of him doing a Double Moonsault off the cage to the outside - something unthinkable if you had only ever seen WWF/E. I know I was like "WTF was that?! Where can I see more of this guy? Fuck Rey Mysterio, he's never done a Double Moonsault, let alone off a cage!"

For me, Evans' main appeal was not only his charisma but that he must've been made of rubber, due to the lack of regard he had for his body and the amount of times he could've died but didn't for some reason.
Last Real Man Hype
KL_

Post by KL_ »

I would really like to see Jack Evans again in ROH ring :)
bik100

Post by bik100 »

He's fun to watch live, and he had some charisma. His selling was awesome too.
DirtyDave

Post by DirtyDave »

bik100 wrote:He's fun to watch live, and he had some charisma. His selling was awesome too.
i agree.

he had some really cool spots.

i'll never forget that Scramble cage match where he did the double flip off the cage to the floor. most insane thing i've ever seen in wrestling. Teddy hart did some crazy flip to the floor too
"Money kept, is twice as good as money burned
And money won, is twice as sweet as money earned"
Jeremy

Post by Jeremy »

Jack was a bit messy early on, but actually went out of his way to become a better worker, and got to be really good after a little bit. The tours of Mexico and Japan helped him a ton. I'd love to see him come back, but it's doubtful.
LariatWinslow

Post by LariatWinslow »

I really enjoyed Jack's work. I felt he could cut a promo walking to the ring better than most wrestler can backstage with unlimited takes.

He undoubtedly had charisma. He was as flexible as just about anyone I've ever seen. And he could do his dance spots which--how many wrestlers could replicate?

I remember doing one of his quotes right after finding out that I'd passed the Patent Bar cause I'd gotten his Best Of DVD some time before then.

To me, he (to whatever degree is debatable) had that X factor. Was he the best technical wrestler in the world? No. But could you put him in today's roster and him still stand out and still get "Jack!" chants? I'd wager "yes."
DirtyDave

Post by DirtyDave »

LariatWinslow wrote:
he could do his dance spots which--how many wrestlers could replicate?
"
Ya I liked his break dancing too. and then then "you got served" chants that usually followed to his opponent

where is Jack wrestling now? i haven't seen him in a long time
AmericanDolphin_3

Post by AmericanDolphin_3 »

Not a fan. His flips were cool, but that's all I saw in him. Nothing too special IMO.
Northwoods_Nightmare

Post by Northwoods_Nightmare »

I was never much of a fan. Too one-dimensional and his gimmick, gear, dancing, etc all annoy the heck out of me.
DBSommer

Post by DBSommer »

I liked him because he was fun, for lack of a better term. Not quite full comedy, but humorous. Like others said, he had that 'it' factor that can't be quantified by his in ring work. But I do agree his best stuff tended to be in tag teams. Gen Next was the perfect platform for him.

And yes, once he put on a little weight he did get better and I could buy his offense more. As to him being over live, watch the exhibition match he and Hart had at FB 09. Most over part of the entire show.
Rooskie

Post by Rooskie »

I don't think Evans ever had potential as a viable main eventer in ROH, but he was/(potentially) is a fun addition to the undercard. He had plenty of great multi-man matches, scrambles, etc. He and Roderick had many great matches both as a team (particularly against the Briscoes) and as opponents.
JigsawVs.Jason

Post by JigsawVs.Jason »

Quite frankly, I'd love to see him return and reunite with Roddy for a tag run, Roddy hasn't got much to do anyway
"If anyone complains about how today's pro wrestling isn't as good as the past and isn't watching New Japan, their opinions have no validity." ~ Dave Meltzer
Jeremy

Post by Jeremy »

DBSommer wrote:I liked him because he was fun, for lack of a better term.
This is it. He was just enjoyable. Could have a fun opening match with a couple highspots to wow the crowd and then could work a great tag match near the main event. He was a versatile worker who could do whatever they needed him to booking wise.
Reaper G

Post by Reaper G »

DirtyDave wrote: where is Jack wrestling now? i haven't seen him in a long time
AAA in Mexico. I haven't seen him since AAA was taken of Galavision, but he was quite popular down there last I checked.
DirtyDave

Post by DirtyDave »

Reaper G wrote:
DirtyDave wrote: where is Jack wrestling now? i haven't seen him in a long time
AAA in Mexico. I haven't seen him since AAA was taken of Galavision, but he was quite popular down there last I checked.
thanks
bik100

Post by bik100 »

I think he lives in Mexico City now as well.
BlackLesnar

Post by BlackLesnar »

Tim wrote:how can anybody take a white dude with a do-rag and baggy pants who pretended to be "gangsta" seriously?
Because he's fucking crazy.

How can anybody take a 5'6 oompa loompa who howls at the ceiling and pretends to be Grumpy Cat seriously? Because when it comes to hurting his opponent, he has absolutely no regard for his own personal safety. I'd rather take a corner splash from Vader than a suicide dive from Davey. Jack was the same; he'd hurl his entire knobbly bag-o-bones frame at you on a whim & a grin. His levity only made it more unnerving; he was getting off on this shit.

He's the personification of an Andrew WK song. The Vulture Squad could have totally used "Ready To Die" as their entrance theme. Watch Kick-Ass 2's adrenaline burst scene. That's the kind of character Jack Evans is 24/7.
I'm gonna be at the top of the mountain in three years, with or without this belt. I'm gonna be the best that ever lived. And what you don't understand is, even if I don't get that far, at least I had the courage to get off my ass and try.