Official Glory By Honor XII: Champions vs. All-Stars Thread

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
bigz38

Re: Official Glory By Honor XII: Champions vs. All-Stars Thr

Post by bigz38 »

Generally, Road Rage takes an event, and creates one or more episodes from the footage, but the event itself is what is was, whether a house show or iPPV.

Outside of the name on the ticket, there was no difference between this show and a straight up TV taping. Intros were filmed for three TV episodes. Some matches were referred to as TV Main Events. They even asked us to be family friendly for the affiliates, which I don't think they do on the former iPPVs.
ROHWorld_Harry
Admin
Admin

Post by ROHWorld_Harry »

Airing the whole show for free isn't exactly going to make anyone want to buy the VOD. It's just screwing over people who do :| Either make shows a TV Taping or VOD/iPPV. Being both is just lazy/greedy.
Baxter Stockman

Post by Baxter Stockman »

Can't wait to check out that London/Strong match.

I'd love to see Paul get a couple more wins to build him up for a title match with Cole.
DXvsNWO1994

Post by DXvsNWO1994 »

bigz38 wrote:Generally, Road Rage takes an event, and creates one or more episodes from the footage, but the event itself is what is was, whether a house show or iPPV.

Outside of the name on the ticket, there was no difference between this show and a straight up TV taping. Intros were filmed for three TV episodes. Some matches were referred to as TV Main Events. They even asked us to be family friendly for the affiliates, which I don't think they do on the former iPPVs.
Well TV Tapings usually have a number of in-ring segments, guys (more often than not) wrestling multiple matches, etc. This show wasn't that. It was seven different matches that will be shown on TV. In my view, it's a Road Rage Taping.

But I agree with what Harry said. I know personally I'm probably just going to skip the VOD since all the matches will be aired on TV and wait 'til the DVD comes out.
Nigel LikesGuinness

Post by Nigel LikesGuinness »

If they have it at a reduced price and dvd option I will buy it for sure......wanted to buy it since London vs Roddy was announced
Tim

Post by Tim »

How was Ciampa/Sorrensen? Did Sorrensen impress? Think he will be back?
Midnight138

Post by Midnight138 »

Tim wrote:How was Ciampa/Sorrensen? Did Sorrensen impress? Think he will be back?
The match was fine; they told the story they needed to tell with Ciampa testing the neck and it'll come across as a good TV match. I wouldn't say he impressed, as in "wow, that dude was mind-blowing and amazing", but he looked good. I wouldn't be against them giving him another chance in ROH sometime down the line.
Last edited by Midnight138 on Sun Oct 27, 2013 8:35 am, edited 2 times in total.
Midnight138

Post by Midnight138 »

ROHWorld_Harry wrote:Airing the whole show for free isn't exactly going to make anyone want to buy the VOD. It's just screwing over people who do :| Either make shows a TV Taping or VOD/iPPV. Being both is just lazy/greedy.
I'd say it was a move out of necessity. It'll make three great weeks of TV and they didn't have to worry about low attended TV tapings the day after the big show like last time in Chicago Ridge. The draw to the VOD/DVD is going to be seeing the main event in its entirety. They'll have to do a lot of editing to fit it into a one hour television show and it is well worth seeing the entire match.
wa2k1999

Post by wa2k1999 »

Had an awesome time at the show! Def worth watching these almost all of these matches!
JigsawVs.Jason

Post by JigsawVs.Jason »

I kind of suspect this was always intended to be a TV show. But since the label "TV taping" has generated quite low attendence numbers, I could imagine (obviously only speculation on my part) that they decided to label this TV taping with "glory by Honor" to get better attendence numbers, which obviously paid off.
I didn't think I'd say this, but I'm really inclined to buy that DVD if it is out by the annual Black Friday sale. I wouldn't pay the full 20 bucks to see this show (since most of it will be on TV anyway), but I actually really like how the main event was booked and Strong/London doesn't sound too bad either.
"If anyone complains about how today's pro wrestling isn't as good as the past and isn't watching New Japan, their opinions have no validity." ~ Dave Meltzer
Marketh.

Post by Marketh. »

I doubt it's the TV taping label that hurts attendance, more like them doing tapings in the same city the day after an iPPV. It became obvious this was a problem near the start of the year, but they just kept on doing it until now.
Last Real Man Hype
Northwoods_Nightmare

Post by Northwoods_Nightmare »

The plates on that new belt look friggin sweet! Not a fan of the camo strap, but whatever.

Now I'm pissed that I didn't go to this show. Never again!
KL_

Post by KL_ »

I wonder how it will look like with Final Battle 2013. If this also not gonna be iPPV, then I think we can speculate with the end of iPPVs and be more consider on TV.
The Dragon Saga

Post by The Dragon Saga »

They need to figure out the PPV/iPPV situation.

Selling PPV's on TV isn't good for business. It might get a few new fans to tune in but that's where the positives end. I know it's a difficult situation but honestly if Sinclair have to put their hands a little deeper into their pockets to make it work it has to be done. According to Koff at least their stuck in the middle because they don't have enough buyers to run PPV but they've too many for iPPV. I'm certain there are ways of working around it if the right amount of investment is put into it.
LJimmy

Post by LJimmy »

Was Steen wearing his new tassels?
GardenStateSaint

Post by GardenStateSaint »

Northwoods_Nightmare wrote:The plates on that new belt look friggin sweet! Not a fan of the camo strap, but whatever.

Now I'm pissed that I didn't go to this show. Never again!
Why didn't you go? What did you end up doing?
Tomato cans don't stand a chance.
Memphis Mark

Post by Memphis Mark »

One of ROH prime sources of revenue is the tv show. The show needs ratings to sell ads. So ROH is putting this show on tv for free in hopes of increased ratings . In theory an increase in ratings show increase ad sales. First and foremost , ROH is a tv product . The dvd and VOD revenue is great , but the tv show is the primary driver for Sinclair. I sure ROH is confident that the hardcore fan base will by the dvd and/or VOD product regardless of the tv show.This is just one person's opinion , I could be wrong.
JSP

Post by JSP »

Memphis Mark wrote:One of ROH prime sources of revenue is the tv show. The show needs ratings to sell ads. So ROH is putting this show on tv for free in hopes of increased ratings . In theory an increase in ratings show increase ad sales. First and foremost , ROH is a tv product . The dvd and VOD revenue is great , but the tv show is the primary driver for Sinclair. I sure ROH is confident that the hardcore fan base will by the dvd and/or VOD product regardless of the tv show.This is just one person's opinion , I could be wrong.
AmericanDolphin_3

Post by AmericanDolphin_3 »

I had a blast at the show. Taping #1 was great all-around. I really like the chemistry Mark Briscoe and Silas have together. My guess is that they're building to a Fight Without Honor at Final Battle. Jacobs/Page was a little weak, but it had a few nice spots, which helped. Steen/Bennett was great. Fun match, good chemistry, and a good ending. Also, Varon speared the shit out of Maria at the end. It looked great.

Taping #2 was weak. Sorrensen/Ciampa was bad! Ugh, that killed the crowd, IMO. I gave Sorrensen a chance, he didn't impress. Outlaw Inc. vs. Adrenaline Rush was okay, nothing spectacular. Both Homicide and Kingston were really lazy in the ring. I love 'Cide, but he's hasn't done anything too enjoyable since coming back. London vs. Roddy was awesome! These two absolutely killed it. It's a shame it turned out a little sloppy, but Roddy countered a Plancha with a chop. This made Taping #2 watchable. Seriously, I'd go out of your way to see this when you get the chance.

Taping #3 was pretty crazy. First off, this match was much better than expected. There really wasn't a dead spot. It started off a little slow, but I can't recall a time where a prolonged rest hold took place. Fish's cut was nasty. I couldn't exactly see what happened that caused him to bleed, but that was pretty ugly. I've put over just about everyone in that match on Twitter. It was great. Is there still no word on if Cole's injury was a work or not? I thought I saw Elgin checking on him while he was going for the pin, much like Davey did when he jumped on London's face. Anyways, tremendous match. All of the mini-brawls and the comedy from O'Reilly and Fish helped the match flow really, really well.

On a side note, this was my first live ROH show and I had an absolute blast. I was sitting next to some God awful fans, but that didn't stop me from having a good time. Also, Paul London is one of the nicest people ever. He was so cool to all of the fans. I picked up a few DVD's, as well as the Adam Cole shirt and the Tribute to Philly ROH shirt. Taping #2 was weak, #1 and #3 were great.
Marketh.

Post by Marketh. »

What was the Cole/O'Reilly interaction like?
Last Real Man Hype