Michael Bennett...

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
AndyDiaz

Michael Bennett...

Post by AndyDiaz »

I think most people will agree with me that we're not very into or even like Bennett. I never really did. Before his transformation to "Michael" he was pretty boring. Then when they did the whole "Prodigy is Dead" angle I said, "I'll give him another chance." and I did. And for a bit I was interested in his matches, but slowly and surely he grew dull to me again. And with the whole B.J. incident, I think it would be best for ROH to do some sort of injury angle to keep him away for a while.

Bennett, no matter how many champions he beats or big wins he gets, won't elevate him up the card. The crowd reacts to him with boos, but not the "you're a good wrestler but you're a heel boo. Its a "we don't want to see you period boo." Which wont help Bennett if ROH decided to put some real stock into him.

Just some of my thoughts.
Nigel LikesGuinness

Re: Michael Bennett...

Post by Nigel LikesGuinness »

Disagree strongly. Bennett offers a change of pace to the card, still underrated by many. Plus he just signed a new contract and started a feud. Doubt he is leaving any time soon
McXal
Donator
Donator

Post by McXal »

Yep, I very much disagree with the original poster here

I've been a strong advocate of Bennett for a long time. He offers diversity and is deceptively very good at what he does (just not that good at piledrivers)
Tim

Post by Tim »

I remember last year after he had some good matches with Edwards and King of Trios, people getting excited saying "he's getting better". It looked like after the first boring couple years he had figured things out. Then he went back to being his old boring self. Then he became Michael and same thing, "he's got a new attitude, now he's gonna break out". Then he went back to being his old boring self... again.

I met him and Maria at Best in the World a few months ago, nicest people you will ever meet, I want to like him... but the truth is he bores the shit out of me. I'm starting to think he is as good as he will ever be.
Burnside

Post by Burnside »

One of the best acts in the company. Certainly top 5. After Adam Cole, Bennett is the most likely person in the company to become a big star in wrestling.
Thelone

Post by Thelone »

I'm kind of indifferent about the guy. He's not awful in the ring, but not stellar either and a bit on the slow side. I always thought RoH kept him around because of Maria and without her, he wouldn't be here anymore (also feel the same about MsChif).

To sum up, I can see why WWE wanted him at some point (good looks, decent in-ring abilities, good mic skills and Maria as a valet) but I failed to see why RoH picked him up.
http://thelone.be/ => My site, which means a bunch of random stuff really.
Scottanized

Post by Scottanized »

I think he has dramatically improved, also I've noticed hes getting better reactions every night. So obviously fans are starting to get behind him
Six String Samurai

Post by Six String Samurai »

I feel like he needs to have some insanely good match to finally break out because right now he seems mediocre. I think he has really good potential but he needs that one great match to finally break out. I don't know if a Steen feud provides it, too bad Cole is champion in this regard, I think Elgin/Bennett could be one of those hot crowd matches. Right now I am iffy on him.
Northwoods_Nightmare

Post by Northwoods_Nightmare »

I think he's alright. Not necessarily main event, but a good person to have on the first half of shows. I'm not a fan of the change to "Michael Bennett." It seems like he's basically the same, but without a gimmick and a more boring character.
DBSommer

Post by DBSommer »

One of the issues is he's never had that 'breakout match'. He's looked decent at best, and is one of the top promo guys in ROH by far, but I can't remember any matches of his where I wanted to go back and watch them. But he does add promo ability where so few guys in ROH do. I am curious to see how the Steen feud will go and see what kind of matches they'll have.
DanielBryanson

Post by DanielBryanson »

One of the very few guys on the roster right now who has written "star" all over him.
"God, we have some dumb fans!" (Steve Corino)
JigsawVs.Jason

Post by JigsawVs.Jason »

people were saying in 2012 how much he had improved, and rightfully so, he went from ridiculously bad to mediocre, but one year later, the guy is getting more and more stale, the gimmick change has made things worse again and I for one, am bored shitless with his matches. Keep him around to have Maria on the shows, but him being booked over some of the most credible guys on the roster is such a waste of time. The gus is a midcarder at best, and he won't and shouldn't be anything more in ROH.
"If anyone complains about how today's pro wrestling isn't as good as the past and isn't watching New Japan, their opinions have no validity." ~ Dave Meltzer
Marketh.

Post by Marketh. »

JigsawVs.Jason wrote:people were saying in 2012 how much he had improved, and rightfully so, he went from ridiculously bad to mediocre, but one year later, the guy is getting more and more stale, the gimmick change has made things worse again and I for one, am bored shitless with his matches. Keep him around to have Maria on the shows, but him being booked over some of the most credible guys on the roster is such a waste of time. The gus is a midcarder at best, and he won't and shouldn't be anything more in ROH.
Pretty much this. Whenever he gets pushed, to me, it feels like they're doing it just to do it, not because he's earned it.
Last Real Man Hype
Tim

Post by Tim »

DBSommer wrote:One of the issues is he's never had that 'breakout match'. He's looked decent at best, and is one of the top promo guys in ROH by far, but I can't remember any matches of his where I wanted to go back and watch them. But he does add promo ability where so few guys in ROH do. I am curious to see how the Steen feud will go and see what kind of matches they'll have.
Cole, Steen, Jimmy Jacobs, (argubly)Silas, Fish, Briscoes, Kingston, Ethan Page(if he comes back), Ciampa, and surprisingly O'Reilly are all better promo guys.

Why do people keep saying he is the most likely to be a star? Is it because he has that generic look WWE likes, and for that reason it wouldn't be surprising if they pick him up? I am honestly shocked that so many of you support the guy, it has been 4 years and the guy still hasn't had a match worth rewatching.
Thelone

Post by Thelone »

RoH has a bunch of "boring" guys (Lethal, Strong, even Elgin) but they compensate by having good to great matches most of the time. Bennett's latest feud with Whitmer was sleep-inducing and while I think the feud with Steen can be intriguing, I don't understand why he's getting such a push while guys like ACH/Alexander/Young are stuck in tag teams with no future and/or job to almost everyone on the roster.
http://thelone.be/ => My site, which means a bunch of random stuff really.
ROHdk

Post by ROHdk »

With his name change, I really hoped ROH would have given him a new themesong. I hate his theme.
Marketh.

Post by Marketh. »

Funnily enough, it's only since his slight attitude change that song's fit his character. The Prodigy was never really about making people SUFFFFFERRRR unto him.
Last Real Man Hype
BlackLesnar

Post by BlackLesnar »

Wrestling boils down to two factors: physicality & theatrics. You can either concentrate on wowing them with your athletic ability, or entertaining them with mannerisms & character. Bennett is someone doing the latter on a stage dominated by the former. Which in itself isn't so bad. Steen, Taven, Kingston and many other indie wrestlers have shown that it's possible to be consistently enjoyable without flips & fighting spirit. Bennett's act is just so... very... dry. He's a self-styled entertainer who isn't entertaining, which I think has more to do with the gimmick he's chosen than inability. It's hard to gauge whether you're any good at bringing characters to life when the role you're putting your all into is "generic WWE guy".

Bennett vs Steen has me intrigued. If a comic of Kev's caliber can't draw something fun out of Bennett, he's screwed.
I'm gonna be at the top of the mountain in three years, with or without this belt. I'm gonna be the best that ever lived. And what you don't understand is, even if I don't get that far, at least I had the courage to get off my ass and try.
Jeremy

Post by Jeremy »

Bennett improved from "absolutely useless" to "extremely bland" in his entire ROH tenure. If you go by the improvements guys like Elgin, Cole, etc have made the past couple years, it really shows that Bennett is by nature just not that great of a wrestler.

People say Bennett is "destined" to become a WWE star, which I disagree with entirely. There's a hundred guys on the indy scene that have as good of a look as him and I guarantee there are several who are better workers or can cut better promos (Something Bennett is nothing special at either). What does signing Bennett give WWE, really?

Bennett's offense sucks. Him, and a lot of guys from FCW or some from NXT for that matter, all have that in common: They just don't have ten minutes worth of material. They can't work the mat or do any technical wrestling, when they're on offense it's quite vanilla, and they spend most of the match either selling and/or hoping they're working against a guy who can carry them to something far beyond their level. Bennett has worked guys like Lance Storm, Eddie Edwards, etc and the matches have still been mediocre and Bennett seemingly hasn't learned anything from them (Of course, he still won almost all of his matches, thanks Cornette).

Bennett has always reminded me of Justin Credible in one sense. He wins almost all of his matches and gets a push because the booker loves that style of worker. He has a couple managers and a hot valet to try to get ANY heat for him and it barely works. Honestly, Bennett is now feuding with Steen despite not being anywhere near his level or with any type of crowd reactions to justify it. I guess breaking someone's neck gets you a main event push.
BTW10

Post by BTW10 »

Having Kevin Steen relegated to feuding with a stale and boring Mike Bennett is insulting.