GoFightLive - Yay or Nay?

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
JSP

Re: GoFightLive - Yay or Nay?

Post by JSP »

I totally agree with the live factor. If you're watching it live, everything is more exciting in my eyes. But ROH's track record simply speaks for itself. GFL and ROH share blame, but the one consensus remains the same; Ring of Honor does not need to go back to this iPPV well again. Their reputation has been damaged because of farces like this, which I think is ridiculous for a wrestling company. That's the stuff you should know before you use it. Unfortunately, problem after problem has plagued these live broadcasts, thus making the aforementioned live factor a non-entity at this point.

I would imagine GFL's server couldn't handle the traffic, the same thing that plagued Border Wars 2012 when ROH tried for their first in-house iPPV. It also could be that the internet connection at the Armory wasn't exactly up to par, but I find that one a little less likely considering the first half of the show went off as perfect as you could hope. I think ROH will come out of this one unscathed since they weren't the ones broadcasting, nor did they make someone pay to watch a buffering symbol for 2 hours. It's frustrating that they've gotten so many shows perfect (GBH XI, BITW 2011-2012, FB '12, etc.) and still struggle to give us consistency. But oh well. They can make money with this VOD service if they stick with it and shill it hard.
Jolly Johnny

Post by Jolly Johnny »

Yay!
Don't give in to the man!
fudge

Post by fudge »

if it's going to work properly the entire show - yay

but it's not - so nay
Scottanized

Post by Scottanized »

I think they should continue testing things out. I really want my ROH iPPVs back, but I want them to work at the same time.
HarpoonIPA
Donator
Donator

Post by HarpoonIPA »

I saw this yesterday @ http://www.pwinsider.com/article/80430/ ... a.html?p=1

By Mike Johnson PWI

If you were watching on iPPV, however, it was obviously a different story. While there are times users have issues because of their own bandwidth and internet connections, I decided to watch the quality of the stream while I was in Philadelphia by loading "ROH" into my Twitter search feed on my ipad and perusing the new comments after each match. While this is hardly scientific, it allowed me to get a broader idea of how the return to iPPV was received. The first part of the show was fine, except for some low audio that was quickly corrected by Producers Go Fight Live. The second half had a lot of issues including the stream crashing, pixelization and more. Unfortunately for ROH, Go Fight Live's promise of a flawless iPPV did not come to fruition. In asking around, the production was completely handled by GFL, so the blame has to fall on them, but for the average fan watching, they just see it as a poor ROH experience. There were a lot of people within the company really upset that it went down, because obviously, they wanted last night to be a nice surprise for the audience and step one of making good. You do have to credit the company for trying to do just that, although they obviously have some ways to go with getting things right. We've reached out to ROH to see if there will be any sort of official statement.
ハープーンIPA
ニューイングランド·ペイトリオッツのファン
Lone Wolf

Post by Lone Wolf »

Well i missed the second half so its a obvious nay for me. extra annoying as there would be a guaranteed new champ crowned and i have missed out on something as big as this.
187_Joeism

Post by 187_Joeism »

This is from 441wrestling:

- Ring of Honor CEO Joe Koff joined The Greg DeMarco Show to discuss the promotion's free iPPV stream of Death Before Dishonor through GFL.

Ring of Honor's iPPV history and their prior decision to discontinue with that medium: "The Internet Pay Per Views have very much been a part of presenting our product to a wider audience. We began our relationship with Go Fight Live…they're a tremendous vendor and I'm not even sure that it's entirely then or us. You're dealing with a technology that's very difficult…it's an inexact science. ... it's an expectation of the fans that they get a complete program without incident. ... It became a situation where I decided that I'd rather present a clean program even if it was a little delayed or on demand, then go through this where the fan is not enjoying the experience with Ring of Honor."

On how the free stream materialized: "GFL said let's try this again. We didn't want to start charging until we knew we could deliver the product. [GFL] said [they were] willing to do this for free for you guys because [ROH was] a valued customer before and he wanted to show us that we could get through a stream relatively unscathed. So we agreed."

If iPPV distribution with Go Fight Live is a viable option: We almost had a flawless feed. ... It's just a frustrating thing because we want to present the continuity of the show, but there's a lot of issues that happen on the home end. There's a lot of stuff that's out of our control, but we seem to bear the brunt of everything from that, and it seems to detract from what we're doing. ... GFL did everything they were supposed to do to ensure the [quality of] the stream. ... I would like to continue to explore the relationship. I want to expose the product, I really do. Of all the shows they produce, we're the biggest that they do. ... I definitely want to keep exploring the relationship. ... We'd like to do it live, but if we can't do it live we'd rather give them a good product that they can enjoy without any kind of criticism.

Joe also discussed Adam Cole as Ring of Honor World Champion, the potential freshness of his title defenses against the rest of the roster, the growth of the ROH television product, his assessment of Sinclair's first two years of ownership of Ring of Honor and the future of the Women of Honor. You can listen to the show here.

Credit: The Greg DeMarco Show
Read more at http://www.411mania.com/wrestling/news/ ... 2O7KSIp.99
Burnside

Post by Burnside »

HarpoonIPA wrote:I saw this yesterday @ http://www.pwinsider.com/article/80430/ ... a.html?p=1
In asking around, the production was completely handled by GFL, so the blame has to fall on them, but for the average fan watching, they just see it as a poor ROH experience.
The black part is what matters, not the blue.
bouncingskeleton

Post by bouncingskeleton »

Burnside wrote:
HarpoonIPA wrote:I saw this yesterday @ http://www.pwinsider.com/article/80430/ ... a.html?p=1
In asking around, the production was completely handled by GFL, so the blame has to fall on them, but for the average fan watching, they just see it as a poor ROH experience.
+1
"Way to check your sources, asshole"- Bobby Fish
Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine »

bouncingskeleton wrote:
Burnside wrote:
+1
What they said.
Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine »

Tom me the most frustrating thing is that I used to order the GFL iPPVs all the time back in 2009-2012 and only had anything resembling "major issues" once (and I'm pretty sure that was on my end, not theirs). How is it that the technology used to work perfectly fine, but now has started to stink?
TQType

Post by TQType »

Joe Koff's remarks give me some hope that there is an eventual timeframe that live iPPV could potentially happen down the road.

I'm guessing not anytime soon, but maybe GFL can work on getting these streams corrected.

It's tough, because I think you won't get an environment like ROH to test without offering the streams for free. And then, you can end up with more of what happened on Friday.

Still, I can hope for the return of live iPPV.
bouncingskeleton

Post by bouncingskeleton »

TQType wrote:Joe Koff's remarks give me some hope that there is an eventual timeframe that live iPPV could potentially happen down the road.

I'm guessing not anytime soon, but maybe GFL can work on getting these streams corrected.

It's tough, because I think you won't get an environment like ROH to test without offering the streams for free. And then, you can end up with more of what happened on Friday.

Still, I can hope for the return of live iPPV.
I find this phrase amusing.
That is all.
"Way to check your sources, asshole"- Bobby Fish
SLKerAaron

Post by SLKerAaron »

Purely out of boredom I decided to redo the ROH logo. Not sure this is the right place to post it, but it seems rather fitting to me.

Burnside

Post by Burnside »

SLKerAaron wrote:Purely out of boredom I decided to redo the ROH logo. Not sure this is the right place to post it, but it seems rather fitting to me.

Perfect.
Marketh.

Post by Marketh. »

It's pretty smart, but since it's not ROH I'm mad at, I would've preferred a GFL logo changed to GoFuckyourselfLive.
Last Real Man Hype
BTW10

Post by BTW10 »

SLKerAaron wrote:Image
Absolutely tremendous.
TYFDK

Post by TYFDK »

As much as I hate all the blame ROH has gotten for the stream...that picture is amazing and I think I love you for it.
Burnside

Post by Burnside »

Marketh. wrote:It's pretty smart, but since it's not ROH I'm mad at, I would've preferred a GFL logo changed to GoFuckyourselfLive.
Ring of Honor absolutely has it coming just as much as GFL.