GoFightLive - Yay or Nay?

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
Marketh.

GoFightLive - Yay or Nay?

Post by Marketh. »

Just for the sake of encouraging ROH to make a deal with GFL and their new streaming technology, or not.
Spoiler: show
Obviously nay. Thanks for 75% of a free show, though.
Last Real Man Hype
Nigel LikesGuinness

Re: GoFightLive - Yay or Nay?

Post by Nigel LikesGuinness »

Yay even if I watch 75% live it seems the price is the same as VOD and I still get the IPPV as a VOD later (for a year)......never understood the bitching. Thought it was more valid to bitch about the price of VOD being the same as IPPV. Go into any and all IPPV's expecting it to break :lol:
TYFDK

Post by TYFDK »

Nigel LikesGuinness wrote:Yay even if I watch 75% live it seems the price is the same as VOD and I still get the IPPV as a VOD later (for a year)......never understood the bitching. Thought it was more valid to bitch about the price of VOD being the same as IPPV. Go into any and all IPPV's expecting it to break :lol:
I'm not keen on being given false hope :geek:

I say nay.
JSP

Post by JSP »

I think it'd be hilarious if they just put their shows on for free every month, just for shits and giggles.

But yeah, fuck GFL.
BalzOfHonor

Post by BalzOfHonor »

The first half worked perfectly for me but right before the intermission, it went downhill. I missed the entire second half...so nay.
HarpoonIPA
Donator
Donator

Post by HarpoonIPA »

I missed the 2nd half, but I would still say Yay, I want my ROH IPPV's back and want the choice to watch live even if there are F ups. I also think ROH & GFL should be looking in sabotage, very strange how all was going so well and then we all got hit in the mouth @ once with the outage. Either someone who works directly for ROH or someone else that has the .capabilities to crash the stream is responsible. This is no longer bad ass luck, there is another cause.
ハープーンIPA
ニューイングランド·ペイトリオッツのファン
KL_

Post by KL_ »

GFL - Go Fail Live

I say Nay.
JSP

Post by JSP »

HarpoonIPA wrote:I missed the 2nd half, but I would still say Yay, I want my ROH IPPV's back and want the choice to watch live even if there are F ups. I also think ROH & GFL should be looking in sabotage, very strange how all was going so well and then we all got hit in the mouth @ once with the outage. Either someone who works directly for ROH or someone else that has the .capabilities to crash the stream is responsible. This is no longer bad ass luck, there is another cause.
If you want to actually watch your shows, I have no idea how iPPV is even a plausible choice at this point.
D2Kvirus

Post by D2Kvirus »

Before last night I was happy to give GFL a certain benefit of the doubt, given the problems with the iPPV format that every fed has experienced, from WWE to ROH to CMLL to CZW.

But after last night, where they said they could provide a "flawless" stream and provided anything but, that's gone. When the only plus points from last night are at least the first half of the show was fine, at least the finish for the title match didn't get cut off, and at least ROH don't have to refund anyone as it was a free stream, that's just not good enough. Leave GFL at the side of the road with the old couch.

NAY
Thelone

Post by Thelone »

HarpoonIPA wrote:I missed the 2nd half, but I would still say Yay, I want my ROH IPPV's back and want the choice to watch live even if there are F ups. I also think ROH & GFL should be looking in sabotage, very strange how all was going so well and then we all got hit in the mouth @ once with the outage. Either someone who works directly for ROH or someone else that has the .capabilities to crash the stream is responsible. This is no longer bad ass luck, there is another cause.
I was thinking about that too to be honest. The first half was flawless (for me anyway) and then it completely turned to shit... but I clearly saw every finish somehow.
http://thelone.be/ => My site, which means a bunch of random stuff really.
ROHWorld_Harry
Admin
Admin

Post by ROHWorld_Harry »

Nay.

They clearly can't get iPPV tech that works correctly for the volume of people trying to watch. I seriously doubt there is any sabotage etc. The reason why it worked at first was probably due to lower traffic numbers. These numbers then peaked during the main events, so the stream went to shit.
187_Joeism

Post by 187_Joeism »

Nay

They can´t get iPPV to work and is giving them bad image, even when they do it for free, is better to not try them again and stick with the VOD.
bik100

Post by bik100 »

Nay, ROH needs to contact the guys that TNA used to use on TNAOnDemand. Their streams were truly flawless.
BigTChamp

Post by BigTChamp »

A big, fat nay. Even when it was working the resolution was crappy and the audio levels were poor. Focus on getting VOD's uploaded as soon as possible. "PPV" events should ideally be edited and produced as if they were live and uploaded by the next afternoon.
BrandenScott

Post by BrandenScott »

Nay and Sinclair broadcasting is a whole corporation so why can't ROH just have them set aside 2-3 hr block one night and air the show live on tv? Hell you might get more new fewers and won't risk losing any current fans at least. I'd say it's a win-win.
Northwoods_Nightmare

Post by Northwoods_Nightmare »

BrandenScott wrote:Nay and Sinclair broadcasting is a whole corporation so why can't ROH just have them set aside 2-3 hr block one night and air the show live on tv? Hell you might get more new fewers and won't risk losing any current fans at least. I'd say it's a win-win.
That's really expensive to produce. They won't get nearly as much money from VOD/DVD sales. It most likely interferes with network programming that they are contractually obligated to play, and make more money from.

Skip ippv. Focus on getting VOD out asap. Don't spoil results before vod is out. Better promotion for live attendance.
cgstong
Admin
Admin

Post by cgstong »

I say no and I'd say 75% is being generous
If you're having any issues with the forum tweet at me Twitter.com/ROH_World
or Fb.com/ROHworld
BalzOfHonor

Post by BalzOfHonor »

ROHWorld_Harry wrote:Nay.

They clearly can't get iPPV tech that works correctly for the volume of people trying to watch. I seriously doubt there is any sabotage etc. The reason why it worked at first was probably due to lower traffic numbers. These numbers then peaked during the main events, so the stream went to shit.
You're probably right, the only reason I was watching live was just by chance I went on this board and found out they were streaming live. So half way through the show, I imagine that the word got out and people started logging on to watch it...
Jeremy

Post by Jeremy »

ROH has no idea how to do iPPV. It's not just GFL (Who have produced solid streams of other companies), but possibly ROH's equipment in general. Sinclair desperately needs to increase production values across the board, there is much room for improvement.
TQType

Post by TQType »

I'd say yay with a catch.

I ordered WM this year and experienced their glitch as well. Most every iPPV wrestling product on the market has issues from time to time. Sadly, I think just at this age of technology, live streaming has not been perfected. Some companies may be more consistent, and have better production values, but I don't think it's across the boards perfect anywhere (imho, could be proven wrong).

But, bottom line, they still need to remain in the live iPPV game. Whether it's internal or outsourced, professional wrestling is best experienced live, in my opinion.

I remember in the 2010 GFL era, hearing that those shows made the company money. I can't speak to if that has or will continue to happen consistently, but it sounds like those iPPVs were guaranteed money makers.

In my opinion, VOD just doesn't have the same appeal. VOD is great to catch a 5-star, MOTY candidate, but if the results are out there, I'm going to check the web for important moments/surprises/turns 9 times out of 10. At that point, the result is out there, and the need to put money down on the event isn't worth it.

Hearing this was streaming for free, and having a pretty buggy main event (but getting to see the finish), was a pretty cool surprise last night. I was in the moment for a ROH event for the first time in a good while.

So, if ROH thinks they can do better internally, or if GFL is their iPPV company (with the added bonus of pushing all the blame to GFL, instead of taking all the heat for any glitches), I'd say still do it. Sure, the ROH fanbase might have iPPV glitches, but I'll take being able to experience a show live (and be in the moment, and checking twitter if the feed goes down) over the alternative any day.