New name to announce team + top official leaving

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
KL_

New name to announce team + top official leaving

Post by KL_ »

From wzronline.com :

Ring of Honor has been using Vic Travagliante as a new addition to the announce team. Travagliante was most recently seen on “Reclamation: Night 2″ from Dearborn, MI, and has worked for PRIME Wrestling based in Cleveland and Tommy Dreamer’s House of Hardcore. He also signed a two-year deal with CBS Cleveland, where he’s a weekly talk show host.

Gregory Gilleland will be leaving ROH sometime in the next month. Gilleland was the second in command of Ring of Honor under CEO Joe Koff and had final say in the day-to-day decision-making of the company since Sinclair Broadcasting purchased the promotion. He will be moving to another position with Sinclair, and while there is no official word on his replacement yet, the feeling is that it will be someone else from within Sinclair.
classic-cabana
Donator
Donator

Re: New name to announce team + top official leaving

Post by classic-cabana »

I'd prefer Joe Dombrowski, him and Corino were great together.
Marketh.

Post by Marketh. »

I'd give Dombrowski another chance or two, since he was decent in his latest gigs. But I wouldn't hire right away, because I remember him being terribly boring when he did some shows in 2009 or whenever.
Last Real Man Hype
classic-cabana
Donator
Donator

Post by classic-cabana »

Marketh. wrote:I'd give Dombrowski another chance or two, since he was decent in his latest gigs. But I wouldn't hire right away, because I remember him being terribly boring when he did some shows in 2009 or whenever.
He's definately better live than with post produced commentary. The shit audio on DVDs in 09-10 didn't help either. Even Prazak and Hero sounded bad/boring.
DBSommer

Post by DBSommer »

classic-cabana wrote:
He's defintely better live than with post produced commentary. The shit audio on DVDs in 09-10 didn't help either. Even Prazak and Hero sounded bad/boring.
I just think Hero wasn't that good a commentator period, not that sound quality made him bad. I was actually wincing when I heard he was Prazak's sidekick by the third time I heard him.

Dombrowski grew on me a bit over time. I still think they can shop around and try to find someone that's a better fit, though. Or just rotate guys for a while as most have pros and cons.
Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine »

DBSommer wrote:
classic-cabana wrote:
He's defintely better live than with post produced commentary. The shit audio on DVDs in 09-10 didn't help either. Even Prazak and Hero sounded bad/boring.
I just think Hero wasn't that good a commentator period, not that sound quality made him bad. I was actually wincing when I heard he was Prazak's sidekick by the third time I heard him.

Dombrowski grew on me a bit over time. I still think they can shop around and try to find someone that's a better fit, though. Or just rotate guys for a while as most have pros and cons.
Hero was horrific on commentary. Whenever he got excited, he would start talking very quickly but also quietly, like a kid providing his own commentary to a video game, but not wanting to be too loud and accidentally wake his parents up.
McXal
Donator
Donator

Post by McXal »

I'm sad Dave Prazak didn't get much of a chance to do live commentary (as Kevin Kelly does now). Apart from a few of those taped ppvs they ran, he was restricted to studio-dubbed commentary and even I'll admit he clearly became a little jaded with that

But of all the commentators ROH have had, in my mind he's still the only play-by-play guy they've had that has a vast knowledge and understanding of ROH's history, past matches and angles (Kelly is always falling down on this), a well-researched and broad knowledge of wrestling holds, a sense of humour, an ability to get angles over without necessarily becoming over-zealous or sounding too much like a company stooge. I think doing his thing live and at the arena would have alleviated a lot of his perceived 'lack of enthusiasm'. I imagine after a good five plus years it probably did become a little difficult to get psyched up for another 4 hour stretch in a sterile recording studio

I know lots of people really turned off him towards the end of his tenure, but to me he's still the best ROH has had, and I miss him in the booth. He could have done some BRILLIANT stuff with Corino during the SCUM angle. I also felt he balanced out Kevin Kelly's nerdy over-enthusiasm well during their brief pairing in late 2010.

Does he commentate anywhere (other than presumably SHIMMER) now??
DieHard

Post by DieHard »

McXal wrote:
Does he commentate anywhere (other than presumably SHIMMER) now??
AAW.

Well, last time I watched an AAW show he was.
MOOSE!
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

Bring back Gabe in the commentary booth.
JSP

Post by JSP »

Prazak never showed any enthusiasm, live or not. Final Battle 2010? Hollow. DBD VIII? Hollow. Etc. Sure he knew all the holds, but why should I care about the product when the guy announcing it doesn't? For all his faults, Kelly sounds like he cares, sounds like he has passion for the business. Is he corny? Of course. But I personally like Kevin Kelly and his faults are usually balanced out when he's with Nigel, who I think is the best color man in the business. I'll admit to liking Prazak a bit in the lone AAW show I saw, but only for his humor, which I'll admit is top notch. But he can't ever be bothered to show some fire or conviction in his words, so fuck him really.

Now Lenny Leonard? Love him. Balances knowledge and enthusiasm very well. Sucks he's usually by himself in DGUSA/EVOLVE because he could be great with someone decent to feed off of. It sucks that he has such a hollow product to talk over, but at least he shows some fucking conviction!
Six String Samurai

Post by Six String Samurai »

supersonic wrote:Bring back Gabe in the commentary booth.
Gabe and Punk were the best team.

I really just wish ROH would give us the option to not have commentary like PWG. Because I much prefer that.
McXal
Donator
Donator

Post by McXal »

JSP wrote:Prazak never showed any enthusiasm, live or not. Final Battle 2010? Hollow. DBD VIII? Hollow. Etc. Sure he knew all the holds, but why should I care about the product when the guy announcing it doesn't? For all his faults, Kelly sounds like he cares, sounds like he has passion for the business. Is he corny? Of course. But I personally like Kevin Kelly and his faults are usually balanced out when he's with Nigel, who I think is the best color man in the business. I'll admit to liking Prazak a bit in the lone AAW show I saw, but only for his humor, which I'll admit is top notch. But he can't ever be bothered to show some fire or conviction in his words, so fuck him really.

Now Lenny Leonard? Love him. Balances knowledge and enthusiasm very well. Sucks he's usually by himself in DGUSA/EVOLVE because he could be great with someone decent to feed off of. It sucks that he has such a hollow product to talk over, but at least he shows some fucking conviction!
Really disagree with you on Prazak's work at Final Battle 2010 (I thought he was superb in the main event) - but I'll second you on the praise for Lenny Leonard. I don't like him so much when he's by himself as I think his commentary degenerates into shouting the names of moves over and over again without much else - but when he's paired up with someone he is superb.

Logistically it could never happen again sadly, but to me, ROH's best pairing remains Prazak/Lenny
Yugiohnoonoo
Banned
Banned

Post by Yugiohnoonoo »

ROH needs a guy that Kevin can interact with almost as good as ue did with Corino
[cornette] [cornette] [cornette] [cornette]
Tree

Post by Tree »

while you guys discuss the announcer du jour, you're missing the bigger story of Gregory Gilleland leaving. that's huge. seriously. in a good way.
Marketh.

Post by Marketh. »

Tree wrote:while you guys discuss the announcer du jour, you're missing the bigger story of Gregory Gilleland leaving. that's huge. seriously. in a good way.
Perhaps you can shed some light, because I've never seen this guy's name before.
Last Real Man Hype
LygerFan

Post by LygerFan »

Tree wrote:while you guys discuss the announcer du jour, you're missing the bigger story of Gregory Gilleland leaving. that's huge. seriously. in a good way.
Without a doubt the biggest story to come out of ROH in a long time. Problem is that his name has been publicly kept quiet until recently and most people will not talk about him on the record. At some point the belief is that somebody, maybe Cornette, will speak out about Gilleland. I have heard some stories about him that would make your head spin.

Tree, is there any more than you can add?
classic-cabana
Donator
Donator

Post by classic-cabana »

LygerFan wrote:
Without a doubt the biggest story to come out of ROH in a long time. Problem is that his name has been publicly kept quiet until recently and most people will not talk about him on the record. At some point the belief is that somebody, maybe Cornette, will speak out about Gilleland. I have heard some stories about him that would make your head spin.

Tree, is there any more than you can add?
How about sharing some stories?

I've heard of him in regards to Cornette really hating him but that's it.
ROHWorld_Steven
Admin
Admin

Post by ROHWorld_Steven »

If you want to discuss stories then please feel free to do so via PM. I don't want any potentially defamatory comments to be made publicly on here. Thanks :)
Marketh.

Post by Marketh. »

How about just putting "Allegedly," at the start of each story?
Last Real Man Hype
ROHWorld_Steven
Admin
Admin

Post by ROHWorld_Steven »

Marketh. wrote:How about just putting "Allegedly," at the start of each story?
I don't think we need to give Sinclair any excuses to try and close us down ;)