TV title has become so irrelevant

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
Lone Wolf

TV title has become so irrelevant

Post by Lone Wolf »

Its just feels like a prop now for Truth Martini. Matches have been terrible apart Edwards one.
Do not understand why Taven and the title have been booked so weak.Its become just another useless midcard title like wwe ones.
MAXAKASINNER

Re: TV title has become so irrelevant

Post by MAXAKASINNER »

That's your opinion bro, I think Matt Taven is a fantastic champion.
classic-cabana
Donator
Donator

Post by classic-cabana »

Personally would like to see ACH get a run with it. Let him open every show with a defense, against outside guys even. He could have showstealing matches, get each card off to a flyer, build himself as a top guy, have opponents look awesome and importantly get the title over.

They could brng in guys like Amasis and Green Ant. It could be ROHs version of the X title in its pomp. Right now the TV title is nothing more than a prop and isnt getting anyone over like a secondary title should

I like Taven/HOT in their midcard comedy role but the title could be usd to benefit midcarders who have the potential to be in upper-main of the card
Yugiohnoonoo
Banned
Banned

Post by Yugiohnoonoo »

Taven is doing ok as tv champ to me. I just don't like his finisher
[cornette] [cornette] [cornette] [cornette]
Lone Wolf

Post by Lone Wolf »

classic-cabana wrote:Personally would like to see ACH get a run with it. Let him open every show with a defense, against outside guys even. He could have showstealing matches, get each card off to a flyer, build himself as a top guy, have opponents look awesome and importantly get the title over.

They could brng in guys like Amasis and Green Ant. It could be ROHs version of the X title in its pomp. Right now the TV title is nothing more than a prop and isnt getting anyone over like a secondary title should

I like Taven/HOT in their midcard comedy role but the title could be usd to benefit midcarders who have the potential to be in upper-main of the card
ACH has been having a great year so many good matches to his cv. Would love to see CHIKARA guys brought in as well something which ROH should of done more of. Like the idea of him opening every show up as well gives the title a sense of importance.
MAXAKASINNER wrote:That's your opinion bro, I think Matt Taven is a fantastic champion.
Yeah it is my opinion, nothing against Taven he is a talent but he is not being shown as a threat to people and the belt is not elevating him.Dude hardly gets mic time and he is supposed to be a champion. The focus is more on Martini and the hotties which is shit booking when Taven is part of them and is the TV champ.
DanielBryanson

Post by DanielBryanson »

I think Taven's reign isn't bad at all, especially if you compare it to those before him.

Eddie was a good (first) champion, but his reign didn't set the world on fire, right?
Christopher Daniels? Very deserving champion, but a better reign than Taven's?
El Generico's "reign"? Awful. What a waste. He deserved so much more out of this.
Lethal? Again, deserving champion. Not even a bad reign, I would say.
Roderick Strong's reign? Unnecessary. Bennett needed the belt way more at the time.
Adam Cole? Good choice as a title holder, but uneventful reign.
"God, we have some dumb fans!" (Steve Corino)
DieHard

Post by DieHard »

Yeah it's really irrelevant atm. But what can you expect when the manager is more impotrant than the actual champ.
MOOSE!
BigTChamp

Post by BigTChamp »

He's been booked against credible contenders, but he usually wins via shenanigans and he hasn't been given much personality beyond "that guy with Truth Martini". It didn't help that before winning the top prospect tournament he was pretty much a TV jobber who got some offense and rarely appeared outside of Baltimore. A steady feud with someone over the belt would probably help.
Mike Adamle

Post by Mike Adamle »

The time limit kind of hinders the tv title, especially when people like Taven have the belt. He's a good wrestler, but to have a great match he needs more than 15 minutes. We're probably not gonna get a great TV Title match from him (unless they put him with someone the caliber of Eddie Edwards.)
BlackLesnar wrote:Seriously though, I completely agree with Mike.
Mr. Mojo Risin wrote:
Mike Adamle wrote:Should've named this show "Masters of the Roll Up"
This is the best post ever by Adamle. I laughed my ass off at this.
Northwoods_Nightmare

Post by Northwoods_Nightmare »

It needs to be much more of a focus on the TV show. Have Taven feuding with someone over the title instead of just having him face random opponents.

Say what you will about the Lethal/Generico time limit draws, but the title was a prominent part of the TV show and had a good rivalry around it, especially when Bennet started interjecting himself.

Again, say what you will about Hardy, but his feud with Cole elevated the TV title to a more prominent position on the card and garnered interest.

Even though he's having good matches, this just makes us want to see Taven in matches. Nothing has been done to make us care that it is a Title match or not.
Thelone

Post by Thelone »

Lone Wolf wrote:Do not understand why Taven and the title have been booked so weak.Its become just another useless midcard title like wwe ones.
To be fair, this is where it's supposed to be. Imo, the point of a TV title is to elevate a mid-carder and not to be some sort of consolation prize for the big guys.

Obviously, that's not working out for Taven because he's winning almost all his bouts with the help of Truth and/or the Hoopla hotties which makes him incredibly weak and like others already said, he's still just that guy from HoT.

I think a good run in the tournament without too much crap from HoT should establish him as a credible upper-carder.
http://thelone.be/ => My site, which means a bunch of random stuff really.
typicalrohfan

Post by typicalrohfan »

The Night of Hoopla triple threat and Milwaukee show 4 way are among the best ROH matches of the year.
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

The TV title has never been relevant.
Yugiohnoonoo
Banned
Banned

Post by Yugiohnoonoo »

Taven looks like a 90's rock star to me, what.exactly was hos gimmick befor the HOT
[cornette] [cornette] [cornette] [cornette]
SamoaNOAH

Post by SamoaNOAH »

supersonic wrote:The TV title has never been relevant.
Too bad ... The pure title always was.
JSP

Post by JSP »

The day Nigel sends Truth and the hotties to the back, and Taven has a sick 20 minute match, this talk is going to be a thing of the past. I think Taven is getting over by himself inch by inch after a relatively rocky start, and the whole Hoopla stuff is getting over too. I think Taven will start to even out after a couple of months. I have a feeling Taven will be given a huge opportunity soon for some reason. He's certainly good enough to hold the belt, at any rate.
AndyDiaz

Post by AndyDiaz »

We need to have a TV champion that right after losing the title wins the world title to make it feel like a stepping stone like it was claimed to be. The only person to do that is Eddie.
YimYac

Post by YimYac »

AndyDiaz wrote:We need to have a TV champion that right after losing the title wins the world title to make it feel like a stepping stone like it was claimed to be. The only person to do that is Eddie.
Adam Cole
Shook1

Post by Shook1 »

JSP wrote:The day Nigel sends Truth and the hotties to the back, and Taven has a sick 20 minute match, this talk is going to be a thing of the past. I think Taven is getting over by himself inch by inch after a relatively rocky start, and the whole Hoopla stuff is getting over too. I think Taven will start to even out after a couple of months. I have a feeling Taven will be given a huge opportunity soon for some reason. He's certainly good enough to hold the belt, at any rate.
This kind of happened in Belle Vernon. It wasn't Nigel obviously it was the ref, but I personally thought Taven looked good in person.
Mountaineer

Post by Mountaineer »

Shook1 wrote:
JSP wrote:The day Nigel sends Truth and the hotties to the back, and Taven has a sick 20 minute match, this talk is going to be a thing of the past. I think Taven is getting over by himself inch by inch after a relatively rocky start, and the whole Hoopla stuff is getting over too. I think Taven will start to even out after a couple of months. I have a feeling Taven will be given a huge opportunity soon for some reason. He's certainly good enough to hold the belt, at any rate.
This kind of happened in Belle Vernon. It wasn't Nigel obviously it was the ref, but I personally thought Taven looked good in person.
I thought he was great in the ring that night. He is very smooth.