Supercard of Honor 2023

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
Montana

Re: Supercard of Honor 2023

Post by Montana »

Think I know what choice you were referring to. Odd.

Ladder match was insane, as expected.
Mike0284

Post by Mike0284 »

Dante's ankle got completely fucked from that Destroyer spot.

The Martin Brothers are cursed at this point.
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

Martin Brothers cursed!

THAT WAS SO FUCKED UP, UNNECESSARY SPOT!
AnHonorableMention

Post by AnHonorableMention »

Ladder matches suck. No more. I don't need to see a ladder for a year or more.
Captain Podcast
Shanahan

Post by Shanahan »

Dangerous looking spot that turned out Dangerous. Should tone it down just a bit.
Shanahan

Post by Shanahan »

Was delirious booking tonight? Puzzling stuff.
AnHonorableMention

Shanahan wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 7:14 pm Was delirious booking tonight? Puzzling stuff.
Certainly a sentence I put into the talent group chat I'm in. The best response was "He's too busy not being booked and getting high" which admittingly I thought was "not being booed" because my eyes are very heavy and I'm overworked.
Captain Podcast
Montana

Post by Montana »

I'll give some quick thoughts on the show... unrelated to wrestling, kind of felt like i was in bizzaro world yesterday... which i was semi-distracted while watching. (nothing serious)

Thought it was a good to very good show (8-8.5/10), that lacked a connection.

I thought the Kommander and Vikingo was amazing. Better than the Omega match; and kind of stole the show. The ladder match was the other show stealer. Athena is a star, and she's being booked like it. Everything else was good... not great. As mentioned earlier; not feeling like i have a connection to the product. Yes, it's still new; but as great as Shibata and Yuka are, i like the stories, and building a connection between the wrestlers/fans. Only a few matches felt properly built. To be fair, TK put on a great card. Hes a great match marker, but lacks episodic story lines. The pre-show was poor to OK at best. The result of the TV title match was baffling; but my guess is Mark didn't want it that way. The ending was super odd with the stare down/hand raising. For some reason, i really thought we'd get Ibushi coming out at the end. I'm fine with Claudio winning; but maybe put the ladder match on last. I don't know if the crowd was just tired; but seemed like they are out of the world title match, most of the match. Some sloppy moments tonight too, but i guess some of that will happen if your going for a home run every swing. I'm fine with the Lucha Bros winning; but felt like match revolved around the Kingdom, Rush, and Aussie Open though. I hope Dante is OK; such potential, but being wasted; on unnecessary high spots.

The Highlight of the night may have been Nigel returning. Aussie Open and Athena have been the MVP's since the relaunch.
tigermask7.0

Post by tigermask7.0 »

All the title matches were booked correctly. You got worked.

In terms of long-term storytelling, all the title matches were correctly booked. If you wanted cheap pops please go watch the father promotion.

Thank You, FU, ... and Goodnight.
[cornette]
It's not easy being the Greatest 7th generation wrestler Of All Time!
dhads7161

Post by dhads7161 »

tigermask7.0 wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 6:46 am All the title matches were booked correctly. You got worked.

In terms of long-term storytelling, all the title matches were correctly booked. If you wanted cheap pops please go watch the father promotion.

[cornette]
I completely agree on the title matches being correctly booked. May have tried to do more to get Garcia over Tana but that's honestly minor and a loss that doesn't at all hurt him.
I was in on Top Flight winning the ladder.match and actually bit at first when I saw somebody suggest an audible was called after Dante went down but I also remembered that the Lucha Bros had recently teamed with Mark on Rampage.
Montana

Post by Montana »

tigermask7.0 wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 6:46 am All the title matches were booked correctly. You got worked.

[cornette]
I dont know if this was directed at me; me i said i was baffled by the result of Mark and Samoa Joe. I actually agree with pretty much all the winners/losers of the night; i found it very odd, they claimed supercard of honor would be Jay's night, and Marks night as a tribute to Jay... Just to "work" me. I can see a guy losing in his hometown; but building it up like they did as a tribute; only to have Mark lose was questionable booking. Maybe just don't book that match next time. Do a Mark vs. Jay Lethal tribute match or something. Maybe Mark didn't want to win like that. Honestly i barely was even watching the match, so if they did "work" me; i was barely paying attention.

I don't classify the right people winning as good story lines. I just want some logic, that lacks in both AEW & ROH. BCC is a perfect example. They are heel now; but can't get a straight answer why from anyone. Maybe they'll explain this week on Dynamite; but theres too many angles that lack logic. Jericho normally has logical angles; the Hangman build up to world champ was good; but more misses than hits right now for me.
AnHonorableMention

Mark and Eddie not winning was a choice. I'm all for layering Mark up with this Jesus nonsense because it's authentic and connects to some of the audience. They can pay that off when ROH runs Philly and people will go banana. Same with Eddie and New York. I don't mind one losing and that was preferably Mark playing into the faith and resiliance he now has with Jay watching over him. Eddie winning would have been an all time moment, and cemented him at the top of ROH and adding to the depth of his character having a chip on his shoulder and that be possibly his downfall or the reason he succeeds.

I will again reinterate no more ladder matches. Fuck anyone that disagrees with that, 1 year ban of ladders and ladder matches.
Captain Podcast
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

supersonic wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 4:32 am Another key differentiator would be to avoid having ladder matches until the time is right. It seemed SBG got that part right from the Silkin era, sporadically doing them until there was damn good reason and therefore always making them meaningful like they were industry-wide in the 1990s and 2000s.
Bumping this again.
AnHonorableMention

supersonic wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 6:11 pm
supersonic wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 4:32 am Another key differentiator would be to avoid having ladder matches until the time is right. It seemed SBG got that part right from the Silkin era, sporadically doing them until there was damn good reason and therefore always making them meaningful like they were industry-wide in the 1990s and 2000s.
Bumping this again.
The SBG group and Bucks bastardized the concept with less shows. No more ladder matches for a year, I dare Tony! Double or Nothing!

EDIT: I'm sick and fucking tired of my friends getting hurt or taking serious enough risks that it affects them mentally outside of the ring, and yes there is one specific example of this and I won't be mentioned the person by name. Just know there has been extensive mental anguish on their part.
Captain Podcast
McXal
Donator
Donator

Post by McXal »

I also support cooling off on Ladder Matches.

I love the ‘Ladder War’ concept in ROH. It was built up as super-special and a major deal, and I completely agree that Sinclair got utterly carried away with them after the runaway success of Bucks/Addiction/MCMG at All Star Extravaganza 8 in 2016 (and as Delirious realised that booking ladder matches was another crutch he could use to shift tickets instead of having to do something crazy like long-term story-telling or creating compelling characters that progress and develop that fans can invest in)…

I still love Ladder Matches, and I really liked the Reach For The Sky match - albeit it was undeniably horribly marred by the injury to Dante, in a spot which just didn’t make much sense any way you look at it. But it is a concept that is so utterly overblown right now. Like Fight Without Honor, I would much rather TK put it on the shelf and only dusted the stipulation off on the rare occasions when a storyline warrants it.

I’ll post my full review soon - but I loved Supercard generally. Super fun show, and the only championship decision I really strongly disagreed with was Shibata/Yuta, which feels completely bonkers. In fact, Tanahashi and Shibata (legendary as they are) were probably my least favourite parts of the entire PPV. Watching them as shadows of what they once were going over great young talents like Yuta and Garcia did nothing for me.

Nigel being back (even if it was for one night only) was marvellous. Hopefully getting more of the Lucha Bros in ROH is awesome. Vikingo/Komander was ridiculous in all the best ways - and i’m actually quite happy that TK resisted the urge for sugar rush pop, feel good title changes for Joe/Mark and Claudio/Eddie. In truth I too would’ve probably pulled the trigger on Kingston (I’ve never liked the ‘Mark’s dream is to be TV Champion’ deal and totally get trying to tell more of a story with him and Joe). But the finishes to both have me genuinely intrigued to see where Tony goes next with the stories of the men involved. I rarely came away from Sinclair-era PPV’s feeling like that…
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

There's an argument to be made that Mark and Kingston's failures should be grooming them to eventually reach for greater heights later in the year - Mark coming for Castagnoli, Kingston coming for MJF.
Montana

Post by Montana »

A lot of people thought it should have been Mark vs. Claudio at Supercard; which i think we'll see down the road.

Either way; i'd love for them to build Claudio like the ~2010 Chikara heel faction Claudio. His new music is excellent; Yuta is a decent smurky sidekick. I think his title run has legs. (although two typical babyfaces are now the top heels in ROH) I think him winning was absolutely the right call. Not against Kingston winning at some point, but build it up a bit more.
Shanahan

Post by Shanahan »

I didn’t mind Mark or Eddie losing. I didn’t like both of them losing. I have no interest in Shibata wrestling. It’s too dangerous so I was bummed he won pure title. Dude almost died from brain bleed. You just don’t heal from that & get back to taking bumps.
McXal
Donator
Donator

Post by McXal »

My Supercard review as below. (Absolutely bloody loved Claudio/Eddie…)

https://mcxalsreviews.yolasite.com/544s ... onor15.php
AnHonorableMention

McXal wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 11:03 am My Supercard review as below. (Absolutely bloody loved Claudio/Eddie…)

https://mcxalsreviews.yolasite.com/544s ... onor15.php
Way more optimistic on the show than me, but indeed a great event and a fine salute to the traditions of ROH.
Captain Podcast