Supercard of Honor 2023

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
Montana

Supercard of Honor 2023

Post by Montana »

Trying to keep spoiler free; with what's already aired on TV/Announced.

(Rumored/hinted)

ROH Women's Title

Athena vs. Yuka Sakazaki
Last edited by Montana on Wed Mar 29, 2023 5:58 am, edited 3 times in total.
supersonic

Re: Supercard of Honor 2023

Post by supersonic »

I'd have much rather seen that ROH Title match take place at All Out with Castagnoli going over, then Kingston claiming it in the rematch at Grand Slam. (And no, I don't give a single shit about Kingston's demotion in the past 6 months being reasoned as that he had the gall to step on the toes of an irrelevant little shit that buddies up to the showrunner and alcoholic wannabe locker room Undertaker.)
AnHonorableMention

Post by AnHonorableMention »

supersonic wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 4:00 pm I'd have much rather seen that ROH Title match take place at All Out with Castagnoli going over, then Kingston claiming it in the rematch at Grand Slam. (And no, I don't give a single shit about Kingston's demotion in the past 6 months being reasoned as that he had the gall to step on the toes of an irrelevant little shit that buddies up to the showrunner and alcoholic wannabe locker room Undertaker.)
I think this is a bit of a stretch. If anything Jericho is more WCW Hogan, he doesn't have the fear or aura the magataker had.
Captain Podcast
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

AnHonorableMention wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 5:53 pm
supersonic wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 4:00 pm I'd have much rather seen that ROH Title match take place at All Out with Castagnoli going over, then Kingston claiming it in the rematch at Grand Slam. (And no, I don't give a single shit about Kingston's demotion in the past 6 months being reasoned as that he had the gall to step on the toes of an irrelevant little shit that buddies up to the showrunner and alcoholic wannabe locker room Undertaker.)
I think this is a bit of a stretch. If anything Jericho is more WCW Hogan, he doesn't have the fear or aura the magataker had.
I won't go that far - Hogan prematurely ended the Flair program so that WCW's WrestleMania could be headlined instead by Beefcake. When a PPV is headlined by Hager, I'll buy that comparison. (It's why I also laugh at those who say Punk is as cancerous as Hogan - he never lobbied for Steel to get a major PPV headliner push either.)

The Taker/Jericho comparison stands because they're false leaders, the latter a pale imitation of the former's style of "leadership." I definitely believe that talents are afraid to speak up against Jericho and let him know directly how badly his creative farts stink.
AnHonorableMention

supersonic wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 10:43 pm
AnHonorableMention wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 5:53 pm
I won't go that far - Hogan prematurely ended the Flair program so that WCW's WrestleMania could be headlined instead by Beefcake. When a PPV is headlined by Hager, I'll buy that comparison. (It's why I also laugh at those who say Punk is as cancerous as Hogan - he never lobbied for Steel to get a major PPV headliner push either.)

The Taker/Jericho comparison stands because they're false leaders, the latter a pale imitation of the former's style of "leadership." I definitely believe that talents are afraid to speak up against Jericho and let him know directly how badly his creative farts stink.
To be honest when I was around jericho was very pleasant and present for everyone, same for Punk. Hagar has a contract because of jericho. He’s not a leader like a Mox or dragon. So we can throw that analogy away. He likes to drink off the clock, not a problem. His wife was a J6’er big problem
Captain Podcast
tigermask7.0

Post by tigermask7.0 »

If Ring Of Honor is trying to differentiate itself, holding an Honor Rumble (in the Zero Hour spot) mixing independent talent, NJPW, CMLL with ROH wrestlers may help.
It's not easy being the Greatest 7th generation wrestler Of All Time!
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

Another key differentiator would be to avoid having ladder matches until the time is right. It seemed SBG got that part right from the Silkin era, sporadically doing them until there was damn good reason and therefore always making them meaningful like they were industry-wide in the 1990s and 2000s.
maxx_powerz

Post by maxx_powerz »

I'm just kind of bored of ladder matches anyway. I mean we've been doing TLC tribute spots for 20+ years. I'd have rather just seen four qualification matches on TV and then an elimination match at the PPV. But considering the Briscoes ladder match history, it probably is a fitting tribute.
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

maxx_powerz wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 4:50 pm I'm just kind of bored of ladder matches anyway. I mean we've been doing TLC tribute spots for 20+ years. I'd have rather just seen four qualification matches on TV and then an elimination match at the PPV. But considering the Briscoes ladder match history, it probably is a fitting tribute.
Oh, what do we know? I now say we need a TOURNAMENT of nothing but ladder matches!!!
Montana

Post by Montana »

Im curious who they plan to use for the Ladder match. Guess we know Lucha Bros for sure....

Who else makes sense...

OGK & Top Flight seem like logical locks for this. Seems like they'll be used a lot in ROH moving forward.

Less likely, but maybe....

FTR - To me, logic says FTR should be in the match considering they were the champs, and it being a tribute to Jay. ALthough, not sure if they going for AEW tag belts next.

Young Bucks - As one of the Briscoes greatest rivals, could make for an interesting matchup for sure. They just lost their trio's belts too. Although , unlikely i think.

Imagine we get a NJPW team, less likely would be GOD... more likely Aussie Open.

Long long shot may be a team like the Von Erichs. Basically another brother tag team.
dhads7161

Post by dhads7161 »

Aussie Open possibly?
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

Montana

Post by Montana »

Thanks... added those pics to the top.

Some banger matches indeed. Looks like this will be a very good show top to bottom.

Hope to see Bandido soon in ROH.
ICHIFUJI

Post by ICHIFUJI »

truly looks like SUPERCARD of WM weekend.
classic-cabana
Donator
Donator

Post by classic-cabana »

That ladder match is going to be 🔥🔥🔥

Whilst I've enjoyed ROH tv, its been mostly fine (finding its feet and thats ok) but Im hoping this ppv is the impetus to really get things moving

Absolutely hyped for this ppv though, even booked night off work, 11pm start UK time if Im correct

Lastly, COME ON EDDIE! 🙏
AnHonorableMention

Not big on the lucha style but that vikingo is pretty athletic. So it should please the crowd.

Top Flight should win the ladder match as their trajectory is in fact eerily similar to Mark and Jay. If it’s the kingdumb, Tony lost the plot.
Captain Podcast
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

A rivalry spanning 15 years comes to a head at ROH's Supercard of Honor | Claudio + Kingston Preview

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TFVYzMF ... rWrestling
AnHonorableMention

monster mafia wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 3:34 pm A rivalry spanning 15 years comes to a head at ROH's Supercard of Honor | Claudio + Kingston Preview

I am old enough to remember when people bitched about this match not having reasoning. LOL
Captain Podcast
Shanahan

Post by Shanahan »

AnHonorableMention wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 7:04 pm
monster mafia wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 3:34 pm A rivalry spanning 15 years comes to a head at ROH's Supercard of Honor | Claudio + Kingston Preview

I am old enough to remember when people bitched about this match not having reasoning. LOL
i didn't say reasoning you just make up stuff. They should just scrap TV and do free youtube hype videos going forward. Everyone has a history with someone. Hey...40 bucks for a PPV in 2023 ain't much right? 10 a month for TV that does nothing to build up the main event, instead people can just watch youtube. Good business model.

After Eddie wins, homicide can appear, yell at eddie. Then over next 12 weeks they can have a few squash matches, maybe a fork is thrown and then a 15 min youtube hype video and then have people pay another 40 bucks.