Death Before Dishonor 2022!

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
AnHonorableMention

Re: Death Before Dishonor 2022!

Post by AnHonorableMention »

indyfan wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 8:34 am
Shanahan wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 8:36 pm I can count on 1 hand the people who liked or thought Gresham heel turn made sense & I’m not surprised one of them is you.
If it happened while under SBG, he would of hated it. We all know it too.

The turn was stupid. plain and simple.

Gresham should win this match to help further establish him. Then have Claudio beat him at Final Battle

Gresham is a much better promo than Claudio. its not even comparable
Nope, advocated the Foundation as a heel act many times. But let's not lose the plot because ROH did something positive. Why would Claudio lose here but then win in December when they haven't had 1 TV show yet, and likely may only have a handful by Final Battle? Very clearly none of you understand how building and selling a promotion to TV works. Sinclair didn't for 11 years, not 1 reason any of you should either if that's your following line.
Captain Podcast
tigermask7.0

Post by tigermask7.0 »

ROH Countdown to Death Before Dishonor.
https://youtu.be/i_8jMBtB4dQ
It's not easy being the Greatest 7th generation wrestler Of All Time!
Wavelet Transform

Post by Wavelet Transform »

indyfan wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 8:34 am Gresham is a much better promo than Claudio. its not even comparable
Yep.

Great news about the Briscoes being signed. Looks like they'll lose at the ppv, but having a permanent home in ROH is a bigger deal.
Wavelet Transform

Montana wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 12:26 pm The countdown to ROH Death Before Dishonor was really good. I'm patiently waiting what else will be announced. I assume Takeshita will be there, as the fans online seem to really be rooting for him to be a big part of the new ROH, which i'm 100% cool with.

Imagine with get a mix of Brian Cage, Colt Cabana, Gates of Agony (Pre-show) Tony Nese,Dalton Castle, Lee Moriarty, and maybe someone like Santana. Kinda feel like we get one more banger match with like Pac vs. someone from House of Black. Would be awesome to see guys like Deppen/Dragon Lee and a few other former ROH talents on the card too.
Yeah, fair play to Tony, that countdown show was great. Best part for me was the Garcia / Yuta segment; light years better than anything I've seen them do elsewhere. Nice use of ROH history to build a couple of the feuds too. Doesn't really match what we've seen AEW TV, but does give hints of what ROH w/ a more defined, separate-from-AEW identity might look like.
Wavelet Transform

More matches added:

https://twitter.com/WrestlingCovers/sta ... 5829636097

Rush / Dragon Lee the most intriguing of the bunch. Seems likely Rush takes it, but Dragon Lee in ROH is good news. Hope the TBE 6-man is more than a squash because all three of their opponents are better / more interesting.
indyfan

Post by indyfan »

Wavelet Transform wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 8:11 pm
indyfan wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 8:34 am Gresham is a much better promo than Claudio. its not even comparable
Yep.

Great news about the Briscoes being signed. Looks like they'll lose at the ppv, but having a permanent home in ROH is a bigger deal.
Did you see Double Cs amazing promo regarding the match?
Montana

Post by Montana »

Wavelet Transform wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 7:48 pm More matches added:

https://twitter.com/WrestlingCovers/sta ... 5829636097

Rush / Dragon Lee the most intriguing of the bunch. Seems likely Rush takes it, but Dragon Lee in ROH is good news. Hope the TBE 6-man is more than a squash because all three of their opponents are better / more interesting.
100% agree on the 6 man - pre show. Very glad to see Deppen, Zayne and Christian on the card. Rush/Dragon Lee is going to be nuts. I don't know how they don't announce that sooner. Seems odd they pulled JD Drake from an indy show; just to be in anthony henry's corner.

Show seems like it should be quite good.
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

Captain_44

Post by Captain_44 »

The Six Man on the pre-show was very good.
Chrisvegas27

Post by Chrisvegas27 »

Feel sorry for Gresham you got some aew fans trashing him and some impact fans begging him to go back to impact where he get treated better
dhads7161

Post by dhads7161 »

Shame Cary wasn't there to present the belt to Claudio. And dammit, you were in the Boston metro area and they couldn't bring Todd Sinclair in to referee this show? Other than that no complaints, my friend's money was well spent at least from my perspective. Thought the Zero Hour was very solid and one of the best pre-shows I've ever seen any company put on before.
Shanahan

Post by Shanahan »

Crowd sucked. Good show. Liked FTR/Briscoes 1 better. Poor Gresham. Who the hell did he piss off. Not sure how much his contract is but he may be regreting it now.
McXal
Donator
Donator

Post by McXal »

My review of the show is as below. I liked it. Maybe not on the same level as Supercard, and if I’m being blunt I still didn’t quite see enough of differentiation between an ROH brand and AEW’s usual product…but still heaps of fun.

I loved Briscoes/FTR 1, and thought the rematch was even better. Genuinely one of my favourite ever ROH matches.

http://mcxalsreviews.yolasite.com/541de ... onor19.php
DougN

Post by DougN »

Thought the Gresham stuff sucked to be honest. Even if he was a dick or difficult to deal with, there's something that doesn't sit well about mishandling one of the few guys who made ROH watchable the past two years. And it's not that he dropped the belt to Claudio. That's fine and Claudio is great and deserving and interesting. But it's the context of it all for Gresham.

The Foundation is dropped completely, aligns with Samoa Joe in March against Lethal/Dutt/Satnam, then just dropped from that storyline, randomly turns heel, inexplicably joins with Tully, oh wait, it's not Tully anymore, it's Prince Nana and you're in the new Embassy. Oh, and we're going to give you 12 minutes in the opening slot. When you take a step back and see all of that stuff, it's ridiculous.
I've got over 400 ROH DVDs for sale from 2002 to 2018! Let me know if you are looking for any! Can ship anywhere in the world.
BurningHammer

Post by BurningHammer »

With regards to Gresham, you have to have the context that Khan wanted to keep the booking going into Supercard as consistent as possible so Gresham wasn’t really his choice. I also don’t think the Tully thing is something he can really control by the sounds of it, I actually think he’s a much better fit for group than Nanna but having Nanna around isn’t a bad thing for me, though it’s going to need a strong leader to really make it whole as I don’t feel Cage in that role.

I don’t particularly like how it all came together and what’s happened with Gresham sadly he’s hasn’t done himself any favours by how he went into the match and stuff afterwards. ROH is now changing and it’s no one’s fault really.
Montana

Post by Montana »

DougN wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 6:58 am Thought the Gresham stuff sucked to be honest. Even if he was a dick or difficult to deal with, there's something that doesn't sit well about mishandling one of the few guys who made ROH watchable the past two years. And it's not that he dropped the belt to Claudio. That's fine and Claudio is great and deserving and interesting. But it's the context of it all for Gresham.

The Foundation is dropped completely, aligns with Samoa Joe in March against Lethal/Dutt/Satnam, then just dropped from that storyline, randomly turns heel, inexplicably joins with Tully, oh wait, it's not Tully anymore, it's Prince Nana and you're in the new Embassy. Oh, and we're going to give you 12 minutes in the opening slot. When you take a step back and see all of that stuff, it's ridiculous.
Yeah; this was a trainwreck for Gresham. I assume some stuff was happening last minute; as Nana was super random; says he's coming out with Gresham; but then doesn't. Gresham doesn't wear his octopus mask/robe. Nana randomly comes down in the middle of the match; and loses in 12 minutes. No other story lines after that. Again; they didn't need to turn him heel; just to lose the belt as i said a few days ago. He could have simply gone into this match, fought hard, claudio was the better man; THEN give him a jump by joining Nana or Tully.

Other than the disjointed booking; I thought the matches for the most part were excellent. Pre-show was goood, not great.

Title match was OK; but was kinda short.

6 man match was about what you'd expect.

Pure title 4.00 - Really like this one.

Rush/Dragon Lee - 4.75 -5.0 - I loved this match; and if the crowd knew these wrestlers better, (primarily an AEW crowd) it would have been 5 stars for me. I know i might be rating it a bit high; but thought this was a great match.

Women's Match & TV title match - 3,75-4.0 for both. Both Very good matches.

Briscoes vs. FTR II - 4.75-5.0 - Fantastic match; MOTN; but it's interesting how subjective matches can be. On a rating scale; i had this equal to Rush/Lee; but this was a superior match. Both very unique matches. This one was obviously longer and had the crowd in it.

Show rating 9/10

The wrestling was fantastic; some of the booking is so bad; it makes all the booking look bad. With the little time they had, they did properly build up the TV/Tag/Pure title matches well. The ending was just kinda there. Was expecting something like maybe an announcement for a future show. Doesn't need to even be a PPV; but like a live event to continue some story lines; but no. It felt very AEW, at least with the crowd; and hyping up Dynamite to close the show.

Can't wait to see what the ROH product will look like; once it's all said/done.
Montana

Post by Montana »

BurningHammer wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 7:10 am I don’t particularly like how it all came together and what’s happened with Gresham sadly he’s hasn’t done himself any favours by how he went into the match and stuff afterwards. ROH is now changing and it’s no one’s fault really.
What do you mean by Gresham hasn't done himself any favors by how he went into the match and the stuff afterwards? I don't recall him do anything after the match. Seemed like Gresham's matches were fine on like Rampage and cut a pretty good promo. But his fault , on the booking side.

Like you said, kinda is what it is. ROH is changing; and no one specifics fault. At least, it seems like the plan is to focus on quality in ring wrestling.
indyfan

Post by indyfan »

Gresham apparently deleted both his twitter accounts. Did Tiny kill another wrestlers dream?
dhads7161

Post by dhads7161 »

Gresham is a guy who shouldn't be turning honestly. Guy flies the flag of pure wrestling and honor way too high. He could maybe display some frustration and extra attitude coming off a loss but in no way should he be getting into bed with sleazeballs like Tully or Nana just doesn't fit with his gimmick.
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

by fightful: gresham asked for his aew roh release.