Tony Kahn booking ROH

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
Montana

Tony Kahn booking ROH

Post by Montana »

I know it’s a bit early to discuss since we really haven’t seen any of Tony’s booking of ROH yet. (Other than Briscoes/FTR which was pretty much set before). It does look like ROH will be a weekly series on tv or streaming.

How do you think he’ll do?

Do you like TK’s booking style?

Will he change up his AEW booking style for ROH?

Other thoughts??

For me, there’s some things I like about TK’s booking , some I don’t. I think he’s got an incredible amount of talent, so he can basically make it as good as he wants. I think he’ll book similar to AEW in the sense, wanting to make new stars, setting up ppv matches well, a handful of good/random matches. Match quality hopefully is high.

I could see TK changing his booking style a bit. More traditional ROH, with a lot less run in’s. More back to basics wrestling. Can certainly see more use of legends, and Probably some past ROH guys with one off appearances.

Overall, I think he’ll do alright. I certainly see the product changing. Just depends if he wants ROH to be SD or NXT in a sense. Either way I think this is good for AEW and ROH.

Hopefully booking two shows doesn’t burn out TK, but so many talented folks that could help out.
DougN

Re: Tony Kahn booking ROH

Post by DougN »

I think the first few shows would be good, but long-term will be rough just because of time constraints.
I've got over 400 ROH DVDs for sale from 2002 to 2018! Let me know if you are looking for any! Can ship anywhere in the world.
McXal
Donator
Donator

Post by McXal »

I’ve said it elsewhere as well, but I truly hope that if/once TK has ROH up and running as his ‘NXT’/sub-promotion/feeder league he does relinquish a little control. I enjoy AEW and one thing I can never fault Khan for his effort, and a desire to go all out to reward the audience (the antithesis of the sterile, safe, corporate ROH product). But he isn’t a perfect booker, and stretching himself even further seems a little ambitious

Once ROH in its new format is bedded in he really would do well to get people like Regal (& Gabe, clearly I’m going to say Gabe) etc - with experience of working in WWE’s NXT system - to at least help him out. He can still Vince McMahon it and have overall control (as he is completely correct that whatever happens he needs an ROH product which is consistent with AEW’s values and enables wrestlers to move onto AEW TV without big gimmick swaps or aesthetic changes) but the dude can’t do EVERYTHING.
Captain_44

Post by Captain_44 »

I personally think Tony will book ROH like he was a fan of, more like the Gabe era. I know he's a big ROH fan, and he mentions that era a lot. It's just my opinion.
EvanKnight

Post by EvanKnight »

Tony has an uphill battle because for ROH to thrive, it has to have its own distinct brand identity, and it is incredibly difficult for someone to operate creatively in two different mindsets at the same time.
BurningHammer

Post by BurningHammer »

Honestly, considering what we’ve had over the years, the booking couldn’t be much worse, so I don’t think Khan has too much of an issue to please me anyway. You can book ROH very easily just in match style, and quality. Having a sense of ROH through Scramble matches, 4 ways, Tag matches etc. Plus having true great wrestling matches, like a 2 hour draw, a match like Joe and Low Ki, I would very much look to early ROH as example of where to start again. Certainly not all of it, but it was that start a feel of community, togetherness that also included the fans made ROH what it was.

Talent for me has been far more an issue to ROH over the last few years than even the bad booking. You need talent that fans can connect too naturally that hasn’t happened for a long time really. A lot of work had to be done to get people over, to get people to that level and quite often it took too long or in the end the talent wasn’t good enough. If Khan can create a young, wrestling orientated roster subsidised buy a select group of character based men and women you’ll connect back to an audience again.

The image of ROH will play an important part, simple things like how the set, the ring will look, the commentary style, a strong woman’s division, non controversial figures who create awful headlines for the company. The fact that ROH isn’t owned now by a controversial company will help for many fans, overall I’m less concerned with Khan being the owner and booker than I am the previous regime. It may take time to create the right product from getting the amount of people involved but I think it can happen far easier with Khan in charge.
KL_

Post by KL_ »

I hope Tony as a booker will be as good as when there was a potential with Marty in that position in the first half of 2020.
I'm not watching AEW, so I don't know how true this can be, but I think we can agree that rather than staying with Delirious, the change is needed.
Ryan Faulconer

Post by Ryan Faulconer »

Without knowing your reasons I feel the urge to encourage Ring of Honor fans to watch All Elite Wrestling.

AEW is what ROH likely wanted to become. Tony Khan used to go to ROH (ECW too!) shows. He posted on several message boards prior to AEW. While I don’t know if he migrated here he definitely posted at deathvalleydriver.com and CZWFans. It would have only made sense for him to probably post at the original ROH forums linked to ROH’s official site as well.

He was at some of the ROH vs CZW shows in 2006. Tony Khan could afford buying every ROH DVD release without it needing to be ON SALE! That’s either a hell of a devoted fan…or he is just rich with a lot of obsolete media taking up space. That streaming service can solve many issues ROH and AEW fans alike would greatly appreciate having solved.
tigermask7.0

Post by tigermask7.0 »

Tony Khan doesn't need to be the Booker.
Tony Khan, William Regal and someone from ROH's past need to be the Booker. A creative team from different generations of pro-wrestling.

For example:
ROH doesn't need the Andrade Family Office.
ROH needs Dragon Lee, Rush and Andrade as the faccion ingobernable.

Or Shane Taylor Promotions battling the Righteous on the long-term. Without or without the six-man tag team titles.
It's not easy being the Greatest 7th generation wrestler Of All Time!
Captain_44

Post by Captain_44 »

ROH like all wrestling companies doesn't need a "creative team". Tony Khan being the booker is fine with me. There needs to be one person who's in charge. Khan is smart enough to know what wrestling fans want to see out of the new ROH.
dhads7161

Post by dhads7161 »

If there is anything on AEW programming I would like to see cross over to the new ROH it's the FTR vs. Danielson/Moxley feud that's was starting up on this week's Dynamite. If Dem Boyz are indeed on the way out what a better first tag title feud to kick off the new era than FTR vs. Moxley and the ROH Hall of Famer?
Reaper G

Post by Reaper G »

Tony Khan is spreading himself too thin, I think, by making himself booker. At the very least, he should have someone like a Regal or an ROH vet assisting him.
dhads7161

Post by dhads7161 »

You have to see otbas work to spread yourself too thin. I feel to Khan wrestling is a hobby and it will be years down the road before he's spread thin or burnt out.
KL_

Post by KL_ »

tigermask7.0

Post by tigermask7.0 »

*BOOM!!!*

Someone please hire this Cary guy as part of creative.
AnHonorableMention

Post by AnHonorableMention »

Or ya know they could make those guys earn their way in based on how the issue with the Bucks and Cody went but ya know let the fans run the company surely they could do better...
Captain Podcast
tigermask7.0

Post by tigermask7.0 »

Earn their way in? What does that mean?
It's not like this stuff is a legitimate competition.

And who are they?
The voices in your head?

Letting the fans run the company?
How does that not apply to you?

#AndGo
AnHonorableMention

Post by AnHonorableMention »

tigermask7.0 wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 9:42 am Earn their way in? What does that mean?
It's not like this stuff is a legitimate competition.

And who are they?
The voices in your head?

Letting the fans run the company?
How does that not apply to you?

#AndGo
I don't know what you're asking. It's 2022 message board gimmicks were lame 20 years ago. Literally EVERYTHING I said has been explained elsewhere.
Captain Podcast
Captain_44

Post by Captain_44 »

One thing about Tony's booking of AEW. He has input from a lot of people with him being the final say. Yes a good booker as I've been told listens to talent. With ROH it will probably be just, Tony's vision with input from talent in their programs.
EvanKnight

Post by EvanKnight »

Looking at Supercard, you could make the argument that this is the most "classic ROH" show that ROH has put on in quite a while.