Tony Kahn booking ROH

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
tigermask7.0

Re: Tony Kahn booking ROH

Post by tigermask7.0 »

If Tony Khan is trying to make ROH different from AEW ... why would he ask the EVPs of AEW their input?
Especially when TK is surrounded by more experienced people in the business & in business in general.
It's not easy being the Greatest 7th generation wrestler Of All Time!
Captain_44

Post by Captain_44 »

tigermask7.0 wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 3:47 pm If Tony Khan is trying to make ROH different from AEW ... why would he ask the EVPs of AEW their input?
Especially when TK is surrounded by more experienced people in the business & in business in general.
Who said Tony is asking the EVP's anything about ROH? I would imagine ROH is Tony's baby and his alone. AEW is where he gets input from the EVP's and others.
tigermask7.0

Post by tigermask7.0 »

Is TK going to book Ring Of Honor from a creative perspective ... or an analytical one?
McXal
Donator
Donator

Post by McXal »

He made a weird comment about this in the post-Supercard press conference - and described his role in ROH as wanting to be more like a ‘coach’ and less of a booker - and didn’t really expand much upon what that meant.

(It was a slightly confusing comment, and as enthusiastic as TK is - some of his comments in these post-event ‘scrums’ can sometimes be a little confusing, or prolonged streams of thoughts rather than clearly defined ‘statements’. It’s possibly I misinterpreted it…)
Montana

Post by Montana »

McXal wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 9:55 am He made a weird comment about this in the post-Supercard press conference - and described his role in ROH as wanting to be more like a ‘coach’ and less of a booker - and didn’t really expand much upon what that meant.

(It was a slightly confusing comment, and as enthusiastic as TK is - some of his comments in these post-event ‘scrums’ can sometimes be a little confusing, or prolonged streams of thoughts rather than clearly defined ‘statements’. It’s possibly I misinterpreted it…)
I believe the question was something along of the lines of ... Maria was posting on social media, and that's she's gotten positive review of the ROH women's reboot;... and would Tony be interested in her in a booking role for the women's division.

So Tony basically tried to politically say, he's the booker, he doesn't need help, but he could use more coaches.
DougN

Post by DougN »

McXal wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 9:55 am He made a weird comment about this in the post-Supercard press conference - and described his role in ROH as wanting to be more like a ‘coach’ and less of a booker - and didn’t really expand much upon what that meant.

I'm a fan of TK, but he needs to drastically scale back interviews and public comments.
I've got over 400 ROH DVDs for sale from 2002 to 2018! Let me know if you are looking for any! Can ship anywhere in the world.
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

Am I the only one musky amused by SBG era marks getting upset to the degree of asking ROH to change its name without the SBG era staples getting booked regularly?

The “spirit” of ROH died in late June 2011 and has a chance to finally be resurrected both in direction and the library.
indyfan

Post by indyfan »

supersonic wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 6:19 pm Am I the only one musky amused by SBG era marks getting upset to the degree of asking ROH to change its name without the SBG era staples getting booked regularly?

The “spirit” of ROH died in late June 2011 and has a chance to finally be resurrected both in direction and the library.
I find it funny how hard you try to push that the spirit of ROH died in 2011. no one really thinks that but you and honorable.

oh and ive been watching since 2006.

Why do you think a guy like Josh Woods or Eli Isom shouldnt be brought in ....two guys who would of fit right into any era between 2002 and 2011.

Do you feel that way about Rhett too?

i mean do you actually think Christopher Street Connection, Donovan Morgan, Scoot Andrews, Carnage Crew, Tony Mamaluke were the definition of ROH.

I think a lot of guys who are golden era marks are wearing rose tinted glasses. ROH back then had guys way way way worse than Woods and Isom.
DougN

Post by DougN »

indyfan wrote: Sat Apr 09, 2022 4:35 am
supersonic wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 6:19 pm Am I the only one musky amused by SBG era marks getting upset to the degree of asking ROH to change its name without the SBG era staples getting booked regularly?

I find it funny how hard you try to push that the spirit of ROH died in 2011. no one really thinks that but you and honorable.

Why do you think a guy like Josh Woods or Eli Isom shouldnt be brought in ....two guys who would of fit right into any era between 2002 and 2011.

i mean do you actually think Christopher Street Connection, Donovan Morgan, Scoot Andrews, Carnage Crew, Tony Mamaluke were the definition of ROH.

I think a lot of guys who are golden era marks are wearing rose tinted glasses. ROH back then had guys way way way worse than Woods and Isom.
Dude, what are you talking about? A lot of people put 2011 as a big time for ROH fading away. Honestly, just a pick a year 2009, 2010, 2011, or 2012 and you've got a pocket of people claiming that's when ROH lost it's special touch.
I've got over 400 ROH DVDs for sale from 2002 to 2018! Let me know if you are looking for any! Can ship anywhere in the world.
Montana

Post by Montana »

If ROH truly died in 2011, we wouldn’t still be here talking about it today. Sure, 2002-2010 was excellent, but 2011-2021 was pretty solid compared to other wrestling companies during this era. SBG also had to transform a Indy company to A TV Product. They had wwe/NXT absorbing as much talent as they could. TNA died during this period. ROH became the #2 company in North America, and had one of the highest grossing wrestling shows non-wwe of all time.

So yeah, it’s your opinion that the “spirit” died, but not everyone agrees with that. I don’t think Jay Lethal’s ,or Jay Briscoes spirit died. Or Adam Cole/ Young bucks, etc etc . It’s not always black/white. It’s not like the company did a complete 180. They had to change/evolve , but I think they tried to stay close to what they were. The wheels kinda came off in 2019, but who knows how 2020 would been had their been no pandemic.
indyfan

Post by indyfan »

DougN wrote: Sat Apr 09, 2022 5:02 am

Dude, what are you talking about? A lot of people put 2011 as a big time for ROH fading away. Honestly, just a pick a year 2009, 2010, 2011, or 2012 and you've got a pocket of people claiming that's when ROH lost it's special touch.
Yeah but around here its them. The others you speak of ...where are they....oh they were replaced by other fans.

Look i love the golden years too but this bs about what ROHs spirit is ridiculous and doesnt matter. especially when trying to prove Tony is going to bring it back ....because Samoe Joe showed up on one show.

look at AEW...its nowhere close to being like ROH. thats what the new ROH is going to look like.
indyfan

Post by indyfan »

Montana wrote: Sat Apr 09, 2022 5:42 am If ROH truly died in 2011, we wouldn’t still be here talking about it today. Sure, 2002-2010 was excellent, but 2011-2021 was pretty solid compared to other wrestling companies during this era. SBG also had to transform a Indy company to A TV Product. They had wwe/NXT absorbing as much talent as they could. TNA died during this period. ROH became the #2 company in North America, and had one of the highest grossing wrestling shows non-wwe of all time.

So yeah, it’s your opinion that the “spirit” died, but not everyone agrees with that. I don’t think Jay Lethal’s ,or Jay Briscoes spirit died. Or Adam Cole/ Young bucks, etc etc . It’s not always black/white. It’s not like the company did a complete 180. They had to change/evolve , but I think they tried to stay close to what they were. The wheels kinda came off in 2019, but who knows how 2020 would been had their been no pandemic.
100%

I think too many people equate buzz with success.

i often wonder where all these old ROH fans ended up flocking too in 2011 and 2012. WWE? TNA?

Does anyone actually think jobbing Rhett Titus out of a belt in 6 minutes in the spirit of ROH? There was guy, back in december, glamouring to have Rhett face Gresham for the belt for all his loyalty
tigermask7.0

Post by tigermask7.0 »

Discovery acquisition of Warnermedia may make Tony Khan reevaluate his AEW television product. There may be too much "shit" & blood for the new overlords.

In the long run this may be best. It might make tk create a more concise vision of pro-wrestling... which may translate to or be influenced by Ring Of Honor.

P.S. u can't capture the spirit of a previous era. Look at undisputed era.
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

Montana wrote: Sat Apr 09, 2022 5:42 am If ROH truly died in 2011, we wouldn’t still be here talking about it today. Sure, 2002-2010 was excellent, but 2011-2021 was pretty solid compared to other wrestling companies during this era. SBG also had to transform a Indy company to A TV Product. They had wwe/NXT absorbing as much talent as they could. TNA died during this period. ROH became the #2 company in North America, and had one of the highest grossing wrestling shows non-wwe of all time.

ROH's SBG Era was ROH in name and lineage only. I believe after initial shock pushback, changing the name to something else once it became "Smoky Mountain of Honor" in July 2011 would've been for the best.
Montana

Post by Montana »

supersonic wrote: Sat Apr 09, 2022 9:39 am

ROH's SBG Era was ROH in name and lineage only. I believe after initial shock pushback, changing the name to something else once it became "Smoky Mountain of Honor" in July 2011 would've been for the best.
Just feels a little over dramatic. It’s your opinion, and I’m not trying to change it. Clearly there was a change with new management, and trying to keep the company alive. To say they lost some spirit, sure. You could say when Gabe left, the spirit left too. For me, the product didn’t change enough to where It needed a name change. Plus it lasted 20 years and inspired all of wrestling today. That’s pretty incredible. Not to mention, I think ROH was pretty much better than TNA just about every year they’ve both existed.

I feel like TK and AEW are in some ways good for ROH and bad. I certainly feel like they have the money, resources to make it work. They have a good understanding of what fans want. That’s all great. I think will hurt the new ROH Is it’s booked as secondary. Like new Pure champ loses to Mox. Or the Gates of Agony. Where you got these green wrestlers getting ring time. Time will tell though. Think it depends what type of TV / Streaming deal they get and that will ultimately determine its place.
AnHonorableMention

Post by AnHonorableMention »

Oh it's absolutely hysterical. It's especially hysterical that a dream match promotion that became a pro wrestling all star game turned out such a bizarre set of fans once the tone of the promotion changed. I don't know if the spirit of ROH died because that's Cary Silkin and he's always been present. If anything the tone and mission changed and then SBG/Delirious lost the plot by putting ego before Elite.
Captain Podcast
AnHonorableMention

You've been watching since 2006, and that's great. But that doesn't mean you speak for me. So keep my Podcast name out of your mouth. As I explained, Cary Silkin is the spirit of ROH. He's alive and well and has always been present. The mission statement of we don't imitate, we innovate died when SBG bought it. Tossing around the word mark is hysterical because you've been watching since 2006. Rhett has been around since 2006. He was someone who attended many shows during the 2002 calendar year and onward. He's the hardest worker in the company and his title loss was handled in a way I did not like. However, it's one show and a show forced upon TK by a bunch of goofs at SBG.

Does all of ROH age as well on tape years later? You know the entire point of an inside baseball podcast called An Honorable Mention with Jeff Schwartz & Shane Hagadorn is to find the answer to that very question. Some stuff ages like a fine wine while other matches and characters do not. That can be said for literally every facet of our society.
Captain Podcast
indyfan

Post by indyfan »

AnHonorableMention wrote: Sat Apr 09, 2022 3:24 pm

You've been watching since 2006, and that's great. But that doesn't mean you speak for me. So keep my Podcast name out of your mouth. As I explained, Cary Silkin is the spirit of ROH. He's alive and well and has always been present. The mission statement of we don't imitate, we innovate died when SBG bought it. Tossing around the word mark is hysterical because you've been watching since 2006. Rhett has been around since 2006. He was someone who attended many shows during the 2002 calendar year and onward. He's the hardest worker in the company and his title loss was handled in a way I did not like. However, it's one show and a show forced upon TK by a bunch of goofs at SBG.

Does all of ROH age as well on tape years later? You know the entire point of an inside baseball podcast called An Honorable Mention with Jeff Schwartz & Shane Hagadorn is to find the answer to that very question. Some stuff ages like a fine wine while other matches and characters do not. That can be said for literally every facet of our society.
lol

We dont imitate, we innovate died long before 2011.

Rhett gets demolished by Suzuki and thats SBGs fault lol. Im not even a huge Titus fan, but i can't see how this new Era of ROH( that some fans think is closer to the golden era) has no spot for him.

i agree matches and characters age differently. I just dont see how guys like Adam Cole, Kyle Oreily, Mark Haskins, Tracy Williams, Gresham, Cobb, Woods, Elgin, Ciampa, Bandido, Rey Horus, Dragon Lee, SIlas Young, Eddie Edwards wouldnt age greatly or fit right in with the golden era. Theres no shortage of great matches between 2011 and 2021.
AnHonorableMention

indyfan wrote: Sat Apr 09, 2022 3:44 pm

lol

Rhett gets demolished by Suzuki and thats SBGs fault lol. Im not even a huge Titus fan, but i can't see how this new Era of ROH( that some fans think is closer to the golden era) has no spot for him.

i agree matches and characters age differently. I just dont see how guys like Adam Cole, Kyle Oreily, Mark Haskins, Tracy Williams, Gresham, Cobb, Woods, Elgin, Ciampa, Bandido, Rey Horus, Dragon Lee, SIlas Young, Eddie Edwards wouldnt age greatly or fit right in with the golden era. Theres no shortage of great matches between 2011 and 2021.
I'm not sure what's funny. The company drove its product by the best matches to sell dvds. That died with TV, as did we don't imitate, we innovate.

Where did I blame SBG for TK's booking? Re: Rhett v. Suzuki.

Some of those names would fit at the top of any era. Others, not a fuckin chance.
Captain Podcast
indyfan

Post by indyfan »

AnHonorableMention wrote: Sat Apr 09, 2022 5:12 pm
indyfan wrote: Sat Apr 09, 2022 3:44 pm

lol

I'm not sure what's funny. The company drove its product by the best matches to sell dvds. That died with TV, as did we don't imitate, we innovate.

Where did I blame SBG for TK's booking? Re: Rhett v. Suzuki.

Some of those names would fit at the top of any era. Others, not a fuckin chance.
You re keep my podcast out of your mouth comment was pretty funny.

Its not about if the talent i named are top talent in any era. the argument is theyd fit in any era anywhere on the card. And they absolutely would.

Theres lots and lots and lots of great matches between 2011 and 2021. its not even a debate.

DVDS were going extinct anyway.

I just dont get this Tony Kahn is going to give us golden era ROH...Its going to be a tv product. they arent selling dvds either.

You wrote:

"However, it's one show and a show forced upon TK by a bunch of goofs at SBG."

You re saying this in response to the booking of the show. Like Kahn had no choice. Rhetts jobbing out is all on Tony. Bucks jumping Briscoes(After potentially their last match after a near 20 year stint in ROH. They left in 2004 and comeback in 2006) to push a match on Dynamite is all Tony.

So i just dont see how TONY is giving a us a true golden era ROH product. id say 2012- 2017 was more true to the golden era.