SBG SELLS ROH TO TONY KHAN

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
BurningHammer

Re: SBG SELLS ROH TO TONY KHAN

Post by BurningHammer »

NewROHFan2020 wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 9:12 am
BurningHammer wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 7:04 am
NewROHFan2020 wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 6:12 am

ROH is dead. Whatever Tony does with it, it’s different now. It would be like buying 7Up and changing the formula. ROH was an entirely different promotion that a wrestler who couldn’t hang on or didn’t want WWE or AEW, could go and work.

At best it will be AEW Jr. The Wingmen will interfere in the ROH tag title match. Any “ROH” wrestler that gets hot, will go to AEW and any AEW wrestler that isn’t “over” will come down to ROH and beat up on “ROH” talent.

Maybe it won’t, but it won’t be in “competition” with WWE, AEW, and Impact, as it was before 2022.
The formula for ROH has changed multiple times under three different ownerships. Unless ROH is folded and never to return, then it’s not dead. There is far more of an option for ROH to be a strong alternative than before as the people behind it will likely (I hope) have a much stronger and engaging plan than what we had previously seen. Granted Delirious, Koff and others certainly found something as a company last year but ultimately it was too little to late, the next step for the company will hopefully be what last year or post pandemic should have been for the fans and company.

I can watch a company flow from one to another if it makes sense, and more importantly the wrestlers involved are of the highest calibre as are the matches. If we people from the nightmare factory or those heavily involved in Dark+ (whatever it’s called) then yes I agree it will be nothing more than a sham promotion, that should just be folded. I do get a sense from Khan that he would want to succeed where WWE failed, WCW could have succeeded in its own right with the right backing and sense of competition that became the furthest from WWE’s mind. Tony could think differently and he should.
ROH could be run as separate promotion, but it will never be greater than or equal to AEW. It will always be less than. WCW would have always been less than WWE. It might have better this or that, but as a whole, it would be less.
I wouldn’t expect it to greater, I wouldn’t have without the purchase, Sinclair, the office behind ROH didn’t have ability to take further than it was. ROH under proper stewardship could draw 3-5,000 crowds in my opinion on a regular basis with the right booking and talent. I don’t need ROH to be at AEW’s level I personally need it to be better, more coherent something I can enjoy without some sort of issue raising its ugly head or booking that I found to be pointless or seeing talent full more my hours that had no business too.
Chrisvegas27

Post by Chrisvegas27 »

Sean Ross said it's possible roh could film along side dark at universal studios and he see Samoa Joe being involved in roh future
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

https://twitter.com/Laviemarg/status/14 ... 5116962830

https://twitter.com/Laviemarg/status/14 ... NYXxhzplfw

https://twitter.com/Laviemarg/status/14 ... NYXxhzplfw
I haven't seen anything from the Sinclair Broadcasting side yet.

Has the name of "the company" that actually acquired ROH been listed anywhere?

Honestly, until I see a press release or a statement directly from Sinclair Broadcasting, I don't believe this ROH deal is officially signed.
dhads7161

Post by dhads7161 »

I truly do feel as if Khan wants to build ROH back up. We forget he is a mark and while he has to make business decisions at times his perspective with his product(s) come from being a fan who mingles on message boards which is honestly a perspective that's been needed on the business end in wrestling for a long time. Let's not forget dude was an ROHBot, he's not someone who ONLY sees money in this, it's got an attachment to him as a product that brought him a lot.of.joy at one time, I'm sure he wants to use his resources to build ROH up to where it can bring joy to the fans again.
Montana

Post by Montana »

dhads7161 wrote: Sat Mar 05, 2022 2:53 am I truly do feel as if Khan wants to build ROH back up. We forget he is a mark and while he has to make business decisions at times his perspective with his product(s) come from being a fan who mingles on message boards which is honestly a perspective that's been needed on the business end in wrestling for a long time. Let's not forget dude was an ROHBot, he's not someone who ONLY sees money in this, it's got an attachment to him as a product that brought him a lot.of.joy at one time, I'm sure he wants to use his resources to build ROH up to where it can bring joy to the fans again.
We may find out sooner than later... It's safe to say; Supercard needed a boost; and some names announced. Assuming they proceed with the show; we'll see how much TK stacks up the show. He could basically make the show as good as he wants it to be. ROH vs. AEW; or like a ROH legends night/ or past vs. Present. Would not be hard to put on a banger card; and get a ton of ROH Buzz going again. (IF that what he wants to do)

I gotta say; I do hope Tony Deppen is involved with ROH moving fast as well.
tigermask7.0

Post by tigermask7.0 »

Ring of Honor might be best served being "rebuilt" as a startup promotion that initially serves the Mid-Atlantic region (Boston-NYC-Philly-Baltimore).

As a counterpoint to GCW, with ROH being a more traditional prowrestling organization. They may be enough of a draw the Northeast/Mid-Atlantic area to fill venues for TV tapings.

To be original ... go back to the origin.
It's not easy being the Greatest 7th generation wrestler Of All Time!
Chrisvegas27

Post by Chrisvegas27 »

Tony khan said on the ppv scrum is roh will continue operations and he has big plans for roh including tv distribution merchandise and more
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

Chrisvegas27 wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 10:14 pm Tony khan said on the ppv scrum is roh will continue operations and he has big plans for roh including tv distribution merchandise and more
Great news
Chrisvegas27

Post by Chrisvegas27 »

Says he will use his resources to take roh to places other can't and wants to keep the brand true to what roh is
Chrisvegas27

Post by Chrisvegas27 »

Tony will be the booker of roh going forward and strongly hinted at roh being like development along with possible roh airing on one of their media partners meaning Warner media
BurningHammer

Post by BurningHammer »

Hopefully that means a lot details like red trim to the ring, will come back. Better signature music would really help, instead of the usual catalogue that was available to most under Sinclair. The line about younger talent hopefully is in line more with Garcia, Moriarty etc than green guys that need years of reps like we have seen for a while in ROH. I do think having the Lucha guys within ROH that I think we have all really enjoyed would help a lot to separate the two just enough. ROH maybe used for relationships like Noah and Impact too which necessarily won’t be a bad thing.

Although it might be overkill, Khan booking seems the best approach overall if both companies are going to flow from one to the other. It will hopefully mean there very much is a clear approach at all levels which has been missing from ROH for so long.

I’m happy to know ROH will continue with someone that understands wrestling old and new as a whole.
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

hope a lot of roh guys can come back in the long road.
Montana

Post by Montana »

Interesting news that TK plans on keeping ROH going with different distribution; and he'll be the booker. I'm curious to know what TK's version of ROH will look like. I hope they don't sway too far away from their normal concept; but I think TK is a smart guy and think this should only help. Creating two unique / distinct brands could be really interesting.

Patiently waiting for some more supercard news; and hopefully some key ROH contributors are brought in. (Interesting Regal and Swerve were announced as "all elite") Not sure if it means much; but seems like two guys that would certainly benefit with a new brand/promotion.
Zhuge1

Post by Zhuge1 »

It'll be interesting to see at what point the current episodes stop airing on Sinclair owned channels.
KL_

Post by KL_ »

From sescoops.com:

SEScoops has learned Ring of Honor execs expect the deal with Tony Khan to close around the first week of April. It could be finalized sooner than that, but that is the timeframe they are working with.

There is a feeling that the deal went “in reverse” and “backwards” because it came together quickly and now a lot of details are being hammered out.

Trusted sources say ROH employees were told the company doesn’t get the impression the ‘new regime’ is interested in hiring them after the sale goes through. Staff has been encouraged to explore new career opportunities, including speaking to Sinclair Broadcast Group’s HR department about transferring elsewhere in the company. Severance packages are being considered but nothing is decided on yet.

Management is still unsure if they will issue a statement to let fans know that a new team will be bringing them the product they’ve followed for years.

The HonorClub streaming service is in limbo. ROH has a call scheduled with AEW to review the technical setup behind HonorClub and determine if that asset will be included as part of the sale. Otherwise, ROH will have to “unwind” everything related to that service. Subscribers will be notified of changes to the service and where they can get video content going forward at some point.

The general message to ROH staff has been described to us as, “We’re fighting for you and exploring how to help everyone. If you want to stay in the wrestling business, we’re doing our best, but there is no formal transition planned and no guarantee that anybody will stay on.”
BurningHammer

Post by BurningHammer »

Zayne, the videographer and person who I felt was behind much of the better parts of the product, really should be kept on as he more than proved skilful and of a high level.

The rest, from social media, live action camera work, booking and the other sides of the product certainly need to be changed.

I do hope Ian, Caprice and Brian Zane are kept on in there on camera roles as they would provide a sense of continuity of the product before but also be of enough quality for any product moving forward. That being said I could totally understand if Khan decided to bring back a certain duo from the past as a call back to what others loved about an older ROH.

Hopefully much of this can be sorted before April 1st and the show can have a definite direction for going forward.

Another part of the information coming out about Supercard of Honor, is that one the Briscoes aren’t currently locked in for the event.
tigermask7.0

Post by tigermask7.0 »

It would make sense to lock in certain people in operations & production currently employed by Sinclair/RingOfHonor. 6-18 month contracts to help transition the organization to its new style.

This would help keep ROH a separate league than AEW until Ring Of Honor finds its place in the wrestling space.

Also thinking the dojo training system & affiliations may be key for keeping AEW & ROH as different properties. Help create distinctive styles.
It's not easy being the Greatest 7th generation wrestler Of All Time!
Shanahan

Post by Shanahan »

Tony is gonna fire everyone and it will be a big mistake.
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

BurningHammer

Post by BurningHammer »

Shanahan wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 2:48 pm Tony is gonna fire everyone and it will be a big mistake.
Why?

What has made anyone who has been responsible for running ROH and delivering the product irreplaceable.