SBG SELLS ROH TO TONY KHAN

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
monster mafia

Re: SBG SELLS ROH TO TONY KHAN

Post by monster mafia »

Per Fightful, AEW has no plans to sign the Briscoe Brothers and there are no plans to have the Briscoe's vs FTR.

So sadly we can put the squash on those two things happening anytime soon.
Shanahan

Post by Shanahan »

BurningHammer wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 5:49 am
Shanahan wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 2:48 pm Tony is gonna fire everyone and it will be a big mistake.
Why?

What has made anyone who has been responsible for running ROH and delivering the product irreplaceable.
Roh has a strong structure of behind scenes people who have no role in booking the company....those people are skilled and sometimes really hard to find. They know how to produce wrestling
Shanahan

Post by Shanahan »

monster mafia wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 9:49 am Per Fightful, AEW has no plans to sign the Briscoe Brothers and there are no plans to have the Briscoe's vs FTR.

Remember only certain types of people are allowed to apologize and move on from controversial stuff.
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

Speculation:

A substantial chunk of those in AEW don't want the Briscoes (particularly) Jay around. WarnerMedia also isn't as politically conservative as SBG.

Although Riccaboni has vouched for the Briscoes, they haven't done enough publicly to atone perhaps. The same can be said in the past month about Brian Kendrick after his past comments about Jews came to the surface.

As AEW is an important time of seeking revenue stream growth, perhaps staying away from those with past outrageous statements about homosexuals and Jews is the most sane decision to make about the Briscoes and Kendrick... who also don't have the upside of being in their 20s like Sammy Guevara was at the time of his rape comments resurfacing. In mentioning Guevara, he also very expeditiously shifted his attitude from being defensive to publicly acknowledging how concerning his vocabulary was about Sasha Banks.
indyfan

Post by indyfan »

Well that just sucked any excitement i had about ROH being bought by Kahn.

time to rewatch 2002 until 2021
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

Tony Khan's first show as Ring of Honor booker will be at Supercard of Honor XV.

Speaking on Wrestling Observer Live, Dave Meltzer noted that Khan will be handling creative for the company's return show on April 1 from Dallas, Texas.

"They did the sale as quick as they could and now they're trying to figure out exactly what they're going to do," Meltzer said. "The key is Tony Khan is going to be booking a show on April 1, which isn't very far away and we don't have a lineup. It's going to be very tricky to put together a lineup. I would presume that there will be a bunch of AEW guys on the show just because there's nobody, as in zero, people under Ring of Honor contract."

Meltzer also commented on plans for the pay-per-view in the latest edition of the Wrestling Observer Newsletter.

"All plans previous are off and Khan will be handling the creative, but they are not looking at starting from scratch and eliminating champions and such or killing prior storylines," Meltzer wrote.

It is believed that ROH World Champion Jonathan Gresham vs. Bandido will still headline the show but that's something the AEW president would have to sign off on.

It was also noted in the newsletter that ROH employees are expecting to be laid off by Sinclair imminently.
Shanahan

Post by Shanahan »

ROH--DARK!!
indyfan

Post by indyfan »

i read a guy call it

Ring of Kahner
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

indyfan wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 2:16 pm Well that just sucked any excitement i had about ROH being bought by Kahn.

time to rewatch 2002 until 2021
same here.
NewROHFan2020

Post by NewROHFan2020 »

Shanahan wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 11:58 am
monster mafia wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 9:49 am Per Fightful, AEW has no plans to sign the Briscoe Brothers and there are no plans to have the Briscoe's vs FTR.

Remember only certain types of people are allowed to apologize and move on from controversial stuff.
A lot of this group is also against Moose, Rich Swann, and Marty Scurll for stuff they were never convicted of. Let’s forgive the Briscoes, but we’ll hold grudges against others because of internet reports and non-convictions or even charges against them!

ROH! ROH! ROH!
Reaper G

Post by Reaper G »

supersonic wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 1:10 pm Speculation:

A substantial chunk of those in AEW don't want the Briscoes (particularly) Jay around. WarnerMedia also isn't as politically conservative as SBG.

Although Riccaboni has vouched for the Briscoes, they haven't done enough publicly to atone perhaps. The same can be said in the past month about Brian Kendrick after his past comments about Jews came to the surface.

As AEW is an important time of seeking revenue stream growth, perhaps staying away from those with past outrageous statements about homosexuals and Jews is the most sane decision to make about the Briscoes and Kendrick... who also don't have the upside of being in their 20s like Sammy Guevara was at the time of his rape comments resurfacing. In mentioning Guevara, he also very expeditiously shifted his attitude from being defensive to publicly acknowledging how concerning his vocabulary was about Sasha Banks.
Jay and Kendrick tweeted those dumb things a decade ago, but let's continue to hold those over their heads. To the Death Camp of Tolerance with them!
BurningHammer

Post by BurningHammer »

Shanahan wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 11:56 am
BurningHammer wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 5:49 am
Shanahan wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 2:48 pm Tony is gonna fire everyone and it will be a big mistake.
Why?

What has made anyone who has been responsible for running ROH and delivering the product irreplaceable.
Roh has a strong structure of behind scenes people who have no role in booking the company....those people are skilled and sometimes really hard to find. They know how to produce wrestling
And what Tony Khan doesn’t?, I would say he has more resources at his disposal, especially if Warner Media is behind the purchase to be able to handle any production for Supercard and going forward. You also have to remember a lot of guys and women that were part of the ROH structure previously are in AEW now. I would also as guess that working for Khan is an attractive option so others maybe offering their services to be apart of the project. There will obviously have to be a separate crew as logistically it would likely prove difficult to continue let use the same crew across two companies. I could see there being teething problems at the start but eventually working themselves over time.

Personally there are quite a few guys in AEW that I would more than be happy to see take on the Briscoes at Supercard, I mean jeez you’ve got the Hardy’s right there. As a draw, that would be big enough. I would be happy enough with Top flight and them winning too.

The main issue is sorting talent for the show and going forward. Will there be contracts, you would presume there would be in the long term offers made. Interesting to note that seemingly Khan is happy with the champions currently and isn’t seemingly going to rip up the script that is being written so far, I am curious to see what the Pure, Three man, TV, and Tag champions will look after Supercard but also once Khan gets a full grasp and handle on things.

Will be interesting to see if any of the rebranding is kept, if Khan does want to create his own set, logo, ring etc then it could be sometime from SOH to the set of tapings. I would say tgere is no real rush personally.
BurningHammer

Post by BurningHammer »

Just on the Briscoes as much as they’ve repented and I’m sure there feelings attitudes have changed in any regard there look, style on screen attitude does carry a weight that people may associate with certain beliefs. I would say over Warner have been very loose with AEW in terms of creative freedom so if they feel it’s a sticking point, it must be a pretty important issue to someone.
AnHonorableMention

Post by AnHonorableMention »

Never want to see anyone lose a job but cleaning house is essential. There's a ton of disdain from all sides both ways. No need for that when ownership and management will actually give a shit now.
Shanahan wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 11:58 am

The type of people that use words to apologize and follow it with actions.
Captain Podcast
AnHonorableMention

I love Jay & Mark but this is not an issue I'm even going to get into. It's unfortunate but understandable. I for one am glad to see AEW and Warner Media standing behind their policy as opposed to picking and choosing who to hire and not.
Captain Podcast
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

Reaper G wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 7:51 pm

Jay and Kendrick tweeted those dumb things a decade ago, but let's continue to hold those over their heads. To the Death Camp of Tolerance with them!
I’ve seen more effort from Michael Vick to be a pit bull advocate (although I’ve seen evidence that it’s just PR) than I’ve seen Jay of being an LGBTQ ally.

Kendrick falls into the Hogan category (who Khan has made it clear will never be in AEW) of opting to not fully own the severity his shit and try to be a solution to combating racism.

Maybe these guys should learn about the story of Saul becoming Paul if they wanna have a fully convincing turnaround.
indyfan

Post by indyfan »

supersonic wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 9:35 pm

I’ve seen more effort from Michael Vick to be a pit bull advocate (although I’ve seen evidence that it’s just PR) than I’ve seen Jay of being an LGBTQ ally.

Kendrick falls into the Hogan category (who Khan has made it clear will never be in AEW) of opting to not fully own the severity his shit and try to be a solution to combating racism.

Maybe these guys should learn about the story of Saul becoming Paul if they wanna have a fully convincing turnaround.
Wait....you must become an ally to wash away your verbal or written sins?
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

For that kind of shit happening well into adult years - yeah. This ain’t Ryan Braun being young and dumb.

Good grief, if social media was around 30 years ago, I wonder how many would be playing devil’s advocate for Bill Watts. How many 20 years ago would be also for those outed as racists in the WCW lawsuits.
AnHonorableMention

indyfan wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 8:26 am
supersonic wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 9:35 pm

Wait....you must become an ally to wash away your verbal or written sins?
I don't know who Saul is or Paul. But at this point in life if you're still clinging on to this nonsense of not everyone has the right to be happy be it marrying a man or a woman or a man who used to be a woman or a woman who used to be a man. Everyone has the right to be happy and healthy in their own shoes and if you can't support that you don't belong in society or have the right to work in a privileged job.
Captain Podcast
indyfan

Post by indyfan »

i can understand your frustration with people who still cling to these ridiculous views but mob rule shouldnt dictate who belongs in society or not.

The best way to help people grow out of shitty views is to get them to empathize with the people they look down on.

Trying to ostracize them from the rest of society could lead their views into action. And nobody wants that.