SBG SELLS ROH TO TONY KHAN

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
Chrisvegas27

Re: SBG SELLS ROH TO TONY KHAN

Post by Chrisvegas27 »

The news of ROH’s purchase began to make it rounds last night, with the initial circle being very small. Not much was known about the specific details regarding Tony Khan’s purchase of ROH, however one source had stated to me that he heard it was in the $30-$40 million range, but I was unable to confirm that information with any other sources within either AEW or ROH.

When asking around about the sale of ROH and plans for the company going forward, sources confirmed to me that internal plans call for AEW to utilize Ring of Honor as a developmental territory of sorts. Additionally, it was said that “Main Roster” AEW Talent will be dipping into the ROH brand on occasion.

I will keep you updated when more information about Tony Khan’s purchase of Ring of Honor becomes available credit goes to bodyslam
Shanahan

Post by Shanahan »

This is really the best thing for ROH going forward. Since WWE won't be signing most indie guys we will get to see them grow up in ROH. Plus we can get something like Gresham vs Danielson at Best in the World.
AnHonorableMention

Post by AnHonorableMention »

Chrisvegas27 wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 6:56 pm The news of ROH’s purchase began to make it rounds last night, with the initial circle being very small. Not much was known about the specific details regarding Tony Khan’s purchase of ROH, however one source had stated to me that he heard it was in the $30-$40 million range, but I was unable to confirm that information with any other sources within either AEW or ROH.

When asking around about the sale of ROH and plans for the company going forward, sources confirmed to me that internal plans call for AEW to utilize Ring of Honor as a developmental territory of sorts. Additionally, it was said that “Main Roster” AEW Talent will be dipping into the ROH brand on occasion.

I will keep you updated when more information about Tony Khan’s purchase of Ring of Honor becomes available credit goes to bodyslam
1. This is paraphrasing Sean Ross Sapp.

2. That number is not what the asking price was last fall.
Captain Podcast
BurningHammer

Post by BurningHammer »

My worst fear for ROH generally in this situation is where ROH becomes a developmental. Where the likes of Kip Sabina, Fuego, Serpentico are allowed to run free without remorse and that is it a nothing more than a housing area for talent that really shouldn’t be in either company.

If in anyway ROH is to succeed again it has to be its own company or with at least a sense of the self that made it great. If it’s going to be company where the likes of Garcia can transition from lower card to upper by being a champ or creating a firmer legacy that will help him in AEW then no problem. If it focuses on something else then we are literally where we with Sinclair ownership.

The interesting points for me are who will be booking going forward, presuming it will be a functioning wrestling promotion. What talents will be placed in ROH and can there be a strong Lucha feel to it still. Will there be a better TV time, channel etc to watch it world wide.
Montana

Post by Montana »

Great to see and hear the news. Can’t wait for more details. Hopefully some original roster members get new contracts.

So FTR to Supercard right?? Supercard sells out super fast now right? Ian to AEW/ROH right?!?

I assume either HBO Max or AEW stand alone streaming service isn’t far away.

Not sure who would think this is a bad thing.
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

Something that could have implications:

Tony Khan is now officially piggybacking off of WrestleMania, and to that say it's welcome, as I view the other Khan sticking MITB on July 4 weekend in Vegas as a predatory move to make traveling fans have to pick between which holiday weekend show in Vegas they'd rather vacation for.
AnHonorableMention

Post by AnHonorableMention »

Montana wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 8:13 pm Great to see and hear the news. Can’t wait for more details. Hopefully some original roster members get new contracts.

So FTR to Supercard right?? Supercard sells out super fast now right? Ian to AEW/ROH right?!?

As of law check they've sold between 450 and 600 tickets in a 6800 seat building. Sell out is not happening. Quite frankly I don't even know if the show is.
Captain Podcast
Shanahan

Post by Shanahan »

BurningHammer wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 8:12 pm My worst fear for ROH generally in this situation is where ROH becomes a developmental. Where the likes of Kip Sabina, Fuego, Serpentico are allowed to run free without remorse and that is it a nothing more than a housing area for talent that really shouldn’t be in either company.

If in anyway ROH is to succeed again it has to be its own company or with at least a sense of the self that made it great. If it’s going to be company where the likes of Garcia can transition from lower card to upper by being a champ or creating a firmer legacy that will help him in AEW then no problem. If it focuses on something else then we are literally where we with Sinclair ownership.

The interesting points for me are who will be booking going forward, presuming it will be a functioning wrestling promotion. What talents will be placed in ROH and can there be a strong Lucha feel to it still. Will there be a better TV time, channel etc to watch it world wide.
I actually think it’s gonna be 80% of 2020 roster mixed in with younger Indy guys like Blake Christian & vets like Henry/Drake.
BurningHammer

Post by BurningHammer »

Shanahan wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 10:18 pm
BurningHammer wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 8:12 pm My worst fear for ROH generally in this situation is where ROH becomes a developmental. Where the likes of Kip Sabina, Fuego, Serpentico are allowed to run free without remorse and that is it a nothing more than a housing area for talent that really shouldn’t be in either company.

I actually think it’s gonna be 80% of 2020 roster mixed in with younger Indy guys like Blake Christian & vets like Henry/Drake.
Yeah it will be interesting to see what ROH will be made up of, in all honesty there is far more of the AEW roster I want to see than there had been of the total ROH roster previously. I hope Khan (who apparently is meant to be a traditionalist, and has a great grasp of wrestling history) utilise ROH in the best way possible and that starts with its roster. There are many that I just have no interest in seeing anymore, from a personal level and just as there level of wrestlers.

If you want it to be a fresh start then there should only be a very select few that start with the new project.

Just to say the building may hold 6,500, ROH currently is set up for about half that if that. Ticket wise they look to have sold half of their current allocation.
Chrisvegas27

Post by Chrisvegas27 »

There already free agents wanting a job with the new roh since Tony bought it
KL_

Post by KL_ »

I believe it's a good news for Ring of Honor.
Do you think it will bring some changes in ROH head booking positions?

Here's a comment from Cary Silkin:
"Congratulations to Tony Khan on his purchase of Ring of Honor Wrestling. At least I know my baby is in good hands. What a long strange trip it’s been as we move forward!"
dhads7161

Post by dhads7161 »

Has Shane Strickland actually been announced on any AEW social as being "All Elite"? Rumors that Khan signed him in the last few weeks. Strickland is confirmed for a match on Supercard makes me think Kahn signed him but he was signed for ROH.
dhads7161

Post by dhads7161 »

Khan should offer Jay and Mark similar jobs of influence in ROH as The Elite have in AEW.
ICHIFUJI

Post by ICHIFUJI »

Owned by TV company sold to TBS broadcasting promotion is huge surprise.
Montana

Post by Montana »

[youtube][/youtube]
AnHonorableMention wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 9:13 pm
Montana wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 8:13 pm Great to see and hear the news. Can’t wait for more details. Hopefully some original roster members get new contracts.

As of law check they've sold between 450 and 600 tickets in a 6800 seat building. Sell out is not happening. Quite frankly I don't even know if the show is.
I gotta think some AEW talent gets added to the card at this point. Which is probably why we’ve heard a lack of information leading up. Add a couple big names, matches and would imagine tickets would sell pretty quickly.
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

Joe Joe Joe Joe.
Chrisvegas27

Post by Chrisvegas27 »

Most talent is happy but other fan bases are saying roh is officially dead while others are saying roh library wasn't worth the money
indyfan

Post by indyfan »

Chrisvegas27 wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 8:10 am Most talent is happy but other fan bases are saying roh is officially dead while others are saying roh library wasn't worth the money
Yeah i read that too but who cares what the negative fans think. if the new version is good...theyll be back
NewROHFan2020

Post by NewROHFan2020 »

DougN wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 5:44 pm Yeah, I know we all go back and forth about AEW on this forum, but who in the hell would prefer Vince buys ROH over Tony Khan?
The only reason you would want Vince to own ROH is for the library and the ability to produce videos with ROH footage.
DougN

Post by DougN »

Even in that scenario, I think most fans would still want Tony to own the footage. Someone who actually understands the legacy and respects it.
I've got over 400 ROH DVDs for sale from 2002 to 2018! Let me know if you are looking for any! Can ship anywhere in the world.