underrated acts, segments, wrestlers etc from ROHs past

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
indyfan

underrated acts, segments, wrestlers etc from ROHs past

Post by indyfan »

So ive been rewatching some years i only watched once( 2011 to present for example). i like to catalogue my thoughts. kind of like BRM and Mxcal. but more for me personally . Its been a long time since i watched 2011....

i will say this....Christopher Daniels in House of Truth was pure gold in 2011. im not just watching the shows but also promos and video wires from youtube. Daniels and Truth Martini are gold on the mic. House of Truth is the best part of 2011 imo. super underrated.

Any other under rated wrestlers, acts, promos, matches from 2002 until now .....
Montana

Re: underrated acts, segments, wrestlers etc from ROHs past

Post by Montana »

I've been watching some 2007 shows; and Sweet and Sour Larry Sweeney stuff was so great. It's a shame he passed at such a young age. He could have been a huge star in the business.

Another one; that comes to mind; was Brent Albright. Seemed like he was a great fit for ROH; and started gaining some momentum and it just didn't really pan out. Had a solid run; but i'd say he was pretty under rated.
DougN

Post by DougN »

I always enjoyed Brent Albright.

Alex Shelley gets a lot of praise and got a compilation, but I still think he's underrated.
I've got over 400 ROH DVDs for sale from 2002 to 2018! Let me know if you are looking for any! Can ship anywhere in the world.
maxx_powerz

Post by maxx_powerz »

I'm probably the only person stanning for Jason Blade in the world. But having seen a lot of his 07-08 FIP stuff with Kenny King, he should have been in ANX instead of Rhett and if he had been allowed to develop a character while being protected in a tag team, he could have had a career trajectory like Eddie Edwards or Bobby Fish.
DougN

Post by DougN »

Nah, I enjoyed Jason Blade in 2006. Was surprised he never moved up the card.
I've got over 400 ROH DVDs for sale from 2002 to 2018! Let me know if you are looking for any! Can ship anywhere in the world.
Wavelet Transform

Post by Wavelet Transform »

A few of my favorite funny segments:

Good Times, Great Memories from Manhattan Mayhem I. My all-time favorite comedy segment in ROH and one I never see anyone else mention. Colt's interaction with the "he has a very British-sounding name" guy is the best.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_HHRfeaj-4 - "take your hat off first". Admittedly, not the best way to make your tag titles seem important, but this still makes me laugh.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_uUZ1S_ICCM - So bad, it's funny. Koff scolding Haas like a dog and that punch.

Underrated acts/wrestlers:

Erick Stevens. Overpushed at the start of '08, but he had a number of great matches in ROH and not just w/ Roddy (the Morishima match from Detroit in 07 is highly underrated).

Vulture Squad. Great concept, poor execution. Their matches were always fun though.

Murder City Machine Guns 2007-2011. The Good Times, Great Memories match is fondly remembered, but they had a match of the year contender every time they came to ROH during this period. AotF, Steenerico, 2nd match w/ the Briscoes, and the way under-appreciated match w/ TeamWork from "Fueling the Fire". Some very funny cocky douche promos too.
Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine »

DougN wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 5:49 pm Nah, I enjoyed Jason Blade in 2006. Was surprised he never moved up the card.
I enjoyed him as well. I figured there was something in at least a break-up angle with him and Eddie after Eddie joined SnS just to give Eddie an establishing singles win, but they never did anythig with it.
indyfan

Post by indyfan »

Props to those showing love to Blade. Guy was pretty good.

im huge fan of Brent Albright and he fit in well with ROH. i always loved that segment where he was pissed off with Sweet and Sour( he was part of the faction at this point) and Sweeneys like dont worry were going to get steaks. And he was all like ok yeah steaks. lol

MCMG were amazing as soon as they stepped into ROH. I agree their once and a while offerrings were always great stuff

Another guy i always enjoyed was Fast Eddie Vegas. He was great in the Embassy and his little tag team and feud with Sydal was great for the 2 or 3 shows it was featured.

And im going to say it....

i loved Carnage Crew. Their lowcard feud with Special K produced great segments and promos. especially the one at the end of 2nd Anniversary show.
EvanKnight

Post by EvanKnight »

Brent Albright should have had a much better run than he did. I think he had the ex-WWE guy problem, like Miro did I AEW where you’re damned if you do, damned if you don’t when it come to the initial push. The Gun for Hire wasn’t the right packaging for him, and then Hamgmen 3 tanked him.

My first thoughts when I hear underrated was Trent Acid and Jamie Noble. The got some buzz at the time, but when people look back historically they aren’t nearly as often mentioned as some.

Carnage Crew is a good call because they were a vital piece of the puzzle back then.
DougN

Post by DougN »

Jamie Noble is a GREAT answer. I remember people shitting on him being a transitional champ in 2005 -- a lot of people thought Daniels should have won the belt. But I think Noble was great and really had some solid bangers.
Big Red Machine

I, too, greatly enjoyed Albright, although from the veiled comments that Adam Pearce has made (in his RF Video shoot), it seems like getting out of the wrestling business was the right thing for Albright to do for his own good.
DougN

Post by DougN »

Oh, what was said? I don't think I ever heard that.
Big Red Machine

DougN wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 6:51 am Oh, what was said? I don't think I ever heard that.
It was very vague, but it made it clear that there was some sort of either mental health issue or substance abuse issue or family issue that required him to not wrestle anymore. I think Pearce's exact statement was "I'm very proud of Brent for making the choices he needed to make" or something like that.
AnHonorableMention

Post by AnHonorableMention »

Big Red Machine wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 10:12 am
DougN wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 6:51 am Oh, what was said? I don't think I ever heard that.
It was very vague, but it made it clear that there was some sort of either mental health issue or substance abuse issue or family issue that required him to not wrestle anymore. I think Pearce's exact statement was "I'm very proud of Brent for making the choices he needed to make" or something like that.
It's not my place to specifically say what the issue was but Brent was not in a good place the last year of his career. His family needed to come first and at the same time so did his own health. Albright was always good to me but he was not well liked by his peers in some cases earning the name Captain Safety for his propensity to hurt people he worked with. Hopefully he's found his post wrestling life to be fulfilling.
Captain Podcast