Supercard Of Honor 2022 - April 1st - Discussion

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
DougN

Re: Supercard Of Honor 2022 - April 1st - Discussion

Post by DougN »

NewROHFan2020 wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 2:46 pm
DougN wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 2:21 pm I'll split the difference. I really don't think there are 40k subscribers to Honor Club, but I think I could see a scenario with 20k.

But on the flip side, no way is $5 million a year enough to cover expenses for Ring Of Honor. Absolutely no way.
I did not say it would cover their expenses. Only that you could hire 96 people at 50k a year. I really doubt most of the wrestlers were making that much either. Eli Eysom, Dak Draper, and others, probably weren’t making 50k. If they were making $400,000 a month on streaming, that’s pretty significant. That’s why they had nowhere close to 40k subscribers. Be lucky to hit 5 figures during months when they had shows. ROH gave most people no reason to keep HC when there were no shows happening.
I highly, highly doubt anyone "signed" to a ROH contract was making less than $40,000, but I also don't remember how much the women were making in that lawsuit. Does anyone remember that figure?
I've got over 400 ROH DVDs for sale from 2002 to 2018! Let me know if you are looking for any! Can ship anywhere in the world.
AnHonorableMention

Post by AnHonorableMention »

30 to 40 million LOLOLOLOLOLOL.
Captain Podcast
Montana

Post by Montana »

AnHonorableMention wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 7:31 pm 30 to 40 million LOLOLOLOLOLOL.
https://www.ringsidenews.com/2022/03/02 ... n-for-roh/

https://www.reddit.com/r/SquaredCircle/ ... _is_still/

Care to add some context to LOLOL
NewROHFan2020

Post by NewROHFan2020 »

Montana wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 11:39 am
AnHonorableMention wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 7:31 pm 30 to 40 million LOLOLOLOLOLOL.

Lol, yeah I was like, we’re talking about 40k to 400k.
AnHonorableMention

The asking price from someone directly involved with AEW was 18-21 mil, it probably dipped in half without talent you owed money to and probably got negotiated down from there because Greg the office boy is an idiot.
Captain Podcast
Captain_44

Post by Captain_44 »

There's no way Tony paid 30-40 million for ROH when they had no talent under contract. When Vince only paid 3 million for WCW.
Montana

Post by Montana »

AnHonorableMention wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 5:22 pm

The asking price from someone directly involved with AEW was 18-21 mil, it probably dipped in half without talent you owed money to and probably got negotiated down from there because Greg the office boy is an idiot.
While i don't disagree; the rumored prices being reported were 30-40 & 20-50M after the hiatus with no talent under contract. So not sure what would change in say FEB when a majority of all contracts were near expiration. I was just passing along what was reported. I assume those numbers were the asking price; and completely agree negotiated down. I'd imagine lackluster sales to supercard off the pre-sale accelerated their desire to sell.

As for your person... maybe thats accurate. Seems like quite a dip from the original numbers; but maybe it was a fire sale. Between the lawsuits , lack of popularity and momentum. It was surprising Tony / AEW bought the IP/equipment along with the library.

My gut feeling was the deal over probably over 10M when the dust settles; but wouldn't be that surprised if it's less. I'm sure they spent north of 10M keeping ROH afloat in 2020 &2021, with very little in return. They still owned the content to live on their hundreds of networks, streaming service, etc. They even redesigned their logo/made shirt for the relaunch, so i doubt they "gave" away the company, IP, Tape Library, website, streaming platform, production equipment etc for less than 10M>

Guess we'll just have to wait and see if they ever make an official statement on the sale.
AnHonorableMention

Montana wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 6:44 pm
AnHonorableMention wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 5:22 pm
While i don't disagree; the rumored prices being reported were 30-40 & 20-50M after the hiatus with no talent under contract. So not sure what would change in say FEB when a majority of all contracts were near expiration. I was just passing along what was reported. I assume those numbers were the asking price; and completely agree negotiated down. I'd imagine lackluster sales to supercard off the pre-sale accelerated their desire to sell.

As for your person... maybe thats accurate. Seems like quite a dip from the original numbers; but maybe it was a fire sale. Between the lawsuits , lack of popularity and momentum. It was surprising Tony / AEW bought the IP/equipment along with the library.

My gut feeling was the deal over probably over 10M when the dust settles; but wouldn't be that surprised if it's less. I'm sure they spent north of 10M keeping ROH afloat in 2020 &2021, with very little in return. They still owned the content to live on their hundreds of networks, streaming service, etc. They even redesigned their logo/made shirt for the relaunch, so i doubt they "gave" away the company, IP, Tape Library, website, streaming platform, production equipment etc for less than 10M>

Guess we'll just have to wait and see if they ever make an official statement on the sale.
"Rumored" I read it on the internet it must be legit. The company never made money. There was I think 1 show that made money during Cary's ownership, zero with pedo feinslime. They asked for 18 million in September of 2018 from WWE. It was all downhill from there.

Sinclair took a major financial hit on the RSN's. They're lucky they didn't file complete bankruptcy.
Captain Podcast
AnHonorableMention

DougN wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 6:47 pm
NewROHFan2020 wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 2:46 pm
DougN wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 2:21 pm I'll split the difference. I really don't think there are 40k subscribers to Honor Club, but I think I could see a scenario with 20k.

But on the flip side, no way is $5 million a year enough to cover expenses for Ring Of Honor. Absolutely no way.
I did not say it would cover their expenses. Only that you could hire 96 people at 50k a year. I really doubt most of the wrestlers were making that much either. Eli Eysom, Dak Draper, and others, probably weren’t making 50k. If they were making $400,000 a month on streaming, that’s pretty significant. That’s why they had nowhere close to 40k subscribers. Be lucky to hit 5 figures during months when they had shows. ROH gave most people no reason to keep HC when there were no shows happening.
I highly, highly doubt anyone "signed" to a ROH contract was making less than $40,000, but I also don't remember how much the women were making in that lawsuit. Does anyone remember that figure?
Captain Podcast
DougN

Post by DougN »

Good lord that's absurd.
I've got over 400 ROH DVDs for sale from 2002 to 2018! Let me know if you are looking for any! Can ship anywhere in the world.
NewROHFan2020

Post by NewROHFan2020 »

DougN wrote: Sat Apr 09, 2022 5:08 pm Good lord that's absurd.
How many dates did she work? What expenses did she have to pay out of pocket?
DougN

Post by DougN »

Totally fair questions. No clue.
AnHonorableMention

NewROHFan2020 wrote: Sun Apr 10, 2022 8:55 am
According to the filings, in the Stephen P New lawsuit, she asked for 18K and trans/hotel the latter of which is part of the standard ROH contracts of the SBG era and was normal in the Cary era as well.
Captain Podcast
NewROHFan2020

Post by NewROHFan2020 »

AnHonorableMention wrote: Sun Apr 10, 2022 5:44 pm
According to the filings, in the Stephen P New lawsuit, she asked for 18K and trans/hotel the latter of which is part of the standard ROH contracts of the SBG era and was normal in the Cary era as well.
How many dates though? $15,000 is nothing if you’re working 40 hours a week. However, if you’re a wrestler, wrestling 25 times a year, $15,000 is pretty “good”.
DougN

Post by DougN »

I get it, but I do think being "under contract" for 15k is troublesome. If she was a freelancer, it would be one thing. But let's say she signed a contract in January for $15,000 at X dates a year. That's not enough to live on so she gets a second job M-T to supplement her income, knowing that ROH sometimes runs Friday, Saturday, or Sunday. Well then, let's say that ROH springs on her that they're going to do a Thursday show in a few months. And then her job does not give her that Thursday off. It's just a slippery slope for being contracted talent. And you might retort with "well, she didn't have to sign the contract," but it is guaranteed money and it is a way to raise your profile if this is what you want to be doing.

I didn't even get into the fact that being a contracted talent with ROH means that they can make you turn down specific indy dates if they want to, and not just on days they're also running shows. This was a whole big issue with TNA in the mid-2000s -- the lower card guys were getting paid dick and the office was controlling their dates.
AnHonorableMention

NewROHFan2020 wrote: Sun Apr 10, 2022 6:26 pm

How many dates though? $15,000 is nothing if you’re working 40 hours a week. However, if you’re a wrestler, wrestling 25 times a year, $15,000 is pretty “good”.
She was on every show. So however many they ran for whatever year that was (2018? 2019?) Covid Calendar times all a blur. Think about it like this, let's say she has 30 matches a year and is paid 15K. That's $500 a match. That means she's also gotta train, go to practice, maintain a specific diet, that's way more than 40 hours a week. I don't think the majority of fans know how hard these people work because all they actually see is on social media.
Captain Podcast
NewROHFan2020

Post by NewROHFan2020 »

AnHonorableMention wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 4:50 pm

She was on every show. So however many they ran for whatever year that was (2018? 2019?) Covid Calendar times all a blur. Think about it like this, let's say she has 30 matches a year and is paid 15K. That's $500 a match. That means she's also gotta train, go to practice, maintain a specific diet, that's way more than 40 hours a week. I don't think the majority of fans know how hard these people work because all they actually see is on social media.
Guess what? Regular people also go to the gym and diet. It’s not “way more” than 40 hours a week. Regular people do that too. Even if they have kids and stuff.

I don’t think the majority of podcast hosts know how hard regular people work because they just think about pro wrestlers well being all day.

How many fans are buying tickets to see women’s wrestling? That’s why GLOW and WOW and whatever other leagues have always failed. Nobody goes to see the womens matches. They’re going for Cody, the Briscoes, Kenny Omega, Brock Lesnar, and AJ Styles.
AnHonorableMention

NewROHFan2020 wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 5:59 pm
AnHonorableMention wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 4:50 pm

Guess what? Regular people also go to the gym and diet. It’s not “way more” than 40 hours a week. Regular people do that too. Even if they have kids and stuff.

I don’t think the majority of podcast hosts know how hard regular people work because they just think about pro wrestlers well being all day.

How many fans are buying tickets to see women’s wrestling? That’s why GLOW and WOW and whatever other leagues have always failed. Nobody goes to see the womens matches. They’re going for Cody, the Briscoes, Kenny Omega, Brock Lesnar, and AJ Styles.
What an asshole you turned into real quick. Jesus.

I own a business(meaning I don't get days off working 90-100 hours a week), host a podcast, maintain a successful relationship, and go to the gym(7 days a week for 3 hours a day). I also have spent almost 18 years around the wrestling business and have intimate knowledge of how hard people have to work to get where they are be it in WWE or AEW. I rarely watch wrestling aside from the podcast & AEW. So to say I think about pro wrestling or the well being of pro wrestlers all day is just a desperate reach from someone in need of material.

If you paid attention to the podcast especially in talking early days of ROH a lot of people were looking for SHIMMER DVDs. More so than ROH at times. I'm greatly amused this has turned into a gender bashing post. You certainly have managed to make a complete and total asshole of yourself.
Captain Podcast
NewROHFan2020

Post by NewROHFan2020 »

So you can spend 21 hours a week in a gym and you’re not a pro wrestler, but you just were telling us how a female wrestler should be paid more to do the same? And that’s without them having a full-time job too?

Those are facts that women only promotions have failed time and time again. That’s why they don’t/can’t tour. But yeah, let’s pay Kelly Klein the same as Jay Lethal…
AnHonorableMention

NewROHFan2020 wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 7:01 pm So you can spend 21 hours a week in a gym and you’re not a pro wrestler, but you just were telling us how a female wrestler should be paid more to do the same? And that’s without them having a full-time job too?

Those are facts that women only promotions have failed time and time again. That’s why they don’t/can’t tour. But yeah, let’s pay Kelly Klein the same as Jay Lethal…
Very clear, you aren't very smart, so I'll try my best to explain clearly the point. I am telling you a female wrestler should be paid a fair number. I am not saying she should be paid equal to or higher than a man. What I am saying is that a livable wage should be a guaranteed part of society especially coming from a billion dollar corporation that provides no health insurance. What I make for a living in a completely different industry in one check is more than she would have made in a year. That alone is cause for grave concern.

Your grand dillusion here is embarrassing. Stop while the hole is as deep as it is.
Captain Podcast