Supercard Of Honor 2022 - April 1st - Discussion

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
DougN

Re: Supercard Of Honor 2022 - April 1st - Discussion

Post by DougN »

Shanahan wrote: Sat Apr 02, 2022 8:08 am I keep reading articles or social media posts about how Tony had to get the titles off the ROH talent because they weren't signed. Explain Suzuki...

Btw, for everyone looking forward to ROH "future"....say goodbye to all ROH guys who lost last night. That was their last night. What a goodbye for them....
They have a working relationship with NJPW for Suzuki. Why they used him before in three matches. There. Explained. I get trying to make a point, but goddamn that was a dumb one to stick your neck out on. Shouldn't surprise me though. Go have a banana.
I've got over 400 ROH DVDs for sale from 2002 to 2018! Let me know if you are looking for any! Can ship anywhere in the world.
DougN

Post by DougN »

Montana wrote: Sat Apr 02, 2022 4:42 am Yeah, was expecting some mixed reactions to the show. To be honest, this show would have been better than anything Sinclair would have put together, given they released everyone from their contracts, and only a handful of names were announced for the show. ROH was slowly dying, and this should at least hopefully breathe some new life in.

As far as the look and feel, i thought it was pretty on par. Having Ian & Caprice call the action made it feel more like an ROH show. Thought for the most part, the in-ring quality was pretty high. I stepped out for a few minutes, but what i saw i liked. You had some big surprises with Samoa Joe & The Young Bucks. So to expect/think ROH will just be a developmental for AEW; i don't think it's going to quite be that. It seems like Talent can appear on either.

All in all, I'd give it a 8/10. I disliked that the old guard lost a majority of the matches, but Wheeler Yuta, Suzuki, and Mercedes, whom all have wrestled for ROH before are solid champs. FTR fits right into ROH's style. I would have preferred a little more 50/50 , but i'm not someone that gets overly concerned with who wins/losses certain matches (See Taven in 2019)

Pre- Show
Cabana vs. Blake Christian 3.0- Blake Christian will be perfect for the new ROH. Great to see Colt back.

Alize vs. AQA - I missed this.

SSS vs. Kaun & Toa - 1.5 - Glad Eli made it to the show, but this match sucked. Toa looked awful. Probably the low part of the show for me.

Castle vs. Hendry - Missed this too, but glad they were on the show.

Zayne vs. Swerve 4.0 - Great opener. These guys would be great building blocks to a new ROH.

Ninja Mack vs. Cage 2.5 - Basically a squash, but a good one. Cage, another good piece for ROH.

Lethal vs. Moriarty 3.5 - I missed some of this matches, but what i saw i liked. Again, two guys that could really add a lot of a new ROH.

Martinez vs. Willow 3.0 - Solid

Briscoes vs. FTR - 5.0 - As expected, they were great dance partners, lived up to the hype and made me wanted more. I hope the Briscoes arent done; and the ending lives me to believe this isn't the end. Probably should have main evented; but understand why not too.

TItus vs. Suzuki 2.5 - This one felt a little over-board with taking out the old ROH champs. Not sure if ROH or Supercard needed Suzuki to Squash Rhett; but it happened.

Woods vs. Yuta - 3.0 - While watching this match, i kept thinking Yuta is going over. To be fair, in the AEW universe, Yuta's on Dynamite, and Woods is on dark. So Again, disappointed Woods didn't retain, BUT new ownership. If Woods had a long reign, i think Yuta would be a great replacement.

Gresham vs. Bandido 3.75-4.0 - This match went from boring , to hot very quickly. Think their styles clash, and kind of what i've expected for the match at final Battle.

The Aftermath cool, kind of what was expected.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++

Gotta think more AEW fans, who weren't familiar with ROH watched the show as well. I think your trying to please both fan bases. Having one ROH original retain, would have been nice, but oh well.

I think it's too early to write off the new ROH. We have no idea what they are doing moving forward. No TV deal yet, no streaming service with AEW yet, no touring schedule. I'd like to see guys like Blake Christian, Briag Cage, Swerve, Zayne, Yuta, Gresham, Lethal, FTR, Suzuki, etc moving forward. That doesn't feel like a developmental to me. Plus with using guys like Colt, Joe, Young Bucks, it seems like they'll use a lot of legends too. Only downside was using that Toa guy... which to be honest, i'd expect AEW use them of their dark /meh guys on ROH to help them. But with just one, on the show, i was happy with that. This also leaves the door open to ROH guys earning a spot in the new ROH, and potentially some of their titles back. Not sure who/what that could look like yet, but certainly they could cycle talent in.

Would also like to see guys like STP, Deppen, Dickinson, Dragon Lee, Rush, Tracy Williams in ROH, but time will tell. Really hope this isn't the end for the Briscoes.
Best take I've read right here. Solid stuff.

I understand where some of the people are coming from here, but I just don't know what they were expecting from this ROH OR the ROH that Sinclair was trying (or not trying, who knows) to run. A Sinclair-run ROH show with no talent signed would have been just as egregious in who lost and who won -- at least their is some buzz about this show.

The only legit thing I thought was crappy was having Rhett lose to Suzuki. Dude's an institution. There's a better way to handle it.
I've got over 400 ROH DVDs for sale from 2002 to 2018! Let me know if you are looking for any! Can ship anywhere in the world.
kovs27

Post by kovs27 »

DougN wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 10:53 am
Shanahan wrote: Sat Apr 02, 2022 8:08 am I keep reading articles or social media posts about how Tony had to get the titles off the ROH talent because they weren't signed. Explain Suzuki...

Btw, for everyone looking forward to ROH "future"....say goodbye to all ROH guys who lost last night. That was their last night. What a goodbye for them....
They have a working relationship with NJPW for Suzuki. Why they used him before in three matches. There. Explained. I get trying to make a point, but goddamn that was a dumb one to stick your neck out on. Shouldn't surprise me though. Go have a banana.
Suzuki isn't signed to New Japan. He is a free lancer.
dhads7161

Post by dhads7161 »

Doubt that was Woods last night as he's been on Dark regularly
NewROHFan2020

Post by NewROHFan2020 »

Wavelet Transform wrote: Sat Apr 02, 2022 8:20 pm
NewROHFan2020 wrote: Sat Apr 02, 2022 7:48 pm Kind of easy to be the “longest reigning champion” when you don’t wrestle for 4 months and defended it only a handful of times.

If those guys you listed are “so good”, why hasn’t anyone else signed them?
If someone's not signed, they're not good?
Maybe should have re-phrased that because you will bring up Matt Cardona, etc. If they’re not with a major promotion and appearing regularly on the indies, how wanted are they? When was the last time Shane Taylor wrestled? Rhett Titus had a match or 2 in the NWA. Definitely not featured as much as the OGK and Briscoes.
DougN

Post by DougN »

kovs27 wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 11:58 am

Suzuki isn't signed to New Japan. He is a free lancer.
He has a contract with them, but it is not an exclusive contract. They have the right to reserve dates.
indyfan

Post by indyfan »

i just dont get Suzuki.
DougN

Post by DougN »

As a fan of his, I will freely admit that there is a LOT of context to him and he is NOT for everyone.
Shanahan

Post by Shanahan »

McXal wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 10:09 am There is a pretty radical difference between ending Best In The World 2021 with Rush/LFI beating down new champion Bandido and posing with his unconscious body - in a match Bandido won by flash pin, having spent most of the match getting pinged around like a crash test dummy…

…compared to Supercard and the return of arguably THE most iconic ROH World Champion of all time, who then shakes hands with Gresham as the current/new undisputed champion (after far better & more even match) before celebrating WITH him as the show ends…
If Delirious booked that ending we would hear how he stepped all over Gresham's win. Then we would get the "he's gonna book Gresham vs Lethal AGAIN!" And finally "he wants us to believe Joe had to save Gresham and not Foundation members". I'm getting bored with this. Bad booking is bad booking. It shouldn't matter who is doing the booking if it's bad.
Captain_44

Post by Captain_44 »

People talking about having Lethal come out and ruin Gresham's moment. That's been done many times in ROH over the years. Even Gabe had plans if you watch his book of secrets DVD. He had plans when Tyler Black won the ROH Title at Final Battle '08 from Nigel he had Aries and Jacobs both to come out and ruin the moment. There's nothing wrong with doing that. You had someone who could also could claim to be the "Franchise" of ROH come out and put a stop to things in Joe. It set up different matches. I thought it good and it did a few things.
Wavelet Transform

Post by Wavelet Transform »

Captain_44 wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 3:58 pm People talking about having Lethal come out and ruin Gresham's moment. That's been done many times in ROH over the years. Even Gabe had plans if you watch his book of secrets DVD. He had plans when Tyler Black won the ROH Title at Final Battle '08 from Nigel he had Aries and Jacobs both to come out and ruin the moment. There's nothing wrong with doing that. You had someone who could also could claim to be the "Franchise" of ROH come out and put a stop to things in Joe. It set up different matches. I thought it good and it did a few things.
The fact that something was done in the past does not make doing it again good / acceptable / intelligent.
Captain_44

Post by Captain_44 »

Wavelet Transform wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 8:49 pm
Captain_44 wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 3:58 pm People talking about having Lethal come out and ruin Gresham's moment. That's been done many times in ROH over the years. Even Gabe had plans if you watch his book of secrets DVD. He had plans when Tyler Black won the ROH Title at Final Battle '08 from Nigel he had Aries and Jacobs both to come out and ruin the moment. There's nothing wrong with doing that. You had someone who could also could claim to be the "Franchise" of ROH come out and put a stop to things in Joe. It set up different matches. I thought it good and it did a few things.
The fact that something was done in the past does not make doing it again good / acceptable / intelligent.
That could be said about everything in wrestling.
Shanahan

Post by Shanahan »

Is Suzuki signed to AEW or ROH? No. So the “they took titles off ROH guys and put them on signed guys” is bullshit.
DougN

Post by DougN »

Shanahan wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 11:32 am

Is Suzuki signed to AEW or ROH? No. So the “they took titles off ROH guys and put them on signed guys” is bullshit.
Calm down, Mark. (Not slang). Suzuki is signed to a company that has a working relationship with AEW (and now ROH). All the other talent is NOT. Seriously, this is not hard to comprehend, but clearly for you, it is.
Shanahan

Post by Shanahan »

DougN wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 2:48 pm
Shanahan wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 11:32 am

Calm down, Mark. (Not slang). Suzuki is signed to a company that has a working relationship with AEW (and now ROH). All the other talent is NOT. Seriously, this is not hard to comprehend, but clearly for you, it is.
All that and you could of just said “yes, you are correct. Suzuki is not signed to AEW or ROH”.
DougN

Post by DougN »

Still missing the point and it's smacking you in the face, Mark. AEW has a working relationship with NJPW. So if Suzuki is signed to NJPW, then he is a signed guy in that umbrella. All the other guys... are not under that umbrella. Again, not complicated, but your small brain is making it so.
AnHonorableMention

Post by AnHonorableMention »

Big LOL to all of this. Show on Friday was tremendous aside from the Pure Title match which suffered from a dead crowd and Rhett/Suzuki which just didn't get enough time. I thought it was one of he most authentic ROH feeling events in a long time. You put that show in a big building without the Toxic SBG branding and weird never ending stories that don't matter you have yet another example of how good pro wrestling can be.

Also glad to finally see Joe back, had to bite my tongue for way too long on that one.
Captain Podcast
NewROHFan2020

Post by NewROHFan2020 »

AnHonorableMention wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 6:04 pm Big LOL to all of this. Show on Friday was tremendous aside from the Pure Title match which suffered from a dead crowd and Rhett/Suzuki which just didn't get enough time. I thought it was one of he most authentic ROH feeling events in a long time. You put that show in a big building without the Toxic SBG branding and weird never ending stories that don't matter you have yet another example of how good pro wrestling can be.

Also glad to finally see Joe back, had to bite my tongue for way too long on that one.
Yeah, the 20 people that read this board would have spoiled it on the rest of the internet!!!
AnHonorableMention

Post by AnHonorableMention »

NewROHFan2020 wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 6:58 pm
AnHonorableMention wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 6:04 pm Big LOL to all of this. Show on Friday was tremendous aside from the Pure Title match which suffered from a dead crowd and Rhett/Suzuki which just didn't get enough time. I thought it was one of he most authentic ROH feeling events in a long time. You put that show in a big building without the Toxic SBG branding and weird never ending stories that don't matter you have yet another example of how good pro wrestling can be.

Yeah, the 20 people that read this board would have spoiled it on the rest of the internet!!!
The point is you don't spoil it so nobody finds out. I was told by someone directly involved not to say anything, but it was super exciting and news I wanted to celebrate. Especially considering his health strides and how good of shape he's worked himself into.
Captain Podcast
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

Due to work, had most of the show on background noise. Briscoes vs. FTR is everything that's been praised about it. This was also my first time hearing Riccaboni and I have to agree with Cornette - he's far more polished for national cable TV than the much more niche-oriented Excalibur. That isn't a slight on Excalibur as Cornette intends in his criticism. Riccaboni is just a far more professional broadcaster that should be gunning for a spot on TNT or TBS should ROH end up on those networks.

I'd love to see Joe, Punk, & Homicide against Moxley, Kingston, & Danielson at some point.