Supercard Of Honor 2022 - April 1st - Discussion

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
Montana

Re: Supercard Of Honor 2022 - April 1st - Discussion

Post by Montana »

indyfan wrote: Sat Apr 02, 2022 10:37 am after letting everything simmer, my excitement is kind of gone. Ill check out ROH when it comes back and see what happens but im not thrilled at all.

i dont think calling it like WWECW is far off the mark.

ons 2005 and 2006 were great shows and people were excited for ECW to cone back....look how that turned out.

the question is...will Tony do what Vince did.

The sour taste in my mouth on how the Briscoes last memory in ROH is getting superkicked by the Bucks was bullshit.

If Tony let them have that moment, my expectations would be higher going forward. The Briscoes getting the mic and the repect they deserved after that match is how it should of been done.
To be fair, FTR called them the greatest tag team of all time, and bowed to them. THe Bucks were being Uber heels, promoting Dynamite and AEW buying ROH. If anything... i think it just sets things up for the Briscoes to return against the Bucks & FTR. We just don't know anything about future content.
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

Joe's return, a Suzuki title reign, plus this... - https://twitter.com/Alan4L/status/1510278030714880001
Mother of God, FTR vs Briscoes was fucking incredible. That had it all. That's the type of match you remember a Mania weekend for.

You'll think 2022 Mania Weekend, you'll think that.

A top 3 Briscoes match and that's a topic I'm pretty well schooled on.
... means I'll be ordering the replay before I hit the road on Monday morning.

The most interesting ROH show since the golden age ended in June 2011.
McXal
Donator
Donator

Post by McXal »

I reviewed the show live. I’ve already posted on my socials - but the link is below as well. It certainly wasn’t a perfect show - but Briscoes/FTR was absolutely stunning, I loved Bandido/Gresh more than most i think - and I also thought the ‘moments’ with Joe & the Bucks were great for what they were.

http://mcxalsreviews.yolasite.com/540su ... onor14.php

I mean this entirely respectfully - but the fans Khan’s ROH ‘lost’ last night, the legacy fans from Sinclair-era ROH, aren’t a great loss. I don’t mean that their opinions aren’t valid - I simply mean that, as painful as it may have been to watch Sinclair’s legacy cleansed from ROH in a single night; if there were enough of ‘those’ fans who supported Sinclair’s product then it would still be around and SBG wouldn’t have flogged it like a dead horse in the first place. Last night was a necessary evil. It wasn’t necessarily Khan turning ROH into WWECW - but it was him putting the company into a holding pattern largely under the stewardship of people he already has under contract, whilst he figures out what the ‘new’ ROH will look like. And it was him clearing the decks and moving out all the wrestlers who - again with the greatest of respect - just weren’t interesting or drawing enough fans under Sinclair’s ownership anyway.

And to the people criticising the Tully Blanchard stuff; most of it was on the pre-show. Cage is awesome and was a cool surprise for the PPV. The ‘new’ ROH will, at best, be a developmental brand for AEW. I didn’t have a great issue with him using the ROH pre-show/lower card to launch a new angle for AEW TV…

I truly hope there is a spot in the new ROH - whatever that looks like - for the Briscoes though. That moment where they got a standing ovation after the FTR match was spine-chilling. I understand it’s a sensitive situation but surely Tony can’t have seen that moment, and that match, and not thought about finding a way to hire Jay and Mark.

EDIT - I do hope Tony finds a spot for Shane Taylor as well. Without being unkind, I’m not too fussed about SOS (Kaun has talent and has a new spot anyway), Hunt or O’Shay - but Taylor is a genuine talent. He was maybe the only 2021 ROH talent who wasn’t on the show last night that I missed.
Last edited by McXal on Sat Apr 02, 2022 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

Top 3 Briscoe match of all time?

That might be the worst take I've ever read on this site. Logging off forever now, hope y'all enjoy your WWECW.
NewROHFan2020

Post by NewROHFan2020 »

classic-cabana wrote: Sat Apr 02, 2022 9:08 am
famicommander wrote: Sat Apr 02, 2022 8:50 am
classic-cabana wrote: Sat Apr 02, 2022 8:42 am

Their last night was Final Battle. The promotion as it were was done after Final Battle. No one had much, if any, hope for this "reboot" til Tony Khan bought the promotion. Khan has plans for his version of ROH, if they don't include talent that was under contract to Sinclair then thats unfortunate.

Obviously there's many that I'd love to see continue in the company, and to be fair, it's very early days yet anyway.

For many of us ROH is our number one promotion. It was done but now its back, and to be perfectly honest I prefer the potential of it under the stewardship of Khan than to continue under Sinclair.
ROH isn't back, it's dead. What we have now is like calling what Vince McMahon turned WWECW into the real "ECW"

It's like this new football league calling itself the USFL. They can call it whatever the hell they want but the USFL is dead and this new league will be a sad imitation.

Tony Khan sucks at booking one promotion and now he's going to book two simultaneously?

The man even managed to make Impact Wrestling suck even worse than it already did. That's next level shit right there.
WWECW comparisons are way off the mark

Question, what do you want from ROH? Were you happy with the direction of the promotion under Sinclair?

Reading your posts you clearly dislike Tony Khan and AEW. Why waste your time following ROH from this point. Move on

(also, I wasn't aware Khan ever booked Impact Wrestling)
He also posts on an indoor football message board, that he doesn’t watch and talks about how shitty it is. He just runs things down.

Surprised he’s back. At least he hasn’t called anyone “fat” yet.
NewROHFan2020

Post by NewROHFan2020 »

indyfan wrote: Sat Apr 02, 2022 10:37 am after letting everything simmer, my excitement is kind of gone. Ill check out ROH when it comes back and see what happens but im not thrilled at all.

i dont think calling it like WWECW is far off the mark.

ons 2005 and 2006 were great shows and people were excited for ECW to cone back....look how that turned out.

the question is...will Tony do what Vince did.

The sour taste in my mouth on how the Briscoes last memory in ROH is getting superkicked by the Bucks was bullshit.

If Tony let them have that moment, my expectations would be higher going forward. The Briscoes getting the mic and the repect they deserved after that match is how it should of been done.
Even then, those really weren’t ROH fans there. Tony said only 250 tickets were sold before he brought ROH and had AEW talent on the card. I’m sure the Briscoes will fine.

“ROH” is dead. It’s just an AEW “b promotion” now. Nothing wrong with that, but anyone expecting ROH to resemble an actual promotion, is kidding themselves.
indyfan

Post by indyfan »

I think my saddened view of the show stems from the fact the on one hand, my favourite promotion lives on and on the other guys who poured their souls into it wont benefit at all from it since they re out of a job
Wavelet Transform

Post by Wavelet Transform »

This argument that the belts had to come off of non-contracted talent is such a crock. TK hands out contracts like Halloween candy, you're telling me there's not a spot in AEW for Josh Woods or Rhett? What would they even be worried about w/ those two having the belts? It's not like they're signing elsewhere and even if they did, who cares?

No one's mentioning that ROH talent were losing to the scrubbiest of scrubs on the AEW roster. Seriously, Wheeler Yuta? He's obviously talented, but dude's been such a loser on AEW and he takes the belt off your longest reigning champion. Same for Lethal. Honestly surprised the end of the show wasn't Lethal goading Gresh into a match and taking the belt from him.

Doesn't sound like we're getting Caprice and Ian going forward. Sounded like Tony used them mainly because that's the team that's in place and he wanted to avoid the Scott Hudson / Arn debacle from WCW on Raw years ago.

Great matches alone isn't enough. ROH has always, always had great matches. Even at the absolute nadir of the Cornette era, you still had Davey, Eddie, Roddy, Cole, O'Reilly, etc... churning out great matches on every show.

ROH going forward likely won't have: the Briscoes, Ian & Caprice, Deppen, Hot Sauce, Rhett, Josh Woods, Dragon Lee, Shane Taylor, Rey Horus, and Flamita (among others). The days of Gresham being the centerpiece of the promotion are _very_ numbered. The current roster that do make their way to AEWROH are going to lose to AEW scrubs. I don't see anything in any of that to be excited about.

Positives from the show: Briscoes / FTR exceeded expectations, the usual fantastic work from Ian and Caprice (seemed to go out of their way to put over the ROH guys even while getting steamrollered by AEW talent), rest of the matches not involving Tully's stable were fun.
NewROHFan2020

Post by NewROHFan2020 »

Wavelet Transform wrote: Sat Apr 02, 2022 6:56 pm This argument that the belts had to come off of non-contracted talent is such a crock. TK hands out contracts like Halloween candy, you're telling me there's not a spot in AEW for Josh Woods or Rhett? What would they even be worried about w/ those two having the belts? It's not like they're signing elsewhere and even if they did, who cares?

No one's mentioning that ROH talent were losing to the scrubbiest of scrubs on the AEW roster. Seriously, Wheeler Yuta? He's obviously talented, but dude's been such a loser on AEW and he takes the belt off your longest reigning champion. Same for Lethal. Honestly surprised the end of the show wasn't Lethal goading Gresh into a match and taking the belt from him.

Doesn't sound like we're getting Caprice and Ian going forward. Sounded like Tony used them mainly because that's the team that's in place and he wanted to avoid the Scott Hudson / Arn debacle from WCW on Raw years ago.

Great matches alone isn't enough. ROH has always, always had great matches. Even at the absolute nadir of the Cornette era, you still had Davey, Eddie, Roddy, Cole, O'Reilly, etc... churning out great matches on every show.

ROH going forward likely won't have: the Briscoes, Ian & Caprice, Deppen, Hot Sauce, Rhett, Josh Woods, Dragon Lee, Shane Taylor, Rey Horus, and Flamita (among others). The days of Gresham being the centerpiece of the promotion are _very_ numbered. The current roster that do make their way to AEWROH are going to lose to AEW scrubs. I don't see anything in any of that to be excited about.

Positives from the show: Briscoes / FTR exceeded expectations, the usual fantastic work from Ian and Caprice (seemed to go out of their way to put over the ROH guys even while getting steamrollered by AEW talent), rest of the matches not involving Tully's stable were fun.
Kind of easy to be the “longest reigning champion” when you don’t wrestle for 4 months and defended it only a handful of times.

If those guys you listed are “so good”, why hasn’t anyone else signed them?
Wavelet Transform

NewROHFan2020 wrote: Sat Apr 02, 2022 7:48 pm Kind of easy to be the “longest reigning champion” when you don’t wrestle for 4 months and defended it only a handful of times.

If those guys you listed are “so good”, why hasn’t anyone else signed them?
If someone's not signed, they're not good?
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

Khan is 100% right to fuck off the SBG era and get this back as close to what made this federation special in the first place. Even at its best several years ago, the whole SBG run has been drastically uninspired.
indyfan

Post by indyfan »

supersonic wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 2:47 am Khan is 100% right to fuck off the SBG era and get this back as close to what made this federation special in the first place. Even at its best several years ago, the whole SBG run has been drastically uninspired.
I love how you say that without seeing the aftermath of the Briscoes vs FTR. That booking wasnt classic ROH. That was like Bully Ray beating up Daniels after his last match in ROH at FB 2018

Also Tony never specifically said anything about getting away from the Sinclair era.

And there was a lot to like in the Sinclair era.
dhads7161

Post by dhads7161 »

It's not like The Bucks, Joe, Lethal don't have any history in ROH. Not like they brought in fucking Paul Wight, QT Marshall, and The Gunn Club for these spots.
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

dhads7161 wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 4:56 am It's not like The Bucks, Joe, Lethal don't have any history in ROH. Not like they brought in fucking Paul Wight, QT Marshall, and The Gunn Club for these spots.
THIS.
Wavelet Transform

indyfan wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 3:57 am
supersonic wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 2:47 am Khan is 100% right to fuck off the SBG era and get this back as close to what made this federation special in the first place. Even at its best several years ago, the whole SBG run has been drastically uninspired.
I love how you say that without seeing the aftermath of the Briscoes vs FTR. That booking wasnt classic ROH. That was like Bully Ray beating up Daniels after his last match in ROH at FB 2018

Also Tony never specifically said anything about getting away from the Sinclair era.

And there was a lot to like in the Sinclair era.
All of this. Lethal ruining Gresham's celebration was also bad. Following a great, long match for the championship with a heel beatdown like that is WWE booking at its worst. Joe could have come back after the Moriarty match, which would have left the focus on Gresham at the end of the show. Instead, Gresham's treated like a total afterthought to Joe and perennial AEW loser Lethal.

There's a lot to criticize about SBG ROH booking, but making Gresham the champion and the focal point was gutsy and a throwback to ROH's best era. It's a real shame we won't get the long title reign with a killer 20-30 minute Gresham title match every show that we'd have gotten from SBG ROH.
BurningHammer

Post by BurningHammer »

Imagine hating on a company, the booker instead of directing that anger towards the heels like your supposed too. If anything because of what ROH is and has been what the Bucks and Lethal did should mean more especially if/when there is a pay off.

Like I said previously there is shit being said that is getting on the embarrassing, I mean seriously people saying what happened at Supercard is some how disgusting etc, jeez don’t make me laugh, like we haven’t seen horrible, deathly booking decisions in ROH under Delirious. We saw too many to many count over the years up until the last year or so.

Also I see a lot of clairvoyants which is really interesting for a wrestling forum. Who’d have thought.
dhads7161

Post by dhads7161 »

The only things I didn't like about the show were on the pre-show. Blake Christian and Eli Isom doing jobs especially Isom getting squashed.
Shanahan

Post by Shanahan »

Funny how people defend the Undisputed Champ being beaten down and an afterthought to close the show were also screaming how Rush beating down Bandido after losing the title was classic terrible delirious booking. Youse are exposing yourselves as hypocrites.
McXal
Donator
Donator

Post by McXal »

There is a pretty radical difference between ending Best In The World 2021 with Rush/LFI beating down new champion Bandido and posing with his unconscious body - in a match Bandido won by flash pin, having spent most of the match getting pinged around like a crash test dummy…

…compared to Supercard and the return of arguably THE most iconic ROH World Champion of all time, who then shakes hands with Gresham as the current/new undisputed champion (after far better & more even match) before celebrating WITH him as the show ends…
BurningHammer

Post by BurningHammer »

Shanahan wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 10:02 am Funny how people defend the Undisputed Champ being beaten down and an afterthought to close the show were also screaming how Rush beating down Bandido after losing the title was classic terrible delirious booking. Youse are exposing yourselves as hypocrites.
I don’t think I ever said I hated that particular angle, as I understood it, especially where it was going and it’s the same here. The problem with Delirious is that he didn’t have any equity in the bank when it came to booking. From what I’ve experienced of Khan’s booking he tends to follow through with all these moments to something bigger down the line.