Supercard Of Honor 2022 - April 1st - Discussion

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
famicommander

Re: Supercard Of Honor 2022 - April 1st - Discussion

Post by famicommander »

Oh, and I guess we traded in Shane Taylor Promotions for another pointless Tully Blanchard nostalgia stable?

Great. Awesome. Thanks.
BurningHammer

Post by BurningHammer »

famicommander wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 10:39 pm
BurningHammer wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 10:12 pm I think people are really forgetting some of the awful shit that happened in the past years in ROH and to say this show ripped that heart out of ROH is just wrong. If you are going to use a show for that use The G1 Supercard, that show and the last Rev Pro show I went too felt like the soul had been sucked out of each company.

There are some takes that have gone way overboard.
The difference is ROH was still ROH then. Now they're just AEW's NXT.

I know a lot of (stupid) people say that ROH has always been developmental in a sense, because at various points WWE/TNA/AEW were always raiding them for talent.

But there's a very, very big difference between being your own promotion that gets some (but not all) of its top talent signed away versus existing for the explicit purpose of developing people for another (terrible) promotion.

G1 Supercard was a gut punch of a show, there's no defending it. But this? This is definitive. ROH will never again be ROH. There's no going back. The stink of AEW is on it forever now.

As bad as G1 Supercard was, it was at least close to 50/50 booking. NJPW came out looking too strong, but the ROH guys didn't get washed away entirely. On this card all the ROH talent got buried. The Briscoes, Rhett, Zayne, Alize, Willow, Burger and Isom, Woods.

ECW was never ECW again after 2001 and ROH will never be ROH again after 2021.
What do mean buried?! They all lost, that was it, everyone had a competitive , at least, match. You are going on like everyone got rolled up like Danielson against Sheamus. Also if your hanging you hat on, Zayne, Cheeseburger, Isom, Alize, Rhett and Woods then I can understand why you are angry but looking at the talent themselves, are they really deserving of any big spot in what ROH should be, the guys that won tonight should have been the names ROH started to build around two or three years ago.

Out all of that crew Isom is really the only one that should be protected as he is a real blue chip talent, and maybe Woods for his sheer vast improvement. That said as fans we have had to suffer through the hardest yards with all these talents and honestly I’m tired of it. I want to see sure bets that I can get behind, like Yuta, like Lee, like Swerve.

The Tully group is what it is, is Cage capable of having matches I really enjoy yes, regardless of my feelings on him. Can the new tag team with Khan in it be something probably and it’s great to see Khan being used. Does the team feel more sensible and believable than say the Decade or even Scum to me yes. That doesn’t mean I’m not sceptical but I’ll give it a shot as long as they aren’t main eventing PPV’s for now.

You also have a view on AEW I used to share, over the last few months I’ve personally seen a lot of good, a lot of detail, long term and short term booking. Everything that ROH should have, they are catering to a wide spectrum of fans and that can be detrimental in someways as it brings in stuff I truly hate.

We also honestly don’t know what ROH is going to be, will feuds and wrestlers blend in and out of both companies, yes most likely. I still think when ROH is up and running it will have a distinct look and feel. Especially when Khan has got his own crew for the promotion. People seem to forget how short notice this was all put together and that comes with certain limitations. Just for wear and tear there is going to have to be a separate crew to handle everything.
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

Yes, we do know what ROH is going to be.

We've known since the instant Tony Khan bought them.

It's going to be a shitty developmental territory to an even shittier main promotion.

ROH is to AEW what NXT is to WWE.
BurningHammer

Post by BurningHammer »

Also if we get Gresham/Joe vs Lethal/Dutt in ROH I would be delighted even more so if it’s in NY.

If that’s how you feel about it, I doubt I’m going to change anything about that thought. Personally there’s nothing pushing me away so far, and considering what I’ve put up with in previous incarnations of ROH this is nothing.
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

BurningHammer wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 7:31 pm I think this all going to take time to settle, what is ROH, what is AEW and where it all fits in the end. There I’m sure will be a lot of talent to discuss things with and what to make of the company going forward.

This was def the end of company under Sinclair and I can totally understand what happened tonight especially with talent so fused into AEW. The next show will def be a better indicator of what’s to come of the company.

This was very much a show for all rather than a show for just ROH fans and in the end that’s what Sinclair tried to do and failed. ROH certainly hasn’t had traction in the wrestling world like this in a while so hopefully it all pays off.

When you break it down that, Gresham, FTR, Yuta, Martinez and Suzuki are the champions things really aren’t all that bad.
X2
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

Aew trash ?

🤣🤣🤣🤣
indyfan

Post by indyfan »

In ring, i enjoyed the hell out of the show. but it was sad too. The shit with the Bucks was horrible
Montana

Post by Montana »

Yeah, was expecting some mixed reactions to the show. To be honest, this show would have been better than anything Sinclair would have put together, given they released everyone from their contracts, and only a handful of names were announced for the show. ROH was slowly dying, and this should at least hopefully breathe some new life in.

As far as the look and feel, i thought it was pretty on par. Having Ian & Caprice call the action made it feel more like an ROH show. Thought for the most part, the in-ring quality was pretty high. I stepped out for a few minutes, but what i saw i liked. You had some big surprises with Samoa Joe & The Young Bucks. So to expect/think ROH will just be a developmental for AEW; i don't think it's going to quite be that. It seems like Talent can appear on either.

All in all, I'd give it a 8/10. I disliked that the old guard lost a majority of the matches, but Wheeler Yuta, Suzuki, and Mercedes, whom all have wrestled for ROH before are solid champs. FTR fits right into ROH's style. I would have preferred a little more 50/50 , but i'm not someone that gets overly concerned with who wins/losses certain matches (See Taven in 2019)

Pre- Show
Cabana vs. Blake Christian 3.0- Blake Christian will be perfect for the new ROH. Great to see Colt back.

Alize vs. AQA - I missed this.

SSS vs. Kaun & Toa - 1.5 - Glad Eli made it to the show, but this match sucked. Toa looked awful. Probably the low part of the show for me.

Castle vs. Hendry - Missed this too, but glad they were on the show.

Zayne vs. Swerve 4.0 - Great opener. These guys would be great building blocks to a new ROH.

Ninja Mack vs. Cage 2.5 - Basically a squash, but a good one. Cage, another good piece for ROH.

Lethal vs. Moriarty 3.5 - I missed some of this matches, but what i saw i liked. Again, two guys that could really add a lot of a new ROH.

Martinez vs. Willow 3.0 - Solid

Briscoes vs. FTR - 5.0 - As expected, they were great dance partners, lived up to the hype and made me wanted more. I hope the Briscoes arent done; and the ending lives me to believe this isn't the end. Probably should have main evented; but understand why not too.

TItus vs. Suzuki 2.5 - This one felt a little over-board with taking out the old ROH champs. Not sure if ROH or Supercard needed Suzuki to Squash Rhett; but it happened.

Woods vs. Yuta - 3.0 - While watching this match, i kept thinking Yuta is going over. To be fair, in the AEW universe, Yuta's on Dynamite, and Woods is on dark. So Again, disappointed Woods didn't retain, BUT new ownership. If Woods had a long reign, i think Yuta would be a great replacement.

Gresham vs. Bandido 3.75-4.0 - This match went from boring , to hot very quickly. Think their styles clash, and kind of what i've expected for the match at final Battle.

The Aftermath cool, kind of what was expected.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++

Gotta think more AEW fans, who weren't familiar with ROH watched the show as well. I think your trying to please both fan bases. Having one ROH original retain, would have been nice, but oh well.

I think it's too early to write off the new ROH. We have no idea what they are doing moving forward. No TV deal yet, no streaming service with AEW yet, no touring schedule. I'd like to see guys like Blake Christian, Briag Cage, Swerve, Zayne, Yuta, Gresham, Lethal, FTR, Suzuki, etc moving forward. That doesn't feel like a developmental to me. Plus with using guys like Colt, Joe, Young Bucks, it seems like they'll use a lot of legends too. Only downside was using that Toa guy... which to be honest, i'd expect AEW use them of their dark /meh guys on ROH to help them. But with just one, on the show, i was happy with that. This also leaves the door open to ROH guys earning a spot in the new ROH, and potentially some of their titles back. Not sure who/what that could look like yet, but certainly they could cycle talent in.

Would also like to see guys like STP, Deppen, Dickinson, Dragon Lee, Rush, Tracy Williams in ROH, but time will tell. Really hope this isn't the end for the Briscoes.
indyfan

Post by indyfan »

Montana wrote: Sat Apr 02, 2022 4:42 am Yeah, was expecting some mixed reactions to the show. To be honest, this show would have been better than anything Sinclair would have put together, given they released everyone from their contracts, and only a handful of names were announced for the show. ROH was slowly dying, and this should at least hopefully breathe some new life in.

As far as the look and feel, i thought it was pretty on par. Having Ian & Caprice call the action made it feel more like an ROH show. Thought for the most part, the in-ring quality was pretty high. I stepped out for a few minutes, but what i saw i liked. You had some big surprises with Samoa Joe & The Young Bucks. So to expect/think ROH will just be a developmental for AEW; i don't think it's going to quite be that. It seems like Talent can appear on either.

All in all, I'd give it a 8/10. I disliked that the old guard lost a majority of the matches, but Wheeler Yuta, Suzuki, and Mercedes, whom all have wrestled for ROH before are solid champs. FTR fits right into ROH's style. I would have preferred a little more 50/50 , but i'm not someone that gets overly concerned with who wins/losses certain matches (See Taven in 2019)

Pre- Show
Cabana vs. Blake Christian 3.0- Blake Christian will be perfect for the new ROH. Great to see Colt back.

Alize vs. AQA - I missed this.

SSS vs. Kaun & Toa - 1.5 - Glad Eli made it to the show, but this match sucked. Toa looked awful. Probably the low part of the show for me.

Castle vs. Hendry - Missed this too, but glad they were on the show.

Zayne vs. Swerve 4.0 - Great opener. These guys would be great building blocks to a new ROH.

Ninja Mack vs. Cage 2.5 - Basically a squash, but a good one. Cage, another good piece for ROH.

Lethal vs. Moriarty 3.5 - I missed some of this matches, but what i saw i liked. Again, two guys that could really add a lot of a new ROH.

Martinez vs. Willow 3.0 - Solid

Briscoes vs. FTR - 5.0 - As expected, they were great dance partners, lived up to the hype and made me wanted more. I hope the Briscoes arent done; and the ending lives me to believe this isn't the end. Probably should have main evented; but understand why not too.

TItus vs. Suzuki 2.5 - This one felt a little over-board with taking out the old ROH champs. Not sure if ROH or Supercard needed Suzuki to Squash Rhett; but it happened.

Woods vs. Yuta - 3.0 - While watching this match, i kept thinking Yuta is going over. To be fair, in the AEW universe, Yuta's on Dynamite, and Woods is on dark. So Again, disappointed Woods didn't retain, BUT new ownership. If Woods had a long reign, i think Yuta would be a great replacement.

Gresham vs. Bandido 3.75-4.0 - This match went from boring , to hot very quickly. Think their styles clash, and kind of what i've expected for the match at final Battle.

The Aftermath cool, kind of what was expected.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++

Gotta think more AEW fans, who weren't familiar with ROH watched the show as well. I think your trying to please both fan bases. Having one ROH original retain, would have been nice, but oh well.

I think it's too early to write off the new ROH. We have no idea what they are doing moving forward. No TV deal yet, no streaming service with AEW yet, no touring schedule. I'd like to see guys like Blake Christian, Briag Cage, Swerve, Zayne, Yuta, Gresham, Lethal, FTR, Suzuki, etc moving forward. That doesn't feel like a developmental to me. Plus with using guys like Colt, Joe, Young Bucks, it seems like they'll use a lot of legends too. Only downside was using that Toa guy... which to be honest, i'd expect AEW use them of their dark /meh guys on ROH to help them. But with just one, on the show, i was happy with that. This also leaves the door open to ROH guys earning a spot in the new ROH, and potentially some of their titles back. Not sure who/what that could look like yet, but certainly they could cycle talent in.

Would also like to see guys like STP, Deppen, Dickinson, Dragon Lee, Rush, Tracy Williams in ROH, but time will tell. Really hope this isn't the end for the Briscoes.
Really good view on the show.

i feel a lot of uncertainty. I ll go with the wait and see approach.
classic-cabana
Donator
Donator

Post by classic-cabana »

Come out with mixed feelings but still very optimistic. I really enjoyed the ppv. FTR Briscoes was excellent and the main event delivered too (could have done without the Chavo nonsense).

Its definitely an AEW promotion in look and feel, can't complain as its miles better than how ROH looked in recent years.

Please, please keep Ian and Caprice going forward, the best commentary duo in the business imo, they were both brilliant last night.

A lot of the Dynamite plugs and Bucks stuff left me deflated, but these things are to be expected and something I'm going to have to get used to. Can't be bothered with Tully Blanchard Enterprises whatsoever, sooner Kaun breaks out the better.

I don't mind most of the talent that went over, even if it did feel like a night of AEW trouncing ROH. I'm eager to see more Yuta in ROH, if that is the direction its going (a developmental territory or a separate brand within AEW). All for Martinez as womens champion.

Its definitely a new era, an exciting era now Ive reflected on it. We're going to get better production, better talent (Samoa Joe is back!) which hopefully leads to more eyes on the product. Crowd was excellent last night as well.

Keep Ian and Caprice. Keep the Briscoes. Give us the odd Punk and/or Bryan match. Deliver must watch weekly tv. Give us top notch ppvs. Happy days ahead🤞(lets not forget we were waving goodbye to the promotion 3 months ago)
Shanahan

Post by Shanahan »

I keep reading articles or social media posts about how Tony had to get the titles off the ROH talent because they weren't signed. Explain Suzuki...

Btw, for everyone looking forward to ROH "future"....say goodbye to all ROH guys who lost last night. That was their last night. What a goodbye for them....
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

monster mafia wrote: Sat Apr 02, 2022 3:39 am Aew trash ?

🤣🤣🤣🤣
Yes. Absolutely horrible promotion. If you asked me to describe the worst possible #2 promotion ten years ago, I would've described AEW to a tee. Just another WWE clone.

AEW is indistinguishable from Impact, WWE, and MLW at this point. The only thing that separates them is how expensive they look. They all have the same garbage philosophy about wrestling.
classic-cabana
Donator
Donator

Post by classic-cabana »

Shanahan wrote: Sat Apr 02, 2022 8:08 am I keep reading articles or social media posts about how Tony had to get the titles off the ROH talent because they weren't signed. Explain Suzuki...

Btw, for everyone looking forward to ROH "future"....say goodbye to all ROH guys who lost last night. That was their last night. What a goodbye for them....
Their last night was Final Battle. The promotion as it were was done after Final Battle. No one had much, if any, hope for this "reboot" til Tony Khan bought the promotion. Khan has plans for his version of ROH, if they don't include talent that was under contract to Sinclair then thats unfortunate.

Obviously there's many that I'd love to see continue in the company, and to be fair, it's very early days yet anyway.

For many of us ROH is our number one promotion. It was done but now its back, and to be perfectly honest I prefer the potential of it under the stewardship of Khan than to continue under Sinclair.
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

classic-cabana wrote: Sat Apr 02, 2022 8:42 am
Shanahan wrote: Sat Apr 02, 2022 8:08 am I keep reading articles or social media posts about how Tony had to get the titles off the ROH talent because they weren't signed. Explain Suzuki...

Their last night was Final Battle. The promotion as it were was done after Final Battle. No one had much, if any, hope for this "reboot" til Tony Khan bought the promotion. Khan has plans for his version of ROH, if they don't include talent that was under contract to Sinclair then thats unfortunate.

Obviously there's many that I'd love to see continue in the company, and to be fair, it's very early days yet anyway.

For many of us ROH is our number one promotion. It was done but now its back, and to be perfectly honest I prefer the potential of it under the stewardship of Khan than to continue under Sinclair.
ROH isn't back, it's dead. What we have now is like calling what Vince McMahon turned WWECW into the real "ECW"

It's like this new football league calling itself the USFL. They can call it whatever the hell they want but the USFL is dead and this new league will be a sad imitation.

Tony Khan sucks at booking one promotion and now he's going to book two simultaneously?

The man even managed to make Impact Wrestling suck even worse than it already did. That's next level shit right there.
classic-cabana
Donator
Donator

Post by classic-cabana »

famicommander wrote: Sat Apr 02, 2022 8:50 am

ROH isn't back, it's dead. What we have now is like calling what Vince McMahon turned WWECW into the real "ECW"

It's like this new football league calling itself the USFL. They can call it whatever the hell they want but the USFL is dead and this new league will be a sad imitation.

Tony Khan sucks at booking one promotion and now he's going to book two simultaneously?

The man even managed to make Impact Wrestling suck even worse than it already did. That's next level shit right there.
WWECW comparisons are way off the mark

Question, what do you want from ROH? Were you happy with the direction of the promotion under Sinclair?

Reading your posts you clearly dislike Tony Khan and AEW. Why waste your time following ROH from this point. Move on

(also, I wasn't aware Khan ever booked Impact Wrestling)
Montana

Post by Montana »

famicommander wrote: Sat Apr 02, 2022 8:50 am

If you don't like ANY of the wrestling promotions out there now; that's on you. Change your expectations.. or build your own promotion. Every promotion has good and bad things about it; and if WWE/AEW/Impact/ROH/MLW/ NWA/ aren't giving you want you want, than maybe look more at other promotions. The collective is putting on like 12 shows this weekend... did all of those suck too?
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

I don't have time to watch 12 random ass indies.

And yes, WWE, AEW, Impact, ROH, and MLW all suck ass because they're all putting on the exact same style of shows.

Just a handful of years ago we had several vastly different wrestling shows on weekly television. You could turn on Lucha Underground, then ROH, then Impact, then Fusion, then NJPW on AXS, then Smackdown and see very different shows. Now we have seven permutations of 2007 Raw.
Montana

Post by Montana »

I semi-buy that excuse. I feel like there's a lot of moving pieces here. It's not like TK had planned this long in advance. He's got MORE than enough talent for 2 full time brands. So it's not like he needs all of the ROH roster. He could have just stripped everyone of their belts too, and cancelled the show. I"m sure TK wanted to put his stamp on ROH too; IF all the ROH talent went over; that may put off a potential new audience of lapsed ROH fans. Now, a guy like Wheeler Yuta can be on Dynamite with the Pure Title.

I think once they figure out TV/streaming/touring; we'll see some more ROH names sign/appear. I could see them be enhancement talents; and a few may break out, but hopefully at least a handful get the shot. It's very possible, TK may use AEW talent to get the new ROH off the drop; THEN rebuild some select ROH guys, in his vision. We'll have to see and see though.
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

famicommander wrote: Sat Apr 02, 2022 8:38 am
monster mafia wrote: Sat Apr 02, 2022 3:39 am Aew trash ?

🤣🤣🤣🤣
Yes. Absolutely horrible promotion. If you asked me to describe the worst possible #2 promotion ten years ago, I would've described AEW to a tee. Just another WWE clone.

AEW is indistinguishable from Impact, WWE, and MLW at this point. The only thing that separates them is how expensive they look. They all have the same garbage philosophy about wrestling.
na, aew is great.
indyfan

Post by indyfan »

after letting everything simmer, my excitement is kind of gone. Ill check out ROH when it comes back and see what happens but im not thrilled at all.

i dont think calling it like WWECW is far off the mark.

ons 2005 and 2006 were great shows and people were excited for ECW to cone back....look how that turned out.

the question is...will Tony do what Vince did.

The sour taste in my mouth on how the Briscoes last memory in ROH is getting superkicked by the Bucks was bullshit.

If Tony let them have that moment, my expectations would be higher going forward. The Briscoes getting the mic and the repect they deserved after that match is how it should of been done.