Supercard Of Honor 2022 - April 1st - Discussion

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
indyfan

Re: Supercard Of Honor 2022 - April 1st - Discussion

Post by indyfan »

supersonic wrote: Sat Feb 19, 2022 12:30 pm
indyfan wrote: Sat Feb 19, 2022 8:31 am
AnHonorableMention wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 4:37 pm

I've read more credible commentary on Fox News
how is my commentary any less credible than yours.....
Schwartz has a podcast with an ROH alumni (and current AEW employee) and has featured many other ROH alumni for guest interviews, some that have confirmed friendships. His lens is always going to be a bit different than those who have a more consumer-centric view on the industry.

The "Smoky Mountain of Honor" era permanently alienated me from ever becoming a die-hard follower of this federation again.
Whos Schwartz?
AnHonorableMention

Post by AnHonorableMention »

indyfan wrote: Sat Feb 19, 2022 2:28 pm
indyfan wrote: Sat Feb 19, 2022 8:31 am

how is my commentary any less credible than yours.....
Schwartz has a podcast with an ROH alumni (and current AEW employee) and has featured many other ROH alumni for guest interviews, some that have confirmed friendships. His lens is always going to be a bit different than those who have a more consumer-centric view on the industry.

The "Smoky Mountain of Honor" era permanently alienated me from ever becoming a die-hard follower of this federation again.
Whos Schwartz?
That would be my last name. When the owner of the company at one point, Cary Silkin refers to you specifically by name as "A true Ring of Honor Historian" not only was I flattered and completely humbled by that compliment, I think it speaks to the credibility aspect. Not to pat myself on the back but if you simply look at the rolodex on my phone and who I have provided DVD's to since 2004 when I first started attending shows as a senior in high school, at the end of the day I'm not Joe Consumer, but some days I wish I still was.
Captain Podcast
AnHonorableMention

EvanKnight wrote: Sat Feb 19, 2022 7:41 am Listening to the FB live it struck me that this is probably going to be one of the most difficult shows in ROH history to book. Really one of the more difficult any company has had.

If it is too much like an ROH show, it’s not reimagined and people will complain. If it’s too different, it’s not really ROH and people will complain. The negative voices are almost guaranteed to be louder.

More important than any one match though, this show needs to reestablish the ROH brand. It needs to firmly embrace the vision of ROH, and I’m not really sure they have one.
Honestly, a good show is a good show. But there is zero chance they'll have a crowd large enough to fill that building. The new vision is no contracts, OK. New logo, last time they did that it sucked. The actual new vision was we weren't given money from SBG to run for 4 months because we spent poorly and made no money.

The new vision should have been a complete implosion of management and direction. Joe Koff, Greg Gilleland, Delirious, still employed. The chemical disdain people have for those 3 is very extreme. It's not going to change because of a new logo.
Captain Podcast
AnHonorableMention

Shanahan wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 4:35 pm
AnHonorableMention wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 5:22 pm
Shanahan wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 5:17 pm You act all high and mighty about respect and treating people right and then you go off calling Kevin a Goof because you are extremely bitter. It's really hilarious.
Bitter at what exactly?
Not surprising you have no idea. Be better.
Still on his vow of silence I see.
Captain Podcast
indyfan

Post by indyfan »

AnHonorableMention wrote: Sat Feb 19, 2022 2:49 pm

Whos Schwartz?
That would be my last name. When the owner of the company at one point, Cary Silkin refers to you specifically by name as "A true Ring of Honor Historian" not only was I flattered and completely humbled by that compliment, I think it speaks to the credibility aspect. Not to pat myself on the back but if you simply look at the rolodex on my phone and who I have provided DVD's to since 2004 when I first started attending shows as a senior in high school, at the end of the day I'm not Joe Consumer, but some days I wish I still was.
but its not lost on you that i could easily say all that about myself as well? Cary calls me every night and thanks me for being a true ROH historian and thanks me for loving ROH since 2006. im obviously joking ....

I just think this old school fan vs new school fan is complete bullshit. Both you and Supersonic have been riding that wave for a while. Its an elitist mindset.

We're all roh fans
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

If you don't wanna be compared to the past, then be better than it. My timeline is going to articulate and pontificate on why it used to be better, no matter how hard AEW tries to replicate that feeling.
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

AnHonorableMention wrote: Sat Feb 19, 2022 2:53 pm The actual new vision was we weren't given money from SBG to run for 4 months because we spent poorly and made no money.
Would this be due to doing the morally responsible thing of empty arena events and rigid pandemic policies in order to wrestle?
Montana

Post by Montana »

EvanKnight wrote: Sat Feb 19, 2022 7:41 am Listening to the FB live it struck me that this is probably going to be one of the most difficult shows in ROH history to book. Really one of the more difficult any company has had.

If it is too much like an ROH show, it’s not reimagined and people will complain. If it’s too different, it’s not really ROH and people will complain. The negative voices are almost guaranteed to be louder.

More important than any one match though, this show needs to reestablish the ROH brand. It needs to firmly embrace the vision of ROH, and I’m not really sure they have one.
I tend to agree. I’m thinking the new product will still have the lifeblood of ROH, with a heavier focus on wrestling, but with a fresher roster. I expect about 50% ROH originals. Not sure what the secret spice will be to make it different.

Seems like ROH is still on the fence with the pure title. I think originally they were not planning to use it, but now maybe they are changing their tune. Hoping we get a 20th anniversary show, and maybe past vs present.

At this point, I wouldn’t mind a merger with Impact or AEW. Would like to still see the brand, but with different leadership. Impact seems to have a good backstage team. AEW has the money and marketing.
AnHonorableMention

indyfan wrote: Sat Feb 19, 2022 3:00 pm
AnHonorableMention wrote: Sat Feb 19, 2022 2:49 pm

Whos Schwartz?
but its not lost on you that i could easily say all that about myself as well? Cary calls me every night and thanks me for being a true ROH historian and thanks me for loving ROH since 2006. im obviously joking ....

I just think this old school fan vs new school fan is complete bullshit. Both you and Supersonic have been riding that wave for a while. Its an elitist mindset.

We're all roh fans
I don't even know what you're aiming for with that first set of gibberish. The old ROHBot tag line is so appropriate. It's not old school vs. new school. It's uniqueness and innovation vs. soulless and repetitiveness. It's the mom & pop shop vs. corporate backwash. There's nothing elitist to thinking the product has lost it's luster.
Captain Podcast
AnHonorableMention

Montana wrote: Sat Feb 19, 2022 5:58 pm

I tend to agree. I’m thinking the new product will still have the lifeblood of ROH, with a heavier focus on wrestling, but with a fresher roster. I expect about 50% ROH originals. Not sure what the secret spice will be to make it different.

Seems like ROH is still on the fence with the pure title. I think originally they were not planning to use it, but now maybe they are changing their tune. Hoping we get a 20th anniversary show, and maybe past vs present.

At this point, I wouldn’t mind a merger with Impact or AEW. Would like to still see the brand, but with different leadership. Impact seems to have a good backstage team. AEW has the money and marketing.
The 20th anniversary is (checks calendar), Wednesday. It's too late for an anniversary show when you still don't even know what your company is going to look like. I've seen a lot of promotions come and go, this present pause or whatever rhetoric you want to call it as is H2-esque.
Captain Podcast
AnHonorableMention

supersonic wrote: Sat Feb 19, 2022 4:44 pm
AnHonorableMention wrote: Sat Feb 19, 2022 2:53 pm The actual new vision was we weren't given money from SBG to run for 4 months because we spent poorly and made no money.
Would this be due to doing the morally responsible thing of empty arena events and rigid pandemic policies in order to wrestle?
With the first two variants and vaccine levels, I'd have been fine with running a crowd that required vaccination for all to enter including talent + masking. I would be very firm in denying anyone without full vaccination from attending or working the show. You don't create a mandate and not enforce it.

This company lost money at the Garden, and was bleeding long before Covid.
Captain Podcast
Montana

Post by Montana »

AnHonorableMention wrote: Sat Feb 19, 2022 7:18 pm

The 20th anniversary is (checks calendar), Wednesday. It's too late for an anniversary show when you still don't even know what your company is going to look like. I've seen a lot of promotions come and go, this present pause or whatever rhetoric you want to call it as is H2-esque.
You can celebrate an anniversary, after the fact. Just do it before the 21st. Some companies celebrate milestone anniversaries for a full year, as a promotion.

What’s H2-Esque?
AnHonorableMention

Montana wrote: Sat Feb 19, 2022 7:46 pm

You can celebrate an anniversary, after the fact. Just do it before the 21st. Some companies celebrate milestone anniversaries for a full year, as a promotion.

What’s H2-Esque?
So have an anniversary show to have an anniversary show? This current regime doesn't give a shit about anniversary shows.

Google H2 wrestling.
Captain Podcast
Montana

Post by Montana »

AnHonorableMention wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 4:41 pm

What’s H2-Esque?
So have an anniversary show to have an anniversary show? This current regime doesn't give a shit about anniversary shows.

Google H2 wrestling.
I would have defended the company a few days ago; that they do care about anniversaries and held my tongue. I do think the time may come to run an anniversary show; but as of today; BASICALLY no reference to today, being the 20 year anniversary today. They did tweet it; within a post about Supercard of Honor. They just didn't really do much; although that shouldn't really be that surprising. Nothing on Youtube, nothing on their website.

Obviously the company is being "re-imagined" but seems like a simple way and great day to bring some buzz back to your promotion before SOH/return. Even just running like the top 20 matches in ROH history on Youtube or something. Another missed opportunity; but maybe they got some stuff up their sleeve in the upcoming weeks.
AnHonorableMention

Montana wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 3:02 pm
AnHonorableMention wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 4:41 pm

What’s H2-Esque?

Google H2 wrestling.
I would have defended the company a few days ago; that they do care about anniversaries and held my tongue. I do think the time may come to run an anniversary show; but as of today; BASICALLY no reference to today, being the 20 year anniversary today. They did tweet it; within a post about Supercard of Honor. They just didn't really do much; although that shouldn't really be that surprising. Nothing on Youtube, nothing on their website.

Obviously the company is being "re-imagined" but seems like a simple way and great day to bring some buzz back to your promotion before SOH/return. Even just running like the top 20 matches in ROH history on Youtube or something. Another missed opportunity; but maybe they got some stuff up their sleeve in the upcoming weeks.
Stockholm syndrome.
Captain Podcast
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

I just want this to end up in the Khan family's hands already so someone with the resources AND passion for the legacy will do something substantial with it.
AnHonorableMention

supersonic wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 11:41 pm I just want this to end up in the Khan family's hands already so someone with the resources AND passion for the legacy will do something substantial with it.
Patience...

There is a lot and I mean a lot of people that hold ROH in greater value at AEW than it appears the people who work for Sinclair do. But as I've learned you cannot force the sale of the boat if the captain doesn't think the boat is sinking.
Captain Podcast
indyfan

Post by indyfan »

Big news about SCOH coming tomorrow.

ROH ROH ROH ROH ROH ROH

best company to ever exist!!!!!!!
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

Johnny Gargano is now taking bookings.
Montana

Post by Montana »

Ian said that two wrestlers who will be debuting for ROH; at Supercard of Honor would be announced tomorrow night.