Supercard Of Honor 2022 - April 1st - Discussion

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
tigermask7.0

Re: Supercard Of Honor 2022 - April 1st - Discussion

Post by tigermask7.0 »

Bandido lost (non-title match?) to Blake Christian at some GCW event.
Blake Christian is challenging Jonathan Gresham for ROH title at The WRLD On GCW.

Whoever walks out of the Hammerstein Ballroom/NYC with the ROH Championship is the linear champion ... regardless of belt.

Terminus is parallel universe stuff.
It's not easy being the Greatest 7th generation wrestler Of All Time!
Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine »

tigermask7.0 wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 3:05 pm Bandido lost (non-title match?) to Blake Christian at some GCW event.
Blake Christian is challenging Jonathan Gresham for ROH title at The WRLD On GCW.

Whoever walks out of the Hammerstein Ballroom/NYC with the ROH Championship is the linear champion ... regardless of belt.

Terminus is parallel universe stuff.
Which is funny because Gresham did a double-pin with Alexander at Terminus for seemingly no reason. Are they jobbing the champs out on purpose, or does the office just not care?
kovs27

Post by kovs27 »

This is something I've noticed as more shows have been announced for the weekend. Joey Janela's Spring Break is going to be on Thursday 3/31 and and GCW announced The Wrld on Lucha (a lucha libre themed show) for 9pm on Friday. This show would go on during Supercard but most likely not include a lot fo GCW regulars. This could make guys like Tony Deppen, Chris Dickinson (if healthy), Alex Zayne and Blake Christian available to work for ROH that night.
AnHonorableMention

Post by AnHonorableMention »

kovs27 wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 4:01 pm This is something I've noticed as more shows have been announced for the weekend. Joey Janela's Spring Break is going to be on Thursday 3/31 and and GCW announced The Wrld on Lucha (a lucha libre themed show) for 9pm on Friday. This show would go on during Supercard but most likely not include a lot fo GCW regulars. This could make guys like Tony Deppen, Chris Dickinson (if healthy), Alex Zayne and Blake Christian available to work for ROH that night.
Dickinson said he'd be doing Spring Break and working the other GCW shows as an agent. Dickinson, Zayne and Christian would all probably be doing the NJPW show that night or Impact. Deppen is could fit at the Lucha show due to his incredible adaptability. ROH would be best served to announce as much as possible right now.
Captain Podcast
Montana

Post by Montana »

AnHonorableMention wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 4:42 pm
kovs27 wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 4:01 pm This is something I've noticed as more shows have been announced for the weekend. Joey Janela's Spring Break is going to be on Thursday 3/31 and and GCW announced The Wrld on Lucha (a lucha libre themed show) for 9pm on Friday. This show would go on during Supercard but most likely not include a lot fo GCW regulars. This could make guys like Tony Deppen, Chris Dickinson (if healthy), Alex Zayne and Blake Christian available to work for ROH that night.
Dickinson said he'd be doing Spring Break and working the other GCW shows as an agent. Dickinson, Zayne and Christian would all probably be doing the NJPW show that night or Impact. Deppen is could fit at the Lucha show due to his incredible adaptability. ROH would be best served to announce as much as possible right now.
It's possible we see some talent NJPW and the ROH show. I assume some would work the strong tapings then Impact (Impact plus ppv?/tv taping?) Since it's at the same hotel.

Maybe i'm wrong; but seems like ROH will likely invest quite a bit into this show. They can't afford a flop. ROH is already on good terms with Impact/NJPW & GCW; so talent sharing isn't out of the question. MLW talent be in town. Dozens of WWE free agents. There still a lot of residual ROH talent not signed. The ROH Hall of Fame is starting. There's going to be plenty of talent available. Certainly you want the best, and to book the best talent early for early ticket sales.

As a stand alone PPV viewing on TV; i would expect a very good card. As a ticket purchaser; i'd be optimistic because ROH told us they released their roster; then announce the show; which kinda leaves the fans wonder who/what this show will be like.

Could see some/most of those names Kovs mentioned; being a bigger part of ROH's rebuild.
AnHonorableMention

Montana wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 9:53 am
It's possible we see some talent NJPW and the ROH show. I assume some would work the strong tapings then Impact (Impact plus ppv?/tv taping?) Since it's at the same hotel.

Maybe i'm wrong; but seems like ROH will likely invest quite a bit into this show. They can't afford a flop. ROH is already on good terms with Impact/NJPW & GCW; so talent sharing isn't out of the question. MLW talent be in town. Dozens of WWE free agents. There still a lot of residual ROH talent not signed. The ROH Hall of Fame is starting. There's going to be plenty of talent available. Certainly you want the best, and to book the best talent early for early ticket sales.

As a stand alone PPV viewing on TV; i would expect a very good card. As a ticket purchaser; i'd be optimistic because ROH told us they released their roster; then announce the show; which kinda leaves the fans wonder who/what this show will be like.

Could see some/most of those names Kovs mentioned; being a bigger part of ROH's rebuild.
Tickets have been on sale and not a word has been mentioned about how they've moved. If they've moved well you'd have heard about it from ROH. Anything to stay in the news like this HOF coincidently a week after the indie HOF was done. They should have talent already booked and announced with graphics for individuals and tag teams. Absolutely poor effort.
Captain Podcast
Montana

Post by Montana »

AnHonorableMention wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 5:25 pm
Tickets have been on sale and not a word has been mentioned about how they've moved. If they've moved well you'd have heard about it from ROH. Anything to stay in the news like this HOF coincidently a week after the indie HOF was done. They should have talent already booked and announced with graphics for individuals and tag teams. Absolutely poor effort.
ROH hasn't been vocal about ticket sales in a long time. I'm sure they haven't moved that well; because of the reasons we've already discussed. (Lack of clear messaging of what ROH is now / not ideal location / competition same day/time)

While yes, it was coincidental about the HOF; for all we know ROH has the HOF plan for quite some time; just never announced it. That would be my guess. You wanted all the names / graphics of wrestlers for the Hall of Fame to already be announced? Or Supercard?

At least ROH did announce Jonathan Gresham vs. Bandido at Supercard; which i believe is the first mania weekend match announced. I think they still need to either say what this new ROH will be ; OR start announcing guys like EC3 / Braun or people like Samoa Joe / Homicide or guys like Deppen / Dickinson or Rhett/ Tracey Williams, to give people an idea what what they are working towards. Think everyone knew that match was already happening, but nice to confirm it. I could see just a random mix of wrestlers coming in/out for a while.

As for the Hall of Fame; i think announcing 1 wrestler/team per week; is fine. Very similar to WWE. Dedicate an hour of TV to them. I wasn't sure when ROH was actually having their HOF; i think i just assumed it was mania weekend. That's already a crowded space.
Shanahan

Post by Shanahan »

Glad to see you are as cheerful as ever.
AnHonorableMention

Montana wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 9:43 am ROH hasn't been vocal about ticket sales in a long time. I'm sure they haven't moved that well; because of the reasons we've already discussed. (Lack of clear messaging of what ROH is now / not ideal location / competition same day/time)

While yes, it was coincidental about the HOF; for all we know ROH has the HOF plan for quite some time; just never announced it. That would be my guess. You wanted all the names / graphics of wrestlers for the Hall of Fame to already be announced? Or Supercard?

At least ROH did announce Jonathan Gresham vs. Bandido at Supercard; which i believe is the first mania weekend match announced. I think they still need to either say what this new ROH will be ; OR start announcing guys like EC3 / Braun or people like Samoa Joe / Homicide or guys like Deppen / Dickinson or Rhett/ Tracey Williams, to give people an idea what what they are working towards. Think everyone knew that match was already happening, but nice to confirm it. I could see just a random mix of wrestlers coming in/out for a while.

As for the Hall of Fame; i think announcing 1 wrestler/team per week; is fine. Very similar to WWE. Dedicate an hour of TV to them. I wasn't sure when ROH was actually having their HOF; i think i just assumed it was mania weekend. That's already a crowded space.
When there's nothing to boast about they're not going to do speak about it. When NJPW and the Elite help them sell out the Garden they'll tell the world.

No issues on HOF roll out, but dedicating a month of TV to that and then a short build to your "comeback" in a weekend of a zillion shows, is bad business. The lineup of talent should have come first, then you get people interested, then you drop the title match, then you announce 2 secondary matches days apart and then the HOF shows while finding room to build to Supercard. It's not rocket science.
Captain Podcast
AnHonorableMention

Shanahan wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 11:37 am

Glad to see you are as cheerful as ever.
Thanks mark.
Captain Podcast
Montana

Post by Montana »

AnHonorableMention wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 7:00 pm
Montana wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 9:43 am ROH hasn't been vocal about ticket sales in a long time. I'm sure they haven't moved that well; because of the reasons we've already discussed. (Lack of clear messaging of what ROH is now / not ideal location / competition same day/time)

When there's nothing to boast about they're not going to do speak about it. When NJPW and the Elite help them sell out the Garden they'll tell the world.

No issues on HOF roll out, but dedicating a month of TV to that and then a short build to your "comeback" in a weekend of a zillion shows, is bad business. The lineup of talent should have come first, then you get people interested, then you drop the title match, then you announce 2 secondary matches days apart and then the HOF shows while finding room to build to Supercard. It's not rocket science.

I think any company would boast about selling out the garden, even with help from NJPW/ Elite. It's the first time a non-wwe show has done it ; in 20/30/40 years. Let alone a company who started in a gym.

The HOF TV doesn't sting as much if you still have ROH week by week. They could have matches from GCW/Impact/Terminus on Week by Week and leave TV for the HOF stuff; with some hype for Supercard. Not having Week by week; seems like things may get smashed into MAR TV leading into Supercard.

Completely agree; they gotta start announcing some talent and then some matches. The biggest ROH fans; have no idea what's the new direction. So not sure how you'd draw in others without it. I gotta think we hear more between now-mid FEB either some talent, or vision for the company.
AnHonorableMention

Montana wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 2:04 pm

I think any company would boast about selling out the garden, even with help from NJPW/ Elite. It's the first time a non-wwe show has done it ; in 20/30/40 years. Let alone a company who started in a gym.

The HOF TV doesn't sting as much if you still have ROH week by week. They could have matches from GCW/Impact/Terminus on Week by Week and leave TV for the HOF stuff; with some hype for Supercard. Not having Week by week; seems like things may get smashed into MAR TV leading into Supercard.

Completely agree; they gotta start announcing some talent and then some matches. The biggest ROH fans; have no idea what's the new direction. So not sure how you'd draw in others without it. I gotta think we hear more between now-mid FEB either some talent, or vision for the company.
Here's the thing re: selling out the Garden, fans thought the Elite would be there and the draw was NJPW. ROH just happened to be the American liaison to the building and have lawyers to keep the show going. Credit should not be distributed just to ROH.

In the old days people would film their own stuff and send it in. Briscoes do the best job of anyone at doing that. You could have talent making challenges via twitter, facebook, instagram, etc. posted to the website instead it's a guessing game of who is going to be there. This is not a 500 seat Mystery Vortex show.
Captain Podcast
EvanKnight

Post by EvanKnight »

There are 8 weeks between now and the show. They are not going to produce 8 weeks worth of build to a card while on hiatus, hell they hardly did that during their best period. Most of your criticisms are really against taking a hiatus, which is a moot point, and honestly probably the best case outcome given what Sinclair was dealing with.

They publicly stated they weren't doing new content and would be putting old footage on TV during Q1, to roll out a 20th Anniversary Hall of Fame and use that as the reason to show old footage is really much better business than I expected.

As someone else mentioned, they were first to promote a match, and (poorly) promoted their main event. They need to be releasing content and creating a buzz closer to the show ( yes, in a perfect world in would be 2 shows a week for the 8 weeks hyping it). Pushing out info now and then just letting it fall flat heading into the show would be a much worse strategy.
AnHonorableMention

EvanKnight wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 10:26 am

There are 8 weeks between now and the show. They are not going to produce 8 weeks worth of build to a card while on hiatus, hell they hardly did that during their best period. Most of your criticisms are really against taking a hiatus, which is a moot point, and honestly probably the best case outcome given what Sinclair was dealing with.

They publicly stated they weren't doing new content and would be putting old footage on TV during Q1, to roll out a 20th Anniversary Hall of Fame and use that as the reason to show old footage is really much better business than I expected.

As someone else mentioned, they were first to promote a match, and (poorly) promoted their main event. They need to be releasing content and creating a buzz closer to the show ( yes, in a perfect world in would be 2 shows a week for the 8 weeks hyping it). Pushing out info now and then just letting it fall flat heading into the show would be a much worse strategy.
This is the most important show in company history. They should be going above and beyond. They won't. This is how this company operates and it's sad.
Captain Podcast
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

I'll only tune in if the main event also features Bandido's buddy Travis Banks and Gresham's buddy Moose. #SpeakingOut
Montana

Post by Montana »

AnHonorableMention wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 4:52 pm

This is the most important show in company history. They should be going above and beyond. They won't. This is how this company operates and it's sad.
Well, we are about 6-7 weeks away; and other than the main event; we have no idea what this "re-imagined" company will look like. No news on signing any backstage help, and/or wrestlers. They've basically been focusing on the Hall of Fame.

I know they said they were going to air matches from ROH wrestlers in other promotions (at some point) so i assume that's after March.

Can we at least get a few of the wrestlers scheduled to appear at Supercard?? No clue what their plan to return to a normal schedule would be. At this point; seems like they may try for another big show in the late Summer. No word on any future TV Tapings.

I wonder what the plan's to get some buzz around the promotion again. Especially after starting a Hall of Fame.
AnHonorableMention

Montana wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 4:59 am
Well, we are about 6-7 weeks away; and other than the main event; we have no idea what this "re-imagined" company will look like. No news on signing any backstage help, and/or wrestlers. They've basically been focusing on the Hall of Fame.

I know they said they were going to air matches from ROH wrestlers in other promotions (at some point) so i assume that's after March.

Can we at least get a few of the wrestlers scheduled to appear at Supercard?? No clue what their plan to return to a normal schedule would be. At this point; seems like they may try for another big show in the late Summer. No word on any future TV Tapings.

I wonder what the plan's to get some buzz around the promotion again. Especially after starting a Hall of Fame.

So let's take a look at what's gone from places they could be hyping this show;

ROH Strong (Eye roll) Podcast with that goof Kevin
Wednesday Women of Honor
Week by Week
ROH TV
ROHwrestling.com in which the last few stories were "HOF" related
Talent themselves

I am still not entirely convinced this show is even happening. This re-imagining is making the AWA Challenge Series look thoughtful. It's really sad.
Captain Podcast
Montana

Post by Montana »

AnHonorableMention wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 7:34 pm

Wednesday Women of Honor
Week by Week
ROH TV
Talent themselves

I am still not entirely convinced this show is even happening. This re-imagining is making the AWA Challenge Series look thoughtful. It's really sad.
Well... i could see the show still happening; but maybe the relaunch / re-imagining is further away. Koff did say they wouldn't rush it. In theory they had years to brainstorm ideas for this; so i assume they are holding their cards close. In reality; they should be more forthcoming; as this strategy hasn't worked for them. I just wouldn't see them doing a hall of fame now; just few for a few weeks of TV; only for end up folding. canceling more shows.
Shanahan

Post by Shanahan »

Wednesday Women of Honor
Week by Week
ROH TV
Talent themselves

"Goof"....lmaoooooo. You cant help yourself huh?
AnHonorableMention

Montana wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 9:03 am

Wednesday Women of Honor
Week by Week
ROH TV
Talent themselves

Well... i could see the show still happening; but maybe the relaunch / re-imagining is further away. Koff did say they wouldn't rush it. In theory they had years to brainstorm ideas for this; so i assume they are holding their cards close. In reality; they should be more forthcoming; as this strategy hasn't worked for them. I just wouldn't see them doing a hall of fame now; just few for a few weeks of TV; only for end up folding. canceling more shows.

Why run the show if the relaunch isn't ready? How dumb business wise is that? Sending mixed messages and not promoting is for business if there is one. Cary's ownership ran on a half shoe string budget and promoted the hell out of everything. This is a billion dollar company and they're asleep.
Captain Podcast