Supercard Of Honor 2022 - April 1st - Discussion

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
Montana

Supercard Of Honor 2022 - April 1st - Discussion

Post by Montana »

Ring of Honor returns to live wrestling with Supercard of Honor - slated for Friday, April 1 at the Curtis Culwell Center in Dallas-Fort Worth.

Tickets for the annual pay-per-view extravaganza go on sale Friday, Jan. 21 at 11 a.m. Eastern/10 a.m. Central for HonorClub members, and Friday, Jan. 28 at 11 a.m. Eastern/10 a.m. Central for the general public.

Since 2006, Supercard of Honor has been the stage for some of ROH’s most memorable and historic matches featuring the best wrestlers on the planet.

Keep it locked into ROHWrestling.com and ROH’s social media channels for Supercard of Honor announcements.

ROH PRESENTS SUPERCARD OF HONOR
FRIDAY, APRIL 1
BELL TIME: 7 P.M CT
CURTIS CULWELL CENTER
4999 NAAMAN FOREST BLVD.
GARLAND, TX 75040

Tickets go on Sales this Friday. *** Main Event being announced this Friday ***

Rumored/Likely Talent:

Jonathan Gresham
Bandido
The Briscoes
Deonna Purrazzo
Shanahan

Re: Supercard Of Honor 2022 - April 1st - Discussion

Post by Shanahan »

The main event announced on Friday will show you where the new era is going…..

Hint: What’s new isn’t gone.
kovs27

Post by kovs27 »

Shanahan wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 4:37 pm The main event announced on Friday will show you where the new era is going…..

I was thinking Gresham vs Bandido but now you have me all sorts of confused.
Shanahan

Post by Shanahan »

kovs27 wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 5:00 pm
Shanahan wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 4:37 pm The main event announced on Friday will show you where the new era is going…..

I was thinking Gresham vs Bandido but now you have me all sorts of confused.
Not saying that won’t happen.
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

🤔🤔🤔🤔 hummm
EvanKnight

Post by EvanKnight »

They should have made it a ladder match for the belts. It would have added a little drama, and I think it would be cool to see a match more in line with the old Razor/Shawn or Bret/Shawn instead of the wild hardcore spectacle that they’ve become.
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

Jonathan Gresham and Bandido each believe they are the true ROH World Champion. At Supercard of Honor on Friday, April 1, they will square off to determine which of them is the undisputed ROH World Champion.

The highly anticipated winner-take-all match between Bandido – who possesses the most recent version of the ROH World Title belt – and Gresham – who possesses the original ROH World Title belt – will be one of the main events of the annual Supercard of Honor pay-per-view extravaganza at the Curtis Culwell Center in Dallas-Fort Worth.

Tickets for Supercard of Honor go on sale this Friday at 11 a.m. Eastern/10 a.m. Central for HonorClub members, and next Friday, Jan. 28 at 11 a.m. Eastern/10 a.m. Central for the general public.

Bandido had been scheduled to defend the ROH World Title against Gresham at Final Battle: End of an Era on Dec. 11, but Bandido tested positive for COVID-19 two days before the event.

AEW’s Jay Lethal replaced Bandido in the match, which was now for the original ROH World Title belt. Gresham defeated Lethal to become the champion.

Gresham has been defending the title (under Pure rules) in multiple promotions, but Bandido contends that he is still the rightful champion because he was never defeated for the title.

Things came to a head when Bandido confronted Gresham at Terminus’ debut show this past Sunday in Atlanta. The ROH Board of Directors subsequently signed the winner-take-all match for Supercard of Honor.

Bandido and Gresham have been in the ring together several times but this will be the first-ever one-on-one meeting between the sensational luchador and the outstanding technician, and the stakes couldn’t be any higher.

Who will leave Supercard of Honor as the undisputed ROH World Champion? Join us live in Dallas-Fort Worth to find out!

ROH PRESENTS SUPERCARD OF HONOR
FRIDAY, APRIL 1
BELL TIME: 7 P.M CT
CURTIS CULWELL CENTER
4999 NAAMAN FOREST BLVD.
GARLAND, TX 75040

ALREADY SIGNED:

WINNER-TAKE-ALL MATCH TO DETERMINE UNDISPUTED ROH WORLD CHAMPION
JONATHAN GRESHAM vs. BANDIDO
kovs27

Post by kovs27 »

Now that the most obvious match is out of the way I'm curious to see who else will be on the show. I feel like those matches will be a better answer of what to expect from ROH in the future.
Shanahan

Post by Shanahan »

Title vs Title is not the Match I was talking about.

Look where it says "will be one of the main events"...next match announced will set the tone of the new era.
Montana

Post by Montana »

Shanahan wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 1:59 pm Title vs Title is not the Match I was talking about.

Look where it says "will be one of the main events"...next match announced will set the tone of the new era.
Hmm; you know something we don't?? Gresham vs. Bandido was pretty predictable. Double main event though... Hmm

Only other thing out there now is Briscoes vs. FTR. Could see that happening at GCW, AEW or ROH. AEW probably most likley, but maybe all 3.

Then a very outside change we see someone like Samoa Joe / Keith Lee in a "dream" match. Not sure what else would be Main Event Worthy.
maxx_powerz

Post by maxx_powerz »

Anyone else annoyed with the cutesy wording that doesn't acknowledge who the "real" champion is. Like, call Gresham the interim champ or call Bandido the self-proclaimed champ but this old belt, new belt stuff just makes it sound like they don't know or care who their actual champion is.
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

maxx_powerz wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 5:30 pm Anyone else annoyed with the cutesy wording that doesn't acknowledge who the "real" champion is. Like, call Gresham the interim champ or call Bandido the self-proclaimed champ but this old belt, new belt stuff just makes it sound like they don't know or care who their actual champion is.
No.
kovs27

Post by kovs27 »

maxx_powerz wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 5:30 pm Anyone else annoyed with the cutesy wording that doesn't acknowledge who the "real" champion is. Like, call Gresham the interim champ or call Bandido the self-proclaimed champ but this old belt, new belt stuff just makes it sound like they don't know or care who their actual champion is.
I think technically both are champions. Bandido never lost not was his stripped of his title and Gresham won a different title due to circumstances.
ICHIFUJI

Post by ICHIFUJI »

No anniversary show ?
EvanKnight

Post by EvanKnight »

I wouldn’t say “annoyed “, but your not wrong. It is kind of weak, inconsistent story telling, that is a big part of the ROH problem. Either Bandido was stripped or he wasn’t, or Gresham is an “interim” champ or he isn’t. Unless there is some board room battle behind the scenes, then the company should know who is the champ. It’s harder to get behind, or get lost/invested in stories that do t hold water on a basic surface level.
Lynx

Post by Lynx »

I think nobody cares at this point who the real champ is.
Montana

Post by Montana »

Lynx wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 5:05 am I think nobody cares at this point who the real champ is.
Well... I would tend to agree but with the premises of what's going on with the company is more important than the belt. They've given some vague statements; and to be fair; they did say they'd return for supercard the whole time. But the rest; of taking time and re-imagining the company. Final Battle had the "last" champions. Then main event with two guys that were already a big part of the old ROH. (Im not mad; but if you say your going to re-imagine it; then don't .. its misleading)

The double champions; is just another example; of the lack of clarity. Like Bandido wasn't ROH champ at GCW; and Gresham was. But at Terminus both were champs defending their belts. Gresham also defending the belt in Impact. Feels like Gresham is the real champ; when Bandido never lost.

Briscoes and GCW is kind of interesting too. Sometimes they defend the ROH titles; other times it's the GCW tag titles.

I do like how they've had traveling champions.
Montana

Post by Montana »

ICHIFUJI wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 4:35 am No anniversary show ?
What i think they will do, or should do; is have supercard; then in July/August ; maybe aorund Summerslam or All Out; build your next PPV around the 20th anniversary show. Make a past vs. present show. We'll see though. I'd be surprised they don't try and cash in on that though.
McXal
Donator
Donator

Post by McXal »

It’s worth pointing out that ROH’s own website recognises Gresham as the World Champion - not Bandido. I do think they would benefit from emphasising that more. Bandido can still carry around the belt, defend it if he wants - but I think it becomes a lot more relatable - and actually something fans can more easily invest in if you make it clear that a) Gresham IS the champion, b) that’s unfair on Bandido who never lost, still carries his title and feels he has been unfairly treated…therefore c) they will meet at Supercard to determine an undisputed champion. It’s only a small distinction, but for me this duelling World Champions (where one/both are or aren’t recognised dependent on which promotion it is) is hindering things more than helping.

I think it was a salient point made earlier that in this early stage of the ‘re-imagining’, thus far it doesn’t look or feel much different. Looking forward to this ‘big announcement’ next week!
AnHonorableMention

Post by AnHonorableMention »

Lynx wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 5:05 am I think nobody cares at this point who the real champ is.
Agreed. This is the right point. Having too many singles titles, no synergy between the characters, building up to one show and losing the main event with zero follow up, and then realizing only one of the two "ROH Champions" is going to head to another promotion. It's sad, the most important title in wrestling now is just a floating prop tossed into the middle of shows. It's still the fallout from the choice in putting the belt on Taven at the Garden. No matter what Supercard is or this supposed big match that's going to be announced, this isn't a full time promotion anymore so what made ROH special doesn't exist. The fanbase has found other shiny objects. Management both creative and executive have alienated the core fanbase long enough it's too little, too late.
Captain Podcast