RIP Jimmy Rave

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
DougN

RIP Jimmy Rave

Post by DougN »

Very sad news today. I wish wrestling could have given back to him everything he put into it.

RIP. Thanks for letting me throw toilet paper at you in Virginia once.
I've got over 400 ROH DVDs for sale from 2002 to 2018! Let me know if you are looking for any! Can ship anywhere in the world.
indyfan

Re: RIP Jimmy Rave

Post by indyfan »

Absolutely heart breaking. RIP Crown Jewel
AnHonorableMention

Post by AnHonorableMention »

Not that any more than a few of you know but I wrote this on facebook. A lot of our mutual friends are really hurting right now. Just so sad.

For my friend, Jimmy Rave love & mercy.
It’s an odd day. I got up this morning, earlier than normal. I worked on organizing my client folders, something I’d neglected for a month or so now. New labels and clear plastic folders for everybody (not shrimp cocktail). A rusted mid 70’s filing cabinet away from being a real office.
I then set out to my surgeon to see if she can solve the maniacal ankle issues I’ve been having since I had some bone chips removed in October. Spoiler alert, she didn’t. When I left to go to the gym I heard the news. News I didn’t want to hear but glad that it was delivered directly by my friend Rhett Titus who for some reason delivers sad news with a sense of decency and compassion.
Jimmy Rave was one of the absolute most interesting people I ever got to know in wrestling. I know some will eye roll that but he truly had one of the best minds and commitment to his character of anyone I’ve ever seen do what they do. He’d flash that cocky smile and fans hated him so much they’d throw toilet paper at him to the point he could catch it and launch it back with his eyes closed. He was the Crown Jewel of Prince Nana’s Embassy faction in Ring of Honor. He never broke character, ever. I’ve seen the best in the world up close and personal, break when a fan has said something funny or caught them off guard, or the individual in question did something so goofy they popped themselves. When Nana, exited Ring of Honor and Jimmy struck out on his own as a heel character but with edge and a silent rage he really grew. He entered to House of the Rising Sun by the Animals. It was as electric as Kanye’s Diamonds are Forever. So different, yet so perfect. No more toilet paper, no more losses. No more of the single most ridiculous name for a move in wrestling history “Ghana-ria” (Named because Prince Nana hails from Ghana, so why not).” His heel hook meant, the end of the match. He had incredible matches with so many, be it tag or singles. The duo with Alex Shelley alongside Nana was the perfect trio. His reuniting with Sal Rinauro his real life best friend and often partner in comedic crime brought laughs and of course more toilet paper. I enjoyed those days and moments so much, looking back I never knew it could get taken away.
My favorite wrestling moment with Jimmy came at Ring of Honor’s 7th Anniversary Show at the Hammerstein in NYC. He was returning from his tour of duty at Impact Wrestling as Bison Smith(RIP) partner managed by Prince Nana to face American Dragon Bryan Danielson and his mystery partner a returning Colt Cabana. There was a specialness to the match because of the double return and incredible bump taken by Grizzly Redwood prior to the match. I watched this match today and instead of the ear to ear smile, I just was frozen because none of that entire segment, in 2021 seems real.
The matches with Nigel McGuinness, CM Punk, and AJ Styles were great but Jimmy’s best matches came on the indies when he was an in ring teacher for younger guys like Jordan Oliver, Johnny Gargano, Chase Owens, Corey Hollis, AC Mack, and Anthony Henry. My last conversation with Jimmy took place in early November. He asked I help make it known how much he missed coaching and how excited he was to get back out and agent matches when he was feeling better. He sounded weak but determined to make this happen and honestly it fired me up to do my best to see this actually come true.
Jimmy could have been ultra negative considering his legs had been amputated and prior to that he had lost an arm. He never was negative or mad talking with me. His addiction issues ended his career in the ring but he still wanted to give.
When Shane Hagadorn and I had Jimmy on two episodes of our podcast, people got to hear the side of Jimmy Rave that few knew. The teacher, the comedian, the brilliant impersonator, the guy who had a brain to book and a passion for the business. I first met Jimmy Rave at some point in 2004, I genuinely felt like he trusted me to not reveal that he was not the arrogant prick heel he portrayed himself to be. To this point he never attended post show parties or ever came to the bar that I recall. That was rare for the group that ROH had at the time.
If there’s one thing about Jimmy Rave I’ll remember above the stories and matches it’s that he knew he wasn’t perfect but he tried to be, before it was not possible. He gave so much of his knowledge away for free even inviting me to any show he worked on to watch what the agenting process was like for him. When you open that door for someone like me, that’s something I’ll always appreciate because there is nothing more in life I wanted to do other than to make paying customers smile, and react.
Jimmy Rave was more than a wrestler and a “brother” to people in wrestling. He was a father of two. He was a teacher, he was someone who fought addiction just as hard as he fought for those fans to boo him. He was councilor to others battling the same addictions he did. He continued to give back when even he would tell you he had nothing left. In my life I’ve been incredibly blessed to be around so many people in the wrestling industry. Many of whom are incredibly successful and on national tv every week, Jimmy Rave never got there in its current form, but I’ll be damned if there’s someone out there who was better, that the timing just never fit. Every week the Ring of Honor legacy talents show up on TNT and soon to be TBS, Jimmy Rave is there in spirit.
Diamonds are Forever, so is the Embassy. If you were Jimmy Rave approved, if you knew James Guffey you were fortunate. He was my friend. I will miss him very much. Goodbye for now my friend, I hope you have found the peace you always sought.
I’ve included below the lyrics to “House of the Rising Sun” by The Animals. I think it may the the most appropriate song for a person, used by someone who happens to be a pro wrestler.
———
There is a house in New Orleans
They call the Rising Sun
And it's been the ruin of many a poor boy
And God, I know I'm one
[Verse 1]
My mother was a tailor
She sewed my new blue jeans
My father was a gamblin' man
Down in New Orleans
[Verse 2]
Now the only thing a gambler needs
Is a suitcase and a trunk
And the only time he'll be satisfied
Is when he's all drunk
[Organ Solo]
[Verse 3]
Oh, mother, tell your children
Not to do what I have done
Spend your lives in sin and misery
In the House of the Rising Sun
[Verse 4]
Well, I got one foot on the platform
The other foot on the train
I'm goin' back to New Orleans
To wear that ball and chain
[Chorus]
Well, there is a house in New Orleans
They call the Rising Sun
And it's been the ruin of many a poor boy
And God, I know I'm one
Captain Podcast
Montana

Post by Montana »

Very sad news. Best wishes to his family.
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

Just leaving a quick comment on here, that once I'm less busy, there will be much more to say about this incredibly gifted performer and the legacy he's left behind, particularly in ROH. When I have time to process this one, there's no doubt it'll hit me harder than Xavier's passing.
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

supersonic

Post by supersonic »

ROH has paid tribute to Rave with a gem of a trios match from the Embassy's peak era.

Trios Tournament Final
Jack Evans, Jimmy Yang, & Matt Sydal vs. Abyss, Jimmy Rave, & Alex Shelley
Tag Wars 2006 - January 27, 2006
NO PRE-MATCH OR POST-MATCH SHOWN
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r6hNZLD-2bE
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

MEMORIAL SERVICE INFO. I certainly wish I could've held off on my recent road trip through ATL for this one.
Kailah [Guffey] sent you a thank you for donating to Jimmy Rave Memorial

Thank you all so much for the donations that were given. It means so much to see and hear how much my dad has impacted so many. I love and miss him every day. The memorial will be held on February 6th, 2022 at Lakepoint Sports Champion Center located at 261 Stars Way, Cartersville, GA 30121. The Memorial will be open to the public from 2-5pm.

If you have any photos or videos that you would like to be included in the memorial service, please email your photos/videos to info@thejimmyrave.com for a chance to have your pictures or videos included in the presentation shown at his memorial on February 6th. Please visit thejimmyrave.com for more information! PLEASE SHARE! I would love as much content as possible.

You can email me if you have any questions at info@thejimmyrave.com! Again, thank you so much for all the help so far, and I hope to see many of you at the memorial service.

Kailah Guffey