Final Battle - End of an Era Thread

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
Montana

Re: Final Battle - End of an Era Thread

Post by Montana »

AnHonorableMention wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 9:34 am
Montana wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 9:19 am
Wavelet Transform wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 7:35 am
Disagree on Strowman. That moment had an Enzo/Cass in MSG vibe to it for me. Also feels like misstep to pair the young, home-grown talents w/ EC3. Johnson esp. doesn't need to be in a faction. Maybe it will work out for Draper, who's done absolutely nothing since being paired w/ Dalton. He's decent in the ring and has been amusing on guest commentary, so he's clearly capable of more.
I don't see how ROH using a Enzo/Cass or Bruan is any different than any other promotion with one-off appearances... Yet ROH/Wrestling fans are still giving ROH heat on it years later. Like GCW just announced Kevin Nash , Sabu, and Ricky Morton for a show; and fans love it. I'm sure there are other cases with all the promotions. Impact brought in a kiss demon... i haven't heard their fans bitching about it. AEW is having matches with Billy Gunn and Sting that are a combined age of 110 and fans love it. Luther is still on the roster.

ROH does these rare/sparingly and they get crucified for it. Doesn;t seem fair. How many other promotions today are jumping to feature guys like Tyler Rust, Tracy Williams, Tony Deppen etc on their roster. ROH does this; and yet we are talking about the segments less than like 5 minutes.. not even a match.

Side note: we haven't even seen what Braun can do outside of WWE. I'm sure he's no technical wrestling expert; but IF ROH or any promotion picked him up; i assume he'd just be used like a beast; who chops/suplex/kills his opponents. It's not like the guy is canceled for the speaking out movement. Someone should give him a shot; and see what he can do. He literally should still be able to draw some fans; and could still be a big star in the business. For his size; he's quite athletic too. Not saying ROH is the right home for him; BUT it's literally a one off... i thought it was pretty cool to see.
Kevin Nash and sabu aren’t wrestling. They’re being honored by the promotion in their home town. Ricky Morton can still go, in bursts and he’ll likely be hidden well as he has been at GCW.

Braun was wwe champ during the lowest watched wwe show of all time (raw/smackdown only). He’s a literal safety hazard that makes Brent Albright look like he’s managed properly by osha.

As for the Billy Gunn/sting comparisons this is akin to comparing the lakers signing Carmelo at 38 and playing him limited minutes to not using some guy from the g league. Those two are legends. Luther is a comedy act. Big difference is how people are used.
Kevin Nash/Sabu aren't wrestling... neither was Bruan. Ricky Morton will be hidden... OK

Braun was still a WWE champ (in the last decade) ; and WWE's stale booking is the main reason for their steep decline. It's not like he's specifically the reason ratings were down. They've been declining for like 15 years straight.

Billy Gunn hasn't been relevent in like 20+ years; and still not relevant. Sting at least is a legend.. The big difference was how people were used... so you didn't like that the Titan beat up Eli Isom in a very short segment.

To each his own i guess... rationalizing other promotions seems like more than a stretch. Anyone can nit pick; any thing i guess.
Shanahan

Post by Shanahan »

AnHonorableMention wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 9:57 am
Lynx wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 9:54 am I would have preferred if that segment didn't exist, but I don't really understand why people are comparing it to Enzo/Cass. It didn't ruin a match and I haven't heard anything bad about Braun as a person. Main problem with that segment was EC3, not Braun.
He’s a maga supporting douche bag
If we are going by this standard you may be in for a shock.
NewROHFan2020

Post by NewROHFan2020 »

Shanahan wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 10:38 am
Lynx wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 9:54 am I would have preferred if that segment didn't exist, but I don't really understand why people are comparing it to Enzo/Cass. It didn't ruin a match and I haven't heard anything bad about Braun as a person. Main problem with that segment was EC3, not Braun.
AHM is a guy that judges rasslin on politics and his friendships. It’s a sad world when you can’t look past someone’s political favorites and die on that hill.
Lynx

Post by Lynx »

Yeah, voting for Trump is same as raping kids these days.
AnHonorableMention

Post by AnHonorableMention »

Oh pray tell king maga defender of who else is allegedly among your racist and stupid ranks?
Captain Podcast
AnHonorableMention

NewROHFan2020 wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 11:14 am

AHM is a guy that judges rasslin on politics and his friendships. It’s a sad world when you can’t look past someone’s political favorites and die on that hill.
Not accurate at all, but yeah I don’t support racists or trump supporters
Captain Podcast
AnHonorableMention

Lynx wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 11:48 am Yeah, voting for Trump is same as raping kids these days.
Not sure what one has to do with the other aside from trump and Epstein being best pals
Captain Podcast
Wavelet Transform

Post by Wavelet Transform »

Montana wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 9:19 am
Wavelet Transform wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 7:35 am
EvanKnight wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 5:09 am

EC3’s promo was too long and rambling, I don’t know more than half of what he said, and I don’t understand the character at all, but if you get the chance to have Stowman, you take it. And, this was a decent way to do it on paper. Just needed to be shorter and more to the point.
Disagree on Strowman. That moment had an Enzo/Cass in MSG vibe to it for me. Also feels like misstep to pair the young, home-grown talents w/ EC3. Johnson esp. doesn't need to be in a faction. Maybe it will work out for Draper, who's done absolutely nothing since being paired w/ Dalton. He's decent in the ring and has been amusing on guest commentary, so he's clearly capable of more.
I don't see how ROH using a Enzo/Cass or Bruan is any different than any other promotion with one-off appearances... Yet ROH/Wrestling fans are still giving ROH heat on it years later. Like GCW just announced Kevin Nash , Sabu, and Ricky Morton for a show; and fans love it. I'm sure there are other cases with all the promotions. Impact brought in a kiss demon... i haven't heard their fans bitching about it. AEW is having matches with Billy Gunn and Sting that are a combined age of 110 and fans love it. Luther is still on the roster.

ROH does these rare/sparingly and they get crucified for it. Doesn;t seem fair. How many other promotions today are jumping to feature guys like Tyler Rust, Tracy Williams, Tony Deppen etc on their roster. ROH does this; and yet we are talking about the segments less than like 5 minutes.. not even a match.

Side note: we haven't even seen what Braun can do outside of WWE. I'm sure he's no technical wrestling expert; but IF ROH or any promotion picked him up; i assume he'd just be used like a beast; who chops/suplex/kills his opponents. It's not like the guy is canceled for the speaking out movement. Someone should give him a shot; and see what he can do. He literally should still be able to draw some fans; and could still be a big star in the business. For his size; he's quite athletic too. Not saying ROH is the right home for him; BUT it's literally a one off... i thought it was pretty cool to see.
Three problems with Strowman for me:

1. We already know what he can do. WWE did a fine job of accentuating his positives (big, jacked, scary-looking) with the strongman stunts and gimmick matches and hid his weaknesses (everything other than being big, jacked, and scary-looking). He's not going to be able to do a lot of the expensive choreographed stunts he did in the fed. You'd have to use him like PCO for it to even have a chance of working, except unlike PCO, Strowman's opponents would be the ones taking the crazy bumps.

2. Resources that could have been used on others went to Strowman. Assume Strowman doesn't come cheap and last night hardly seems like a worthwhile return on investment. I'd have been way more excited for someone that's a better fit for ROH, e.g., Buddy Murphy. Or, how about multiple past ROH guys coming back to feud w/ Isom, Draper, and Johnson for causing the company to go on hiatus rather than the vague, boring control your narrative stuff?

3. He's not a good stylistic fit with the company. Strowman is 100% a WWE-style sports entertainer, the exact thing ROH was founded to be an alternative to. Ex-WWE'ers have always been dicey in ROH and when it works, it's because they have wrestling ability and work hard on the shows. Don't see that happening w/ Strowman.

I'll re-iterate that I thought last night's show was fantastic top-to-bottom. Enjoyed all the matches and really think ROH could have a great product with their current roster. The creative is not there at the moment though and ROH desperately needs to fix this if the relaunch is going to work.

Also, Rust, Tracy, and Deppen are all fantastic - would watch any promotion that prominently features them.
Shanahan

Post by Shanahan »

AnHonorableMention wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 12:10 pm

Oh pray tell king maga defender of who else is allegedly among your racist and stupid ranks?
Ah yes, because i'm not a fan of high taxes or burdensome regulations i must be a racist. You sound like a dumb fucking brainwashed teenager. Get out of the bubble.
AnHonorableMention

Shanahan wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 12:32 pm
AnHonorableMention wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 12:10 pm

Ah yes, because i'm not a fan of high taxes or burdensome regulations i must be a racist. You sound like a dumb fucking brainwashed teenager. Get out of the bubble.

Ah yes higher taxes my favorite Republican excuse because it’s a fox “news” talking point but isn’t accurate at all. Burdensome regulations like what?
Captain Podcast
Shanahan

Post by Shanahan »

AnHonorableMention wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 12:12 pm
Lynx wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 11:48 am Yeah, voting for Trump is same as raping kids these days.
Not sure what one has to do with the other aside from trump and Epstein being best pals
Guys..don't tell him about Bill Clinton and other democrats.
AnHonorableMention

Shanahan wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 12:43 pm

Political affiliations have nothing to do with the guilt. Considering what the testimony in both Epstein’s trial and Maxwell so far indicate nothing other than plane rides for Clinton. Keep digging.
Captain Podcast
Shanahan

Post by Shanahan »

AnHonorableMention wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 12:46 pm

Political affiliations have nothing to do with the guilt. Considering what the testimony in both Epstein’s trial and Maxwell so far indicate nothing other than plane rides for Clinton. Keep digging.
What about trump? Any epstein accusers say anything about him raping them? Any say he was on the island? 1 plane trip from ny to fl 20 years ago.. but yea he was raping underage girls for years with his best friend jeffrey and bill clinton was just looking for some flights. You are delusional.
AnHonorableMention

Shanahan wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 1:35 pm

What about trump? Any epstein accusers say anything about him raping them? Any say he was on the island? 1 plane trip from ny to fl 20 years ago.. but yea he was raping underage girls for years with his best friend jeffrey and bill clinton was just looking for some flights. You are delusional.

Still waiting for the tax breakdown and burdens. While public testimony word for word demolishes this nonsense. Ya boy dumpster diving Donnie is a pedo.! You don’t go get on the island to meet a 14 year old to talk Yankees baseball
Captain Podcast
Shanahan

Post by Shanahan »

AnHonorableMention wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 1:37 pm

Still waiting for the tax breakdown and burdens. While public testimony word for word demolishes this nonsense. Ya boy dumpster diving Donnie is a pedo.! You don’t go get on the island to meet a 14 year old to talk Yankees baseball
Everything you said right there is 100% a lie. Where do you get your news from? My god.

Plus, we have already talked about taxes and regulations months ago. I'm not repeating myself on that again. Go spread your misinformation to others i can't waste my time with you anymore....
AnHonorableMention

Shanahan wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 2:21 pm

Everything you said right there is 100% a lie. Where do you get your news from? My god.

Plus, we have already talked about taxes and regulations months ago. I'm not repeating myself on that again. Go spread your misinformation to others i can't waste my time with you anymore....

“I have no answers, I make up stuff but I’m a bullshit artist” - Shanahan
Captain Podcast
EvanKnight

Post by EvanKnight »

Strowman came in after a match as backup for a current wrestler whose been in every promotion, with a do your own thing gimmick while running is own side gig. That’s is nothing like doing a fake crowd mid-match interruption. Strowman mixing it up with the main event scene would have been bad, but him tossing around extras would have been pointless and done nothing for anyone.

I mean even Sid showing up was acceptable by the ECW faithful. The argument I can see is that it took time from the main event, but the way they set the shows, I doubt the main gets those 5 minutes even without that segment.
Wavelet Transform

Post by Wavelet Transform »

Cool shot:
https://twitter.com/ringofhonor/status/ ... 40/photo/1
Like the Brian Johnson scowl and the Chris Hero sighting!
Shanahan

Post by Shanahan »

AnHonorableMention wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 4:36 pm
Shanahan wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 2:21 pm

“I have no answers, I make up stuff but I’m a bullshit artist” - Shanahan
Holy shit..what is wrong with you? You claimed trump was on island raping underage girls and clinton was just getting a few flights....that is 100% false. If you believe that you are even more ignorant than i thought you were.

High Taxes and Regulations destroy growth. You add in billions in spending and the 6% inflation will be 15% by the summer. Good Night.
Lynx

Post by Lynx »

It is not surprising that person who has obnoxious wrestling views has also obnoxious political views.