Final Battle - End of an Era Thread

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
McXal
Donator
Donator

Re: Final Battle - End of an Era Thread

Post by McXal »

If they run that many matches on Hour One I’ll be surprised - but happily so as it does free up the card a little.

I always reference the 17th Anniversary Show as one of the best ROH PPV’s under the Sinclair era - and one of the reasons for that is that it had such a tight, loaded card with everything meeting or exceeding expectations (for the most part)

That show had 6 matches, one of which was an hour long so that sort of informs my opinion that 7 matches max is the sweet spot for a 3 hour PPV. Certainly by 2021 standards. This card just feels way too long

(And as pointed out in this thread - if they f*ck up time management and leave us with a Best In The World 2019 Taven/Cobb 8 minute main event situation for Bandido vs Gresham that really would be a fittingly farcical, poorly managed end to ROH(‘s “current era”)
Montana

Post by Montana »

I’m not surprised, they would want to use the whole roster as a farewell/close ups story arch’s.

I agree they need to put 2+ matches on the pre-show. I feel like the last few PPV’s have been timed pretty well, but your right they don’t want to cut any key matches short.
tigermask7.0

Post by tigermask7.0 »

I may go see Final Battle live in Baltimore. That being said. The one thing I noticed is that all the Road To Final Battle matches posted on YouTube are 12+ minutes. Haven't watched any yet ... but will binge watch them in the next 36 hours. The short duration of YouTube videos & matches on the Sinclair TV show might be a positive for Final Battle.
A lot of action in 7-12 minutes matches ... leaving time for the important matches. Whatever important means.
It's not easy being the Greatest 7th generation wrestler Of All Time!
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

fuck fuck fuck fuck.

Shanahan

Post by Shanahan »

Of fucking course. Unreal.
Wrestlingisback

Post by Wrestlingisback »

Tony Khan should be a pal and send Lethal.

Finish the Foundation story, have Gresham take it from the “Franchise” and become the new Franchise on the way out
indyfan

Post by indyfan »

Wow how fucked is that.....
Montana

Post by Montana »

Shanahan wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 3:29 pm Of fucking course. Unreal.

No Kidding... Fitting... What Luck.

I'd Put Brody King in the main event; and replace him in the 6 man with Dickinson. OR been saying they should end on a 3 way; like the first main event. Maybe do Gresham vs. Dragon Lee vs. Brody King.

Lethal and Gresham would be a great / fitting final match; but i'm just not digging how quick he left; and how he's been used the past 4-6 weeks. I'm not mad Lethal bolted; I'd just rather have that Danielson guy come back for one more; if there's an AEW guy to come in. I do like that "franchise" storyline though.
indyfan

Post by indyfan »

Dickinson has a broken leg
AnHonorableMention

Post by AnHonorableMention »

Wrestlingisback wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 4:37 pm Tony Khan should be a pal and send Lethal.

Finish the Foundation story, have Gresham take it from the “Franchise” and become the new Franchise on the way out
Or not. Can't think of a lesser deserving person to fight for the ROH World Title.

Gresham vs. Titus, this company has had someone on the roster who was in the crowd from the very first show, and wanted to be nothing more than an ROH Wrestler. Not WWE or Impact or even AEW. Just ROH. Time to reward the loyal soldier. Not saying that because he's my friend, I'm saying it because he's earned it.
Captain Podcast
indyfan

Post by indyfan »

AnHonorableMention wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 5:08 pm
Wrestlingisback wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 4:37 pm Tony Khan should be a pal and send Lethal.

Or not. Can't think of a lesser deserving person to fight for the ROH World Title.

Gresham vs. Titus, this company has had someone on the roster who was in the crowd from the very first show, and wanted to be nothing more than an ROH Wrestler. Not WWE or Impact or even AEW. Just ROH. Time to reward the loyal soldier. Not saying that because he's my friend, I'm saying it because he's earned it.
No offense to your friend, but that main event would be a let down. I dont want Lethal either though
Montana

Post by Montana »

Can’t argue Rhett hasn’t earned his spot, but at the same time he’s not really built up to be a challenger for the world title. Not sure if it really matters, if this is the last show, but hopefully you can send the fans home happy.

Gotta think the Tag Titles will close the show now.

At this point, they could shuffle the card around a fair amount if they wanted. Don’t think they will, but they could if they wanted. There’s more than a couple random matches, with top wrestlers.
AnHonorableMention

indyfan wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 5:39 pm

No offense to your friend, but that main event would be a let down. I dont want Lethal either though
Yes a great wrestling match battling over the title with a legit story. I realize we've become accustomed to mediocrity in ROH but the idea that would be a disappointment is absurd.
Captain Podcast
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

titus is a roh soldier but no thanks.
indyfan

Post by indyfan »

AnHonorableMention wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 5:59 pm

Yes a great wrestling match battling over the title with a legit story. I realize we've become accustomed to mediocrity in ROH but the idea that would be a disappointment is absurd.
you speak of mediocrity and you want to give a guy a main event spot whos never been built up to a suitable challenger for the World Title in his entire roh career.
Wrestlingisback

One of the most decorated wrestlers is the least deserving over a guy who has basically been ROHs Zack Ryder out of some misguided loyalty? Talk about settling for mediocrity.

Lethal is the one with the built in story, even moreso as the first guy to jump off the ship (would actually get some decent heat from the live audience) imo.
AnHonorableMention

indyfan wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 6:08 pm
AnHonorableMention wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 5:59 pm

you speak of mediocrity and you want to give a guy a main event spot whos never been built up to a suitable challenger for the World Title in his entire roh career.
Yet the story speaks for itself.
Captain Podcast
AnHonorableMention

Wrestlingisback wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 6:16 pm

One of the most decorated wrestlers is the least deserving over a guy who has basically been ROHs Zack Ryder out of some misguided loyalty? Talk about settling for mediocrity.

Lethal is the one with the built in story, even moreso as the first guy to jump off the ship (would actually get some decent heat from the live audience) imo.
You mean the same Zack Ryder having one of the hottest indy runs in years? Yeah these new gen ROH "fans" don't deserve an ROH.
Captain Podcast
Wrestlingisback

AnHonorableMention wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 6:42 pm

You mean the same Zack Ryder having one of the hottest indy runs in years? Yeah these new gen ROH "fans" don't deserve an ROH.
Ryder getting heat in the Indys off his history as a sports entertainment midcarder don’t work for Titus who has been a midcarder on the Indys. For some one who fancies himself the ROH historian with the adorable little podcast such a distinction would seem obvious.

New gen, old school or come in the middle. No one is trying to see Rhett Titus in the main event of arguably the last ROH show unless they have some personal ties to Rhett.

Oh wait…..
indyfan

Post by indyfan »

AnHonorableMention wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 6:42 pm

Stop with new gen vs old gen fans crap. you should be above that. it means nothing. It comes off juvenile

Ok ill bite whats the storyline here.....Rhett goes on about how he saw the first show and hes only wanted to be an ROH wrestler....and how does this relate to Gresham?

ive been watching ROH since 2005-2006. And even i cant see myself enjoying that match up.

id much rather it be Williams vs Gresham.