Final Battle - End of an Era Thread

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
AnHonorableMention

Re: Final Battle - End of an Era Thread

Post by AnHonorableMention »

Wrestlingisback wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 6:48 pm
AnHonorableMention wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 6:42 pm
Wrestlingisback wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 6:16 pm

One of the most decorated wrestlers is the least deserving over a guy who has basically been ROHs Zack Ryder out of some misguided loyalty? Talk about settling for mediocrity.

Lethal is the one with the built in story, even moreso as the first guy to jump off the ship (would actually get some decent heat from the live audience) imo.
You mean the same Zack Ryder having one of the hottest indy runs in years? Yeah these new gen ROH "fans" don't deserve an ROH.
Ryder getting heat in the Indys off his history as a sports entertainment midcarder don’t work for Titus who has been a midcarder on the Indys. For some one who fancies himself the ROH historian with the adorable little podcast such a distinction would seem obvious.

New gen, old school or come in the middle. No one is trying to see Rhett Titus in the main event of arguably the last ROH show unless they have some personal ties to Rhett.

Oh wait…..

Gotta love people taking childish pot shots at successful people who understand the business better than they could ever dream of. Nobody is trying to see ROH in 2021 or 2022 so why not reward your loyal soldier? Oh wait because some dipshit on the internet with no public profile said so. Cool story bro.
Captain Podcast
AnHonorableMention

indyfan wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 6:51 pm
Wrestlingisback wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 6:16 pm

One of the most decorated wrestlers is the least deserving over a guy who has basically been ROHs Zack Ryder out of some misguided loyalty? Talk about settling for mediocrity.

Lethal is the one with the built in story, even moreso as the first guy to jump off the ship (would actually get some decent heat from the live audience) imo.
You mean the same Zack Ryder having one of the hottest indy runs in years? Yeah these new gen ROH "fans" don't deserve an ROH.
Stop with new gen vs old gen fans crap. you should be above that. it means nothing. It comes off juvenile

Ok ill bite whats the storyline here.....Rhett goes on about how he saw the first show and hes only wanted to be an ROH wrestler....and how does this relate to Gresham?

ive been watching ROH since 2005-2006. And even i cant see myself enjoying that match up.

id much rather it be Williams vs Gresham.
If you can't see the story of Rhett doing everything for the company and being the nucleus of the Foundation something dating back to the entire reveal, then you don't pay attention closely. The story speaks for itself, Rhett can come out and talk it out or they can show the previously aired special clips that clearly nobody recalls because it was during the best of run. ROH has always been about promoting from within. The reason the company flopped is because that stopped. Reward your loyal soldiers or ya know we can goof off with the dork who spent years on the wall of shame in the ROH office and somehow managed to win the title at the garden for zero reason.
Captain Podcast
Wrestlingisback

Post by Wrestlingisback »

AnHonorableMention wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 6:54 pm

Ryder getting heat in the Indys off his history as a sports entertainment midcarder don’t work for Titus who has been a midcarder on the Indys. For some one who fancies himself the ROH historian with the adorable little podcast such a distinction would seem obvious.

New gen, old school or come in the middle. No one is trying to see Rhett Titus in the main event of arguably the last ROH show unless they have some personal ties to Rhett.

Oh wait…..

Gotta love people taking childish pot shots at successful people who understand the business better than they could ever dream of. Nobody is trying to see ROH in 2021 or 2022 so why not reward your loyal soldier? Oh wait because some dipshit on the internet with no public profile said so. Cool story bro.
The successful person who understands the business from a random message board on a Thursday night. Should you be laying out the card for your next successful show in the business? No?

Going to go off on a limb and say some people will be watching ROH in 2021. Tomorrow night as a matter of fact. So why not give them the best show possible as opposed to rewarding the loyal midcarder who, much as I enjoyed some of Rhett’s work, didn’t have feds beating down his door to test his loyalty.

A show entertaining the paying viewing fans? How novel. Curious how you missed that in your Succesful Wrestling Business Guy Handbook.

Cool story indeed 8-)
indyfan

Post by indyfan »

AnHonorableMention wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 6:58 pm

Stop with new gen vs old gen fans crap. you should be above that. it means nothing. It comes off juvenile

Ok ill bite whats the storyline here.....Rhett goes on about how he saw the first show and hes only wanted to be an ROH wrestler....and how does this relate to Gresham?

ive been watching ROH since 2005-2006. And even i cant see myself enjoying that match up.

If you can't see the story of Rhett doing everything for the company and being the nucleus of the Foundation something dating back to the entire reveal, then you don't pay attention closely. The story speaks for itself, Rhett can come out and talk it out or they can show the previously aired special clips that clearly nobody recalls because it was during the best of run. ROH has always been about promoting from within. The reason the company flopped is because that stopped. Reward your loyal soldiers or ya know we can goof off with the dork who spent years on the wall of shame in the ROH office and somehow managed to win the title at the garden for zero reason.
Ok i can see the story for Rhett here. i guess they could go back on the angle wheres hes mad at the Foundation. but i dont think fans would ve happy with that main event
Montana

Post by Montana »

To be fair… Matt Taven has won gold in Mexico and Japan before winning the Roh championship. His accomplishments go way beyond Rhett Titus. Not saying I want Taven going for the belt… but hard to take Rhett Titus as a serious contender. at this point.
Wavelet Transform

Post by Wavelet Transform »

Haskins would be my choice - no idea whether that's even remotely feasible. Guy was on fire in 2019/2020 when not involved w/ Bully. Would be a great surprise and he and Gresh would tear the house down in a match worthy of the end of an era.

Sadly, a disappointingly large number of people here want Vincent:
https://twitter.com/IanRiccaboni/status ... 3366628359
Wavelet Transform

Zero chance it happens, but that thread also has me thinking about how great Danielson/Gresh would be.....
Wavelet Transform

There's actually a lot of seemingly-plausible options from ROH's past mentioned in the replies to Ian's tweet: Low Ki, Davey Richards, Kyle O'Reilly, Hero, Daniels. No one mentioned it, but assume Aries is available too. Those would all be a big step down (some more than others, obviously) from Bandido for the belt. If the tag belts do main event the show, that lowers expectations somewhat. A fun surprise and a nod to the past might be the best they can do under the circumstances....
AnHonorableMention

Wrestlingisback wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 7:05 pm

Oh wait…..

The successful person who understands the business from a random message board on a Thursday night. Should you be laying out the card for your next successful show in the business? No?

Going to go off on a limb and say some people will be watching ROH in 2021. Tomorrow night as a matter of fact. So why not give them the best show possible as opposed to rewarding the loyal midcarder who, much as I enjoyed some of Rhett’s work, didn’t have feds beating down his door to test his loyalty.

A show entertaining the paying viewing fans? How novel. Curious how you missed that in your Succesful Wrestling Business Guy Handbook.

Cool story indeed 8-)
I don't work in booking but I am in the ear of several tv wrestlers at their request on suggesting lines and local crowd notes from notebooks I'd take traveling for ROH dating back to 2004. I guess Cary Silkin referring to me as an ROH Historian doesn't count either, my bad.
Captain Podcast
AnHonorableMention

Montana wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 8:40 pm

To be fair… Matt Taven has won gold in Mexico and Japan before winning the Roh championship. His accomplishments go way beyond Rhett Titus. Not saying I want Taven going for the belt… but hard to take Rhett Titus as a serious contender. at this point.

Matt Taven was in the position he was in because of an affinity to his look from certain management members. Not my place in regards to that to name names. Dude occupied prime real estate on the wall of shame before SBG bought the place. His in ring skill is beyond insulting to compare to Rhett or most people in ROH.
Captain Podcast
AnHonorableMention

indyfan wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 7:14 pm

Ok i can see the story for Rhett here. i guess they could go back on the angle wheres hes mad at the Foundation. but i dont think fans would ve happy with that main event

Give them the match, they deliver, what do they have to lose? Disappointed crowd gets into a great match?
Captain Podcast
Wrestlingisback

Post by Wrestlingisback »

AnHonorableMention wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 9:31 pm

Cool story indeed 8-)
I don't work in booking but I am in the ear of several tv wrestlers at their request on suggesting lines and local crowd notes from notebooks I'd take traveling for ROH dating back to 2004. I guess Cary Silkin referring to me as an ROH Historian doesn't count either, my bad.
Yeah, I gathered you didn’t work in booking when you though Gresham vs. Rhett Titus as the main event of Final Battle was a good idea solely based on Rhett being loyal and it’s be a good match (which Gresham can get out of literally anyone on the roster).

I’m sure you’re “in the ear” of wrestlers not unlike earwax-sticky and somewhat annoying if not cleaned out regularly.

Great, you’re a “historian” which means you bring nothing to the table that someone with a large collection of ROH DVDs or an Honor Club membership and lots of time on their hands couldn’t. Take a bow chief while you’re on that pedestal you put yourself on 8-) .

None of that makes Titus the choice over the myriad of other options both in or out of the company.
tigermask7.0

Post by tigermask7.0 »

Shame they just did Gresham vs. Dragon Lee. That may have worked as an interim title match.

Possibly do Gresham vs. Dragon Lee vs. Brody King (Interim World Championship?)
Deppen & Homicide vs. Hot Sauce & Rust (Violence vs. Pure)
Isom vs. Rey Horus
It's not easy being the Greatest 7th generation wrestler Of All Time!
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

tigermask7.0 wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 1:47 am Shame they just did Gresham vs. Dragon Lee. That may have worked as an interim title match.

Isom vs. Rey Horus
i like this.
NewROHFan2020

Post by NewROHFan2020 »

Rhett Titus just lost to Austin Aries at NWA Hard Times 2. He definitely should be in the main event at ROH’s last show!!!
kovs27

Post by kovs27 »

tigermask7.0 wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 1:47 am Shame they just did Gresham vs. Dragon Lee. That may have worked as an interim title match.

Isom vs. Rey Horus
Gresham just beat both those guys to get to this match with Bandido. It's a shame Rush isn't available because that's really the match Gresham should have to win the belt.

I'd put Rhett on the team with Hot Sauce to take on Brody and Homicide. That'll free up Deppen to take on Dragon Lee. Those two need a round three with Deppen going over to finish their story.
DougN

Post by DougN »

Fuck it, just throw the card out the window and do a one night tournament.
I've got over 400 ROH DVDs for sale from 2002 to 2018! Let me know if you are looking for any! Can ship anywhere in the world.
AnHonorableMention

Wrestlingisback wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 10:16 pm

Cool story indeed 8-)
Yeah, I gathered you didn’t work in booking when you though Gresham vs. Rhett Titus as the main event of Final Battle was a good idea solely based on Rhett being loyal and it’s be a good match (which Gresham can get out of literally anyone on the roster).

I’m sure you’re “in the ear” of wrestlers not unlike earwax-sticky and somewhat annoying if not cleaned out regularly.

Great, you’re a “historian” which means you bring nothing to the table that someone with a large collection of ROH DVDs or an Honor Club membership and lots of time on their hands couldn’t. Take a bow chief while you’re on that pedestal you put yourself on 8-) .

None of that makes Titus the choice over the myriad of other options both in or out of the company.
This honestly would be funny if it wasn’t dripping with jealousy. What a mark.
Captain Podcast
indyfan

Post by indyfan »

AnHonorableMention wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 8:03 am

With all due respect, outside of your word, theres no proof you re connected in the wrestling business. I mean you cant expect everyone to simply beleive you.

On another board.... people thinking if Danielson vs Gresham happens, it should be Danielson winning. What are your thoughts.
AnHonorableMention

indyfan wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 8:12 am
AnHonorableMention wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 8:03 am

With all due respect, outside of your word, theres no proof you re connected in the wrestling business. I mean you cant expect everyone to simply beleive you.

On another board.... people thinking if Danielson vs Gresham happens, it should be Danielson winning. What are your thoughts.

Yeah except the podcasts mentioning my name, the wrestlers mentioning me in columns on website like pwinsider or the fact there’s literally the best owner in ROH history using my name on his show as a reference point. But you can only speak to the brainless so much.

Nobody under an Aew contract is coming. If Joe Koff wasn’t such a scumbag it would certainly be possible because TK is a huge fan of ROH. But ya know if I was him I wouldn’t send anyone. When the show is over it will be sad either way. What could have been if Joe Koff & his minions didn’t let ego in the way….
Captain Podcast