Where does ROH go from here (Poll)

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!

Where Does ROH go from here

Company returns at ROH in April without contracts as a super Indy
53%
WWE buys the tape library, and ROH goes cold
5%
AEW buys ROH , and use the tape library; and relaunch as another brand
16%
ROH is sold off in pieces and shuts down
5%
ROH stays with sinclair; but a completely new brand is developed
No votes
Sinclair just shuts it down
21%

Total votes: 19

Montana

Where does ROH go from here (Poll)

Post by Montana »

Well... looks like there will be plenty of time to speculate. I feel incredibly bad for the talent; but maybe this is a good thing in the long run. Time will tell. Where do we think things are heading?
dhads7161

Re: Where does ROH go from here (Poll)

Post by dhads7161 »

From what I'm gathering with what their plans after Final Battle with booking talent and cards is they're going to become an east coast/travelling PWG type comoany starting with Supercard.
dhads7161

Post by dhads7161 »

Could see the super indy route, AEW acquiring the comoany, or it being sold in peices.
Wavelet Transform

Post by Wavelet Transform »

Super indy could be good. Of course, it's terrible that guys like Gresham, Lethal, Briscoes, etc... are now off-contract. But, maybe improving the financial situation will ultimately help the company's longevity. AEW has completely changed the wrestling landscape and ROH changing in response to that is probably wise. The big question is what direction do they go in? Great matches alone are no longer enough and, really, haven't been for some time. 2019 ROH had many great, great matches and business still went off a cliff. I've really enjoyed the sports-based presentation, but I think it's likely to go. It's limiting in terms of storylines, since things like backstage attacks should lead to suspensions.
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

ROH was still gonna be headed in this direction inevitably thanks to NXT; AEW just swept in and washed out NXT's attempts to be predatory.
Wavelet Transform

ROH had two of their biggest years attendance-wise in '17 and '18 while losing Cole, O'Reilly, War Machine, Lio Rush, and Punishment Martinez to NXT. So, while NXT weren't helping, they weren't that big of a problem. AEW took ROH's biggest draws away in the Bucks and Cody (who weren't going to NXT anyway). Plus, it created another, better place for talent to go in addition to NXT.
DougN

Post by DougN »

I think ROH shuts down and Sinclair tries to auction off the library for a few years until they get the price they want.
I've got over 400 ROH DVDs for sale from 2002 to 2018! Let me know if you are looking for any! Can ship anywhere in the world.
indyfan

Post by indyfan »

yeah im betting on shutting down...after SCOH. unless AEW starts letting their talent work for ROH sometimes like they do with Beyond, PWG and GCW
Montana

Post by Montana »

The other thing to think about... i imagine the SCOH venue was booked; way in advance. So it's booked one way or the other and it's not like they purposely booked the venue in NOV 21 for the April 22 return. So i think Sinclair is listening to others on the value of the IP & Library; and they'll weigh their options from there. I don't foresee them giving away the library and IP; but if a decent offer comes across; who knows.

Maybe Sinclair evens closes up ROH for a year or two; holds the IP/library and relaunches in like 24-25 once things at Sinclair settle down & COVID is more managed. Plenty of options at this point.
EvanKnight

Post by EvanKnight »

For me, I think the more interesting question is assuming they do relaunch Q2 ‘22, are they successful? I find myself going back and forth between it could be a a refreshing improvement or a spectacular flop.
AnHonorableMention

Post by AnHonorableMention »

Montana wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 8:23 am Maybe Sinclair evens closes up ROH for a year or two; holds the IP/library and relaunches in like 24-25 once things at Sinclair settle down & COVID is more managed. Plenty of options at this point.
ChrisVegas that you?
Captain Podcast
Wavelet Transform

EvanKnight wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 5:12 pm For me, I think the more interesting question is assuming they do relaunch Q2 ‘22, are they successful? I find myself going back and forth between it could be a a refreshing improvement or a spectacular flop.
Depends how you define success. 500 fans 2x per month (1 Honor Club event, 1 TV taping) seems very do-able to me. There's lots of great talent out there and companies like PWG are still putting on killer, sold out shows. Storylines/creative is a different story; I don't think anyone is terribly optimistic on that front for obvious reasons.
Montana

Post by Montana »

AnHonorableMention wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 6:30 pm
Montana wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 8:23 am Maybe Sinclair evens closes up ROH for a year or two; holds the IP/library and relaunches in like 24-25 once things at Sinclair settle down & COVID is more managed. Plenty of options at this point.
ChrisVegas that you?
How is that not an option? If Sinclair on the IP & Library and don't get a fair offer... they either just completely shut it down, return in Apr 22, or return at a later date. I don't see the need to need to rush the "new" ROH; if they do start back up in APR 22. How much is really going to change in 3-4 months; and the same people in leadership? All other major corporations ; Disney / Nintendo; plenty others; purposely hold out on releasing certain content; to drive demand/ as people miss it. I don't know if people grow to miss ROH in a few months. All depends what they have in store i'd imagine.

Or they could get a fair offer; and sell. There are plenty of options on the table.
AnHonorableMention

Montana wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 8:51 am
ChrisVegas that you?
How is that not an option? If Sinclair on the IP & Library and don't get a fair offer... they either just completely shut it down, return in Apr 22, or return at a later date. I don't see the need to need to rush the "new" ROH; if they do start back up in APR 22. How much is really going to change in 3-4 months; and the same people in leadership? All other major corporations ; Disney / Nintendo; plenty others; purposely hold out on releasing certain content; to drive demand/ as people miss it. I don't know if people grow to miss ROH in a few months. All depends what they have in store i'd imagine.

Or they could get a fair offer; and sell. There are plenty of options on the table.
You don't sit on something that is an asset when your company is spiraling to bankruptcy. You have no option here because this "new ROH" whatever that means is going to have the same idiots in charge. It's easier to sell the whole thing and admit failure with a profit than hold on and hope for success.
Captain Podcast
Shanahan

Post by Shanahan »

For the last week or so my son has been tweeting at Elon Musk to buy ROH. Give the kid till the new year and i think he will get it done
AnHonorableMention

Shanahan wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 1:09 am For the last week or so my son has been tweeting at Elon Musk to buy ROH. Give the kid till the new year and i think he will get it done

Hahahah! Good work. Can he work on making Tesla’s more available for me? Trying to purchase one has been one of the more stressful adventures of the last month. Thanks!
Captain Podcast
Montana

Post by Montana »

AnHonorableMention wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 5:58 pm

ChrisVegas that you?

You don't sit on something that is an asset when your company is spiraling to bankruptcy. You have no option here because this "new ROH" whatever that means is going to have the same idiots in charge. It's easier to sell the whole thing and admit failure with a profit than hold on and hope for success.
Sinclair may want to sell their assets, but who knows if there are any serious buyers/offers. They’ve got limited options for buyers. It would seem like only AEW would make sense as a buyer, as WWE doesn’t need the library. Who knows if they get a deal done. If your AEW, what’s the rush?
AnHonorableMention

Montana wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 5:09 pm
AnHonorableMention wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 5:58 pm

Sinclair may want to sell their assets, but who knows if there are any serious buyers/offers. They’ve got limited options for buyers. It would seem like only AEW would make sense as a buyer, as WWE doesn’t need the library. Who knows if they get a deal done. If your AEW, what’s the rush?

John Wooden (second greatest basketball coach ever), once said “be quick but don’t hurry” that fits for both sides. WWE already showed interest, AEW would also seek interest because of the roster there. First rule when selling an asset is make it known it’s not for sale. Don’t half ass it which I guess speaks to what ROH has done with that library. AEW will be less interested once they have a streaming library, ROH should be aggressively shopping the footage.
Captain Podcast
Wavelet Transform

Montana wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 5:09 pm Sinclair may want to sell their assets, but who knows if there are any serious buyers/offers. They’ve got limited options for buyers. It would seem like only AEW would make sense as a buyer, as WWE doesn’t need the library. Who knows if they get a deal done. If your AEW, what’s the rush?
Who would buy it and for how much are the big questions. I tend to think demand for classic ROH is low. There's 10+ hours of new wrestling every week - how many people have time for more than that or prefer classic ROH to new content? Some of the classic ROH content youtube has impressively large (> 300k) view counts, but watching a 15 minute video that gives you like 5 of the greatest moments in ROH history is really different than watching an entire show or even finding a certain moment in a full-show video, to say nothing of having to pay for access to it. It's telling that ROH went from honor club members getting a 50% ppv discount at inception to ppvs now being included w/ membership.

So, ask for way more than it's worth. If Vince or Tony coughs up the money, great. Otherwise, you have content you can use for TV, youtube, etc... indefinitely.