ROH ON HIATUS AFTER FINAL BATTLE 2021, CONTRACTS NOT BEING RENEWED

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
DougN

Re: ROH ON HIATUS AFTER FINAL BATTLE 2021, CONTRACTS NOT BEING RENEWED

Post by DougN »

Eddie always felt real to me. Roderick too. But yeah, Davey Richards always seemed like another version of Low Ki. Not as bullheaded, but just as difficult and just as much about "let me get my shit in." I got that sense from him when he debuted in 2006. He was great in tag teams, but as a solo star, he definitely tries too hard and never read the audience like the others.

The best thing is I can say is years back, a friend of mine was watching that Danielson/Aries match from Testing The Limit 2004. The one where they planned to go like three hours and Danielson read the room, called an audible, and went home early. My friend texted me saying "Davey would have found a way to go four hours."
I've got over 400 ROH DVDs for sale from 2002 to 2018! Let me know if you are looking for any! Can ship anywhere in the world.
dhads7161

Post by dhads7161 »

Cornette had some hits and a lot of misses when he was influential in ROH booking. Loved the Haas & Benjamin run in ROH and the Davey/Eddie/Roddy was good rope to rope wrestling but burying what was his hottest angle at the time with Steen/Generico/Cabana/Corino/Jacobs proved that he is either out of touch or too biased as a creative mind.
DougN

Post by DougN »

I feel like his hits were easy hits and his misses were huge misses.

Once Tyler Black left, Davey, Eddie, and Roderick were right there to take the spot for a bit. It was a no-brainer.

But it was also a no-brainer to see how hot Steen / Generico was.
I've got over 400 ROH DVDs for sale from 2002 to 2018! Let me know if you are looking for any! Can ship anywhere in the world.
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

Lynx wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 7:53 am Is it just me who never really considered Eddie, Davey and Roderick as "rugged, bad motherfucker types"? Davey especially always looked to me like an embarrassing case of "trying too hard". Steen was realer than any of those 3.
Richards is most certainly a bad motherfucker type compared to those who've come into the business that have been inspired by the Elite (without having the charisma of the Elite.) He's Brock Lesnar or Scott Steiner compared to so many on the indies who look and perform like shopping mall kiosk workers that just treat the business as a recreational habit.
DougN

Post by DougN »

I mean, so was Low Ki but the schtick gets old.
Shanahan

Post by Shanahan »

Davey was so good early on and then he turned into false finish king and we turned on him.
DougN

Post by DougN »

I disagree on him being good early on, but the false finish king is totally correct. The only reason he wasn't the false finish king early on is because he was low on the pecking order. If you watch any of his matches in 2006 that went 20+ minutes, they're the same formula as his 2010-2012 run.

Davey works so much better in a tag formula. He's not as concerned about getting his own, personal spots in at the risk of time, interest, and story. It's night and day for me when you talk about Davey the singles wrestler and Davey as a part of NRC or American Wolves.
Shanahan

Post by Shanahan »

I thought he had a very good first year with a bunch of good singles matches and i really good tag match vs briscoes. Then around mid 2007 he started getting worse then eddie saved him until he got the world title and it went downhill. I actually have enjoyed him more in 2021. Very weird :lol:
DougN

Post by DougN »

I've heard he's been great so far. He probably can't take the style of matches he used to do, or at least the level that he used to perform at. Which may be a blessing in disguise.

I know I'm in the minority on Davey at least before Wolves. I just remember being on such a high in 2006 when getting the DVDs and then when KENTA-Davey happened on Fight Of The Century, I completely was turned off and it kind of soured me on the main event which in retrospect, was amazing. And again, this is just me. I thought Davey in 2006 was annoying. The "KENTA's American protege" tag-line was horrific.

But I will say he was getting over.

I thought No Remorse Corps started off rocky (ha) and then got a lot better. And then when Wolves rolled around, Davey found his calling. Singles-wise, it wasn't so much him being on top, but just the length and that his matches got super repetitive.
EvanKnight

Post by EvanKnight »

How would ROH fare as a TV based product like a Lucha Underground or Wrestling Society X?
NewROHFan2020

Post by NewROHFan2020 »

EvanKnight wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 2:07 pm How would ROH fare as a TV based product like a Lucha Underground or Wrestling Society X?
Same as they did.