ROH ON HIATUS AFTER FINAL BATTLE 2021, CONTRACTS NOT BEING RENEWED

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
supersonic

ROH ON HIATUS AFTER FINAL BATTLE 2021, CONTRACTS NOT BEING RENEWED

Post by supersonic »

https://twitter.com/ringofhonor/status/ ... 9696601090
Throughout the pandemic, our top priority was to keep everyone healthy and safe, and despite not producing any live events over 18 months, we were able to keep everyone fully contracted. We now find ourselves at a time where we need to make changes to our business operations and are planning a pivot for Ring of Honor, with a new mission and strategy.

The year will culminate with a Final Battle in December, and we will be taking the first quarter of 2022 to work internally to reimagine ROH. ROH has the most dedicated fans in the industry, and we appreciate their loyalty and patience as we reconceptualize ROH.

We anticipate returning to live events in April for the Super Card of Honor with a new fan-focused product and provide a unique experience for wrestling fans.
https://www.fightful.com/wrestling/roh- ... ll-be-paid
A dark day for Ring of Honor.

Dave Meltzer of the Wrestling Observer reports that Ring of Honor has released all talent from contracts.

Fightful's Sean Ross Sapp reports that the releases are effective at the end of the year and if a contract goes beyond 2021, talent will be paid until March 31.

Sapp added that, "Joe Koff told talent he had multiple meetings trying to fight for ROH, but ultimately Sinclair made the call. Talent was told there was some type of TV show that will be in place after Final Battle but weren't told what that would be."

ROH announced on Wednesday afternoon that the company would take a hiatus from live events for the first quarter of 2022 with hopes to return in April for the Super Card of Honor. According to PWInsider, ROH does have a venue in place for the event.

In an interview with Mike Johnson at PWInsider [direct user-friendly link not provided], ROH COO Joe Koff was asked what the hiatus meant for talent. He replied, "We care very deeply about our people and our talent. This is contractual and an individual conversation. I'm not going to comment on it at this point."

When asked if talent could take bookings elsewhere, Koff said, "We've had a conversation with them and we will certainly work with every talent for whatever needs they need to fulfill what they're looking for."

Fightful reports, "ROH talent was told to contact Greg Gilleland if they want to work elsewhere, and if they're under a deal they'll work on making that happen."

Koff said the company will continue to run original programming on television, though archived footage will be used, and are taping television leading into Final Battle next week.

Fightful will continue to update this story as more is known.
https://www.f4wonline.com/ring-honor/ro ... ent-357701
Contracted talent signed to Ring of Honor won’t have their contracts renewed as the company looks to go on hiatus and re-evaluate in the first quarter of 2022.

Bryan Alvarez is reporting that contracted talent will not have their contracts renewed and are allowed to work anywhere they want immediately. They will also be paid through the end of the year. However, they will finish out remaining ROH dates for 2021. ROH will continue with a November television taping followed by their Final Battle pay-per-view, which will take place on December 11 at the Chesapeake Employers Insurance Arena in Baltimore, Maryland.

Final Battle will be the first card to have fans in attendance since the Death Before Dishonor pay-per-view in September. Recent television tapings have been held without fans.

Rumors that Sinclair Broadcasting, the parent company of Ring of Honor, has canceled ROH’s television show are not true.

ROH this afternoon released a statement saying they would not be holding shows in the first quarter of 2022 in order to “work internally ro reimagine ROH”. The statement also said that they anticipated a return to live events in April for their annual Super Card of Honor event.

Ring of Honor held their first event in February 2002. In 2011, they were purchased by Sinclair Broadcasting.
https://twitter.com/SeanRossSapp/status ... 2294315008
We're told that Joe Koff told talent he had multiple meetings trying to fight for ROH, but ultimately Sinclair made the call. Talent was told there was some type of TV show that will be in place after Final Battle but weren't told what that would be.
Last edited by supersonic on Wed Oct 27, 2021 3:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DougN

Re: ROH ON HIATUS AFTER FINAL BATTLE 2021, CONTRACTS NOT BEING RENEWED

Post by DougN »

Man, this is a huge gut punch for fans and I'm sure beyond devastating for the wrestlers. They'll pick up work for sure, but still devastating. In hindsight, we should have seen it coming. They lost so much last year doing things safe and right while others racked in money doing the opposite. They probably figured they would recoup a lot this year and it just hasn't panned out.
I've got over 400 ROH DVDs for sale from 2002 to 2018! Let me know if you are looking for any! Can ship anywhere in the world.
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

DougN wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 2:56 pm Man, this is a huge gut punch for fans and I'm sure beyond devastating for the wrestlers. They'll pick up work for sure, but still devastating. In hindsight, we should have seen it coming. They lost so much last year doing things safe and right while others racked in money doing the opposite. They probably figured they would recoup a lot this year and it just hasn't panned out.
There are worse ways to go out than to know that this company set the standard for pandemic protocols, and was as close to getting the response to Speaking Out as correct as any promotion was going to get.
Indynut

Post by Indynut »

I am certain they will return. This hiatus they are taking will enable to regroup and possibly sign many who have yet to set foot in ROH. I think they should bring back some concepts from the past like:

Round Robin Challenge
Scramble Matches
Fight Without Honor(I don't know if they were still having them)
Field Of Honor(hasn't been done since the first one)
Montana

Post by Montana »

Bandido has signed on for some GCW shows in DEC already.
Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine »

The fact that TNA will outlive ROH is perhaps the greatest evidence that life isn't fair.
Chrisvegas27

Post by Chrisvegas27 »

Big Red Machine wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 5:15 pm The fact that TNA will outlive ROH is perhaps the greatest evidence that life isn't fair.
I don't know about you but it will hard to invested anything roh right now given roh future up in the air and most of the talent being show cased will be gone
NewROHFan2020

Post by NewROHFan2020 »

Big Red Machine wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 5:15 pm The fact that TNA will outlive ROH is perhaps the greatest evidence that life isn't fair.
TNA/Impact outlived WCW and ECW too
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

indyfan wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 4:41 pm not to mention Marias tweet

https://twitter.com/MariaLKanellis/stat ... 4328013824
So sad man.. :cry:
Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine »

NewROHFan2020 wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 5:51 pm
TNA/Impact outlived WCW and ECW too
Yeah, but those companies were also terrible mismanaged (and especially financially). ROH did so much right for most of its existence while TNA was doing so much wrong for most of its existence, and yet TNA achieved greater success because it was Jeff Jarrett who had a super-rich friend and not Gabe. I have often wondered how different the world of wrestling would be if Dixie Carter gave her money to ROH instead of TNA.
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

still cant believe this shit, hope they can come back, sad day for wrestling.
AnHonorableMention

Post by AnHonorableMention »

It's a sad day. I have so much to say but it's been an incredible emotional and rough 36 hours for me. From the birth of my first niece at 3:36AM yesterday, to a minor medical procedure of my own(key word minor but still a surgery), this morning at 8AM, I'm exhausted. I've tweeted a few things about ROH which can be found @mrjeffschwartz0 but I have a books worth to say about how much Ring of Honor the concept and the people of the pre-SBG years meant to me along with the talents I've gotten to know. This is really horrible for so many good people and at the same time, something that was completely preventable by better business practices, and having competent leadership both creatively & operationally. Just a sad, sad day. Really sad.
Captain Podcast
Lynx

Post by Lynx »

I think we have heard talks and rumours about new TV show before pandemic even started and to me fact that Joe still can't explain to talent what that TV show is going to be like is a major red flag.

At this point I'm just hoping that Final Battle is a good PPV and does give a good ending for many wrestlers and story arcs.
BurningHammer

Post by BurningHammer »

Meltzer confirming what I thought really, ROH is going to be an Indy fed for a point, it’s not a bad idea overall. I hope ROH can have a lot of leeway when it comes to booking talent from other promotions. I’m sure once it’s back wrestlers will want to come back and be part of the new look.
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

https://www.si.com/wrestling/2021/10/28 ... oadcasting
ROH, which on multiple occasions redefined the wrestling space, announced Wednesday that it is effectively going to cease operations as a full-time company. ROH COO Joe Koff, who is an executive for Sinclair Broadcast Group (ROH’s parent company), held a Zoom call for talent to explain the specifics. That included everyone being released from their contract. Not everyone from the roster, however, was on the call, which left multiple people—including some top talent—unaware of the massive change. Sports Illustrated confirmed from multiple sources that contracts expiring on or before March 31, 2022, will be paid out for the duration of the deal. Contracts extending beyond March 31 will necessitate individual meetings between the talent and Sinclair management, most likely to come to terms on a buyout...

If ROH is sincere in its desire to run Super Card of Honor in April, it is odd that talent contracts were not extended to include that date...

The ROH tape library is also available and will go to the highest bidder. ROH has been privately trying to move the library (the Sinclair-owned archive from 2012 on) for more than a year. That includes the All In pay-per-view in September ’18, which was the precursor to AEW. (While AEW owns the trademark, it is ROH that owns the footage.) SI learned that the company is asking for much more than the current market dictates. And while it once seemed like WWE would be a major factor in pursuit of that tape library, it makes slightly less sense now considering that so many former ROH stars have exited WWE.
indyfan

Post by indyfan »

So they are selling ROH library but keeping the name?
Chrisvegas27

Post by Chrisvegas27 »

indyfan wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 1:59 pm So they are selling ROH library but keeping the name?
I don't see roh lasting the end of next year without someone else buying it
Captain_44

Post by Captain_44 »

The article in SI doesn't say the full library it says from 2012 from the Sinclair buy to the present. I take this with a grain of salt too. No one else is reporting it, no one.