ROH ON HIATUS AFTER FINAL BATTLE 2021, CONTRACTS NOT BEING RENEWED

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
monster mafia

Re: ROH ON HIATUS AFTER FINAL BATTLE 2021, CONTRACTS NOT BEING RENEWED

Post by monster mafia »

Observer: From multiple sources in several companies, it does not appear the ROH tape library is for sale at this point.
AnHonorableMention

Post by AnHonorableMention »

monster mafia wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 2:28 pm Observer: From multiple sources in several companies, it does not appear the ROH tape library is for sale at this point.
Not accurate.
Captain Podcast
Chrisvegas27

Post by Chrisvegas27 »

AnHonorableMention wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 4:33 pm
monster mafia wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 2:28 pm Observer: From multiple sources in several companies, it does not appear the ROH tape library is for sale at this point.
Not accurate.
I would think you would want someone else to buy the whole company to keep it alive maybe even put money into the product
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

I think the wrestling media is being used as a negotiation tool.

1 - “SBG wants too much for it!”
2 - “SBG doesn’t wanna sell it anymore!”
Shanahan

Post by Shanahan »

hasn't the tape library been for sale for years? i could have sworn wwe wanted it a few years ago
AnHonorableMention

Shanahan wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 4:52 pm hasn't the tape library been for sale for years? i could have sworn wwe wanted it a few years ago
Correct. They wanted the whole thing, actually.
Captain Podcast
AnHonorableMention

Chrisvegas27 wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 4:39 pm
AnHonorableMention wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 4:33 pm
Not accurate.
I would think you would want someone else to buy the whole company to keep it alive maybe even put money into the product
There's no other Tony Khan's out there. If I had the money, I'd buy the library and IP and shutter it.
Captain Podcast
dhads7161

Post by dhads7161 »

Thinking ROH will become an east coast/traveling PWG on April.
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

pw insider:

A few Ring of Honor notes to clarify some confusion:

CONTRACTS:

*No talents have been released from their contracts yet. Those who have deals running through the end of the year are under contract until that point and will be paid their full salary through 12/31.

*Those with deals running into 2022 will remain under contract until March or April, receiving their full salary until the point they will receive a release.

*All talents who wish to do so have been given permission to go work independent dates immediately if they don't conflict with November's TV tapings and the 12/11 Final Battle PPV. Obviously, every wrestler wants to wrestle, so they are all going to do that to make as much cash as they can. To a person, they all realize they are hitting a crowded open market and are doing what they can to be ahead of the game in the race for bookings.

TAPE LIBRARY:

*I am not sure where this started but Sinclair Broadcast Group purchased the rights to whatever the 2002-2011 ROH tape library contained when they bought the company from Cary Silkin. We have gotten some emails about whether they actually owned the content prior to 2011, but considering they have utilized it many times for compilation DVDs and YouTube, they obviously have the rights. If they didn't, Cary Silkin could have made himself a mint selling it off to WWE or even AEW and that hasn't happened.

*In regard to potential sale of the library, Joe Koff stated in our interview this past Wednesday that there are no conversations and no interest in selling the library. We have heard stories of different discussions in the past, but that doesn't mean it's currently talking place. Of course, things can always change tomorrow, but if we are going to take Koff at his word, there's no current sale discussions right now..

THE FUTURE:

*We are told by numerous Ring of Honor talents that on the Zoom call this week, numerous talents called upon Joe Koff to tell them that the promotion was over if it was actually closing. During the call, Koff repeatedly told them that the company would continue on and resume live events in April.

*The complete roster is booked for the November TV tapings per usual.

*There had been plans to bring in several GCW talents to wrestle The Briscoes at the TV tapings in Baltimore as a way to extend the storyline where the Briscoes won the GCW Tag Team titles but there is no word whether that is still happening.

*Tickets for the Final Battle PPV, which will be the last event for this incarnation of Ring of Honor, will go on sale for the public on Friday 11/5 at 10 AM EST on Ticketmaster.com. Tickets are already on sale for Honor Club subscribers.
tigermask7.0

Post by tigermask7.0 »

Comments about this situation from your boy ... [cornette]
https://youtu.be/O_MVoZJ2uXs
It's not easy being the Greatest 7th generation wrestler Of All Time!
McXal
Donator
Donator

Post by McXal »

Not something I can always say about Jim Cornette - but I’m looking forward to finding a bit of time to check this one out.

As someone intimately involved in brokering the original ROH/Sinclair buy-out and someone with first-hand experience of how Sinclair have mismanaged the product I’m presuming Jim will have some unique insight/opinions. Plus any of his ‘Office Boy Greg’ rants are always amusing…
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

Cornette has his downsides that just have to be shrugged off (particularly neglecting to acknowledge that the Elite have had HOF careers due to his completely understandable irritation with their indy comedy antics in the main event scene).

While he is correct that wrestling is best served with rugged, bad motherfucker types on top to "separate the men from the boys," he doesn't grasp that sticking so stubbornly to this very ideal bit him in the ass a decade ago when he spearheaded the Smoky Mountain of Honor era and chose the most rugged types on the roster to be the headliners. He didn't realize that by clinging to those ideals, he created an incredibly ho-hum main event scene, pushing those having nowhere near the highest level of charisma on the roster compared to those outside his ideal traits like Steen and Generico.

I'll take the Elite's irritating adolescence any day over these days:

AnHonorableMention

McXal wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 4:33 am Not something I can always say about Jim Cornette - but I’m looking forward to finding a bit of time to check this one out.

As someone intimately involved in brokering the original ROH/Sinclair buy-out and someone with first-hand experience of how Sinclair have mismanaged the product I’m presuming Jim will have some unique insight/opinions. Plus any of his ‘Office Boy Greg’ rants are always amusing…
He's so out of touch, his comments weren't worth the word salad he tried to surmise things with. Jim is an out of touch old racist with no clue what is fiscally successful in the present day. I felt like he'd get a little more detailed but his knowledge is so limited he couldn't even be bothered to get animated.
Captain Podcast
Wrestlingisback

Post by Wrestlingisback »

supersonic wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 5:00 pm Cornette has his downsides that just have to be shrugged off (particularly neglecting to acknowledge that the Elite have had HOF careers due to his completely understandable irritation with their indy comedy antics in the main event scene).

While he is correct that wrestling is best served with rugged, bad motherfucker types on top to "separate the men from the boys," he doesn't grasp that sticking so stubbornly to this very ideal bit him in the ass a decade ago when he spearheaded the Smoky Mountain of Honor era and chose the most rugged types on the roster to be the headliners. He didn't realize that by clinging to those ideals, he created an incredibly ho-hum main event scene, pushing those having nowhere near the highest level of charisma on the roster compared to those outside his ideal traits like Steen and Generico.

I'll take the Elite's irritating adolescence any day over these days:

Pretty much it in a nutshell. I like Cornette, and his tastes in wrestling are closer to mine in many ways, but his tenure at ROH was based on his determination to appeal to all the 80s fans who come to him at Legends fanfests and meet and greets and stop him at gas stations talking about how they miss the good old days of bad asses.
He was determined to satisfy them, thinking it was a bigger audience than it was, no matter who it turns off. Last thing Cornette needed was to be given the reins of a promotion with an already established fanbase. He didn’t care about them. Something that has bitten ROH in the butt a few times (See: Ray, Bully)
DougN

Post by DougN »

I never had a problem with Eddie Edwards, Davey Richards, and Roderick Strong as champ. I think the bigger problem was how Cornette tried to force guys like Steen and Generico (and others) out when they should have been the main event scene WITH those three.

ROH from that time period just sounds like a toxic mess though. Hearing Adam Cole talk about the HD Net tapings make me wonder why anyone wanted to stay.
I've got over 400 ROH DVDs for sale from 2002 to 2018! Let me know if you are looking for any! Can ship anywhere in the world.
AnHonorableMention

I will use a quote my grandfather used many times "It's never the puppets fault that the show was lame. Someone has to operate the puppet." The since Gabe was fired has been the direction of the product. There has never been a bad ROH roster or even weak one. It ebbs and flows up and down but it's never been bad. Creative has been very, very bad. Management has been very, very bad.
Captain Podcast
Reaper G

Post by Reaper G »

DougN wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 8:34 am I never had a problem with Eddie Edwards, Davey Richards, and Roderick Strong as champ. I think the bigger problem was how Cornette tried to force guys like Steen and Generico (and others) out when they should have been the main event scene WITH those three.
While bringing in the likes of the Headbangers.
supersonic

Post by supersonic »

The end of Ring of Honor as we know it
- Wrestlenomics Radio

Brandon Thurston and Chris Gullo discuss the latest in WWE and AEW live event news. Then Brandon is joined by Lavie Margolin to talk the news that Ring of Honor will release all its wrestlers and run no events during Q1 2022, as ROH parent company Sinclair Broadcasting looks to cut costs.A subscription to the Wrestlenomics Patreon is a must for understanding wrestling business.
Currently available here - https://wrestlenomics.com/podcast
DougN

Post by DougN »

Reaper G wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 6:58 pm
DougN wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 8:34 am I never had a problem with Eddie Edwards, Davey Richards, and Roderick Strong as champ. I think the bigger problem was how Cornette tried to force guys like Steen and Generico (and others) out when they should have been the main event scene WITH those three.
While bringing in the likes of the Headbangers.
Very good point. I just meant that I had never an issue with Eddie, Davey, and Roderick on top from late 2010 to early 2012. The issue wasn't with them, it was with the booking and other roster choices.
I've got over 400 ROH DVDs for sale from 2002 to 2018! Let me know if you are looking for any! Can ship anywhere in the world.
Lynx

Post by Lynx »

Is it just me who never really considered Eddie, Davey and Roderick as "rugged, bad motherfucker types"? Davey especially always looked to me like an embarrassing case of "trying too hard". Steen was realer than any of those 3.