ROH Glory By Honor night 1 and 2

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
Shanahan

Re: ROH Glory By Honor night 1 and 2

Post by Shanahan »

Big fan of both. Gonna be a really fun match. I hope this means they hang around. Would be a boost to tag division.
BurningHammer

Post by BurningHammer »

NewROHFan2020 wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 4:25 pm Cool. Some random team with the booker and 2 guys 99% of wrestling fans have never heard of, challenging for the 6 man belts in their 1st match together.
Can I ask what wrestling you have watched throughout your years as a fan of wrestling. It generally seems very limited and seemingly centric to a specific area.

As long as both Frightmare and Wicked are over there injuries and bring their A game it will be a great match. I’m hoping this match connects with the cries as Wicked hasn’t necessarily had the fan reaction he should of, but I put a lot of that down to the fan base ROH had at the time.

As a trios I would be more than happy for them to be in around ROH, also Frightmare and Wicked as a tag team would be an interesting addition, and a singles run for both would be great.
indyfan

Post by indyfan »

NewROHFan2020 wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 4:25 pm Cool. Some random team with the booker and 2 guys 99% of wrestling fans have never heard of, challenging for the 6 man belts in their 1st match together.
99% of new ROHfans in 2020 have never heard of.

but i do agree they shouldnt be given a title shot. What ever happened to that concept ROH used for teams to get a title shot in they beat the champs
kovs27

Post by kovs27 »

indyfan wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 4:10 am
99% of new ROHfans in 2020 have never heard of.

but i do agree they shouldnt be given a title shot. What ever happened to that concept ROH used for teams to get a title shot in they beat the champs
I thought a Proving Ground match would have been the way to go.
NewROHFan2020

Post by NewROHFan2020 »

BurningHammer wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 11:19 pm
Can I ask what wrestling you have watched throughout your years as a fan of wrestling. It generally seems very limited and seemingly centric to a specific area.

As long as both Frightmare and Wicked are over there injuries and bring their A game it will be a great match. I’m hoping this match connects with the cries as Wicked hasn’t necessarily had the fan reaction he should of, but I put a lot of that down to the fan base ROH had at the time.

As a trios I would be more than happy for them to be in around ROH, also Frightmare and Wicked as a tag team would be an interesting addition, and a singles run for both would be great.
Right now I only watch ROH and NWA, which I started watching both in 2019. I did watch MLW in 2020, but once their last “season” ended, I don’t plan on watching anymore. I did watch Battle Riot on BeIn Sports though. Horrible.

I watched Impact from 2014-2017 and from 2009-2012. Watched WCW from 1996-2001 and the WWF sparklingly during the same time. I watched WWF and WCW/NWA from like WrestleMania IV until 1991.

I do watch some NJPW stuff, but couldn’t tell you their champions. Only watched after the first Omega/Okada “6 star match” whenever that was. I do watch AEW here and there as well.

I don’t watch every second of wrestling, nor claim to.
EvanKnight

Post by EvanKnight »

The six man is a good match and on track with what they should be doing in Philly. A "proving ground" match may make more ROH sense, but really STP have been running the six man titles as an open challenge, which falls in line with Shane as an opportunity provider and a fearless badass champ, so it isn't really out of line.
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

There is talk of Summerslam being canceled and WWE returning to the Thunderdome soon.

Could have a ripple effect down the line. Of course every state is different and obviously 60,000+ people is a scenario only WWE has to contend with but it's something to keep an eye on.
NewROHFan2020

Post by NewROHFan2020 »

famicommander wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 7:40 am There is talk of Summerslam being canceled and WWE returning to the Thunderdome soon.

Could have a ripple effect down the line. Of course every state is different and obviously 60,000+ people is a scenario only WWE has to contend with but it's something to keep an eye on.
Doubt it. They (state of Nevada) might mandate masks and/or vaccine cards, but they need the tourism. They will do everything they can to make sure Summerslam happens.
Shanahan

Post by Shanahan »

famicommander wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 7:40 am There is talk of Summerslam being canceled and WWE returning to the Thunderdome soon.

I think it goes on but i'm worried more about All Out and NYC show. I have tickets and travel plans booked. My kids may raid the capital if they shut them down. Pray for me.
kovs27

Post by kovs27 »

Shanahan wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 10:46 am

I think it goes on but i'm worried more about All Out and NYC show. I have tickets and travel plans booked. My kids may raid the capital if they shut them down. Pray for me.
The NYC show should be fine as long as it doesn't rain. If they have to close the roof it might be a problem. It could lead to only having a certain amount of people allowed in and I'm sure by the time the event takes place you will have to be vaccinated or pass a PCR test at lest 3 days prior.
Shanahan

Post by Shanahan »

kovs27 wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 11:39 am

The NYC show should be fine as long as it doesn't rain. If they have to close the roof it might be a problem. It could lead to only having a certain amount of people allowed in and I'm sure by the time the event takes place you will have to be vaccinated or pass a PCR test at lest 3 days prior.
I have 2 kids under 12. I talked to a rep for Arthur Ashe 2 weeks ago and got the ok but things have changed so i'll give her another call later today or tomorrow afternoon.
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

Night 1: 207 remaining
Night 2: 149 remaining

The website for the arena where DBD is taking place is screwing up. Can't load the ticket map for DBD or any other event there right now.

In any case, night 2 has now outsold the announced crowd from the last ECW Arena show.
Shanahan

Post by Shanahan »

Taven is a draw!!!!!!
kovs27

Post by kovs27 »

Shanahan wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 12:41 pm
kovs27 wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 11:39 am

I have 2 kids under 12. I talked to a rep for Arthur Ashe 2 weeks ago and got the ok but things have changed so i'll give her another call later today or tomorrow afternoon.
Good move. I hope you get to take your kids. Sounds like they'll have a great time.
Chrisvegas27

Post by Chrisvegas27 »

Njpw running Philly in October might hurt the ticket sells for roh
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

Primary blame goes to ROH itself and the product they put in the ring the last couple times they ran Philly and the general disaster that the second half of 2019 was overall.

If there are any outside sources contributing to the sub-sellout houses they're likely to draw I'd say the lion's share of the blame goes to being head to head against CM Punk's likely AEW debut for night 1 and Summerslam/Pacquiao vs Spence for night 2. Then maybe you could consider MLW and NJPW competition as a tertiary factor.

But, in general, ROH should be able to sell out the ECW Arena any time of year for any level of show (PPV, Honor Club special, TV taping, even a straight up house show). The fact that they can't right now is their own fault first and foremost.

But still, they're going to beat the last announced crowd both nights. That's good progress. Now they have to deliver on the shows and hopefully we'll see the true results the next time they go to Philly.

Anyway
GBH Night 1: 194 remaining
GBH Night 2: 137 remaining
DBD: minimum 186 sold

DBD is ahead of where GBH was at this point, but they also haven't moved ANY seats in days. I think they've reached the limit of the number of people in Lakeland that will buy tickets without a card announced.

It's actually kind of strange they picked Lakeland to begin with. Except for Wrestlemania Weekend it was always a pretty soft market for ROH even in the strongest of days.

Still, as long as they eventually DO decide to announce some damn matches, they should be able to grow over their last announced crowd of 700.
Chrisvegas27

Post by Chrisvegas27 »

Alize and rok c vs Chelsea green and willow is announced for the show
BurningHammer

Post by BurningHammer »

If the talent that is being used for the women's tournament sticks around it will be a very good young roster with the right amount of experience and personality.

Willow especially has impressed me a lot from what I have seen of her this year and the tournament match the other day, if the same amount of care could be put towards the men's roster, it would be much better as a whole.

When you look at the two nights of Glory By Honor, this is exactly why ROH is in a position it is, too many matches that lack story line cohesion, too many tag matches with a sever lack of money grabbing singles matches. Too think they thought Bandido vs Gordon would be what people want to see is a real lack of perspective and shows they really have no clue as to what will draw fans in this day and age. It's almost as if they think they are in 2017 with the Young Bucks bringing in the house and they can just put any matches they want on and it will be fine. ROH is nowhere near the position of having earned back trust and the fan base they lost to be able to put any card on they please.
monster mafia

Post by monster mafia »

Chrisvegas27 wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 12:30 pm Alize and rok c vs Chelsea green and willow is announced for the show
cool match
Montana

Post by Montana »

BurningHammer wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 6:04 pm If the talent that is being used for the women's tournament sticks around it will be a very good young roster with the right amount of experience and personality.

Willow especially has impressed me a lot from what I have seen of her this year and the tournament match the other day, if the same amount of care could be put towards the men's roster, it would be much better as a whole.

When you look at the two nights of Glory By Honor, this is exactly why ROH is in a position it is, too many matches that lack story line cohesion, too many tag matches with a sever lack of money grabbing singles matches. Too think they thought Bandido vs Gordon would be what people want to see is a real lack of perspective and shows they really have no clue as to what will draw fans in this day and age. It's almost as if they think they are in 2017 with the Young Bucks bringing in the house and they can just put any matches they want on and it will be fine. ROH is nowhere near the position of having earned back trust and the fan base they lost to be able to put any card on they please.
I think Flip Gordon vs. Bandido is actually a big pretty match. They haven't built it up at all though. Flip title shot came from like early 2020. Even if they didn't build them up for feuding; they could have promoted Flip a bit more as hunting down the champ. Either way, ROH fans i would think, know that should be a pretty solid main event and show. The other part of the problem; is that the right match for Philly? It's cool, night 2 is getting a cage match; but my guess a hardcore match with like the Briscoes or maybe STP would have done a little better.

We'll see when it's said and done what the attendance looks like.

(another side rant)
I'm not trying to be overly critical; but an observation i've noticed and ROH is not the only company that does this... but probably just notice it more now with just 1 hour of TV; and PPV; but seems like they go hot and cold on wrestlers. For example; Brody King was on a tear starting back on the rebuild, then kinda faded away a bit; then reformed VE but kinda hasn't cared about the title as much. Then there's STP that was getting a big push; didn't win the world title, faded away, got the 6 man titles and haven't done much with them yet. Too much time has spend on the dojo guys . Trying to get them over; instead of getting your stars over the hump. I think it makes sense, if you focus on a select 2-3... but they are injecting Joe Keys, Dante Cabllero, Ken Dixon, Sledge, O'Shea Edwards, Primal Fear, Ryan Mooney, and probably a few others. That's at least 9. Then you still have guys like Brian Johnson and Dak Draper, Dutch, who are still very new; trying to get over. Now they bring back the women's division with like 10 more new women's wrestlers. My guess is the idea to give these wrestlers the exposure now; and when fans come back, they aren't complete strangers.

Long story short, to no one surprise, the rebuild will not be quick, and take a while. Like them or not; AEW is showing them from a marketing and distribution stand point of how it should be done. How to get guys over and promote upcoming shows. You don't steal everything from AEW; but figure out why they are successful. Obliviously they've signed a lot of folks recently; but even like the first year, where they signed guys like Jungle Boy, Sammy, MJF, Darby... made them stars and kept them warm pretty much the whole time. They also got guys with no business being on TV over.