Best in the world 2021

This is the place to discuss all the latest ROH news, announcements and events!
Shanahan

Re: Best in the world 2021

Post by Shanahan »

8.5/10 for me. No bad matches and 3 pretty awesome matches. Now that Bandido is Champ it will be interesting when Haskins returns. Good backstory and match will be awesome.
NewROHFan2020

Post by NewROHFan2020 »

Seeing a few tweets calling anti-vaxer Gordon’s spit on EC3, “gross”. Is it really that different when other wrestlers spit on each other????
AnHonorableMention

Post by AnHonorableMention »

NewROHFan2020 wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 7:48 pm Seeing a few tweets calling anti-vaxer Gordon’s spit on EC3, “gross”. Is it really that different when other wrestlers spit on each other????
As one of the tweeters, yes it is different. Covid is transferred through spit and these two dopes are anti-vaxxers. So yeah, it's different and it's yet another reminder of how tone deaf some people are.
Captain Podcast
NewROHFan2020

Post by NewROHFan2020 »

AnHonorableMention wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 7:51 pm
NewROHFan2020 wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 7:48 pm Seeing a few tweets calling anti-vaxer Gordon’s spit on EC3, “gross”. Is it really that different when other wrestlers spit on each other????
As one of the tweeters, yes it is different. Covid is transferred through spit and these two dopes are anti-vaxxers. So yeah, it's different and it's yet another reminder of how tone deaf some people are.
Couldn’t catch the flu or mono before? Spitting on another person, especially after a fake fight is “gross” whether they’re 2 anti-vaxers or they had just brushed their teeth and used mouthwash after.
AnHonorableMention

Post by AnHonorableMention »

NewROHFan2020 wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 7:56 pm
Couldn’t catch the flu or mono before? Spitting on another person, especially after a fake fight is “gross” whether they’re 2 anti-vaxers or they had just brushed their teeth and used mouthwash after.
The flu and mono are very different from covid 19 and the rising Delta variant. I'm not going to explain science to a denier any further, you already appear to be a lost cause.
Captain Podcast
Shanahan

Post by Shanahan »

AnHonorableMention wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 8:19 pm

The flu and mono are very different from covid 19 and the rising Delta variant. I'm not going to explain science to a denier any further, you already appear to be a lost cause.
They were both tested multiple times. EC3 already had covid, so he has the antibodies. It's gross in 2019 and 2021.
Shanahan

Post by Shanahan »

My son is extremely mad at Flamita because we bought his El PENGUINO shirt for him last summer and "now i can't wear it because he's demonic".
kovs27

Post by kovs27 »

So did the announce team mention how Dragon Lee didn't attack Bandido with the rest of LFI and how Dragon Lee hugged and congratulated Bandido after the rest of LFI left? I don't see any talk of that online and feels like a pretty big story going into Glory by Honor.
Shanahan

Post by Shanahan »

kovs27 wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 8:59 pm So did the announce team mention how Dragon Lee didn't attack Bandido with the rest of LFI and how Dragon Lee hugged and congratulated Bandido after the rest of LFI left? I don't see any talk of that online and feels like a pretty big story going into Glory by Honor.
Good catch. I saw him shaking his head when they were beating him up and took forever to pose with them. I don't want LFI to break up already. Save that for this time next year.
AlexROH

Post by AlexROH »

Great PPV. ROH is really delivering since the restart. They've been working hard this year. The 19th Anniversary was fantastic and their TV product is one of the best right now in the States, however, they were still missing that much needed 'buzz'. After this show, which a consider a home run in terms of booking decisions and reviews from different outlets, it looks like finally the fans are starting to believe that ROH is again the place to see great wrestling.

The show was super fun top to bottom. The crowd was super hot all night and I was happy to see how, differnet to some shows pre-pandemic, the people in the are were actual fans of the product, knew the storylines and reacted with everybody, special mention to the big and deserved pop to Shane Taylor Promotions. Attendance was pretty good overall and the atmosphere really made the difference for my viewing experience.

The undercard was fun and you could see that everybody was extra motivated. The opener was way better than I expected, as well as the trios title match (Im happy to see Castle moving better again). Gordon-EC3 was the worst match of the night, but at least it was shorter than the Anniversary match and EC3 was over with the crowd. The Last Man Standing was your usual good LMS from Silas and now I cannot wait to see Woods doing his own thing.

The second half of the show really made the difference. Even though it could feel a little bit rushed, I think it helped some matches and the main even had a pretty good amount of time. King-Lethal was excellent, Lethal put on a great performance and gave Brody the match that he needed to look like an absolute monster. Same can apply to the Pure Rules match. Gresham is on another level and Bennett put on the best singles match of his career. They started a little slow, but quickly understood how to interact with the crowd.

Deppen-Lee was an amazing sprint, no filler just pure fire, as well as the tag match, it's great to see Dickinson and Homicde as champions, but I'm a little sad for Tracy, him and Rhett had put on some great matches and I wouldnt have had a problem with their reign going longer. Main Event had that big match feel that the audience always add. Rush was so motivated with the reactions from the fans and Bandido put on another killer performance as underdog babyface. I cant get why some people hated the finish, but if that the price to pay to see Rush drop the title clean, and I'm happy with it. Bandido as champion should be great.

Brian Johson & PJ Black vs. The Briscoes (Mark & Jay Briscoe) ⭐⭐⭐1/4
Flip Gordon vs. EC3 ⭐⭐3/4
Shane Taylor Promotions (Shane Taylor, Moses & Kaun) vs. Dalton Castle, Eli Isom & Dak Draper ⭐⭐⭐3/4
[Last Man Standing] Silas Young vs. Josh Woods ⭐⭐⭐1/2
Jay Lethal vs. Brody King ⭐⭐⭐⭐
[Pure Rules] Jonathan Gresham vs. Mike Bennett ⭐⭐⭐⭐
Dragon Lee vs. Tony Deppen ⭐⭐⭐⭐1/4
[Fight Without Honor] The Foundation (Rhett Titus & Jonathan Gresham) vs. Violence Unlimited (Chris Dickinson & Homicide) ⭐⭐⭐1/2
Rush vs. Bandido ⭐⭐⭐⭐1/4

Overall, super cool show top to bottom with a second half with great matches from different styles. Hopefully this brings more eyes to the product, because it's good and the roster right now is full of talent.

Final rating: 8,75 / 10.
Montana

Post by Montana »

Well... Glad i ordered the PPV. Great show; 9/10 and it's been the best PPV i've seen all year. I've mostly seen the WWE/AEW/ROH shows.

I watched it in two parts as i got home late Sunday night; luckily off today.

Pre-Show

Flamita vs. Rey Horus -3.5 - Nice way to start the show.

Taven Segment - Was OK, thought it was odd Taven would offer his career up. Then Vincent wanted the title shot instead; like why wouldn't vincent just say give me the title shot, and you have the match. It somehow turned into , IF you beat me; you'll get an ROH title shot. The Taven beard thing is kinda weird looking; but i guess he's going crazy. Oddly enough; he still has the side of his head shaved. Whatever.

PCO/DanHausen vs. Bouncers 3.25 - Fun little match.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Briscoes vs. PJ Black & Brian Johnson, - 3.5+ - Great PPV opener. Exceeded expectations. Good to see; Johnson and the Briscoes going at it. I'd like to see more of these teams going at it.

Flip Gordon vs. EC3 - 3.25 - Entertaining match for me; something different from the other matches. Thought it was fine.

STP vs. Castle/Dak/Eli - 3.75 - STP certainly seemed pretty over with the crowd. Nice match.

Silas Young vs. Josh Woods - 3.5 - Nice ending. Good match.

Jay Lethal vs. Brody King - 4.0 - Felt like a main event match. I thought this would have been a good time to give Jay Lethal a big win. He's been eating a lot of Losses lately. Think this would have been an ideal time; to give him a big win, without a title.

Gresham vs. Bennett - 3.75-4.0 - Again, really good ending/closing to the matches.

Dragon Lee vs. Tony Deppen 4.5 - off the top of my head, i can't think of a better match this year, from the 3 companies matched earlier; that i've seen. This match had everything i like. Strikes, high impact moves, some high risk.

Foundation vs. Violence Unlimited - 3.5 - I liked how the start of this match, made you feel like this was a big moment for Titus (at least for me). I think if he would have won, it certainly would have helped cement he's not a low-end jobber guy. They lost the titles, which i guess is fine. Kinda felt like it was more evening out VE/LFI/Foundations for titles though.

Rush vs. Bandido 4.0-4.25 - Started with a bang, but kinda slowed, and picked up a lot at the end. Going into this match, i probably gave Bandido about a 10% chance, as Rush has been champion for a while. When watching the match, he still feels like a "star" to me; but i'm not sure, if he gets the crowd reaction he should. Even the 2019/2020 shows. Not sure what missing, or if it's just the connection. Either way; Rush really needed a really good match like this. Bandido winning was pretty awesome. Not only a surprise; but just good to see them going in this direction. Certainly feels like he's out-gunned right now; with like 4 LFI members, and basically it's like him and Horus still amigos.

Again 9/10, really good show for me. It was like one match to the next; no filler time. I watched in 2 sittings; which is probably preferred as 4 hours of non-stop action would be tough to watch. Dragon Lee and Deppen was fantastic. Excited to see where ROH goes next with Bandido. Every match on here was above average imo.

In terms of crowd size; seemed decent. Obviously social distancing unlike any other promotion.
NewROHFan2020

Post by NewROHFan2020 »

I’m not a denier. It’s just common sense. I am saying, it’s no more gross than 5 years ago. It’s not less gross if 2 pro-vax guys did it.
NewROHFan2020

Post by NewROHFan2020 »

Shanahan wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 8:40 pm

They were both tested multiple times. EC3 already had covid, so he has the antibodies. It's gross in 2019 and 2021.
Yuup. AHM, thinks we’re saying COVID is fake. Oh well, he’s a lost cause.
indyfan

Post by indyfan »

hmm heres my ratings

Horus vs Flamita ***1/4 Great opener!! Crowd was into it and both guys looked great!!!

Taven segment was fine. Vincents "ill bury you just enough to watch me win the world title" was great.

DanHaussen and PCO vs Bouncers ***1/4 Just a fun match. Danhausen is really over. PCOs swaton on the apron was sick. Props to Bruiser for taking it

Briscoes vs Johnson and Black ***1/4 good stuff. Johnsons promo was a good way to get both Briscoes on the same page to defend their family. Smart play there. Jay vs Brian needs to happen

Ec3 vs Flip **3/4 it was ok. crowd didnt care for it.

Castle, Isom, Draper vs STP. ***1/2 Great match. Super happy for STP and over they were. loved Ians commentary about the backgrounds of Kahn and Moses. Props to Isom who also looked great and Castle for making sure his team was heel. his suplexs looked great too!!

Woods vs Young ***1/4 I- ***1/2 t was great and had a logical ending. You were able to sense the hate and that was important. a few more minutes would of helped

Lethal vs King ****1/4 What a fuckin match!!!! King looked like boss and destroyed Lethal. King cam out looking like a million bucks.

Gresham vs Bennett **** By far and away Bennetts best singles match. Gresham is a fuckin machine. Bennett was also great in this.

Deppen vs Dragon Lee ****1/4 Insane stuff.. Maybe my match of the night. Deppen and Lee just tore it down.

Homicide and Dickinson vs Titus and Gresham ***3/4 Fuckin brutal. Rhetts landing on the chair was insane. Happy for Homicide as he was super over and finally got the ROH tag straps

Bandido vs Rush **** Great main event. Im fine with the finish. super happy for Bandido as he deserves it.

9/10 easy.
Lynx

Post by Lynx »

I really hate when someone threatens to stab someone unless they tap or quit or whatever. Just takes me out of the match so to me, unfortunately, tag titles match was the worst match on the card. Whole women wrestling thing was trash as well.

But other than that I enjoyed (or loved) everything that RoH showed. Surprisingly even Flip/EC3 was fine.
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

Last night's Ring of Honor Best in the World PPV drew in the area of 1,250 paid fans with some additional guests and comps in Baltimore, PWInsider.com is told. The PPV was an extremely strong show with a push to ascend a lot of talents to the next level, including Bandido, Brody King, Mike Bennett and more. It is well worth checking out the replay on FITE.TV.
https://www.pwinsider.com/article/14865 ... e.html?p=1

So they definitely released more than the 700. My initial guesses were closer than I thought; the WrestleTix website threw me off.
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

famicommander wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 11:19 am If we look at the least sold section, which is section 200, there are currently 86 tickets remaining out of a possible 301. It looks like a few have sold. If we say that's about 15, then that would hold with 33% of each section being released which would point to 1035 tickets being originally released based on the 3106 total seats in the sections they opened.

EDIT:
Actually, if you look at section 201, there are 246 possible tickets and 90 still available. That's already over 36% and some have already sold. So maybe they released closer to 40%?

Based on 3106 seats:
25% - 777 seats
30% - 931 seats
35% - 1087 seats
40% - 1242 seats
45% - 1397 seats
50% - 1553 seats

I don't think there's any way they released over 50%. Has to be somewhere in the range above.
I think I nailed it with this post here.

I'm going to say they released about 45% of the available seats which would put their capacity at about ~1400. That would match up with there being 200 or fewer unsold seats by the time the show started which gets us to our roughly ~1250 paid number, then the remainder got in on comps. Probably a hundred or so to bring the capacity with comps to around 50% of the ~3100 seats in the sections they opened.
Chrisvegas27

Post by Chrisvegas27 »

famicommander wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 8:27 am
famicommander wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 11:19 am If we look at the least sold section, which is section 200, there are currently 86 tickets remaining out of a possible 301. It looks like a few have sold. If we say that's about 15, then that would hold with 33% of each section being released which would point to 1035 tickets being originally released based on the 3106 total seats in the sections they opened.

EDIT:
Actually, if you look at section 201, there are 246 possible tickets and 90 still available. That's already over 36% and some have already sold. So maybe they released closer to 40%?

Based on 3106 seats:
25% - 777 seats
30% - 931 seats
35% - 1087 seats
40% - 1242 seats
45% - 1397 seats
50% - 1553 seats

I don't think there's any way they released over 50%. Has to be somewhere in the range above.
I think I nailed it with this post here.

I'm going to say they released about 45% of the available seats which would put their capacity at about ~1400. That would match up with there being 200 or fewer unsold seats by the time the show started which gets us to our roughly ~1250 paid number, then the remainder got in on comps. Probably a hundred or so to bring the capacity with comps to around 50% of the ~3100 seats in the sections they opened.
I think most people would consider that a win
famicommander

Post by famicommander »

Obviously it's a win. 1250 paid with social distancing is incredible when they drew 1,000 (probably with a lot of comps) the last time they charged for tickets in the venue.

If this weren't a socially distanced show they probably would've completely sold out both the floor and the lower bowl. Could've been a 2000+ person crowd.
NewROHFan2020

Post by NewROHFan2020 »

famicommander wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 8:33 am Obviously it's a win. 1250 paid with social distancing is incredible when they drew 1,000 (probably with a lot of comps) the last time they charged for tickets in the venue.

If this weren't a socially distanced show they probably would've completely sold out both the floor and the lower bowl. Could've been a 2000+ person crowd.
Lost opportunity and short sighted to cater to a niche part of the audience.